PDA

View Full Version : Saddam's WMD never existed, says chief American arms inspector

Pink Spider
01-24-2004, 03:14 AM
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
24 January 2004

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=484185

David Kay, who stood down yesterday as head of the Bush administration's hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, said that he did not believe that any stockpiles of such weapons ever existed.

Mr Kay, a former UN inspector, said that most of what was going to be found in the hunt for Saddam Hussein's WMD had already been uncovered. The returning of sovereignty to the Iraqis would make the search more difficult, he added. "I don't think they existed," Mr Kay said, referring to Saddam's alleged stockpiles of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. "What everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the [1991] Gulf War and I don't think there was a large-scale production programme in the Nineties."

Mr Kay's comments will be an embarrassment for the Bush administration. Earlier this week the Vice-President, Dick Cheney, one of Washington's most outspoken hawks who led the rallying cry for war insisting that Saddam possessed WMD, said the outcome of the search was not clear. "I think the jury is still out," he said. "It's going to take ... time to look in all of the cubby holes and ammo dumps in Iraq."

Despite having the resources of more than 1,000 personnel dedicated to the hunt for such weapons, an interim report issued by Mr Kay in October conceded that no weapons had been found, even though there was evidence Iraq had retained the "template" of a weapons programme.

The Bush administration appears determined to continue its public stance that such weapons could be discovered.

Donald Anderson, the Labour chairman of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, said that Mr Kay's comments posed serious problems for British and American intelligence agencies. "My understanding is that the President and the Prime Minister were acting on intelligence then available [at the time of deciding to go to war]. So this raises very important questions about the quality of that intelligence," he told BBC's Newsnight.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "It is important that people are patient and we let the Iraq Survey Group do its work. Their work is continuing and we should await the outcome of that. Our position is unchanged."

FORD
01-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Fucking lying bastards.

BigBadBrian
01-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Fucking lying bastards.

I agree. That Kay dude knows damn well they are there.

I guess those totally anonymous rebel leaders interviewed by Newsweek were lying when they said 82mm mortars with chemical warheads. :gulp:

FORD
01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

I guess those totally anonymous rebel leaders interviewed by Newsweek were lying when they said 82mm mortars with chemical warheads. :gulp:

You must have missed this thread. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&forumid=16&threadid=695) There were no chemical weapons found.

BigBadBrian
01-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by FORD
You must have missed this thread. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&forumid=16&threadid=695) There were no chemical weapons found.

No, I didn't miss that thread. Not the same mortar rounds.

Seshmeister
01-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

I guess those totally anonymous rebel leaders interviewed by Newsweek were lying when they said 82mm mortars with chemical warheads. :gulp: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: