PDA

View Full Version : We’re Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

Keeyth
09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
How did the Party of Lincoln and Liberty transmogrify into the party of Newt Gingrich’s evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull and rigid man, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts trying to walk?
By Garrison Keillor August 26, 2004

Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once, it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element. The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day, who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education burgeoned—and there was a degree of plain decency in the country. Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today’s. Richard Nixon was the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the poor.

In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who, while George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and made training films in Long Beach. The Nixon moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a legion of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk politics. “Bipartisanship is another term of date rape,” says Grover Norquist, the Sid Vicious of the GOP. “I don’t want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.” The boy has Oedipal problems and government is his daddy.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks, Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong’s moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the rest of us, Newt’s evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of the world thinks we’re deaf, dumb and dangerous.

Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and write legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires! Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine Grace.

Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform of tragedy—the single greatest failure of national defense in our history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government impotent, even as we engage in a war against a small country that was undertaken for the president’s personal satisfaction but sold to the American public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose purpose is to distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking place in this country, flowing upward, and the deception is working beautifully.

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what happens to ours. The omens are not good.

Our beloved land has been fogged with fear—fear, the greatest political strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy and silence the opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public education to a standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.

There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn’t the Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it’s 9/11 that we keep coming back to. It wasn’t the “end of innocence,” or a turning point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse of security. And patriotism shouldn’t prevent people from asking hard questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national security at the time.

Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing done in his second term.

This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and bodies being carried out and they will lie about their economic policies with astonishing enthusiasm.

The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know what books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.

This is a great country, and it wasn’t made so by angry people. We have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we’re not getting any younger.

Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank you, dear reader. It’s a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is more to life than winning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garrison Keillor is the host and writer of A Prairie Home Companion, now in its 25th year on the air. This adapted excerpted from Keillor’s new book, Homegrown Democrat (© 2004) is reprinted by arrangement with Viking, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.

Sgt Schultz
09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
"This is a great country, and it wasn’t made so by angry people. We have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we’re not getting any younger."

I listen to Prairie Home Companion every week and have 2 of his books. He's got much to offer artistically but he misses the mark politically. I think the above exceprt applies to today's Democrat, not Republican. Lately Garrison has really alienated a lot of his listeners and readers (not me) because he makes a mistake common to other artists - he lumps all Republicans into one group and thinks that there are VERY few Republicans who like his work - I mean after all, how could a semi-retarded red-neck listen to HIS show and read HIS books, aren't they all watching NASCAR??

Garrison should stick to his art and try to embrace ALL of his fans, Dems and Republicans alike.

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
" there are VERY few Republicans who like his work - I mean after all, how could a semi-retarded red-neck listen to HIS show and read HIS books, aren't they all watching NASCAR??"

That is the most beautifully poetic description of republicans I have heard yet! So much so, in fact, I think I'm going to use it as my signature!!!:D

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I think the above exceprt applies to today's Democrat, not Republican.

Amen!

:elvis:

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I think the above exceprt applies to today's Democrat, not Republican.

Uh, no... ...he specifically says Republican, and that IS to whom it applies best. That is, unless you guys are flip-flopping on what party you really support!:D

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Maybe you need to look deeper into what real republicans believe in and stand for...

ODShowtime
09-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I think everyone does, especially old georgie boy.

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Somebody say flip flop?

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Maybe you need to look deeper into what real republicans believe in and stand for...

Why would I do that when I know they are all letting themselves be brainwashed by a criminal who sits in the White House he was never legally elected to???

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Whatever dude...

FORD
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM

Maybe YOU need to do that. Keillor absolutely NAILS the neocon bullshitters and what they have done to the Republican party. And also the tragic fact that so many Republicans can't even see what they're supporting.

Pat Buchanan sees it. Bob Barr sees it. These are guys who were considered right wing extremists only a few years ago, but now seem to be "moderates" compared to the neocons who have hijacked your party.

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I wanna know who hijacked you mind?

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Liberal bullshit
Maybe YOU need to do that. Keillor absolutely NAILS the neocon bullshitters and what they have done to the Republican party. And also the tragic fact that so many Republicans can't even see what they're supporting.

Pat Buchanan sees it. Bob Barr sees it. These are guys who were considered right wing extremists only a few years ago, but now seem to be "moderates" compared to the neocons who have hijacked your party.

I disagree...

Circle gets a SQUARE!

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Maybe YOU need to do that.

I have, asswipe!

You should know I have...

