PDA

View Full Version : Lil' aint enough written by Vai?

TongueNGroove
09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
I was just listening to Lil' aint enough and I swear that song sounds like it came right off the EAS or Skyscraper albums. The guitar licks and the rythms sound exactly like something Vai would write.

I know becker was a very good guitar player, but I am thinking this song(and maybe others) was probably a leftover from the next album that Vai was going to make with Dave but the record deal never panned out so Dave got someone else to play fo him.

I have no proof of this other than what my ears tell me, anyone know anything about his?

frenchie
09-10-2004, 08:01 AM
this is maybe possible but vai never said anything about it.
the only thing sure is yankee rose had be written by eddie.

David Lee God
09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
ALAE was written by DLR and Robbie Neville

Rikk
09-10-2004, 05:22 PM
YANKEE ROSE was definitely not written by Eddie. It doesn't even sound like something Eddie would right. No way. Dave and his band were simply looking for something with the Eddie sound.

Furthermore, Eddie would jump out and use this as fuel with which to destroy Roth.

frenchie
09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
rikk, i respect all the things you say because there are right! so, eddie never wrote yankee rose,and god bless the PRESIDENT!
.......but i think eddie wrote it!

TwoFoolsAMinute
09-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I'll go with you on ALAE having a similar sound to EEAS. Vai didn't write it, but you never know where ideas start.

BigDaddyD
09-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Becker was a Vai fan and quite a bit of his playing is reminiscent of Vai...especially some of his runs. I was just listening to it the other day and although it definitely is not a Vai clone, there are some Vai lines for sure. John Pettruci from Dream Theater did a bit of that on Images and Words. Vai's influence was very strong and some of his solo lines....especially on Under a Glass Moon. (or whatever that song is called.)

Lou
09-11-2004, 04:22 AM
If Eddie wrote Yankee Rose and didn't receive credit for it don't you think there would have been an immediate lawsuit over it?

FORD
09-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I'd be more inclined to believe that "Yankee Rose" and "Goin Crazy" might have existed in rough form as Van HALEN songs, but after the split, Dave & Eddie both started over with their halves of the song. Take the song "Good Enough" on 5150. Not Hagar's horrible screech and babbling about some waitress, but the music, the tempo and all that. Not really that different from Yankee Rose, is it? Maybe at some point in late 84/early 85 it was?

But as an end result, I don't think Vai was playing riffs that Eddie wrote, nor Jason Becker playing riffs that Vai wrote..... Just a continuation of the Van HALEN sound by the man who was and is and always will be the architect of that sound

frenchie
09-11-2004, 10:50 AM
exactly what i wanted to say........but you said it real better than i. why is my english so wrong, why i can't find the words, and why sammy hagar is so fat? so much questions in a so little life, sometimes, it's hard to be me.

spmusicplyr
09-12-2004, 05:03 PM
well dave said on howard stern that he wrote summer nights, and worked on good enough.

he said he wrote half the songs on 5150 anyway..

so who cares if eddie wrote yankee rose, but i dont think he did anyway

Golden AWe
09-12-2004, 05:40 PM
hagar wrote eagles fly

fascinating

Matt White
09-12-2004, 07:33 PM
What would make somebody think Steve Vai wrote "A lil ain't enough", all the OTHER great 'lil pop songs Steve's written? Kinda of a silly premise.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Bad Muthafucker
09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
i love that song. true supersonic, bombastic big rock!! alae the song was written by dave and robbie neville. but jason becker was a vai fan as well as being a fan of many other guitar guys. dave talks about this in his book. he says something along the lines of, "you could hear the influences in jason's playing and name them if you were sharp. and he was a season or two away from where you couldn't name the influences anymore. it would then become a signature sound." guess you're pretty sharp, TongueNGroove.