PDA

View Full Version : Return of the FORD Beercyclopedia thread

Pages : [1] 2

FORD
09-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Some of you may recall my ode to Winter Beers that I started over at Von's board last year before the return of the Army.

Well, in order to give Hil's forum something different from all the Katydid/Fab threads, here's a truly worthwile subject matter, BEER.

And just good stuff, of course. You will never get a bad beer recommendation from FORD, of this you may be certain.

Our first selection comes to us from the Anderson Valley Brewing Company of Boonville CA. Somehow I entirely missed Boonville during my recent travels down the coast, but their beer was everywhere, and now that I have found a local distributor, I'll be bringing you a few of their selections, as well as other quality beers from across the globe.....

http://www.avbc.com/beers/BarneyFlatsBig.jpg

BARNEY FLATS OATMEAL STOUT
"A stout that fondles the mind and caresses the soul."
Charlie Papazian; President, Association of Brewers

"I love watching people's reaction when I give them one for a try. Their faces just light up with pleasure."
Lars Gilstrom - Woodland, CA

With its deep, dark brown-black color, thick, full-bodied, velvety-smooth mouth feel, mocha character, and, strong yet subtle hop bite, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of the thickest, richest, and most complex stouts on the market today. In 1990, it became our first gold medal winner, at the Great American Beer Festival. Barney Flats was judged so superior to the other stouts that no other medals were even awarded in its catagory. Try it and see why Stewart Kallen described it as, "Slippery, creamy, dark, and sweet as a Pacific May morning," in his book, The 50 Greatest Beers in the World

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Most recently won the Silver Medal at the 2004 World Beer Cup®, as well as several other medals . Click the blue ribbon to see the entire list.

As with all of our products, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

5.7 % Alcohol by Volume

"It's not just shy sluggin gorms neemer."

FORD's review: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

link (http://www.avbc.com/beers/stout.html)

Rikk
09-12-2004, 02:55 AM
Any chance this fine brew is available in Canada, FORD? I love good and different blends.

FORD
09-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Any chance this fine brew is available in Canada, FORD? I love good and different blends.

Sadly, I doubt it ....

For one thing, I had to hunt for it to find it here, as I said.

And if the Ontario beer stores (if it's government operated there as well, I'm guessing) are anything like the BC version, then your selection of American beers is probably limited to the big mass produced brands.

Actually, I just confirmed with the brewer's site at www.avbc.com and it seems they don't sell outside of the US. Sorry. :(

FORD
09-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Let's keep things rolling with last weekend's selection, this one from the local area.....

http://www.dicksbeer.com/labels/ImpStout-325.jpg
Dick's Imperial Stout

Deep and malty. Large quantities of specialty malts give this ale such depth of flavor. Caramel, brown, and chocolate malts, and black barley are all included.

Magnum hops are added during the boil to balance the substantial maltiness and Willamette hops provide a nice spicy finish. Our house yeast ferments this beautiful black beer.

Available in 12 oz. & 22 oz. bottles
6% ABW OG = 1.073 TG = 1.018

FORD's rating: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

link (http://www.dicksbeer.com/brews_imperial.html)

rustoffa
09-12-2004, 03:22 AM
Hoegarden? I had a few of those recently and they were pretty good.

Those dark stout beers are tough bro.

FORD
09-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Here's an interesting one I found in Northern CA, but haven't seen elsewhere yet :(

http://www.humbrew.com/template_images/hbc_hemp_label.jpg
Hemp Ale

Affiliated with the Nectar Ales experience through shared origins at Humboldt Brewing Company, Hemp Ale is a one-of-a-kind brew that boasts a rich profile and unique herb-accented flavor that is attributable to the incorporation of hemp seeds into the brewing process. A Gold Medal winner at the 1999 and 2000 California State Fair.

Now of course they say that there's no THC in Hemp seeds so you can't possibly get "stoned" from this beer, but it seemed to have some relaxing properties in it that aren't found in a typical ale. Which isn't exactly a bad thing if you just finished driving the narrow as fuck Highway 1 behind a bunch of old farts hauling 5th wheelers :mad:

FORD's rating: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

link (http://www.humbrew.com/nectar_brews.html)

FORD
09-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Hoegarden? I had a few of those recently and they were pretty good.

Those dark stout beers are tough bro.

I think I saw that last night at the same place where I picked up the Barney Flats. I might have to try that. I'll report back after my reserach :cool:

Rikk
09-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Here's an interesting one I found in Northern CA, but haven't seen elsewhere yet :(

http://www.humbrew.com/template_images/hbc_hemp_label.jpg
Hemp Ale

Affiliated with the Nectar Ales experience through shared origins at Humboldt Brewing Company, Hemp Ale is a one-of-a-kind brew that boasts a rich profile and unique herb-accented flavor that is attributable to the incorporation of hemp seeds into the brewing process. A Gold Medal winner at the 1999 and 2000 California State Fair.

Now of course they say that there's no THC in Hemp seeds so you can't possibly get "stoned" from this beer, but it seemed to have some relaxing properties in it that aren't found in a typical ale. Which isn't exactly a bad thing if you just finished driving the narrow as fuck Highway 1 behind a bunch of old farts hauling 5th wheelers :mad:

link (http://www.humbrew.com/nectar_brews.html)

Some odd beers make you shaky. Some just relax you. This sounds like a beer for me. Hemp beer...great concept. Of course, another beer the government-run Canadian beer stores won't go near.:(

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 04:05 AM
FORD, not that I would likely drink any, but I would have thought that you would have written a small review rather than just the gulps...

I mean, what's the difference between the first and the second ones ??

They both got four gulps...

I'm not complaining, I would just like to hear your thoughts...

Like, something like this for instance.. After 5-6 of these, I was checking to see if the BCE was looking into my window... that sort of thing...

Seriously though dude...

How 'bout it ??

:elvis:

FORD
09-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
FORD, not that I would likely drink any, but I would have thought that you would have written a small review rather than just the gulps...

Like, something like this for instance.. After 5-6 of these, I was checking to see if the BCE was looking into my window... that sort of thing...

Seriously though dude...

How 'bout it ??

I guess maybe I should have explained that the "gulps" were on a 5 point scale. So the stouts were 4 out of 5 and the Hemp ale got the top score because of it's mysterious relaxing effects & unique concept.

Well, not entirely unique... I understand there's a Hemp-based Porter in Montana called "Olde Bongwater", but I may not get around to that one until next summer's road trip (it's only a local brand :( )

And the stouts only rated a little lower because nothing beats Obsidian Stout.

rustoffa
09-12-2004, 04:22 AM

Seriously though dude...

How 'bout it ??

I'll take a stab at it....

Coors:
It's interesting that this particular brew was an integral part in the legendary "Smokey and the bandit" film.

The plot revolved around this insane race to procure a sizable sum of "Coors" for a bounty of sorts. It involved maniacal Trans Am's and wheel-screeching semi-tractor trailers.

That being said, after tasting "Coors" I would use the aforementioned maniacal Trans Am to get me the hell away from the absolute worst tasting Donner party piss water one could ever imagine. One taste of this rocky mountain runoff and Draino seems like a chaser.

After the Draino chaser, I'd drive the wheel-screeching semi-tractor trailer through the front doors of the brewery and die.

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Yeah, the mysterious relaxing effect has me curious, but I'll leave that for the non-addicts on the board...:D

I was kinda expecting a little description regarding taste though...

Shaddup ELVIS! Stop being so fucking picky!

:D

FORD
09-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Man, I said I didn't want shit beers reviewed here, but that one just works. And if you ever actually drive by the Coors brewery, it smells like somebody died in there. And seeing as I live near the now defunct Olympia brewery, I can say for a fact that crappy beer doesn't neccessarily mean the brewery smells rancid. I actually miss the smells from that place, if not the beer. Oh, and the 8:00 whistle which let me know I was late for work.

FORD
09-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Yeah, the mysterious relaxing effect has me curious, but I'll leave that for the non-addicts on the board...:D

I was kinda expecting a little description regarding taste though...

Shaddup ELVIS! Stop being so fucking picky!

Taste? It was a spicy kinda ale. Somewhat like the Sierra Nevada winter ale. Didn't taste like a bong hit or anything like that.

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 04:47 AM
I remember going to a concert via road trip several years ago and stopping for beer...

I was a Heineken man...

My friends bought a case of Coors to split between the two of them. I got a 12 pack of hot Heineken.. the only Heineken they had...

They said I was crazy and asked me why I didn't get some cold beer...

Who was crazy.. me or them ???

Igosplut
09-12-2004, 06:39 AM
You....

And not because of the warm beer....:)

FORD
09-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Warm Heineken over cold Coors? I think I'd still go with the Heiny, even though I'd risk puking by drinking it warm.

WWED

(what would Eddie do?)

Igosplut
09-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Warm Heineken over cold Coors?

(what would Eddie do?)

Blame Roth????

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 06:44 PM
..and go with the warm Heiney...

rustoffa
09-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I've been down the hot Heineken road myself.
I was helping a friend move and he was like "I'll get some good beer".
So I guess he was going the extra mile and bought a case of Heineken from a stack on the floor.

It was kinda nasty at first, but after awhile it made carrying things better.

That's a distant memory though....NFL kickoff weekend?
Are you kiddin' me?
:gulp:

Big Troubles
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Warm Heineken over cold Coors? I think I'd still go with the Heiny, even though I'd risk puking by drinking it warm.

WWED

(what would Eddie do?)

Coors is a good beer. I can put at least 12 away without feeling bloated. Heiny makes you feel bloated after 2. Yuck. Besides, look what it did for Edwardo.

FORD
09-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Coors is a good beer. I can put at least 12 away without feeling bloated. Heiny makes you feel bloated after 2. Yuck. Besides, look what it did for Edwardo.

Coors must be a Hell of a lot different in Canada if you can say that with a straight face.

Big Troubles
09-12-2004, 08:22 PM
actually I think it is. lol Its brewed here with the Molson plant. I can drink Canadian, Bud and Coors. Sometimes Coronas, never Blue...Always in bottles!

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Coors must be a Hell of a lot different in Canada if you can say that with a straight face.

LMAO!

LoungeMachine
09-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Man, I said I didn't want shit beers reviewed here, but that one just works. And if you ever actually drive by the Coors brewery, it smells like somebody died in there. And seeing as I live near the now defunct Olympia brewery, I can say for a fact that crappy beer doesn't neccessarily mean the brewery smells rancid. I actually miss the smells from that place, if not the beer. Oh, and the 8:00 whistle which let me know I was late for work.

Good ole Oly. It was the Artesian water that made it. Wayne Cody bottlegged me a 1/2 rack of Oly 22 years ago.

As for my easy local pick, you just can't go wrong with a Red Hook IPA.

And though FORD will step on me for reviewing a non-beer, if you're ever in the southwest, and get the chance to find this on tap [NOT the bottled] you must try ACE Pear Cider Mother's Milk!!!

LoungeMachine
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I remember going to a concert via road trip several years ago and stopping for beer...

I was a Heineken man...

My friends bought a case of Coors to split between the two of them. I got a 12 pack of hot Heineken.. the only Heineken they had...

They said I was crazy and asked me why I didn't get some cold beer...

Who was crazy.. me or them ???

Considering it was a Stryper / Amy Grant concert, I'd say the whole car was nuts

BTW, we have this stuff in the Pacific Northwest we like to call ICE [it makes stuff like beer get cold]

i'll send you the recipe

FORD
09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Good ole Oly. It was the Artesian water that made it. Wayne Cody bottlegged me a 1/2 rack of Oly 22 years ago.

As for my easy local pick, you just can't go wrong with a Red Hook IPA.

And though FORD will step on me for reviewing a non-beer, if you're ever in the southwest, and get the chance to find this on tap [NOT the bottled] you must try ACE Pear Cider Mother's Milk!!!

Not at all.... FORD appreciates a good cider now and then. Not a big pear fan though. Unfortunately, most of the REAL cider is only available on the other side of the Canadian Border. BC Growers' Granny Smith Apple Cider is the shit!

Most stateside "cider" is just a flavored malt beverage (a.k.a. a wine cooler) and the same with all the drinks named after liquor comapnies, but not actually containing the booze. Up in Canada, a Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade actually has Jack Daniels in it, and Mike's Hard Lemonade is actually "hard" (mixed with vodka)

Even so, I'll take the cider over that crap everytime when I'm up there.

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Considering it was a Stryper / Amy Grant concert, I'd say the whole car was nuts

BTW, we have this stuff in the Pacific Northwest we like to call ICE [it makes stuff like beer get cold]

i'll send you the recipe

Actually it was Sabbath in 2000 and I was not worried about ice...

FORD
09-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Amy Grant opened for Sabbath?

ELVIS
09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
haha...:rolleyes:

rustoffa
09-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Elvis......WTF????
http://img82.exs.cx/img82/6717/pic18762.jpg

Jesus Christ
09-13-2004, 12:00 PM
http://www.shmaltz.com/home/red_beer.jpg
Messiah Bold:

It's the Beer You've Been Waiting For!

**NEW RECIPE AND A NEW STYLE!**
A deep, bold nut brown ale beautifully balanced with rich dark malts and a complex hop character converging to reveal a simply enchanting elixir.

Malts: 2-row, Carapils, Dark Crystal/ Caramel 80L, Dark Chocolate, Victory

Hops: Warrior, Cascade, Mt. Hood

"HE'BREW could bring a whole new meaning to the term High Holidays...genuinely delicious brew!" - Jerusalem Report

link (http://www.shmaltz.com/)

ELVIS
09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
That's the best post ever made by Jesus...

Jesus Christ
09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Even I like to turn the water into beer now and then :gulp:

Flash Bastard
09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
And if you ever actually drive by the Coors brewery, it smells like somebody died in there.

No kidding, just one whiff of that place will keep you from drinking Rocky Mountain Pisswater for life.

