PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crue

Wayne L.
01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Motley Crue is one of the greatest rock & roll bands of the 80's, but they aren't one of the greatest rock & roll bands of all time like Led Zeppelin & Aerosmith, Motley Crue is nothing more than " second rate " Aerosmith/KISS clones of the lowest common denominator who had " some " originality " during their 80's reign at the time which wasn't too hard considering Duran Duran was the alternative. Motley Crue's " only " great classic rock album is Shout At The Devil even though it's not in the same leagues as other great classic rock albums like Abbey Road, Sticky Fingers, Led Zeppelin 2, Paranoid, Rocks, Destroyer, Highway To Hell & Women & Children First while their autobiography The Dirt is " hilarious " to say the least since the Crue is supposed to be the definition of sex, drugs & rock & roll excess for the MTV generation in the 80's but I " wouldn't " put them in the same leagues as the legendary rock & roll excesses of Led Zeppelin & Aerosmith back in the 70's.

Gmoney
01-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Motley Crue's " only " great classic rock album is Shout At The Devil even though it's not in the same leagues as other great classic rock albums like Abbey Road, Sticky Fingers, Led Zeppelin 2, Paranoid, Rocks, Destroyer, Highway To Hell & Women & Children First

To mention Motley Crue in the same breath as the Beatles, Van Halen, AC/DC, Rolling Stones or Led Zepplin is just plain silly.

There were a great rock band in a keyboard era, nothing more.

Sarge
01-24-2004, 03:32 PM
They were good. They had their own attitude.
They were not innovative and were nowhere the same band as VH.. but .. good for their era nonetheless..

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 05:50 AM
I always think more of the phenomena than than the music.

Vince Neil couldn`t sing.

Nikki sixx couldn`t play bass but had a vision and could write songs.

Mick Mars could play but was too old.

Tommy Lee was the only who could play well and was the right age.

He must wonder what he could have done in a really technically good band.

Saying all that, I think all their albums up until DR Feelgood were good.

Until that point they kept changing their image and setting trends.

After that they became part of a pack struggling to come to terms with the grunge era.

Grunge killed all of the bands that didn`t really have anything original to offer.

I think that says a lot about Motley Crue.

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 05:54 AM
PS Pick up Motley Crue`s "Music to crash your car to (part one)" boxed set, if you don`t already own the remasters.

It includes their first four albums with bonus tracks, including the rare full original Lethur mix of the "Too fast for love" album.

Apparently it`s the first of four box sets.

If you think about it, who knows what will be on the third and fourth if the second contains the rest of their studio albums?

Wayne L.
01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Motley Crue is all about their " only " great classic rock album SATD which is their masterpiece while their other classic rock albums like Theater Of Pain, Girls Girls Girls & Dr. Feelgood are sugar coated hard rock with mainstream pop tendencies like most 80's rock bands as in Bon Jovi besides being " second rate" Aerosmith/KISS clones of the worst kind for the MTV generation.

Gmoney
01-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I always think more of the phenomena than than the music.

Vince Neil couldn`t sing.

Nikki sixx couldn`t play bass but had a vision and could write songs.

Mick Mars could play but was too old.

Tommy Lee was the only who could play well and was the right age.

He must wonder what he could have done in a really technically good band.

Saying all that, I think all their albums up until DR Feelgood were good.

Until that point they kept changing their image and setting trends.

After that they became part of a pack struggling to come to terms with the grunge era.

Grunge killed all of the bands that didn`t really have anything original to offer.

I think that says a lot about Motley Crue.

Badguy - Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Motley Crue was great until Bob fucking Rock got all he could out of them with Dr. Feelgood.

Bob Rock is a career killer. Look what he did to Metallica, they have released nothing short of shit since the black album.

Not to mention, DLR hasn't had a single chart anywhere that mattered since ALAE, which you guessed it was produced by Bob Rock.

That guy will get all he can out of bands he works with and leaves them with nothing after words.

DLR7884
He's the fucking kiss of death.

ALinChainz
01-25-2004, 12:45 PM
I believe I read where the original Motley line-up was gearing up for a 2004 reunion and that it would be up to Vince due to the strained relationship between he and Tommy.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Vince is a fat fucking drunk. He will do the tour because he needs the money too bad.

DLR7884
I'm sure he can handle getting beaten up by Tommy Lee for the amount of $ he'll get paid for that tour.

ALinChainz
01-25-2004, 12:51 PM
You got that right. Watched "When Metal Ruled The World" on VH1 and Vince was on there.

Man, he has went to hell.

I agree with you too on Bob Rock. On Metallica's "A Year in the Life", you wish one of the band had shown him the door.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I wish that they had shown him the door, but there are many other fucking stupid things that Metallica has done that I wish they hadn't.

DLR7884
They frustrate me almost as much as VH.

Golden AWe
01-25-2004, 01:16 PM
These forums has always been a very pro-Crue place...I'm glad to hear some critics for change...

Yeah, I used to like them when I was under 10 and still, for fun every now and then, but musically they've never been anything special...and yes, still angry to Vince Neil, about the death of the Hanoi Rocks-drummer Razzle in that car accident...:mad:

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm not anti-Crue at all.

They are what they are, and were what they were...and that is good entertainers. They were nothing special musically, and the only reason people took them more serious than a hair band like Warrant was because these guys actually lived bad ass lifestyles.

DLR7884
But whoever said they were nothing like Zep or Aerosmith in the 70's couldn't have been more right!