PDA

View Full Version : Panama

ClubDave
09-05-2004, 02:15 AM
possibly vh's shining moment....let me elaborate.......i think if we wanted to get real specific and talk about the best musical moment in any cvh song........i would say the breakdown in panama is their finest moment.........the exoticness in eddies riff is so chill, it puts a smile on my face......and all the drama that builds up, especially by the time where dlr starts his little speech( "yeah were ridin a little bit hot tonight") and than it slowly picks up intensity......i love thta part, and i love that damn song, when you listen to that breakdown....listen to mikes bass line.....it really sounds awesome

TongueNGroove
09-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Yep, I have to agree. Panama is just an amazing song melodicaly. It has so many different feels in it.

Snow Ho
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
i know its overplayed alot- but i agree especially the interlude. its the first van HALEN song i heard (early 90's?) i only knew the name from that right now song and thought how can evh be praised in all these guitar magazines?? he doesn't even play guitar?

then i heard 'panama' and learned about the singer change and to my surprise at one time he WAS a guitar god.

Matt White
09-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ClubDave
i think if we wanted to get real specific and talk about the best musical moment in any cvh song........i would say the breakdown in panama is their finest moment.........
and all the drama that builds up, especially by the time where dlr starts his little speech( "yeah were ridin a little bit hot tonight") and than it slowly picks up intensity......i love thta part, and i love that damn song, when you listen to that breakdown....

And when they played it live, ClubDave, they would PAUSE for a moment..........right at the peak ......before going back in with PANAMA!!!! The build to that crescendo....BRILLIANT!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

diamondsgirl
09-22-2004, 01:01 AM
this is why it is so hard to choose a favorite classic VH tune.
Just when I think I have all my favorites lined up...another beauty pops back up.

PANAMA!

the video is funny as hell, too

lms2
09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Panama is one of my least favorite Dave era tunes.

knuckleboner
09-29-2004, 10:39 AM
heh heh. panama is my all-time favorite song.

it really introduced me to rock at age 10. if i try to be unbiased, i still think it's a great song.

but i've got kind of a hero-worship thing going with it. no song will ever supplant it, no matter how good.

TongueNGroove
10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
The song is so good I felt compeled to do a cover of it, no vocals of course.

Get it here (http://www.getpowered.net/lee/TNGPanama.mp3)

Rikk
10-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
The song is so good I felt compeled to do a cover of it, no vocals of course.

Get it here (http://www.getpowered.net/lee/TNGPanama.mp3)

Man, you sure suck. Don't quit your day job, TONGUE-IN-ASS.

DeadOrAlive
10-03-2004, 08:14 PM
The video is great.

interceptor
10-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Agree, favorite Van Halen song, period. Love the video, too, especially the beginning when you go from that plane nearly stalling to the intro. I actually have the promo poster for this song when it was released as a single, shows Dave in mid air with the boombox.

stilleddiesangel
10-16-2004, 10:02 AM
I fucking LOVE Panama... me and my girls have it on full blast in my kitchen when we're cooking dinner and my 13 year old always does the talking bit... her fave VH tune.. Classic, quality stuff!! Rock on!!!
:rockit2:

LickMyCream
10-21-2004, 12:37 AM
you mean the part where it goes....

you reach down put it between my legs?

teamaa104
10-21-2004, 08:33 PM
when i saw van hagar this summer, sammy gave the mic to the audience during the "yeah were ridin a little bit hot tonight" and the guy goes "sammy hagar is no david lee roth"

stilleddiesangel
10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LickMyCream
you mean the part where it goes....

you reach down put it between my legs?

Huh!! scary but true... Kids agrowing up too damn fast today..

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/5926/panama2.jpg

Pure 110% down and dirty CLASSIC Van Halen.. The dogs bollox!!!

academic punk
12-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw that video! I was watching MTV and before the credits even came up all you see is that plance verging on crashing and right away I knew it was Van Halen (and at this point, I only really knew VH through the Jump video and individual songs like Runnin' With The Devil)! A GREAT example of what kind of signature sound and image Dave helped the band establish.

Same with the "California Girls" and "Yankee Rose" videos...there's just some essential bizarre-ness and unique perspective that lets you know, even if the only thing you see on the screen is "...And so the adventure begins!", that you're about to enter Dave-TV!