I could tell you a story about their grain and hop storage, but it's the dinner hour... nuff said.

FORD
09-26-2004, 02:10 AM
This weekend's sponsor: The Eel River Brewing Company of Fortuna CA.......

http://www.climaxbeer.com/oldpics/beer9.gif

ERB Co's Certified Organic India Pale Ale

Newest in our line of fine organics ~ With the hop lover in mind ~ Brewed with the finest organic malts and hops, our IPA features a bright-minted copper color and a crisp, yet smooth hop bitterness. Pale and crystal malts come through with a malty caramel sweetness, balanced with aggressively clean burst of fresh hop flavor in the middle palate without lingering bitter astringency. A strong floral and citrus character from generous dryhopping blends with strawberry esters from our house yeast strain for an inviting and satiating aroma.

Alcohol by volume: 7%

FORD's comments: IPA's have been my second choice behind stouts in recent years, and this is a damn good one. Being a NorCal brand, it's not always easy to find around here, but now after trying it, I would say it's well worth the search. I'll take it over Pyramid (my Usual IPA) easily.

Plus, the beer is organic so that's always a plus with a confirmed leftist hippie like myself :)

Who can argue with a beer that only has 4 ingredients on the label? Try doing that with ButtWeiper or Curs...

FORD's rating :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ODShowtime
09-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Most stateside "cider" is just a flavored malt beverage (a.k.a. a wine cooler) and the same with all the drinks named after liquor comapnies, but not actually containing the booze. Up in Canada, a Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade actually has Jack Daniels in it, and Mike's Hard Lemonade is actually "hard" (mixed with vodka).

Wow, I never knew that, but it makes sense...

diamondD
09-29-2004, 02:37 AM
I only like 23 beers out of over 200 different beers I have to drink to get on the wall of fame at the beer emporium I frequent. I can hardly stand to drink domestic beers nowadays as a result. I like New Belgium's Sunshine Wheat or Fat Tire for my beer of choice these days. :guzzle:

Bonzo
09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Anyone ever tried Mississippi Mud out of Utica, New York? It's a nice, hearty black n' tan. I believe it to be smoother than Sierra Nevada. I give it 4 beers and a shot of jack.

FORD
09-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Bonzo
Anyone ever tried Mississippi Mud out of Utica, New York? It's a nice, hearty black n' tan. I believe it to be smoother than Sierra Nevada. I give it 4 beers and a shot of jack.

I actually did try one of those a few years back. It wasn't too bad, but I'd rather get the Guinness & Harp and mix my own if I'm looking for a black & tan. Haven't seen that stuff around here in a few years. I guess the jug bottles weren't big sellers?

FORD
10-02-2004, 02:55 AM
This week, it's back to Boonville CA, courtesy of our friends at the Anderson Valley Brewing Company.....

http://www.avbc.com/beers/HopOttinBig.jpg

Hop Ottin’ IPA is as hoppy as they come. The name means "hard working hops", in Boontling , and that tells it all. Generous additions of high-alpha Pacific Northwest hops added during a vigorous boil, plus traditional dry hopping, with whole hop cones, give this ale a delicious citrus aroma, and an intense hoppy bite. This IPA is a hop lover’s dream.

Hop Ottin' IPA most recently received a Silver Medal from the 2001 World Beer Championships , in the India Pale Ale category, and has several other medals as well. Click the blue ribbon to see the entire list.

As with all of our products, Hop Ottin’ IPA is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

7.0 % Alcohol by Volume

"Hop Ottin' bites like a can-kicky bluetail."

FORD's comments: Very competititve with last week's selection from Eel River (also a a Northern California brand - makes me wish I had extended my recent road trip)

I'll give this one the edge just because of the original name and the great design on the label graphics, obviously aimed at the Deadheads in the audience.

If the BCE steals the election, Northern Cal is definitely seceding as part of Cascadia! They got too many decent beers down there to leave to Herr Gropenator :D

FORD rating: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

FORD
10-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Looks like winter beer season (http://www.pyramidsnowcap.com/snow_cap_ale/) is on it's way..... full reports to follow :gulp:

diamondD
10-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey Dave, as far as that Hoegarden goes, it's pretty pale and light and probably not for someone who likes as much flavor as you seem to do.

I tried Warsteiner Oktoberfest tonight. It was fairly tasty. I'd think you would like it. Also drank a Taj Mahal from India and Peroni from Italy. The Taj Mahal was kind of bitter and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Peroni was fairly smooth, but after the other 2, it's hard to say.

FORD
10-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Hey Dave, as far as that Hoegarden goes, it's pretty pale and light and probably not for someone who likes as much flavor as you seem to do.

I tried Warsteiner Oktoberfest tonight. It was fairly tasty. I'd think you would like it. Also drank a Taj Mahal from India and Peroni from Italy. The Taj Mahal was kind of bitter and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Peroni was fairly smooth, but after the other 2, it's hard to say.

You can find those in Little Rock??

I'll look for them. Believe it or not, some of the best beer selections around here are at a Chevron mini mart of all places. Best thing an oil company related business ever did :gulp:

FORD
10-10-2004, 03:39 AM
And now, for this weekend's selection.... our first Winter Beer entry in the new thread....

http://www.redhook.com/img/ales_winter_header.gif

Winterhook winter ale is the seasonal companion to Redhook's Sunrye and Nut Brown ales. It is offered annually during the fall and winter months.

Winterhook's popularity has been a result of its drinkable style, and clean, dry, roasty palate which is meant to accompany hearty feasts and fine friends. This delicious beer gets its distinctive flavor from the brewmaster's combination of two different malts: Carmel 50/60 from England and a Munich malt. The hop varieties of Northern Brewer and Cascade offer an aromatic complement to the toasty barley flavors. The color is a pleasing deep ruby.

Winterhook ale is excellent with holiday dinners, especially turkey and trimmings.

Grain Variety:
Caramel 50/60 from England and Munich

Hop Variety:
Northern Brewer and Cascade

Color:
Deep ruby (28.9 SRM)

Bitterness Units:
29.2 IBU

Alcohol % Weight:

Alcohol % Volume:

Original Gravity:

Calories / 12 oz.:

Carbohydrates / 12 oz.:
Unspecified

Package Format:
Bottle and keg

Brewed Since:
1985, seasonal

fanofdave
10-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Have you tried the new Kerry/Edwards beer yet?

Its incredibly flat and smells like shit.
Nobody seems to be buying it, either.

I hear after this November, it'll be off the market
for good.

FORD
10-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Snow Cap Ale is back!!

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/images/bottles_2002/snow_cap.jpg

Get Snowed In
A rich, full-bodied winter warmer crafted in the British tradition of holiday beers. This deep mahogany colored brew balances complex fruit flavors with a refreshingly smooth texture, making Snow Cap a highly drinkable and desirable cold weather companion.

Original Gravity: 1.071
Alcohol By Volume: 7.00%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Caramel, Chocolate Malt
Hops: Willamette, East Kent Goldings
Availability: Mid October - January
Best Paired With: Shellfish, rich game and even rich chocolatey desserts

Silver Medal, World Beer Championships, "Strong Ale", 1998

Easily my favorite of the winter brews from the Washington state microbreweries. I could drink this one year around. Maybe the fact that it's only around 3 months out of the year makes it taste that much better?

And fuck waiting for the cold weather...This tastes just as good even though it's still sunny and in the upper 60's this week :cool:

Ally_Kat
10-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Ford, have you ever tasted any pre-Prohibition recipe beers? There's a brewery here that makes some that I want to try and I'm wondering if I should treat myself to a birthday gift or not.

FORD
10-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Ford, have you ever tasted any pre-Prohibition recipe beers? There's a brewery here that makes some that I want to try and I'm wondering if I should treat myself to a birthday gift or not.

The only brewery around here that would have been that old is out of business now... and that was the Olympia Brewery, which was a mass production facility and I'm reasonably sure they weren't using their original recipie. Sounds like an interesting idea though if you can find a brewery that still kicks out the old school.

Now on the other hand, if you can get your hands on some authentic German beer (I ain't talking Lowenbrau here) that might very well be an old school recipie, as some of those breweries have been around for centuries.

FORD
10-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Here's a place on Staten Island with an impressive selection of German beers

http://www.killmeyers.com/menu.asp?main=80&m=141

Ally_Kat
10-16-2004, 07:10 PM
The Brooklyn Brewery (http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beers.html) does it, and I've never heard of a pre-Prohibition recipe before. Got my curiosity. The Black Chocolate Stout really took my interest. That and the Pumpkin Ale.

FORD
10-17-2004, 03:20 AM
Pumpkin Ale never did much for me personally, but it's a great marketing idea for Rothtober. Of course it's hard to go wrong with a stout. Especially one that's 8.5% alcohol and has been reviewed by Michael Jackson

heee heee heee :gulp:

I'm gonna have to track down some of that shit. Hopefully I won't have to go all the way to NYC to do it.

FORD
10-17-2004, 03:24 AM
BTW, I see Rudy all over their "history " page. Does he actually drink the stuff, or are they just using his face for publicity? ;)

Ally_Kat
10-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm not too sure. I know he was apart of them openning up in the location they are at now. Don't know if that has part or not.

Ally_Kat
10-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Pumpkin Ale never did much for me personally, but it's a great marketing idea for Rothtober. Of course it's hard to go wrong with a stout. Especially one that's 8.5% alcohol and has been reviewed by Michael Jackson

It's pilgrim juice!

HAHA - if i were that guy, I'd change my name.

FORD
10-24-2004, 03:52 AM
This weeks entry is back to the Deschutes Brewery of Bend Oregon.....

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/776.jpg
Jubelale is classified as a "Strong Ale" or an "English Olde Ale," and has ties to the traditional Celebration Ales of England. Characterized by a very large malt body and pronounced bitterness, Jubelale contains five different varieties of hops and a healthy amount of crystal malt. The perfect ale for surviving the long, cold nights of winter.

Kathleen Powers, a Portland artist who is influenced by 15th Century Flemish painting, illustrated the Jubelale artwork for 2004. Her style encompasses exquisite detail, vivid color and an implied narrative. Her interest in Ireland’s countryside also played into the whimsical features for this year’s Jubelale art. See more of Kathleen's work online at www.kathleenpowers.com.

Original Gravity: 1.065
Alcohol Content: 6.7%

Ratings, Awards & Notables

92 - Exceptional
Beverage Testing Institute - 1/99

Gold Medal, Bottle Conditioned Strong Ale category
1998 Real Ale Festival

"Poetry from the tap."
Steve Johnson, America's Best Brews

Silver Medal, Strong Ale category
1991 Great American Beer Festival

Gold Medal, Strong Ale category
1990 Great American Beer Festival

FORD's Comment: While Deschutes Brewery makes exceptionally good beer as a rule (their Obsidian Stout is my personal favorite), this holiday offering just doesn't measure up compared to regional competitors like Pyramid's Snow Cap (see last week's review)

FORD's review :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

diamondD
10-24-2004, 01:04 PM
You can find those in Little Rock??

I'll look for them. Believe it or not, some of the best beer selections around here are at a Chevron mini mart of all places. Best thing an oil company related business ever did :gulp:

You think a place that can produce a president can't have a good selection of beers?

I orderered a New Belgium La Folie the other night because I was looking at the ones I haven't tried for my "hall of fame" and my girl said that it looked like it would be pretty good from the description. What they failed to put beside the description was the price. I paid $30 for a 5th size bottle of beer! It was good and barely even tasted like beer, more like champagne.

2 more beers, which I'll kill Monday night, and that's be 200 I've tried in just over a year.:guzzle:

rustoffa
10-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Chicken Soup For The Beer Drinker's Soul

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
and think about the workers in the brewery and all of
their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work and their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is
better that I drink this beer and let their
dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
--by Jack Handy

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When
they wake up in the morning, that's as good as
they're going to feel all day.
--Frank Sinatra

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
--Ernest Hemingway

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even
have the decency to thank her.
--W.C. Fields

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of
life, so get wasted all of the
time and have the time of your life.
-- Michelle Mastrolacasa

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get
drunk, we fall asleep. When we
fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit
no sin, we go to heaven.
Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!
-- Brian O'Rourke

You can't be a real country unless you have a
beer and an airline. It helps
if you have some kind of a football team, or
some nuclear weapons, but at
the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to
be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Without question, the greatest invention in the
history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine
invention, but the wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza.
--Dave Barry

Why is American beer served cold? So you can
distinguish it from urine.
--David Moulton

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals
such as hydrogen and oxygen,
for example, there would be no way to make
water, a vital ingredient in beer.
--Dave Barry

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor
without holding on.
--Dean Martin

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support
Group.

Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's
problems over white wine

rustoffa
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Chicken Soup For The Beer Drinker's Soul

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
and think about the workers in the brewery and all of
their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work and their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is
better that I drink this beer and let their
dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
--by Jack Handy

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When
they wake up in the morning, that's as good as
they're going to feel all day.
--Frank Sinatra

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
--Ernest Hemingway

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even
have the decency to thank her.
--W.C. Fields

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of
life, so get wasted all of the
time and have the time of your life.
-- Michelle Mastrolacasa

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get
drunk, we fall asleep. When we
fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit
no sin, we go to heaven.
Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!
-- Brian O'Rourke

You can't be a real country unless you have a
beer and an airline. It helps
if you have some kind of a football team, or
some nuclear weapons, but at
the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to
be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Without question, the greatest invention in the
history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine
invention, but the wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza.
--Dave Barry

Why is American beer served cold? So you can
distinguish it from urine.
--David Moulton

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals
such as hydrogen and oxygen,
for example, there would be no way to make
water, a vital ingredient in beer.
--Dave Barry

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor
without holding on.
--Dean Martin

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support
Group.

Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's

problems over white wine
:gulp: :guzzle: :bottle:

Nickdfresh
10-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Even I like to turn the water into beer now and then :gulp:

Hallelujah!! Amen. Praise our lord Jesus!

Nickdfresh
10-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Looks like winter beer season (http://www.pyramidsnowcap.com/snow_cap_ale/) is on it's way..... full reports to follow :gulp:

I like the Samuel Adams Holiday Mix Pack. Mainly for the Cranberry Lambric. Unfortunately, there are only two of these beauties in each 12-pack. But that might be a good thing since they are so good that I would drink them morning, noon, and night if they came in 12-packs of their own. :gulp:

FORD
10-31-2004, 01:28 AM
What sucks is that you can't get the Cranberry Lambic on it's own. At least not on this end of the country anymore. I did try a 6 pack of that about 4 or 5 years ago. Sam Adams winter lager's not bad either, but I'm not buying a mix pack that's got light beer in it - unless I'm taking it to a party where someone else would drink the crap.

FORD
10-31-2004, 02:06 AM
And why isn't the Old Fezziwig Ale included in their Multi pack?? That looks interesting.

The www.samueladams.com website's got a pretty cool layout.

And I'm really interested in trying some of this "Utopia" beer they're talking about over there. A 25% alcohol beer that cant even be legally sold in about half the country

lms2
10-31-2004, 02:08 AM
I asked a liquor store here to order Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout on the recommendation of Diamonds Girl. The lady ordered some Goose Island Oatmeal Stout instead. I didn't care for it, but I am looking forward to trying the Sam Adams Winter Pack now...

FORD
10-31-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by lms2
I asked a liquor store here to order Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout on the recommendation of Diamonds Girl. The lady ordered some Goose Island Oatmeal Stout instead. I didn't care for it, but I am looking forward to trying the Sam Adams Winter Pack now...

How in God's name could anybody confuse Goose Island for Samuel Smith. One's made in Chicago and the other is an English import. There's a store around here that occasionally gets Goose Island stuff. It's not bad, but it definitely doesn't compare to Samuel Smith's.

How is the availability in Kansas? Can you get decent beer there without special ordering it?

lms2
10-31-2004, 02:21 AM
I guess if you like the Standards... Michelob, Bud, Coors. Plus, we have a lot of mexican beers... I went looking for some of the beers you have talked about here... LOL... owners looked at me like I was nuts.

I did find a Sunshine Wheat Beer... made in Ft. Collins Colorado that was pretty good. But other than that, just the Sam Adams Winter Pack. I wanted to try his Cherry Wheat Beer-but could only find the winter pack.

As for going into a bar or club and ordering one?

LMAO about that...

diamondsgirl
10-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by lms2

Well, hopefully she will get her shit straight and you will be able to try Samuel Smith out. The only thing I don't like about any Samuel Smith beers is that they come in a 4 pack. WTF?! :D

Looking forward to trying Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale.

lms2
10-31-2004, 10:00 AM
A four pack is good for me... then I would only be stuck with two more Goose Islands instead of four!

Nickdfresh
10-31-2004, 04:02 PM
And why isn't the Old Fezziwig Ale included in their Multi pack?? That looks interesting.

The www.samueladams.com website's got a pretty cool layout.

And I'm really interested in trying some of this "Utopia" beer they're talking about over there. A 25% alcohol beer that cant even be legally sold in about half the country

I don't know about the west coast, but here in Buffalo we are relatively close to Boston, so we get a special "Holiday" mix-pack. It contains 2 of each: Old Fezziwig, regular Lager, Boston Ale, Cranberry Lambic, Winter Lager, and Bock (if memory serves correct). It becomes available around the middle of November and it is full of holiday cheer. Old Fezziwig is quite good, a very hearty ale with essence of cinnamon and other holiday spices.

Good luck with the Utopia. I saw Jim Koch (pronounced Cook) on a History Channel program and he said basically that the "special" brews are sapped up before they even get to the local store. But my brother lives near Boston and maybe I can get him to score some.:guzzle:

guwapo_rocker
10-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I don't know about the west coast, but here in Buffalo we are relatively close to Boston, so we get a special "Holiday" mix-pack. It contains 2 of each: Old Fezziwig, regular Lager, Boston Ale, Cranberry Lambic, Winter Lager, and Bock (if memory serves correct). It becomes available around the middle of November and it is full of holiday cheer. Old Fezziwig is quite good, a very hearty ale with essence of cinnamon and other holiday spices.

Good luck with the Utopia. I saw Jim Koch (pronounced Cook) on a History Channel program and he said basically that the "special" brews are sapped up before they even get to the local store. But my brother lives near Boston and maybe I can get him to score some.:guzzle:

Buffalo? Send me some wings!!!! Please!!!
Suicide!!!

Nickdfresh
10-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Dude- send me some "real" Canadian (Molson) beer and it's a deal! I hear Van Hagar is playing Toronto soon.? We need to get a review.

Nickdfresh
10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Dude- send me some "real" Canadian (Molson) beer and it's a deal! I hear Van Hagar is playing Toronto soon.? We need to get a review.

Seriously, if you want real "suicide" wings, try Mammoser's Pub in Hamburg, NY (about 15 miles-oops-25 Kilometers south of Buffalo).

Nickdfresh
11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Not at all.... FORD appreciates a good cider now and then...Granny Smith Apple Cider is the shit!

I am currently working on making homemade hard cider. I had to look around, since there was a local salmonella outbreak, but I found a place that still sells unpasturized apple cider and I thought I'd stow a gallon away and see how it is in a month or two.

diamondsgirl
11-02-2004, 01:40 PM
I am currently working on making homemade hard cider. I had to look around, since there was a local salmonella outbreak, but I found a place that still sells unpasturized apple cider and I thought I'd stow a gallon away and see how it is in a month or two.

Is that all there is to it, Nick?

Nickdfresh
11-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I think so. Do you have cider experience?

diamondsgirl
11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I think so. Do you have cider experience?

no, but if thats all it takes, I can do it! LOL. I had no idea

Nickdfresh
11-03-2004, 12:21 AM
I've had cider ferment before, but I am not sure exactly how long to wait. But it needs to be unpasturized, which is very difficult to find now a days.

CROWBAR
11-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is good stuff! Why would you guys even suggest a beer made with fruit in it is beyond me! Not!

Ims2, you should go over the border to Colorado Springs and there is a liquor store there that's well known for carrying almost every beer available. The name of the place escapes, but call around or ask a local and your in buisness!

Carmine
11-03-2004, 11:26 AM
hey gang, awhile back I had a half glass of guinness mixed with a half glass of woodchuck hard cider. It was good, but I cant remember what its called.

Help!

diamondsgirl
11-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
hey gang, awhile back I had a half glass of guinness mixed with a half glass of woodchuck hard cider. It was good, but I cant remember what its called.

Help!

that sounds interesting...

not the same thing but, I had cider jack + winter warmer it was called an apple pie. Very good.

Carmine
11-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
that sounds interesting...

not the same thing but, I had cider jack + winter warmer it was called an apple pie. Very good.

its very good dg, and not remembering the name is driving me nuts!:lol:

diamondsgirl
11-03-2004, 01:00 PM
its very good dg, and not remembering the name is driving me nuts!:lol:

we can always make one up :D

Carmine
11-03-2004, 01:02 PM
we can always make one up :D

...the floor is open dear... fire away

diamondsgirl
11-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Black Velvet :)

Carmine
11-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Black Velvet :)

hasn't that one been taken?:rolleyes:

I just e-mailed a friend of mine who is a raging alcoholic...waiting for the answer! lol

diamondsgirl
11-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I found black velvet on the internet as cider mixed with guinness

Carmine
11-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Its called a .........................SMOOTHIE!

a thank you to my freind Dave!

Nickdfresh
11-06-2004, 02:32 PM
I had an Australian beer that was called something like "the Razor's Edge." It was about ten years ago but I remember the label was really cool with a great white shark and a crocodile facing off against each other. I can't find it on the internet so maybe it is now defunct. But if any Aussie can tell me anything about it I would appreciate it.

CROWBAR
11-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale (available only in winter) is stand you on your head stuff! Love it!

Sam Adams never did much for me, overated.

diamondsgirl
11-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Its called a .........................SMOOTHIE!

a thank you to my freind Dave!

smoothie, huh? Your friend Dave sobered up long enough to answer you. :cool:

diamondsgirl
11-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by CROWBAR
Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale (available only in winter) is stand you on your head stuff! Love it!

Sam Adams never did much for me, overated.

Never tried the Big Foot, sounds good. :)

CROWBAR
11-06-2004, 07:10 PM
It's definately heavy tasting Diamondsgirl! Not for your everyday beer drinker as it's flavor is Brandywine. Once you get the first one down, it gets better and better! If your used to Lager, it will be quite a shock at first but, most folks end up liking it.

Nickdfresh
11-06-2004, 09:48 PM
The Sam Adams "Winter Classics" 12-packs are now available!;)
unfortunately they have replaced the Boston Ale with the Lite.:rolleyes:

FORD
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is good stuff! Why would you guys even suggest a beer made with fruit in it is beyond me! Not!

Ims2, you should go over the border to Colorado Springs and there is a liquor store there that's well known for carrying almost every beer available. The name of the place escapes, but call around or ask a local and your in buisness!

Applejacks?

That place is like the Costco of alcohol. It's a huge store, and the beer cooler takes up pretty much one whole wall of it. Not sure if they have one in Colorado Springs, but they do in the Denver area.

FORD
11-06-2004, 11:03 PM

I'll have to track some of that down for a future review, but this week, I'm sticking with the stash of Snow Cap in the fridge. Hopefully someone around here will carry it. I know the "Celebration Ale" (their other winter beer) shows up around here once in a while.

CROWBAR
11-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Yeah Ford, I think That might be the name of the place, still not certain though as it's been many years since I was there. It was incredible! I thought I died and went to beer heaven! LOL! :D

Since your a west coast guy right? there should be plenty of availibilty of Sierra Nevada ale to you. Bigfoot is somewhere around 9% alcohol per bottle. Not for wimps! It usually arrives in stores around February so take a look then. Comes out right after the winter ale. Good stuff!

:guzzle:

Carmine
11-09-2004, 01:03 PM
smoothie, huh? Your friend Dave sobered up long enough to answer you. :cool:

yeah! he was in preparations for the RAMA show, so he was taken it easy. I cannot however say the same once we arrived at the casino! LOL!:guzzle:

Antman
11-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I love beer. I was really into finding and trying new microbrews about 10 years ago or so. Nowadays I just stick to the standard Bud/Bud Light and only occasionally trying a new microbrew. I still love micro brews and am always up for trying something new. But one beer i refuse to try is Young's Ramrod Cream Ale from.....you guessed it, San Francisco. I shit you not. It is a real beer.

lms2
11-12-2004, 10:15 PM

I love Colorado Springs! I will keep that in mind for holiday cheer.

FORD
11-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Speaking of Colorado, for this week's selection, we go to the New Belgium brewing company in Ft Collins CO.............

http://www.newbelgium.com/Images/OurBeers/SpecialRelease/specialrelease/FR6.jpg

New Belgium welcomes the Holidays each year with the release of Frambozen, a brown ale fermented with Northwest raspberries. Frambozen, Flemish for raspberry, is a little more than 11% fruit by volume. Brewer Bill Hepp traveled to Oregon this year to oversee the selection and shipment process. He describes the first moment he experienced this year’s harvest.

“The room was redolent with the thick, summery aroma of fresh, red raspberries,” Bill recalls. “I opened the drum, untied the plastic liner, and scooped out a handful. Putting a few in my mouth, I could tell immediately that this was going to be an excellent year for Frambozen.”

An exceptionally warm growing season made for sweet fruits with a pleasantly tart finish. The final Frambozen weighs in at 7.0% ABV. Bill compares the finished beer with one of life’s guilty pleasures.

“Drinking Frambozen is like stomping on the gas of a vintage El Camino,” says Hepp. “It’s a delightful, powerful beer with a style and class all its own.”

Seeing as Bill rides his bike to work throughout the winter, we assume he’s speaking metaphorically.

Frambozen will be available throughout our distribution area October through January. Hop in the El Camino (or better yet, grab your bike) and go out and get you some.

Finished Product Information:
Alcohol: 7.0%
IBU: 16
Hops and Spices: Magnum, raspberries
Malts: Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-40, C-80, Munich

FORD's review: Usually I don't go out of my way to drink fruit flavored beers, but New Belgium puts out some intesting shit, and I'll drink any winter beer at least once.

This ale probably falls about half way between something like Widmer's Blackberry Heffeweisen and the above mentioned Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic in terms of the "fruity" flavor taking over the beer. It's a good medium, with the sweetness definitely present, but tasting more like a Belgian ale than champagne (as the Adams product does). No surprise there since it comes from a "Belgian" brewer.

This one would probably go great with your upcoming Turkey Day meal

I'll give it a :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

diamondsgirl
11-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Any one ever try any of the Magic Hat beers from Vermont? I love the one called Fat Angel. Very yummy.
Reminds me of Sierra Nevada Ale a bit. Good beer to have while eating a meal, you know? Not a strong after taste.
Many bars in the Boston area serve this. Check it out.

Blind Faith is good too, but much stronger.

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I just tried, and am trying, the Sierra Nevada "Celebration Ale." Quite good I should say. Reminds me of Anchor Steam a little bit.

CROWBAR
11-14-2004, 08:03 PM

Blind Faith is good too, but much stronger.

:bananna:

diamondsgirl
11-14-2004, 09:46 PM
she's purdy. :)

CROWBAR
11-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Me likey! ;)

The Sierra Celebration ale is good stuff Ford!

FORD
11-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Me likey! ;)

The Sierra Celebration ale is good stuff Ford!

Yeah, I tried some of that last year. I'll definitely be working a 6 pack of that in somewhere between now and 12/25

Nickdfresh
11-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I just talked to my brother in Boston. He bought a bottle (liter) of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock for $14 bucks. Review to follow when I get to it.

