PDA

View Full Version : Media Assault on Bush Collapses in Credibility Meltdown

Viking
09-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Friday, Sept. 10, 2004 9:07 a.m. EDT

Media Assault on Bush Collapses in Credibility Meltdown

In a stunning journalistic fiasco from which the mainstream press may never recover, a full frontal attack by two out of the three major broadcast networks on President Bush's re-election bid has collapsed amidst questions about forged documents and fraudulent testimony.

CBS anchorman Dan Rather's already shaky journalistic reputation was in tatters Friday morning after documents unearthed during his Wednesday night "60 Minutes II" broadcast purporting to show a cover-up of Bush's National Guard record were called probable forgeries by forensic experts.

Memos uncovered and touted by Rather's team appear to have been written in Microsoft Word, the experts said - a computer program that did not exist at the time Bush was in the Guard.
The same documents, purportedly authored by Bush Guard commander Jerry Killian, were challenged by Killian's widow and son, who told reporters on Thursday that the deceased National Guard commander would never have written such memos.

A second portion of Rather's "60 Minutes II" broadcast, featuring allegations against Bush from former Texas Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes, also was discredited when his daughter Amy told a Texas radio station that her father was a "liar" who had changed his story to sell a book.

NBC News also was mired in a credibility crisis as a spokeswoman for the network's "Today" show insisted it was going forward with its planned rollout of Kitty Kelley's Bush-bashing book, "The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty" – even though Kelley's key witness against Bush has recanted her account that Bush used cocaine and has accused Kelley of fabricating her interview.

"I categorically deny that I ever told Kitty Kelley that George W. Bush used cocaine at Camp David or that I ever saw him use cocaine at Camp David," ex-Bush sister-in-law Sharon Bush said in a statement issued Thursday.

Instead, the one-time Bush family insider insisted, "When Kitty Kelley raised drug use at Camp David, I responded by saying something along the lines of 'Who would say such a thing?'"

Still, "Today" spokeswoman Lauren Kapps insisted that NBC producers had no plan to cancel or even scale back Kelley's three-day mega-promotion on the program, touted by the network as the crown jewel of morning TV.

"This was a very competitive interview that all the morning shows were after and, as we do with all of our interview subjects, we'll review the material beforehand and ask all the appropriate questions," Kapps said in a statement issued Thursday.

"This is astounding," one longtime media observer told NewsMax. "You have a major TV network promoting a book with a major news story that has already been discredited. At least in 1999, when St. Martin's Press found out their 'Bush used cocaine' book was false, they had the decency to withdraw it from bookstores."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/10/90907.shtml

ELVIS
09-11-2004, 03:45 AM
LMAO!

Say goodbye to John Kerry folks...

The democratic party has just lost ann credibility...:D

Viking
09-11-2004, 07:57 PM
*TSK*TSK*TSK* No, m'boy, reality is just catching up with the lamestream media. Their credibility died years ago, and they're only now beginning to acknowledge the symptoms of their disease. :D

freak
09-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Most rational people gave up on broadcast news years ago.

The Reagan years were hillarious.

Everything was coming up roses until 6:00PM EST. Then, you got assailed with horror stories about how bad things were. First, locally - Then nationally. Then, Jeopardy came on.

You were left wondering what alternate reality those guys were living in.

Viking
09-11-2004, 08:22 PM
And you wonder why I call evening news 'The 11 O'Clock Body Count'. Even a lefty like Don Henley wrote a cool song about it called 'Dirty Laundry'. Download it - it's great. :D

freak
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Viking
And you wonder why I call evening news 'The 11 O'Clock Body Count'. Even a lefty like Don Henley wrote a cool song about it called 'Dirty Laundry'. Download it - it's great. :D

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down.;)

Viking
09-11-2004, 08:42 PM
That's my boy! SAY IT! SAY IT! :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer:

FORD
09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
See the bubble headed pResident
He comes on at Five
He can tell you bout the terra-ists
With a gleam in his eye
BCE profits when people die
Gives us dirty laundry.....

John Ashcroft
09-11-2004, 08:49 PM
So Ford, just what would the "New JFK" do to prevent another terra-ist attack against the U.S.?

Happened alot under Clinton, so don't give me the bullshit that Bush is causing terrorism.

What's Kerry's plan?

Viking
09-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Open your window, FORD, I think your gas stove is leaking.....:D :killer:

freak
09-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by FORD
See the bubble headed pResident
He comes on at Five
He can tell you bout the terra-ists
With a gleam in his eye
BCE profits when people die
Gives us dirty laundry.....

Plagarist.

freak
09-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
So Ford, just what would the "New JFK" do to prevent another terra-ist attack against the U.S.?

Happened alot under Clinton, so don't give me the bullshit that Bush is causing terrorism.

What's Kerry's plan?

Cuddle up with the French and appease most likely.

Viking
09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Likely? Guaranteed.

FORD
09-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft

What's Kerry's plan?

http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/homeland_security/

FORD
09-11-2004, 10:40 PM
And more here....

http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/releases/pr_2004_0802a.html

John Ashcroft
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
OK, I'll post them rather than just links. And let's see if the crowd here believes this is specific enough to warrant a vote for Kerry...

From the "New JFK's" Website:

The most basic responsibility of a president is defending our homeland.
We've seen some progress in making America more secure since September 11 - but there is still much more to be done. Today our government is not doing enough to make us safe. Our intelligence services remain fragmented and lack coordination. Our borders and ports are full of holes. Our chemical plants are vulnerable to attack. And across America, police officers, firefighters, and other first responders still lack the information, gear, and equipment to do their jobs safely and successfully.

America needs a new strategy for homeland security that takes steps as big as the threats we face. John Kerry and John Edwards have that strategy. They will do whatever it takes to make America safe - coordinate our intelligence agencies, take action on all key fronts, stand up for security whenever special interests stand in the way, and get the needed resources to the first responders who defend America every day.

Whatever it takes? So how's about's the record of our good Senator from Taxachussets, Kerry? What did he do for intelligence and defense?

John Kerry and John Edwards will offer a new security strategy that addresses five major challenges:

Track And Stop Terrorists

Many of the intelligence problems that allowed terrorists to slip into our country before 9/11 have not been addressed. John Kerry and John Edwards will improve our ability to gather, analyze, and share information so we can track down and stop terrorists before they cause harm.

Is this why he voted for the Patriot Act? Or is this why he's now against it? Wait a minute, I'm confused... And still no specifics.

Protect Our Borders And Shores

Today, our borders, our ports, and our airports are not as secure as they must be. John Kerry and John Edwards will make our airports, seaports, and borders more secure without intruding upon personal liberties.

How? Or is this part of the "secret plan" that we'll all be privy to after we elect this fool?...

Harden Vulnerable Targets

Chemical industry lobbying has kept the Bush administration from strengthening security at chemical plants, where an attack could endanger 1 million Americans. John Kerry and John Edwards will always put Americans' safety ahead of big business interests and take strong measures to harden likely targets-including nuclear plants, trains, and subways-against possible attack.

Again, how? What problems have been identified that need fixing? How is the President not addressing such (imaginary) problems? What exactly do you have in mind for the solution? Does it include tax increases? Will you consider a cut in social spending to provide a federal solution to this apparent problem with Chemical Plant security? Inquiring minds want to know! Or is this also part of the "secret plan"?

Improve Domestic Readiness

Our first defenders will respond to any attack with courage and heroism-but they also need the equipment and manpower to do the job. John Kerry and John Edwards will back up their words with resources and ensure that America's first responders have everything they need to protect their communities.

Respond?????????????????? Does this "Response" (notice, this is after an attack naturally) include condemning those responsible "in the harshest possible language" at the U.N.?

Guard Liberty.

We must always remember that terrorists do not just target our lives - they target our way of life. John Kerry and John Edwards believe in an America that is safe and free, and they will protect our personal liberties as well as our personal security.

Again, how? So far, the ACLU (hardly a Conservative organization) has found absolutely no abuses of the Patriot Act (the very same Act the good Senator from Taxachussets voted for). Where are examples of this loss of civil liberty? When you identify them (or fabricate them RaTHer), what will you do to stop them?

Anyone else satisfied by the "New JFK's" national security policy???

FORD
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Well, the whole plan probably could have been paid for with the $200 Billion wasted in Iraq so far.....

Samsonite
09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Does every thread that mentions a presidential candidate end with people debating stuff? No one's going to change their mind...

Here's a reply you can give me...Shaddup Luggage!
And then just continue to debate.

John Ashcroft
09-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, the whole plan probably could have been paid for with the $200 Billion wasted in Iraq so far.....

Regardless, you're actually admitting here that he has no plan...

I know you know this, but I just wanted to hear you say it.

Thanks dude.

I know you're no Kerry fan, and we all can see you're adamately against Bush here. But Kerry's a joke. I mean really, why would anyone support him? What do you think he offers America?

At least Dean would've been sincere in his lunacy...

freak
09-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Our borders and ports are full of holes.

Which people crawl through to recieve driver's licenses. (Thanks California)

America needs a new strategy for homeland security that takes steps as big as the threats we face. John Kerry and John Edwards have that strategy. They will do whatever it takes to make America safe - coordinate our intelligence agencies, take action on all key fronts, stand up for security whenever special interests stand in the way, and get the needed resources to the first responders who defend America every day.

So many words to say absolutely nothing.

Today, our borders, our ports, and our airports are not as secure as they must be. John Kerry and John Edwards will make our airports, seaports, and borders more secure without intruding upon personal liberties.

Details please?

madraoul
09-12-2004, 12:36 AM
WHATEVER! Bush was the greatest guard pilot ever. He was there all of the time. He never did cocaine. He is also not an untreated alcoholic. He has made us a much safer and solvent country. More Americans are at work now than there were four years ago.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - FDR

John Ashcroft
09-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Wow, insired words from a man who knows how to spin.

Lqskdiver
09-12-2004, 10:03 AM
This election is "officially" over for Kerry and it was Dan who put the final nail in the coffin. Is the way that journalist want to change the world?