PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Nighthawk - Opinions please!

sambo
09-08-2004, 10:54 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a 1996 Gibson Nighthawk Special with 3 pickups, Vintage Sunburst.

I have never played one and have only read a few reviews. I will be inspecting it when I travel interstate in the next few weeks. It is in excellent condition, only been gigged occassionally, no scratches, b/buckle rash, fret wear etc.

I am yet to get negotiate on a price and I am yet to get a starting offer.

Needless to say I will never buy a guitar without playing it first hand, but I'd appreciate some opinions of people who own or who have played one (including price estimates if possible!)

Cheers!

It is basically this one, but with a vintage sunburst finish

ELVIS
09-08-2004, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't give much for it...

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/68/b3/88_1.JPG

Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=3746724221&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

:elvis:

sambo
09-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Cheers for the reply - appreciated (and a vote from me boss!)

Yeah I agree. Probably around the $600 AUD ($420USD) for an excellent condition 1996 is as high as I'll go.

Still haven't played it yet, could suck...

ELVIS
09-09-2004, 12:52 AM
To me, that crazy pickup configuration is a total turn off...

Still could be a nice guitar though...

sambo
09-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah, what is like 10 pickup settings via a push/pull knob? I use 2, maybe 3 on my strat and my volume knob to get all the sounds I need..

And if it doesn't give me a different sound compared to my existing guitars then what's the point?

I agree, the pickup config does look a bit ridiculous.....

I wonder how it sounds... most of the reviews on www.harmonycentral.com were complementary...we shall see

ELVIS
09-09-2004, 01:58 AM
I imagine the mini humbucker in the neck position sounds nice...

I'm wondering what the bridge pickup configuration is...

It doesn't look as though it lends itself well to modification...

Good luck!

Nitro Express
09-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I like the new Nighthawk with the P-90 pickups and the BB King Signature Nighthawk. They sound like a Les Paul Jr with more selection in the sound due to coil splitting and phasing options available by a turn switch. You can snag a new Nighthawk for about $800.

The newer ones don't have the crazy pickup configuration. I have several three pickup guitars and to be honest, I never use the middle pickup. I have an SG Custom that I turn the middle pickup volume up to 5 sometimes to round out the sound but it still sounds good with the middle pickup turned off. On my Strat I lower the middle pickup flush with the pickguard to get it out of the way because I never use it. Three humbuckers look badass on a Gibson Black Beauty Les Paul with the Bigsby tremelo but a good old Les Paul Standard with two pickups is going to give you all the sounds you need, plus you don't have that middle pickup getting in the way of your picking.

sambo
09-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Cheers Nitro for the info... by the time I get to play this thing I think I will have a pretty good idea... and unless it sonically blows me out of the water I think it will be a "no"

Nitro Express
09-09-2004, 02:36 AM
I realy like the Nighthawk with the P-90's. You crank it up and it has balls but sounds great clean. The guitar is pretty damn versitile. Great for rock, blues, reggae, or whatever.

It might not be the greatest guitar for shredding but for classic rock, Fuck yeah! Plus it's light and comfortable. I love Les Pauls but they are not the most comfortable thing to have hanging on you.

With Gibsons you do have to be careful not to break the headstocks off of them. The headstock/neckjoint is amazingly fragile. Not the best guitar to have laying around. You really have to keep Gibsons in a case to keep them safe. Unlike a strat or Wolfgang Special where you can just kick them around and nothing breaks.

sambo
09-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Cool as.... I'll come back to this thread when I have played it...

Good point - I may be pleasantly surprised.... but the Gibson I am looking at is a 1996 and does not have the P-90s

Cheers again..we shall see.

turboblues
09-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

... I have several three pickup guitars and to be honest, I never use the middle pickup. I have an SG Custom that I turn the middle pickup volume up to 5 sometimes to round out the sound but it still sounds good with the middle pickup turned off. On my Strat I lower the middle pickup flush with the pickguard to get it out of the way because I never use it... ...a good old Les Paul Standard with two pickups is going to give you all the sounds you need, plus you don't have that middle pickup getting in the way of your picking. You never use that "Dire Straits" in between sound (between middle and bridge pup)? If you want to get a funky sound you can't ignore that middle pickup on your strat! And a Les Paul won't give you that!

SweetSecrets
09-09-2004, 07:31 PM
I've heard (although don't know for sure) that the Nighthawk isn't that great for the price. If I was going to drop $$$$ on a Gibson in Australia, I'd go ahead and buy a Paul. Most of the time, you won't go wrong with that decision. Your shoulder might start aching a bit, though.

sambo
09-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
I've heard (although don't know for sure) that the Nighthawk isn't that great for the price. If I was going to drop $$$$ on a Gibson in Australia, I'd go ahead and buy a Paul. Most of the time, you won't go wrong with that decision. Your shoulder might start aching a bit, though.

The more I think about it... the more I am going to go with a Paul.. although they cost some $$ new in Australia - its almost cheaper flying to the US to grab one...

I'll put up with the sore shoulder... :D

Appreciate your comments - cheers!

ELVIS
09-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Ebay my friend!

ELVIS
09-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Click on the photo...

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/65/48/8c_1.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=3746302768&rd=1)

ELVIS
09-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Check out this '76 Custom...

http://www.longpointpawn.com/ebay/lp1.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47072&item=3746346559&rd=1)

sambo
09-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Elvis my man... seriously sweet guitars...

Ebay... I bought some pieces for my 5150 Kramer from the US via Ebay (Floyd, hockey stick neck, space tape) but the thought of sending serious $$$ to the States before I play something is a bit daunting...

I've heard of Escrow...

Nitro Express
09-10-2004, 11:15 PM
I never use the inbetween position on a strat much. I'm either laying into the front pickup or the bridge pickup. In fact, I replaced the 5 way selector with a 3 way selector. My strat has lefty 1968 reissue pickups on it and a reverse headstock. It's full of 60 cycle hum and noisey and that's how I like my strats, crude and raw. The action is low, the frets are huge and the trem is set hard down on the wood. The finish is scratched and chipped with a few cigarette burns.

Somehow I don't think Mark Knofler would like my Strat too well.