Samuel Adams® partnered with Scharffen Berger Chocolate to develop their newest innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the world's oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two row Pale, Munich and caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate for Samuel Adams® made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were infused into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full-bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together.
Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah.

http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx?jump=styles:cool:

Flash Bastard
11-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Applejacks?

That place is like the Costco of alcohol. It's a huge store, and the beer cooler takes up pretty much one whole wall of it. Not sure if they have one in Colorado Springs, but they do in the Denver area.

And they just recently expanded the store, so it's about 50% bigger now.

But sadly, no there's no Applejack down here in the Springs. It's worth the 2 hour drive to Wheat Ridge though.

FORD
12-05-2004, 02:29 AM
This week, we're at Bridgeport Brewery in Portland with a beer that even Scrooge himself could appreciate......

http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/images/bp-brews-seasonal02.jpg

Ebenezer Ale

Brewed in homage to the holiday season, Ebenezer Ale is full-bodied, rich mahogany in color, crowned with a creamy head and finished with a festive warmth. The ale is brewed with four kinds of roasted malts, and local and imported hops. It is naturally conditioned in the keg and bottle to enhance the smooth balance of malt and hops.

Our winter seasonal is available September through January.

Alcohol by Volume: 6.4%
Original Gravity: 16.0
BUs: 40

Accolades

* Silver Medal, Brewing Industry International Awards, London, England, 2002
* Highly Recommended Rating, The Beverage Testing Institute, Chicago, IL, 2002

FORD's review: No odd ingredients like berries or Hemp as hops in this one. Just a damn good winter ale that will cure your Bah Humbugs. Deceptively smooth enough even for a wuss beer fan - here's a 6.4% ale that goes down more like a 4.5% - so keep the cell phones handy to call a cab if you and Cratchit are pounding these down at your holiday party

FORD's rating - :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

link (http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/bp-brews-seasonal.html)

Nickdfresh
01-29-2005, 09:32 PM
This beer's roots are in Belgium, and the classic Wit biers produced by Belgium's brewers. The style gets its name from the white, milky appearance of this unfiltered wheat ale. The brewers of Samuel Adams® beer, taking inspiration from the Belgians, have created a classic of their own. On the malt side, we use malted two row Pale barley, malted wheat, and Munich malt to give this beer a crisp, malty, cereal finish and smooth mouth feel. The hops used are Noble Tettnang Tettnanger hops. At the end of the kettle boil, we add a proprietary spice blend to give Samuel Adams® White Ale a unique and complex flavor, without being overpowering or cloying. The spice blend includes orange and lemon peel, dried plum, grains of paradise, coriander, anise, hibiscus, rose hips, tamarind, and vanilla. It is this special blend of spices that gives Samuel Adams® White Ale its unique character, complexity and refreshing drinkability. The beer is coarse filtered, leaving a white haze from the malt proteins. Our proprietary top fermenting ale yeast ferments the beer, imparting its signature character - bright and slightly fruity.
Sam Adams (http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx)

Excellent beer. Mellow and reminiscient of Sam Adam's Weiss beer.

Rating::guzzle: :guzzle: :guzzle: :guzzle: out of five.

http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/autopics/73.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Double post:gulp:

distortion9
04-21-2005, 06:30 PM
The wife and I went to Disney world a few weeks ago and had dinner at The Brown Derby in MGM Studios. This is where I fell in love with "Trois Pistoles".

I just stumbled upon a bottle in my local distibutor and snatched it up to see if it was as good as I had originally thought. It is. It came in a dark brown, 750 ml ( like a pint and a halfish), corked and caged bottle....bout 6 bucks.

It's almost sad to call it beer......sooooo good.

9% alc/vol my friends....this is no pounding beer. DARK brown/reddish with a "fruity" taste. I can also taste a hint of chocolate. Awesome mouth feel, rocky head...did I mention 9% alc/vol?

I'm the guy that skip's coffee during dessert and continues with the beer....this beer is FANTASTIC with dessert.

This beer is fantastic period.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/1926.jpg

Three Lock Rock
04-21-2005, 06:49 PM
This thread is fucking gay

Nickdfresh
04-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Three Lock Rock
Giving guys head is making me fucking gay

You back you SAMMY lovin' homo!?

FORD
04-21-2005, 08:32 PM
This thread is fucking gay

No, that would be a tequilacyclopedia thread. Especially if it only focused on one particular overpriced brand.

NOW GET THE FUCK OUTA HERE, SHEEP!

I provide this thread as a public service so REAL Van Halen fans are never stuck drinking shitty beer again. You will respect it, or you will die.

Who do you think gave the Sheep Pen Police their arsenal of laser-sighted cattle prods?

FORD
04-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by distortion9
The wife and I went to Disney world a few weeks ago and had dinner at The Brown Derby in MGM Studios. This is where I fell in love with "Trois Pistoles".

I just stumbled upon a bottle in my local distibutor and snatched it up to see if it was as good as I had originally thought. It is. It came in a dark brown, 750 ml ( like a pint and a halfish), corked and caged bottle....bout 6 bucks.

It's almost sad to call it beer......sooooo good.

9% alc/vol my friends....this is no pounding beer. DARK brown/reddish with a "fruity" taste. I can also taste a hint of chocolate. Awesome mouth feel, rocky head...did I mention 9% alc/vol?

I'm the guy that skip's coffee during dessert and continues with the beer....this beer is FANTASTIC with dessert.

This beer is fantastic period.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/1926.jpg

Thanks for kicking this thread back up! I've been neglecting it lately from lack of drinking.

And I have tried this one before, and it is good, but very heavy. Not for amateur beer drinkers at all. Also had another one from the same brewery. I believe it was called "Fin DuMonde" or something like that.

Might want to check that out :gulp:

FORD
04-22-2005, 11:02 PM
It was sunny and 75 degrees today in FORD Country, a rarity for April, especially as wet and rainy as most of this month has been.

Nothing tastes better on a day like this than an ice cold IPA

http://www.redhook.com/img/ales_ipa_header.gif

Redhook India Pale Ale is a beer that celebrates hoppiness. The flavor of Cascade hops is the dominant note in our IPA, and it's a true English-style bitter.

The distinctive style was developed by British brewers in the 1700s. They created the sturdy beer to survive long sea journeys to far-flung colonies, where troops eagerly awaited the brew's arrival. Hops, happily, not only imparted a delightful bitterness, they also inhibited the growth of bacteria.

Originally named "Ballard Bitter" in honor of the Seattle neighborhood where Redhook opened its first brewery, Redhook IPA has been embraced by ale enthusiasts from the Northwest to New England.

IPA is highly enjoyable with grilled meats and spicy entrees.

Grain Variety:
2-row Klages, Caramel 30/37, Munich

Hop Variety:
Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cascades

Flavor Profile:
Aggressively hopped, dry and crisp finish

Color:
Brass (8.4 SRM)

Bitterness Units:
38.5 IBU

Alcohol % Weight:

Alcohol % Volume:

Original Gravity:

Calories / 12 oz.:

Carbohydrates / 12 oz.:
12.66 g.

Package Format:
Bottle, keg cask conditioned

Brewed Since:

Three Lock Rock
04-23-2005, 01:39 AM
You back you SAMMY lovin' homo!?

Sammy lovin' yes. Homo no. You are an idiot though.

Nickdfresh
04-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Sammy lovin' yes. Homo no. You are an idiot though.

Wow! You're a poet and you probably blow it!

I didn't think you would like beer, I was thinking you're more a chardonnay man/eunuch...

Satan
06-05-2005, 02:39 AM
http://www.victorybeer.com/Images/victory_BEERS.gif

HOPDEVIL ALE
Menacingly delicious, with the powerful, aromatic punch of whole flower American hops backed up by rich, German malts. HopDevil Ale offers a roller coaster ride of flavor, coasting to a smooth finish that satisfies fully.

PRAISE FROM THE PROS
Champion American Beer:
Great British Beer Festival 2002

Domestic Beer of The Year:
Malt Advocate Magazine 1999

COMPOSITION
Malts: Imported, German 2 row
Hops: American whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 6.66%

AVAILABILITY
Draft and bottles year 'round

Satan's rating: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

FORD
06-12-2005, 03:49 AM
http://www.warsteiner-usa.com/images/bottle_dunkel.jpg

WARSTEINER Premium Dunkel

WARSTEINER Premium Dunkel "German for Dark" offers beer lovers incomparable taste satisfaction with its subtle spiciness, delicate aroma, and balance. What makes premium Dunkel distinctive among dark beers, is its thirst quenching, refreshingly drinkable flavor.

WARSTEINER Premium Dunkel is a traditional German dark brown lager. In Germany, they would refer to this style of beer as, "Dunkel". WARSTEINER Premium Dunkel is described as being neither sweet nor roastily dry, with a slight spicy maltiness and a clean round finish. It has a reddish-black color which is almost opaque.

* Traditional German dark lager
* Brewed According to German Purity Law of 1516
* Warm and appealing in appearance and style
* 4.9% Alcohol by volume
* No Chemicals, Additives Or Preservatives

Available Packages

* 12 oz. bottles, 4/6 pack, 2/12 pack
* 30 Liter Kegs
* 50 Liter Kegs

FORD's review: Well, after hearing many recommendations of this German beer, I finally managed to find a 6 pack. It's a very good tasting beer as far as a dark lager goes, but that's hardly surprising, considering Germans invented the shit. Highly recommended for serving at a BBQ or some other occasion where you'll only be drinking one or two. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the alcohol content was so low when I bought it tonight, so it didn't do the job I needed it to after a shitty fucking week.

Oh well, maybe when some sanity is restored to the world, I might actually make it to Germany to try the real thing.

FORD's rating : :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

kentuckyklira
06-12-2005, 02:05 PM
My favorite beer!

www.1396bier.de

kentuckyklira
06-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Another one of my all-time favorites!

http://www.muehlenkoelsch.de/

FORD
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
For tonight's entry, we go back to a recommendation made by Crowbar in the early days of this thread. It took me a while to track this down, but it was worth it......

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/m-bibeerb.jpg
Bigfoot Ale is an award-winning example of the traditional barleywine ale style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

“…Bigfoot captures the imagination, and its character is as big as the name implies, with a huge hoppiness in its earthy aroma, a chewy palate, and a great depth of flavor.”

– Michael Jackson,
Michael Jackson’s Beer Companion

GOLD MEDAL WINNER
California State Fair (Strong Ale/Barleywine: 2000, 1997)
Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival
(Barleywine Style Ale: 1998)
Great American Beer Festival (Barleywine: 1995, 1992,
1988; Ales: 1987)

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/m-bistat.gif

FORD's comments - Well worth the wait! About the time most beers get to the 9 or 10% alcohol range, the sweetness factor can produce a heaviness that even expert beer drinkers like myself have to adjust to. Sierra Nevada has really done their homework with this one. Has the kick of a barleywine, but it goes down like an ale. I'd easily recommend this over any of the Belgian trippels and it rivals most Imperial Stouts. Overall, one Hell of a fucking masterpiece of a beer!

Thanks again to Crowbar for letting me know about this one!

UGS
07-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey FORD, have you tried Alexander Keith's IPA yet?

FORD
07-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Hey FORD, have you tried Alexander Keith's IPA yet?

Haven't seen it yet. Tragically, even the little Chevron station with the excellent selection of imports doesn't seem to carry any Canadian brews. And even up in BC I don't recall seeing Alexander Keith's. Maybe you can't get it outside of Nova Scotia?

UGS
07-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting about BC, because you can definitely get it in Ontario. Either way, whenever you do come across it, be sure to try it out :bottle:

UGS
07-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Just checked it out, you should be okay. BC Liquor Stores do carry it, albeit quite a bit more $$$ than here in NS.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products/900100

Rebel
07-19-2005, 03:27 AM
I'n my defunct beer thread :D I started with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I love it, it's bitter and has a bit of a sweet aftertaste. The Bigfoot Ale is very good as well (as noted above).

classicdude
07-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Got some Blue Moon Belgian White in the fridge right now. Someone suggested putting a slice of orange in the frosted mug while partaking. An interesting flavor combination! :guzzle:

Big Fat Sammy
07-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Rebel
I'n my defunct beer thread :D I started with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I love it, it's bitter and has a bit of a sweet aftertaste. The Bigfoot Ale is very good as well (as noted above).

Gotta find that Bigfoot Ale!

The Sierra Nevada Pale was my main ale until I came across this local fav....

Columbus Pale Ale
http://www.columbusbrewing.com/images/label/paleale.jpg
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
% alcohol by volume
4.99%

-- A spectacular celebration of malt and hops! Brewed with specially kilned Crystal malt and a generous portion of American Cascade hops for a refreshing, spicy aroma and a long dry finish. It's big, bold and bittersweet. Available on draft and in bottles.

This brew won 2nd place in the American Pale Ale Category at the 1997 Spirit of Free Beer Homebrew Competition. It was judged to be very good, but too hoppy for style (53 IBUs, when it should be 20-40).

:cato2: :cato2: :cato2: :cato2:

FORD
07-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the sticky! Keep the beers comin' :gulp:

flappo
07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
hhaah

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 07:49 AM
i'm brewing this...

i'll critiqe it in november.

franksters
07-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Since 1992
Type White Ale, refermented in the bottle
Alcohol 5 % alc./vol.
Color White
Taste Wheat, with subtle spices, and citrus
Aroma Lightly fruity and a hint of citrus
Shelf Life 2 years
Serving Suggestions Poultry, fish and shellfish, salads and fresh cut vegetables

In the spring of 1992, Unibroue marketed its first beer on lees, the Blanche de Chambly. It contains 5 percent alcohol and is produced from an interesting blend of unmalted Quebec wheat and pale barley malt, to which spices and natural aromatics are added, along with a light hopping.