Get real!

FORD
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
You get real....

All I see on this board anymore is fucking hatred. Schultz and Asscrotch are the only ones who even attempt to discuss the issues and even their responses are based in what they hear on Clear Channel.

You guys are willfully ignorant to what a bunch of fascists have done to a once honorable party. And no, fascist is not an exaggeration, given the origins of the Bush money, and the practices they continue to this day.

Abe Lincoln would rather be shot in the head again than be associated with this party. Teddy Roosevelt would probably speak softly and bash a neocon's head in with his big stick, and Ike - who saw the early BCE in action and tried to warn you - would probably be planning to storm Kennebunkport just like he did Normandy. Even Nixon would likely be appalled at how far the BCE has gone.

I make no claims of the Democratic party being perfect. We have our own neocon disease infestation and it's called the DLC. But at least I recognize that threat to the party - and by extention the entire country, and am actively opposing them whenever and however possible. What are YOU doing to stop BCE & PNAC??

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm doing the same thing you are doing, thank you very much!

You underestimate nearly everyone you come in contact with with your higher than mighty attitude!

Fuck you man!

The world is NOT as you see it, and it's about time you wake up and look out the window!

There are no black hellicopters flying over your house...

The sky is NOT falling...

Get a life!

diamondD
09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
FORD, how can you preach about the hatred of others when you censor opposing views?

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Exactly!

FORD
09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
FORD, how can you preach about the hatred of others when you censor opposing views?

What fucking purpose is served by posting a FAKE picture of an 85 year old man in a KKK uniform?

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:55 PM
What's it to you ??

I dare you to alter an image that I post!

FORD
09-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm doing the same thing you are doing, thank you very much!

You underestimate nearly everyone you come in contact with with your higher than mighty attitude!

Fuck you man!

The world is NOT as you see it, and it's about time you wake up and look out the window!

There are no black hellicopters flying over your house...

Actually, I just looked out the window, and caught this with my digital camera.....

http://www.awitness.org/news/june_2001/columbia_military_death_squad_photos/black_canadian_helicopters.jpg

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm sure you believe that...

Oh well...

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2004, 01:10 PM
I love the smell of liberals burning in the morning....smells like victory!

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that photo op is realistic...:rolleyes:

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Man, that pic is sickening...

What a fucking fake!

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Get a life!

I think you need to heed your own advice...

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Can somebody tell me why my signature isn't showing up anymore? It was there when I created in earlier in this thread, but now it has dissappeared in the last few posts... ...is someone editing it?

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Stop drinking and doing drugs and you will see it...

FORD
09-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Keeyth
Can somebody tell me why my signature isn't showing up anymore? It was there when I created in earlier in this thread, but now it has dissappeared in the last few posts... ...is someone editing it?

Signatures only show up in your first post of the thread.

FORD
09-15-2004, 02:16 PM

While that sounds like good advice on the surface, it would appear that there are people on this planet who actually have better mental functioning while high than they do "sober".

Know anyone like that?

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 02:19 PM
No!

FORD
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
How about someone who actually used to think about things (albeit with a hazy mind) but who now responds to anything with whatever the prepackaged response of hate radio happens to be that week.

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Signatures only show up in your first post of the thread.

Ah, thank you. I did not know that.

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
If you're trying to describe George Bush, you're wrong!

BTW, have you been listening to Rush ??

I think so...:D

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 02:25 PM

#1.) I don't do drugs
#2.) I have never had a signature in my profile before, so I didn't know it only showed up once per thread.
And
#3.) You are an asshole. (not like you didn't know that or weren't trying to be, I know, I know)

FORD
09-15-2004, 02:28 PM
If you're trying to describe George Bush, you're wrong!

BTW, have you been listening to Rush ??

I think so...:D

George Bush Jr and Mush Limpdick would be two prime examples. But actually, I was referring to YOU.

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I know...

I can take it...

FORD
09-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Seriously dude....

I'm not saying you should do drugs again, but maybe you just replaced one addiction with another? And right wing zombie-think is just as harmful of an addiction from where I'm sitting :(

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 02:39 PM
You're understimating me.. again...:rolleyes:

Try again...

Keeyth
09-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Seriously dude....

I'm not saying you should do drugs again, but maybe you just replaced one addiction with another? And right wing zombie-think is just as harmful of an addiction from where I'm sitting :(

You know, there are some people who, with them it's like, if they are NOT on drugs, well DAMN! Maybe they NEED to be!!!:D