PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Rock

secrets
09-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Rush are filling up stadiums with their 30th anniversary tour which proves that there is still a market for prog rock.

In Classic Rock magazine this month they suggest progressive rock is coming back and has a bright future.

Who here likes prog rock/metal?

Which bands would you recommend either past or present?

Here's a nice site if any one's interested:

http://www.progarchives.com/

gary191265
09-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Depends whether you want old bands or new bands ? Proper progressive bands or just 70's re-hashes.

I'd say Tool, Muse and Radiohead for starters...whether you like Radiohead or not, they're certainly progressive.

Mr Badguy
09-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I love old school prog.

Sci-fi lyrics, big concepts, pompous arrangements, stupid tempo changes, I love it.

However, I don`t listen to that many new bands to be honest.

Not too many bands do the above anymore, although I`d love some recommendations.

gary191265
09-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Porcupine Tree...

secrets
09-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I just got into Dream Theater recently, amazing stuff. You can hear they like Rush and I think they play 2112 in their live gigs.

Only heard one song by Spock's Beard but it was good.

Who else is doing prog?

Threshold only heard one song but I liked it.

American band called Cave In, sound a bit like early 80's Rush with a twist of U2.

On the more 'out there' side (i.e instrumental prog) I don't think you can beat Ozric Tentacles though like Rush they seem to be a totally underground success story.

Their albums just sell because of their reputation.

Mr Grimsdale
09-07-2004, 05:53 PM
there's a UK band called Sikth

their album is called "the trees are dead and dried wait for something wild"

the first song is very prog, Scent of the Obscene, plenty of twists and turns rhythmically and dynamically, great chorus

mind you the vocals in the verse are a bit er... different