The Blanche is only partially filtered so that it retains the full benefits of its natural ingredients. This gives it the cloudy appearance that was characteristic of pale beers in the Middle Ages. While it is naturally of a champagne color, it appears white because of the fresh yeast in suspension.

this beer is one of the best around!!! I know it's available in certain beer store in ontario and possibly in some other provinces too.

TRY IT!

franksters
07-23-2005, 09:41 AM
heres another one...

Since 1994
Type Triple fermentation Golden Ale, refermented in the bottle
Alcohol 9 % alc./vol.
Color Blond with a golden hue
Taste Smooth, slightly tart with the balanced flavors of wild spices, malt and hops
Aroma Wild spices
Shelf Life 8 years or more
Serving Suggestions Gourmet dishes, fine cheeses and desserts

In February 1994, after 18 months of research, Unibroue launched La Fin du Monde (the end of the world). It is a 9 percent alcohol, triple fermentation beer. This type of beer was originally developed by the monks of the Middle Ages to be served on special occasions. La Fin du Monde is a deluxe beer made by triple fermentation and a unique way of straining the yeast. This method produces an unexpectedly subtle flavour. With its champagne-like effervescence, it has a vigourous presence in the mouth, which accentuates its strong personality. Slightly tart, with the balanced flavours of wild spices, malt and hops, it belongs to the class of great Trappist beers and, in this regard, is a North American first. At meals, it can replace white or red wines and enhances the flavour of most dishes.

This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America.

franksters
07-23-2005, 09:43 AM
How to Taste Beer

There is more to certain beers than simple refreshment. Unibroue brews craftsmen beers for savouring.

Drink less, drink better !

Just as in wine, one tastes beer to appreciate its qualities. One observes the color, the head, the aroma and the bouquet, the multiple aspects of its flavour, the aftertaste and so on.

The beer must be at its ideal temperature, according to its particularities, served in a glass corresponding to its style (no drinking from the bottle !), in respect to its density and its carbonation. The appreciation of beer also has its rituals, unfortunately all so often unknown.

Start by assuring that the recommended glass for the style of beer that you are about to savour is clean without compromise. If not, the dirt will be a nuisance to the persistency of the foam and will alter inevitably the flavour of the beer. Be sure the beer is not too cold, but at ideal serving temperature to appreciate it at its just value.

franksters
07-23-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm

you will love it!!!

diamondsgirl
07-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Anyone like Magic Hat? Brewed in Vermont.

I'm going to be drinking some Fat Angels tonight. :)

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/b3/96/fddkBeersBy_NameMagic_Hat_Fat_Angel_Ale-resized200.gif

FORD
07-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Anyone like Magic Hat? Brewed in Vermont.

I'm going to be drinking some Fat Angels tonight. :)

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/b3/96/fddkBeersBy_NameMagic_Hat_Fat_Angel_Ale-resized200.gif

Never seen Magic Hat in this part of the country, but as impressive as their website is, I'd guess that theyput as much effort into their beer. If I see any of their stuff, I'll give it a shot. :beer:

FORD
07-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Tonight's entry is brought to you by the Lagunitas Brewing Co. of Petaluma CA.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/31622.jpg

Though Lagunitas has info about many of their beers listed on their website, this seasonal release isn't listed, for whatever reason, so we'll have to skip the official company bio this time and stick with what this reviewer can tell you.

Sirius is a golden ale, typical of spring and summer seasonal releases, but that's where the comparison ends, as the others are generally lightweight entries that taste better than Bud/Coors/Miller but are about as effective for party time.

Sirius, like all micros is purity in a bottle. The ingredients read "malt, hops, yeast, and water. Right below that is a great motto: "Life is Uncertain. Don't Sip"

With 7.6% alcohol though, you don't want to pound them too fast. Unless you know someone else is driving.

Great for a golden ale, but not enough to make me switch from the usual IPA's and Stouts.

FORD's rating : :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

diamondsgirl
07-24-2005, 09:06 AM
hmmmm...

sounds sirius....

(sorry... :o )

diamondsgirl
07-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Never seen Magic Hat in this part of the country, but as impressive as their website is, I'd guess that theyput as much effort into their beer. If I see any of their stuff, I'll give it a shot. :beer:

yes....they do have a very cool site

and I've had a few of their beers, Fat Angel is my favorite, I also like Blind Faith :cool:

MAX
07-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Gotta couple for you.

Cool Utah jokes as well and this is real beeya too.

First off is Wasatch (www.wasatchbeers.com). I believe they are our oldest and first microbrewery in Utah? I remember drinkin' it as far back as highschool, so that would put it at about twenty yeeyas old.

Anyway, they have "Polygamy Porter" which is a good jab at the Mormon's. lol.

http://beer.trash.net/img/beers/826.jpeg

Wasatch ain't bad but I've never drank much of it cos it has always tasted too "microbrewed" IMO. Even in bottles. However, they are our oldest so all due respect.

Secondly is Squatters (http://www.squatters.com/). They do have some damn tasty beeyas. Well, as a take off on "St. Pauli Girl" they launched "St. Provo Girl" a few years back. Seriously, it IS a great beeya. The joke with "Provo" is that Provo is an actual city here. Tis' Utah's second largest city. It's the home of Brigham Young University (BYU) and ALL sports fans are extremely aware of that institution.

The campaign for St. Provo Girl was soooo hilarious in this state cos they made so many sexual innuendos on billboards, newspapers, magazines and what have you. lol.

Here's the "infamous" "Nice Cans" ad when they started canning the beeya.

http://www.dereksmith.com/people/ProvoGirl.jpg

I met and partied with the St. Provo chick during the Olympics in 2002. Dumber than a sack of rocks but she did have "nice cans" to look at nonetheless. lol.

FORD
07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Damn, she ain't wearing the Holy Undergarments, is she?

I looked for some of that Polygamy Porter when I was driving through Utah a few years ago, and somehow I never found any :(

Can't beat their slogan though... "The beer to have when you have more than one" :D

Rebel
07-31-2005, 01:22 AM
lol.....Polygamy Porter. I've gotta find that :D

I've got SN Pale and some Heiny in the fridge, but that Sirius review from last week has got me wanting to try it. Haven't seen it anywhere though.

Big Fat Sammy
08-01-2005, 08:53 PM
For tonight's entry, we go back to a recommendation made by Crowbar in the early days of this thread. It took me a while to track this down, but it was worth it......

Thanks again to Crowbar for letting me know about this one!

CROWBAR and FORD,

Picked up a six of this tonight, thanks for the recommendation!

5 gulp rating fo' sho' !!!!!

:gulp: :guzzle: :gulp: :guzzle: :gulp:

Rebel
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
That one is tasty no doubt. Picked up a six of SN yesterday, couldn't find the Polygamy Porter :D

Big Fat Sammy
08-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I found the Bigfoot at this place called Viking something or other.

They have 450 types of beer for sale!!!!

Also picked up some Atlantic Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale...

...but I would only recommend it for those who REALLY REALLY REALLY like blueberries....It's cool to try though...kind of a novelty.

But if you ever drank enough of this to get drunk....God have mercy on your soul.

FORD
08-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I think I'd be begging for God to have mercy on something else entirely.

Blueberries affect me like Ex-lax, so that doesn't sound like one for a party beer.

Big Fat Sammy
08-04-2005, 04:08 PM
I think I'd be begging for God to have mercy on something else entirely.

Blueberries affect me like Ex-lax, so that doesn't sound like one for a party beer.

That's exactly what I was thinking would happen after drinking more than a couple of these in one sitting...

...been drinking one a day, but I will leave them alone after the 6 are gone. :D

:D We've found the perfect drink for The Scatologist!

scamper
08-12-2005, 01:29 PM
The best beer around is

14 lbs pale(2 row)
1 lb crystal 40L
1 lb flaked oats

1 oz centennial for 60 min
2 oz cascade for 30 min
2 oz EKG for 10 min

try it you'll love it, its the perfect combo of hops for a pale

FORD
08-13-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by scamper
The best beer around is

14 lbs pale(2 row)
1 lb crystal 40L
1 lb flaked oats

1 oz centennial for 60 min
2 oz cascade for 30 min
2 oz EKG for 10 min

try it you'll love it, its the perfect combo of hops for a pale

Sounds good. I haven't attempted home brewing as of yet. Don't have the space for it at present :(

And no new reviews tonight... Just chilling with some good ol' Redhook IPA (aka Ballard Bitters) :gulp:

FORD
08-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Tonight's entry comes from the MacTarnahan's brewery in Portland Oregon....

http://www.macsbeer.com/images/template_right_ipa.gif

Brews: IPA (India Pale Ale)
What's the India in IPA?

Woodstock IPA is an authentic wood-conditioned India Pale Ale with the distinctive flavor of the British Empire’s original. Traditional IPAs were distinguished by rich hops, which were generously added to preserve the beer during its long overseas voyage between England and India. They were also characterized by striking oak flavor, as the beer made its journey in wooden barrels. Woodstock IPA matures in oak and is dry-hopped during the aging process to bring you the classic style.

Specs: Original Gravity 15.5, Specific Gravity 1062, Hop Bitterness 45 IBU

FORD's review: My initial disappointment with this one comes from the fact that the website calls it "Woodstock IPA", a great name in my opinion, but it's nowhere on the bottle. So they take a hippy name off and replace it with an elephant..... that's enough to make a Liberal think twice right there!

But I already bought the beer, so I might as well drink it, right?

It's an enjoyable ale, but not very hoppy, in terms of IPA. And the whole purpose of IPA's historically, was the extra hops, as the brewery notes above.

Very drinkable, but not recommended for hop fiends.

FORD's rating :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

FORD
08-20-2005, 03:34 AM
http://www.dogfish.com/beer/IBA_3shot.jpg

Tonight's entry comes from the Dogfish brewery of Delaware....

Indian Brown Ale
A cross between a Scotch Ale, an I.P.A, and an American Pale,
this beer is well hopped and malty at the same time.
Our Indian Brown Ale is brewed with Aromatic Barley and caramelized brown sugar.
7.2% ABV 50 IBU
available year round, 12 ounce bottles & draft
approx. 230 calories and 23 carbs per bottle

Descriptors: Notes of molasses, coffee, ginger, raisinettes, chocolate
Food pairing reccomendations:Balsamiv vinaigrette salads smoked meats,
duck confit, braised ribs, venison, proscuitto, stews
Suggested serving glass: pint glass
Comparable wine style: Shiraz

FORD's review: I've heard about Dogfish brews from east coast beer conniseurs for some time now, but didn't think I'd ever see any out this way, so curiosity alone justified the $9 I paid for this 6 pack. To call this the best Brown Ale this side of Newcastle would be a true statement, but it doesn't do justice to the beer.

The name "Indian Brown Ale" was an odd choice, since (aside from what their ad copy says above) I don't find much resembling an IPA in this brew. Definitely malt is favored in this one, and as far as the brown sugar goes, even Mick Jagger would have to agree, it tastes so good....

If I ever make it to the East Coast, this brewery is a scheduled stop

For you East Coasters. check em out! (http://www.dogfish.com)

FORD's rating : :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Golden AWe
08-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Are you guys familiar with this one?

http://www.stella-artois.com/landing.html

"Stella Artois is a Belgian lager beer that has been brewed in Leuven, Belgium by InBev (formerly InterBrew). Although the Artois brewery was established in 1366, the brew as it is commonly known today did not arrive on the scene until 1926. That year, the Stella Xmas beer was brewed for the first time. Colloquially known as Stella (the Latin word for star), it is the most popular premium lager in the UK beer market, and is being heavily promoted as an international brand by InBev. In many parts of the United Kingdom and Ireland Stella Artois has acquired the nickname Wifebeater. The exact origins of this name are not clear, but presumably this name likely arises from a famous scene in the play A Streetcar Named Desire, where Stanley (played by Marlon Brando in the film version) yells "Stella!", the name of his wife, as he begs her to return after violently beating her. It is also an urban myth that the drink makes one more prone to violence and yobbish behaviour, as typified by a subculture nicknamed 'Chavs'

Stella Artois is the title sponsor of the Queen's Club Championships, an annual tennis tournament held in London.
[edit]

Summary

* Alcohol: 5.2%
* Its widely known advertising slogan is "Reassuringly Expensive".
* The slogan is conveyed by way of very costly and lengthy, filmic television and cinema commercials directed by renowned movie directors such as Jonathan Glazer.
* A television advertising campaign famously used Verdi's The Force of Destiny, previously used in the film Jean de Florette.
* Famous for its 'Stubby' beer bottles (25cl)
* It is also available in 44cl, 50cl & 56.8cl (pint) cans, 33cl, 66cl, and 1 litre bottles, and 500cl draught kegs
* Stella Artois is brewed in Belgium and the United Kingdom, as well as other countries.
* Many British people believe that it has a higher alcohol content than any other beer on the market.
* Commonly known as 'wifebeater' because of the famous Marlon Brando performance in Streetcar Named Desire, where he has beaten his wife, then pleads for her forgiveness shouting "Stelllllaaaaa!" Coincidentally, this line and performance was notoriously mimicked in one of the most popular episodes of the Seinfeld Show in the 1990s as the beer also began its ascent in popularity. (Note, this nickname is not to do with its alcohol content, as most other premium Belgian beers are 7.5% or more (e.g. Duvel, Westmalle, Scaldis/Bush and Chimay.)"

I've been drinking a lot of this lately...along with Hoegaarden, Heineken, Budvar and Tuborg it's definetely one of the best I've ever found. (This is how much I can say about beers..."it's good, it's not good" ahahaha)

http://www.brocante.jp/barbrocante/img_bar/photo03.gif

FORD
08-22-2005, 11:53 PM
I've seen Stella & Hoegarden in a couple of stores. Thing is though, if these are "big label" beers overseas, chance is they'll be distributed by a big label (Bud/miller/coors) over here, which means it will be a watered down version. Even Guinness, good as it is, is a pale imitation of what they actually make in Dublin. I can get Belgian ales made locally, or in Colorado that are averaging 8 to 10% alcohol content, so I'm a little suspicious of an allegedly authentic Belgian brew at only 5.2%.

