PDA

View Full Version : remembering 9/11 where were you?

ssomesweetsugar
09-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I think the events of 9/11 will remain with me forever.
Just like my mom use to talk about The John F Kennedy Assassination.
I will never forget that morning.

I was getting ready for work and had my yahoo
messenger on and a few friends sent me messages
informing me of unclear breaking news of bombs
and our airlines. I thought we were being bombed
by some other country.

I was concerned with taking my kids to school.
I was a lil freaked out while driving thinking a bomb
would be dropped on us.

I often think of that tragedy, the people who lost
their lives, their loved ones, their children, and friends
who were all directly effected by it.

~S

monkeythe
09-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Got a phone call from my then girlfriend (now wife) asking me if I knew anyone working in the towers. When I asked why and she told me I was never more scared in my life. I turned on the TV just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. The panic then took over as I had friends and family working there. Unfortunately, the phone service became sporadic around this time (both cell and land-line) and made it nearly impossible to contact anyone. About an hour after the 2nd tower came down I got the greatest phone call in my life as my dad who worked there was able to get out.
At that point in time the Si ferry closed and the bridges to SI closed and I had to figure out a way to get my noe-wife back to SI. As you can imagine with sporadic phone service this was very difficult to do. The way we got her back was through a friend that had a boat. She made it back home by 10PM (only a 12 hour ordeal)

Unfortunately, I had a few friends that didn't make it out.

freak
09-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I had just laid down to take a nap after working all night .

Phone rings.

My now wife calls and tells me to switch on the TV and that it was really major.

I spent the rest of the day franticaly trying to verify that my uncle, who works for Security Pacific finance, was alright. (He was). Then I tried to get information on several college friends who worked at the Trade Center. (Three dead. One home sick)

monkeythe
09-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Sorry about your friends freak, glad your uncle got out though.

DLR'sCock
09-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, I was driving into work in New Brunswick NJ, which is about 35 miles from the World Trade Center, and about 10 miles from the border of New York City(Staten Island)yes people Staten Island is NYC...even though no one thinks of it that way....

I was listening to Howard Stern and heard it all on the radio....then I saw it on TV when I went in...

monkeythe
09-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Be glad you were able to get out of SI. They shut the bridges pretty quickly and stopped the ferry right after the 2nd tower collapsed.

As a Staten Islander, I feel sympathy for you that you daily commute requires you to drive through our shitty excuse for a highway system.

ssomesweetsugar
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Wow my heart goes out to you guys. I can't imagine the terror you endured by being directly effected by that. Being all the way out here in Cali and feeling what I could through the media images. I know how terrible it was, but to get the phone calls that you guys did must have been so hard.
I'm glad your family members were all okay. I'm truly sorry for your loss of friends though.

Carmine
09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
I, unlike most of you, was not directly impacted. I am sorry for each of you who posted about losses on that fateful day. My wife and I were taking our daughter to her first day of preschool when the first plane hit.. we, like the radio DJ first thought: small plane, training exercise, fell asleep, etc. By the time we got back home- 9:06 am- we were able to see for real what was going on there... afraid, we pulled our kids out of school, as did most.

JCOOK
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
My wife woke me up just about 5 minutes before the secomd plane hit. and I remember feeling very cold. I have a high school buddie who worked in the south tower.--- We found out two days later that he escaped.