Sounds like a corporatized "import" to me :(

Golden AWe
08-23-2005, 01:51 AM
For us it's usually so that if we find a beer like the danish Carlsberg in the supermarket, as a cheap six-pack version, it is brewed and watered down in Finland...but if we buy it from the alcohol stores, we usually have the original version...and it's always the real thing.

larbo
08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Sounds good. I haven't attempted home brewing as of yet. Don't have the space for it at present :(

yeah, it's hard to do when you live in your parents basement you loser. and I think people are tired of your liberal extremist impeach bush bullshit. bush dont take no shit from nobody. especially little cancerous anti-americans like you! so go stand beside CINDY SHEEHAN and drink a bush light CAUSE THIS BUSCH IS FOR YOU! I SAY IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD!

FORD
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Fuck off and die, you Burbank bitchboy.

Golden AWe
08-24-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by larbo
yeah, it's hard to do when you live in your parents basement you loser. and I think people are tired of your liberal extremist impeach bush bullshit. bush dont take no shit from nobody. especially little cancerous anti-americans like you! so go stand beside CINDY SHEEHAN and drink a bush light CAUSE THIS BUSCH IS FOR YOU! I SAY IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD! IMPEACH FORD!

Fuck off, cunt.

I don't care how wrong FORD might be with his political views, that is "might be", this thread is dedicated to the KING BEER.

You sound like a moron anyway.

scamper
08-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by larbo

Take it elsewhere, your in the wrong thread.

scamper
08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
sorry "you're", I always fuck that up.

scamper
08-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I've seen Stella & Hoegarden in a couple of stores. Thing is though, if these are "big label" beers overseas, chance is they'll be distributed by a big label (Bud/miller/coors) over here, which means it will be a watered down version. Even Guinness, good as it is, is a pale imitation of what they actually make in Dublin. I can get Belgian ales made locally, or in Colorado that are averaging 8 to 10% alcohol content, so I'm a little suspicious of an allegedly authentic Belgian brew at only 5.2%.

5.2% does sound like Belgian lite, have you tried Guinness from Belgian?

scamper
08-24-2005, 08:14 AM
oops

scamper
08-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Guinness from Dublin? Got my head in a dark space this morning.

FORD
09-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Well.... now that Labor Day has come and gone, it's time for Oktoberfest beers to make the rounds again.

Old World Oktoberfest German Originations

In 1810, when Princess Therese was married to the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig, the festival began as a wedding celebration. In a meadow adjacent to Munich, as part of the wedding entertainment, a horse race was staged for 40,000 enthusiasts from all over Bavaria. The purpose of the celebration was two-fold:

* First, to give thanks to the Lord for the past years crops and other blessings.

* Second, to share in the joy of the occasion with the family in the spirit of true love.
source:http://www.oktoberfestusa.com/history.htm

Beer, God, and love eh? OK, those sound like good enough reasons to me. I'll drink to that :bottle:

----------------------------------------

Accordingly then, here's our first Oktoberfest entry, from our friends at the Widmer Brothers in Portland Oregon......

http://www.widmer.com/_images/beers/seasonals/header_okt.gif http://www.widmer.com/_images/beers/seasonals/mainimage_okt.jpg

In the grand tradition of Bavarian Oktoberfest, we proudly present OKTO. This full bodied amber ale with distinctive Malt flavors and a crisp, clean finish is our Northwest interpretation of the classic festival ale. Celebrate the season of beer.

FORD's review: It's been my experience that Widmer is the weakest link among NorthWest micro breweries. I'd drink the shit over Bud, Miller, or Coors any day, but compared to Deschutes, Red Hook, Pyramid, or my own neighborhood Fish Brewery, they just fall short. Tragically, this OKTO doesn't change my mind any. Good average ale, but nothing really special, I'm afraid.

FORD's rating : :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

FORD
10-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Winter Beers are back early this year..... Picked up the Frambozen tonight, and I saw the Sam Adams Holiday pack at Costco earlier this week. Passed on it though, because there's still no Old Fezziwig in the damn thing.....

If anybody sees any Oktoberfest or Winter beers I haven't reviewed yet, let me know!

http://www.newbelgium.com/Images/OurBeers/SpecialRelease/specialrelease/FR6.jpg

New Belgium welcomes the Holidays each year with the release of Frambozen, a brown ale fermented with Northwest raspberries. Frambozen, Flemish for raspberry, is a little more than 11% fruit by volume. Brewer Bill Hepp traveled to Oregon this year to oversee the selection and shipment process. He describes the first moment he experienced this year’s harvest.

“The room was redolent with the thick, summery aroma of fresh, red raspberries,” Bill recalls. “I opened the drum, untied the plastic liner, and scooped out a handful. Putting a few in my mouth, I could tell immediately that this was going to be an excellent year for Frambozen.”

An exceptionally warm growing season made for sweet fruits with a pleasantly tart finish. The final Frambozen weighs in at 7.0% ABV. Bill compares the finished beer with one of life’s guilty pleasures.

“Drinking Frambozen is like stomping on the gas of a vintage El Camino,” says Hepp. “It’s a delightful, powerful beer with a style and class all its own.”

Seeing as Bill rides his bike to work throughout the winter, we assume he’s speaking metaphorically.

Frambozen will be available throughout our distribution area October through January. Hop in the El Camino (or better yet, grab your bike) and go out and get you some.

Finished Product Information:
Alcohol: 7.0%
IBU: 16
Hops and Spices: Magnum, raspberries
Malts: Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-40, C-80, Munich

FORD's review: Usually I don't go out of my way to drink fruit flavored beers, but New Belgium puts out some intesting shit, and I'll drink any winter beer at least once.

This ale probably falls about half way between something like Widmer's Blackberry Heffeweisen and the above mentioned Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic in terms of the "fruity" flavor taking over the beer. It's a good medium, with the sweetness definitely present, but tasting more like a Belgian ale than champagne (as the Adams product does). No surprise there since it comes from a "Belgian" brewer.

This one would probably go great with your upcoming Turkey Day meal

I'll give it a :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: 1/2

Vinnie Velvet
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
frambozen,, eh?

Might give that one a try.

So FORD, what are your fave Canadian beers?? I for one love the Irish and English beers.

I love Guinness. Carling is okay.

John Smiths, Kilkenny, etc.

diamondsgirl
10-21-2005, 10:48 PM
I could use some help from you beer guys.

I went to an Octoberfest bash a few weeks back and had some great German imported beir.

One was exceptionally good. It started with "Franken" something something, I think.

It was kind of sweet tasting. Any idea?

FORD
10-23-2005, 02:12 AM
I could use some help from you beer guys.

I went to an Octoberfest bash a few weeks back and had some great German imported beir.

One was exceptionally good. It started with "Franken" something something, I think.

It was kind of sweet tasting. Any idea?

I'm seeing a "Franken" beer online, and it's a German beer that apparently just made distribution deals for the EU, but I couldn't find anything on a US distributor.

I have a local source here that sometimes gets the German imports in, but they only sell them by single bottles, and pricey at that. So that's one thing to buy a treat for yourself, but it would be big bucks to buy enough for a party.

Any chance you can find out from who ever was throwing the Oktoberfest party, and ask them how they got the beer?

diamondsgirl
10-23-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm seeing a "Franken" beer online, and it's a German beer that apparently just made distribution deals for the EU, but I couldn't find anything on a US distributor.

I have a local source here that sometimes gets the German imports in, but they only sell them by single bottles, and pricey at that. So that's one thing to buy a treat for yourself, but it would be big bucks to buy enough for a party.

Any chance you can find out from who ever was throwing the Oktoberfest party, and ask them how they got the beer?

Yeah, I'm going to call him up because I really liked it. . It was funny because I kept trying to memorize the name but the more I drank...the tougher it got. :D

The next day all I could remember was "franken...."

FORD
10-23-2005, 02:23 AM
**WINTER ADVISORY ALERT**

SNOW CAP ALE IS BACK IN THE MOTHERFUCKING HIZZOUSE!!!!

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/images/bottles_2005/snow_cap.jpg

Brand new label, same kick ass winter beer. As I've said in previous reviews (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10381&perpage=30&pagenumber=2) this is the standard by which I judge all other winter brews. And I haven't found one that beats it yet..... :gulp:

MAX
11-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Red Stripe, Red Stripe, Red Stripe. :D

http://www.vibe.com/contests/images/2005/07/red_stripe.jpg

Rebel
11-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Winter Beers are back early this year..... Picked up the Frambozen tonight, and I saw the Sam Adams Holiday pack at Costco earlier this week. Passed on it though, because there's still no Old Fezziwig in the damn thing.....

If anybody sees any Oktoberfest or Winter beers I haven't reviewed yet, let me know!

I saw this in Safeway tonight and picked it up. I enjoyed it, first "fruity" beer that I've tried that I liked, it wasn't really sweet at all, like you said, kinda in-between. Some sweet fruit aftertaste, but not too much at all. It was steep (10 bucks I think), but Safeway is high as hell anyway, but they have the best selection in this little town by far.

FORD
11-05-2005, 04:37 AM
10 bucks? Damn, I thought it was bad here. Most decent beer at Safeway here is between 7.00 - 8.00 anymore. And then there's the harder to find stuff which might run me up to $10 for a six pack.

Tonight I'm drinking Widmer Snow Plow, but I'm so unimpressed with it, I'm not even bothering with a formal review.

Rebel
11-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Everything around here is higher, including beer. I'm not sure if their prices are set right though at the Safeway, buy a six pack of Heiny for about 8-9 bucks, and a 12 pack is 12, makes no sense.

I could probably find it cheaper, but it's right there, probably what they are banking on.

Thanks for the review on it, no way I woulda got it if I hadn't seen that, I remembered when I saw it.

Rebel
11-05-2005, 03:44 PM
2000th post......woo hoo!!!

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 07:18 PM
"Hops Are to Beer What Grapes Are to Wine"

The Boston Beer Company Introduces Samuel Adams(r) Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest, a Limited-Edition Beer Brewed with an Abundance of Hallertau Mittelfrueh Hops, in Celebration of the Fall Hops Harvest

Boston, MA, October 2005- Throughout history, people have celebrated the bountiful harvest with ceremonies and festivals. This year is no different as Samuel Adams celebrates the fall hops harvest with the introduction of Samuel Adams(r) Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest. This one-of-a-kind brew uses enormous, almost reckless, quantities of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops selected fresh from this year's Bavarian hops harvest, giving the beer an unmatched flavor dimension and complexity.

Every autumn for the last twenty years, Jim Koch, Founder of The Boston Beer Company, Brewer of Samuel Adams beers, travels to one of the oldest hops growing regions of the world, the Hallertau region of Bavaria in Germany, to hand-select Noble hops.

"Samuel Adams has always taken pride in using the world's finest ingredients, and Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest takes that commitment to the next level," said Koch. "Beer enthusiasts will experience the taste of hops right off the vine, and how an abundance of Noble hops can enhance the flavor and intensity of a beer."

With the first sip, beer enthusiasts will experience an explosion of the Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. This rare hops variety, considered to be one of the best in the world, is prized for its quality and aromatic characteristics. The intensity of deep citrus, spicy Noble hops flavor, is balanced with the slight sweetness from the malt. Due to the quality of the hops, this beer remains balanced and smoothly drinkable. The lingering "hops signature" is an amazing treat for hops lovers. The beer, which has a deep golden color and a rich, creamy head, gives off an intense and complex Noble hops aroma, very similar to what Jim experiences when he rubs the hops together in his hands during hops selection, to release the essence of the hops flowers.

The world's finest ingredients are considered the Holy Grail to Jim Koch. "While many brewers just sniff the hops, he 'dives' into them," said Stefan Stanglmair, a German hops farmer. Jim involves himself in every aspect of the development of a new beer, from the ingredient selection to the brewing. He tastes each batch brewed, to ensure it meets his high standards of quality. As with all Samuel Adams beers, each batch of Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest is brewed one at a time with handcrafted care and precision.

Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest is a robust, flavorful beer. It stands up well to creamy dishes such as beef stroganoff, grilled steak smothered with a thick mushroom sauce, or a traditional Tuscan style roast meat, such as Osso Bucco. It also pairs well with pungent, creamy cheeses, such as Brie or Camembert. Chef David Burke of Davidburke & Donatella Restaurant in New York City recommends Lobster Firecrackers with Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest Lemon Sabayon (recipes available upon request).

Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest will be available in select specialty beer stores beginning in November 2005, for a suggested retail price of $4.99. The beer is packaged in a 24 oz. bottle, featuring a beautiful label that captures an artistic rendering of a farmer hand selecting the Bavarian hops from the harvest.

ABOUT HALLERTAU MITTELFRUEH HOPS:
Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops, one of the five types of Bavarian Noble hops, are considered to be one of the best hops varieties in the world, and are prized for their quality flavor and aromatic characteristics. These special hops are grown only in the Hallertau region in Bavaria, where there are only a few thousand acres of hops-growing land that provide the perfect soil and climate for growing Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. These hops are considered to be among the world's finest and most expensive. Because these hops are difficult to grow and vulnerable to disease, many German hops farmers stopped growing the variety about a decade ago. The total acreage for Hallertau Mittelfrueh declined to less than 400 acres. Insistent on using only the best ingredients for their beers, Jim Koch and the Samuel Adams brewers worked with hop dealers and farmers to save the variety. Partially in recognition of his efforts to keep this variety from extinction, the International Hop Growers Association honored Jim Koch with this year's prestigious "Order of the Hops" award and naming him a Knight to the Order of the Hop Society, an organization dating back to 1371.

THE BOSTON BEER COMPANY BACKGROUND:
The Boston Beer Company is America's leading brewer of handcrafted, full-flavored beers. Founder and Brewer, Jim Koch, brews Samuel Adams beers using the time-honored, traditional four-vessel brewing process, and the world's finest all-natural ingredients. With 18 distinctive, award-winning styles of beer, Samuel Adams offers discerning beer drinkers a variety of brews. The brewery has won more awards in international beer-tasting competitions in the last five years than any other brewery in the world. Samuel Adams is an independent brewery and has half of a percent of the domestic beer market. The Company's flagship brand, Samuel Adams(r) Boston Lager, is brewed using the same recipe and processes that Jim Koch's great-great grandfather used in the mid 1800s. The result is a beer renowned by drinkers for its full flavor, balance, complexity, and consistent quality. For more information, visit www.samueladams.com.

###

SAMUEL ADAMS IMPERIAL PILSNER 2005 HARVEST
FACT SHEET

THE BEER:
For the first time, Samuel Adams is celebrating the fall hops harvest with the introduction of Samuel Adams(r) Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest. This is the first beer to reach market using this year's Bavarian hops crop. This one-of-a-kind brew uses enormous, almost reckless, quantities of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops selected fresh from this year's Bavarian hops harvest, making it one of the "hoppiest" beers in the world. The quality of these hops give the beer an unmatched flavor dimension and complexity and drinkability, even at these elevated BU (bitterness unit) levels.

THE VISION:
Every fall, Jim Koch, Founder of the Boston Beer Company, Brewer of Samuel Adams beers and his team of brewers travel to one of the oldest hops-growing regions of the world, the Hallertau region of Bavaria in Germany, to hand-select Noble hops. The vision for Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest was to brew a beer that immediately uses the hops freshly picked off the vine from the current 2005 harvest.

THE TASTE:
Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 is made with the four classic ingredients of beer: hops, malt, yeast and water. With the first sip, beer enthusiasts will experience an explosion of the Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops flavor. This rare hop variety, considered to be one of the best in the world, is prized for its quality and aromatic characteristics. The intensity of deep citrus, spicy Noble hops flavor is balanced with the slight sweetness from the malt. Due to the quality of the hops, this beer remains balanced and smoothly drinkable. The lingering "hop signature" is an amazing treat for hops lovers. The beer, which is a deep golden color with a rich, creamy head, gives off an intense and complex Noble hops aroma unlike any other brew.

THE BOTTLE:
Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest is packaged in a 24 oz. bottle featuring a beautiful label with an artistic rendering of a farmer hand selecting the Bavarian hops from the harvest. The suggested retail price is $4.99.

OTHER SPECIFICS OF IMPERIAL PILSNER 2005 HARVEST:
Alcohol by Volume: 8.8%
International Bitterness Units: 110
Availability: Nationwide limited-edition release November 2005
Available Package: 24 oz. bottle
Brewing Site: Samuel Adams Breweries in Boston, MA and Cincinnati, Ohio
Number of Bottles Brewed: 60,000
Recommended Serving Temperature: 38 to 42 degrees
Retail Locations: Specialty liquor or beer stores where Samuel Adams beer is sold
Suggested Retail Price: $4.99

Best Foods to pair with Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest:
* Beef stroganoff
* Steak with mushroom sauce
* Tuscan-style meat, such as Osso Buco
* Flavorful cheeses such as brie, camembert, or blue cheese

THE BOSTON BEER COMPANY'S BACKGROUND:
The Boston Beer Company is America's leading brewer of handcrafted, full-flavored beer. Founder and Brewer, Jim Koch, brews Samuel Adams using the time-honored, traditional four-vessel brewing process, and the world's finest all-natural ingredients. With 18 distinctive, award-winning styles of beer, Samuel Adams offers discerning beer drinkers a variety of brews. The brewery has won more awards in international beer tasting competitions in the last five years than any other brewery in the world. Samuel Adams is an independent brewery and has half of a percent of the domestic beer market. The Company's flagship brand, Samuel Adams Boston Lager(r), is brewed using the same recipe and processes that Jim Koch's great-great grandfather used in the mid 1800s. The result is a beer renowned by drinkers for its full flavor, balance, complexity, and consistent quality. For more information, visit www.samueladams.com.

I just picked this up at the local beer store. One of my cronies held this on special for me, they only received four of these babies.

I'm looking forward to drinking this, but I might save it for Thanksgiving. I post my own review then...

http://www.samueladams.com/news.aspx?release=20

Sorry, no picture.

FORD
11-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Sounds like this one's a limited run, so I probably won't see it out on this coast :(

I'm hoping Sam Adams sends the Old Fezziwig or Cranberry Lambic out this way though. The Cranberry would be perfect for Turkey Day.

Been cutting back on the beer anyway though, so it's probably just as well.....

Nickdfresh
11-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds like this one's a limited run, so I probably won't see it out on this coast :(

I'm hoping Sam Adams sends the Old Fezziwig or Cranberry Lambic out this way though. The Cranberry would be perfect for Turkey Day.

Been cutting back on the beer anyway though, so it's probably just as well.....

We get the Cranberry Lambic in the special "Holiday Packs" on the east coast...

FORD
11-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, they got the holiday packs at Costco here. I might break down and buy one if I can't find a full 6 pack of the real thing. I just hate paying for a multi-pack that has fucking "lite beer" in it.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, they got the holiday packs at Costco here. I might break down and buy one if I can't find a full 6 pack of the real thing. I just hate paying for a multi-pack that has fucking "lite beer" in it.

Nope, no more lite beer this year. I think it's been replaced with the "Black Lager.":) At least here it has...

Ally_Kat
11-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Oh man. See, this October I had one huge German beer drinking party. Filled up on the ol' Spaten and some Beck's Oktoberfest. And, of course, some wursts and pork. And, of course, after doing so, I decided that no matter what time of the yr, I was having an Oktoberfest reception. I mean, hell, it started as a wedding reception to being with.

I'm such a dork, I know.

FORD
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Nope, no more lite beer this year. I think it's been replaced with the "Black Lager.":) At least here it has...

I could have sworn it was the same mix as last year. Oh well... I'll probably hit Costco later in the week, so I'll check it out.

What's the "Black Lager"??

Drank some of the "Winter Lager" last night. Not bad, as lager goes, but I couldn't make out exactly what "spices" were in it.

Nickdfresh
11-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I could have sworn it was the same mix as last year. Oh well... I'll probably hit Costco later in the week, so I'll check it out.

What's the "Black Lager"??

Drank some of the "Winter Lager" last night. Not bad, as lager goes, but I couldn't make out exactly what "spices" were in it.

When one sees a beer with a darker complexion these days, more often than not it’s a Porter or Stout. However looks can be deceiving. There exists a style older than both and generally less well known; the Schwarzbier, which literally translated is “Black Beer.” Unlike its dark cousins which both hail from Britain and are highly hopped ales, Schwarzbier comes from Germany, is lightly hopped and is fermented using a bottom fermenting lager yeast. Samuel Adams® Black Lager is brewed in the tradition of the latter. A medium bodied beer brewed using several different roasts of malt to give the end product a smooth body and a depth of malt character that has to be tasted to be believed.
Carafa® is a registered trademark of Weyermann Malt, Bamburg, Germany.

It's not bad, a very hearty "Gunniess" style beer...

Rebel
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Bought a six pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager today, pretty damn good.

DrMaddVibe
12-05-2005, 09:57 PM
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=23562

FORD
12-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=23562

How the FUCK did you find this? I even read The Stranger on occasion, and I've never heard of that crazy shit before. If I can find that beer, I'll send you some ;)

Nickdfresh
07-21-2006, 09:27 PM
http://static.flickr.com/29/43671320_f9453aa48d_m.jpg
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/m-sustat.gif

Our Summerfest is a refreshing, pilsner-style lager. Its incredible smoothness comes from an extra-long lagering period. Lighter in body than our ales but just as complex in character, Summerfest quenches your thirst with big aroma and a tangy hop bite.

GOLD MEDAL WINNER
California State Fair (European Light Lagers: 1999)

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/summerfest.html

Nickdfresh gives this: :guzzle: :guzzle: :guzzle: :guzzle: /5

FORD
08-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Kickin up the original alcohol appreciation thread... :gulp:

blonddgirl777
08-23-2006, 08:45 AM
With 7 pages on beer... I guess starting a "Wine Thread" wouldn't be too popular here... :confused:

blonddgirl777
08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Kickin up the original alcohol appreciation thread... :gulp:

Is your idea to separate beer and politics?
Because those 2 seem to co-exist very well over "there"... :p

FORD
08-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Is your idea to separate beer and politics?
Because those 2 seem to co-exist very well over "there"... :p

Hell, I always get into political discussions when I'm drunk. Probably half the political discussions on this board are no exception, though I don't drink so much anymore.

This thread exists strictly to promote quality beer. Nothing else. :gulp:

blonddgirl777
08-24-2006, 10:53 AM
...This thread exists strictly to promote quality beer. Nothing else. :gulp:

Then I guess y'all will stay away from Molson and Labatt?

Is the "Black Label" still around?

I remember in the 80', they made such a huge campain that cool punk rockers had to drink it and eaven if apparently it tasted like piss, everyone DID. drink it.
I (who hates beer) eaven orederd it just to hold it in my hands and "look" cool... :rolleyes:

What publicity can do to a "fashion victim" teenager!

Now the guys have to drink a fine Scotch or a designer beer to be hip...
Girls go with Martinis and Cosmos...

FORD
11-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Our first winter beer entry for the season comes from the Anderson Valley Brewing Company of Mendicino California, brewers of the damn fine "Barney Flatts Oatmeal Stout" and "Hop Ottin IPA"

http://www.avbc.com/beers/WinterSolsticeBig.jpg

Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale
is going fast. If you See it, Buy it! There won't be any more until next winter.

This fine holiday brew was awarded Gold Medals in 1997 and 1998 by the World Beer Championships , and was named their 1998 World Champion Winter Ale .

From the first sip of Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale , your senses will be aroused with the vision of a glowing fire, warming the hearth and home, as gently drifting snow flakes silently blanket the trees outside. Each lingering sip will gently warm your soul with thoughts of family and friends, gathering around the table for the feast. Luscious, creamy, smooth, and warming, this medium bodied ale is brewed with Caramel and crystal malts to give it just a hint of sweetness, then paired with our private blend of holiday spice. Winter Solstice Ale is great alone or as an accompaniment to any meal, and it has been known to liven and spice up nearly any social event. This coveted and much sought-after brew is released in November, just in time for the holidays, and by the first of the New Year will be only a fond memory.

As with all of our products, Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

6.9 % Alcohol by Volume

While this beer tastes more like a Belgian ale than it does the typical winter warmer, it's definitely the high quality product I've come to expect from Anderson Valley. I just wish their beer was a little easier to find around here.

Best served ice cold after a political slaughter :D

blonddgirl777
11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Here is one of the beers that my husband drank on his "beer rampage" in Belgium...
It is a traditional brew that was fabricated by the Carmelites nuns, centuries ago...
Apparently is it awsome!

You can probably find it in a specialty store near you?
(I really like the design of the logo and the glass...)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/blonddgirl777/TripelKarmeliet.jpg

FORD
11-12-2006, 03:32 AM
The label looks familiar. I think I have seen it in a couple stores in town that carry the imports. I'll have to look for it.

FORD
06-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Greetings Rothalcoholics and HALEN hopheads!!

Wow, over 6 months since the last beercyclopedia entry..... time flies huh?

Truthfully, I've been drinking much less in my old age, and sticking with the old classics when I do. Hadn't tried anything new in a while.....

Now you might remember that I've said in the past that I don't care for lager as much as an ale or a stout. As a rule that remains the case, but I found a lager worthy of note tionight.....

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/site_images/ltd_02_recipe.jpg

Every microbrewery in the Northwest and probably everywhere else puts out some sort of light weight "summer brew" that's usually pretty lame. Had some Sam Adams "Summer Ale" at a friend's house earlier in the week and said to say it doesn't make the cut.

But Full Sail has done well with this one. I hope they move it from a "Limited Edition" to a full time beer

Redballjets88
06-17-2007, 04:36 AM
this stuff is soo damn good, and cheap if your going to have a get together and are strapped for cash 12.99 for 30. its better than Corona

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/redballjets88/turtlebeer.jpg

FORD
06-17-2007, 04:47 AM
Dude, this ain't the crap beer thread!

If it comes in a can, it sucks... Nobody's proven me wrong on that one yet.

Redballjets88
06-17-2007, 04:50 AM
hey to me that shit is gourmet, im 19 and work as a waiter thats shit is gold in a bottle haha.

FORD
06-17-2007, 05:15 AM
I drank cheap beer when I was 19 too. But that's not what this thread is about. This is just the quality stuff. Does that make me a beer snob? Fuck yes, but I don't get hangovers because I don't drink impurities.

Redballjets88
06-17-2007, 05:17 AM
thats cool. are their any good light color beers like that, i dont like dark beer too much.

FORD
06-17-2007, 05:28 AM
Lager's are generally lighter beers. If you were going to judge beer by terms of color alone, it would probably go, in terms of lightest to darkest....

Pilsner.Lager.Ale.Stout.

That's a basic guideline. Of course there are all sorts of branches off of any of those. Blondes, Porters, etc.

Redballjets88
06-17-2007, 05:31 AM
i really like Shiner Blonde.

FORD
09-09-2007, 04:42 AM
The Beercyclopedia welcomes a new sponsor this weekend.... The IronHorse Brewery of Ellensburg Washington.

http://www.iron-horse-brewery.com/locomotive.jpg

Malty & dark red in color, Loco-Motive features an
aromatic hop bite to balance the sweet flavor.

If their red ale is this hoppy, I can't wait to try their IPA.

But then, the finest hops in the world are grown within a short distance from Ellensburg, so why not use what you got?

And the results are excellent. And appropriately named. This stuff goes down smooth, but at 7.5% alcohol, it hits you like a fucking freight train. But only in the best way.

FORD's rating: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: ½

http://www.iron-horse-brewery.com

FORD
09-09-2007, 04:46 AM
BTW, the owner of Iron Horse used to work for Sierra Nevada, so if you are fans of their work, you might want to look for this stuff.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
BUMP for The Chump.

Learn from one of the masters, BlueballJets

Thanks FORD.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
hey to me that shit is gourmet, im 19 and work as a waiter thats shit is gold in a bottle haha.

LMAO

Nothing's changed I see.....

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
this stuff is soo damn good, and cheap if your going to have a get together and are strapped for cash 12.99 for 30. its better than Corona

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/redballjets88/turtlebeer.jpg

omg.

"Better than Corona"

:lol:

What isn't better than Corona?

FORD
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
omg.

"Better than Corona"

:lol:

What isn't better than Corona?

Shiner? :D

kwame k
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
PBR http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/471243407_065c8390d8.jpg

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Shiner? :D

The kid should start a "Shitty Beer Thread"

WACF
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
The only thing Corona or Bud have going for it is marketing...

kwame k
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
The only thing Corona or Bud have going for it is marketing...

and millions of people with no taste Buds:biggrin:. It's that old saying of mine, "If you shove enough shit down someone's throat, eventually, they get a taste for it".

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Exactly.....

Even some drummers have taste when it comes to brews.......

There are NO mass produced American beers worth a piss. None. Nada.

And anyone who thinks Shiner is a quality brew, either has no taste, or has never actually tasted real beer

I know we're spoiled up here in Cascadia, with some of the best microbreweries in the world, but shit even Sam Adams is better than any swill brewed in Texass.

And quality NEVER comes in a 30-pack, or for under $7.00 a six-pack.

hideyoursheep
02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Greatest stuff on the planet IMO

http://www.franziskaner.com/3_products/3_1_product_spectrum/index.htm

I could have floated the USS Independence on what I put away!

hideyoursheep
02-26-2009, 05:15 AM
And if you're ever in the neighborhood, you HAVE to go to the Kreutzberg Monestary in Ober Wildflicken. The beer can only be purchased at the monastary or the gasthaus in front. It is the last Monastary beer (Klosterbier) brewery in Germany that is still 100% controlled by monks. All the other Kloster biers are either owned or run by a brewery.

sadaist
02-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Dude, this ain't the crap beer thread!

If it comes in a can, it sucks... Nobody's proven me wrong on that one yet.

I agree but with one exception. Guinness Draught can be purchased in a tall can with a special widget ball inside that makes it pour similar to a tap (liquid nitrogen or something...not too sure). Not the same by any means, but not bad in a pinch and certainly doesn't suck.

http://www2.guinness.com/en-us/PublishingImages/beer_photo_draught_can.jpg

FORD
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
OK..... I'll concede that one. I'll drink Guinness from a can if I have to. But it's still better in a bottle. Or on tap. :gulp:

kwame k
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Been doing some Irish Reds, lately.......This isn't that bad, C+ to B-

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/ConwaysIrish_BottleGlass.jpg

A malty Irish Ale with a notable toasty flavor derived from lightly roasted malt.

ABV: 6.5% ABW: 5.4% IBU: 25

FORD
02-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Great Lakes appears to have some interesting products, but it looks like the more interesting choices are only seasonal or "pub-based". Bummer that they don't have a stout in their year round product line. :(

kwame k
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
The Red was a nice change of pace.........wanted something different then an IPA, today.

WACF
02-27-2009, 01:07 AM
I agree but with one exception. Guinness Draught can be purchased in a tall can with a special widget ball inside that makes it pour similar to a tap (liquid nitrogen or something...not too sure). Not the same by any means, but not bad in a pinch and certainly doesn't suck.

http://www2.guinness.com/en-us/PublishingImages/beer_photo_draught_can.jpg

Yeah...it's not bad in the can...Kilkenny, ice cold is pretty good out of the can too.

I still prefer the bottles though...

WACF
02-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Been doing some Irish Reds, lately.......This isn't that bad, C+ to B-

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/ConwaysIrish_BottleGlass.jpg

A malty Irish Ale with a notable toasty flavor derived from lightly roasted malt.

ABV: 6.5% ABW: 5.4% IBU: 25

Dear God that looks good...

LoungeMachine
02-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Speaking of Guinness.....

Had a few Irish Car Bombs the other day.........

whoo, boy. :gulp:

FORD
02-27-2009, 03:29 AM
Speaking of Guinness.....

Had a few Irish Car Bombs the other day.........

whoo, boy. :gulp:

Seems to be some controversy on the net whether or not it would be advisable to order such a drink in an actual Irish pub. Haven't tried one yet, but it sounds like one Hell of an idea. :gulp:

Has to be better than a Jaeger Bomb (Jaegermeister & Red Bull) which tasted like carbonated cough syrup.

Inappropriate
posted by balls @ 10:41PM, 1/24/07

A friend of mine went to a pub in Ireland and asked for an Irish Car Bomb -- the bartender told him to fuck off and asked how he would like it if he went to the states and ordered a "9/11".
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink7774.html

LoungeMachine
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Note to self: Don't order Irish Car Bomb next time I'm in Belfast.

sadaist
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
This doesn't really belong here but I'm adding it anyways. (Still has BEER in the title) Fucking delicious fresh from a cooler of chipped ice.

http://www.ibcrootbeer.com/images/poprb1.jpg

FORD
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
IBC still contains high fructose corn poison. Better off going with real sugar sweetened Thomas Kemper

http://www.tksoda.com/img/root_beer_promo.png

(also, it's made by a brewery, so that almost brings this thread back on topic ;) )

kwame k
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
If you are a purist when it comes to Hefeweizen's this is not the beer for you. It almost is the equivalent to a Hefe Light? Not as heavy/full bodied as a traditional Hefeweizen. Their Pale Ale was disappointing. This one is not too bad.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/HEF_WEBdesc.jpg

Link (http://www.firehousebrew.com/FBCbeerHEF.html)

sadaist
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
(also, it's made by a brewery, so that almost brings this thread back on topic ;) )

LOL. Sorry. Back on topic, I don't know a whole lot about whats in a beer, rating numbers, etc...I just go by what tastes good. This one is always a treat.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2557659710_f005a2c0e5.jpg?v=0

7.1% by volume.

chefcraig
03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
This doesn't really belong here but I'm adding it anyways. (Still has BEER in the title) Fucking delicious fresh from a cooler of chipped ice.

http://www.ibcrootbeer.com/images/poprb1.jpg

IBC is outstanding. It certainly is worth the cost, as our local market sells it for nearly 4 dollars a six pack. And you are absolutely correct, it needs to be served ice-cold.

FORD
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL. Sorry. Back on topic, I don't know a whole lot about whats in a beer, rating numbers, etc...I just go by what tastes good. This one is always a treat.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2557659710_f005a2c0e5.jpg?v=0

7.1% by volume.

Haven't tried that one, but it doesn't look all that "blonde" to me. Though at 7.1% it's probably stronger than most blondes.

There are exceptions though.... the best night of beer drinking I ever had was at a political fundraiser in the late 1990's sponsored by the local home brewers association. All the beer I could drink, and it didn't cost me a penny because I was working the event. They had a blonde ale there that was lighter than your typical pisswater domestic, but at around 8%, it was anything BUT weak. Wish I knew how to get in touch with those guys, but my political rolodex from the Young Democrats days is long gone :(

kwame k
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/IMG_0257.jpg

Beer Style: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Hop Variety: Styrian Goldings
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, cara 8, cara 20
OG: 1.080 Alcohol By Volume: 9.0% IBU's: 25
Color: Golden

Link (http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers/docs/salvation)

Avery makes some decent brews. This is a very heavy but flavorful Belgian-Style Golden Ale. While not what I'd consider a true Golden Ale it is worth trying.

That picture is the last glass full out of the bottle.......hmmmmm good. Overall B+.

kwame k
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
fucking dupe

FORD
12-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Happy winter beer season y'all!

For those of you with a Trader Joe's nearby, you might want to pick up some of this stuff....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/4152299858_199ae6187f.jpg

2009 Vintage Ale
Only at Trader Joe’s!
You might be used to seeing
vintages on wine; perhaps not so much
on beer. And that’s what makes this
beer so special. Trader Joe’s Vintage
Ale was developed, crafted, brewed
and bottled for us in limited quantities
in 2009. Its favor, color, texture and
overall character are different from our
Vintage Ale of 2008, and in 2010 it will
be different once again.
The 2009 Vintage Ale is an
opaque black color and features an
impressive coffee-colored foam. It
boasts cocoa and malt aromas, with
a subtle hint of lemon and ginger. A
sip really brings out the best in this
ale – malty and mildly sweet, with
hints of cocoa, citrus and spices. Chill
and enjoy right away. Unlike many
beers, though, this one will become
more complex and interesting as time
goes by, so save some for next year to
compare with next year’s 2010 vintage.
Our excellent value price of $4.99 for
each 750 ml makes this a vintage to
savor.

This isn't your typical FORD country review, since I haven't cracked open the bottle yet. Just posted here for the benefit of those who might want to pick some up for the holiday, so you gotta get to TJ's before 6:00 PM tomorrow

But by the description and the fact that this is a 9% brew, I doubt I will be disappointed. Trader Joes rarely lets me down....... :gulp:

Dan
12-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Ford,When You Have Had A Beer From New Zealand, Then Let Me Know.:D

FORD
12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Ford,When You Have Had A Beer From New Zealand, Then Let Me Know.:D

Steinlager is about the only KIWI beer I've ever seen, and even that was a while back. Didn't even realize at first it was from NZ with a German sounding name like that.

Looks like theres a Renaissance Brewery down there that makes some interesting stuff though.....

http://www.renaissancebrewing.co.nz/renaissance_beer_rgb.jpg

Renaissance Brewing Marlborough New Zealand brewers of enlightened ale (http://www.renaissancebrewing.co.nz/index.html)

FORD
12-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Back to our Trader Joe's vintage ale though......

Cracked that one open tonight as I was tracking Satan Claus' journey on NORAD.

Turns out that it's made by UNIBROUE out of Canada. Been a while since I tried their products, but it probably compares to the Trois Pistoles best.

UNIBROUE - OUR BEERS PAGE (http://www.unibroue.com/graphs_our_beers/trois_pistoles.html)

However, considering the big bottles of this are going for 7 bucks or so on this side of the border, the Trader Joe's version is a great deal

FORD's rating : :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Merry Beermas to all, and to all a drunk night!

FORD
01-01-2010, 01:59 AM
And for your New Years Eve selection from the FORD Country beer taps......

Also from Trader Joes: Winterfest Lager.

http://www.betterbeerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/1/joseph_brau_winterfest.jpg

as previously mentioned, some of the Trader Joes beer brands are actually available under another name elsewhere. In this case, it appears to be Gordon Biersch's Winter Bock.

http://www.chow.com/assets/2007/12/gordon_biersch_inline.jpg

No problem... any west coast winter beer is worthy of FORD Country review.....

In the 11th century, Bavarian monks sustained themselves during winter fasts with beers made from strong, dark flavored malts. These creamy bocks ensured that the monks would fast frequently. Alcohol 7.5% v/v, Bitterness 24 IBU, Residual sugar 4.7%.

Available in 6 packs and kegs. This is a seasonal product available only during the months of October through February.

Though 7.5% is strong for a lager, this is a very "drinkable" beer that even a Bud/Miller/Coors drinker could probably handle. Though they would probably be out on their ass after two of them.

Don't see the GB label that often around here, but I'll definitely pick up the Trader Joe's version as long as it's in season.

FORD's rating: :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Happy New Beer to all!!

FORD
01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Came across this tonight when I was picking up some munchies for the State of the Union speech.....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3352967226_2e54fc15b2.jpg

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/img/blog/full_sail_slipknot.jpg

SLIPKNOT IMPERIAL IPA
Available January to Mid March
As the name implies, every aspect of this American
style IPA is amplified - from the up-front hop aroma and
bitterness to the big malt body.
Available in 22oz Bottles and Draught
ABV: 8.2% IBUs: 80

Very nice hoppy IPA. Too bad they aren't selling it in 6 packs.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
as i sit here drinkin' swill:(

FORD
08-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Dear Lord Almighty Jesus, I can't believe it's been almost 8 months since my last Beer confession. But after a day filled with minor victories over corporate satanism, fond rememberances of high school frustrated romances and reconnecting with long lost friends (and a good deal of GAyR bashing) it was goddamned time to celebrate with a beer worthy of mention......

Thank God for our friends at Sierra Nevada breweries and their Torpedo Extra IPA.....

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/Torpedo-bot.jpg

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.3 Plato bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.2 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 65 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

sadaist
08-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Weird you bumped this thread today. I had a dream last night where I was enjoying a glass of some amber colored brew. No name on it, so not sure what I was craving. But was a rich golden amber color and very smooth and tasty. I never dream about beer either. Gotta hit the store tomorrow & see what I find.

FORD
11-28-2010, 03:45 AM
We return to the Beercyclopedia with this special edition from our friends at the Deschutes Brewery of Bend Oregon.......

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BBXXI_bottle.gif

Black Butte XXI
A Tribute to Black Butte Porter

This masterpiece is a tribute to Black Butte Porter, the revolutionary Deschutes Brewery beer that has excited beer enthusiasts since 1988. This special Reserve Series release is a colossal version of Black Butte Porter. Our brewers enhanced Black Butte XXI by adding some Theo’s Chocolate cocoa nibs from Seattle, dry-hopping it with 100 pounds of Bellatazza’s locally roasted coffee, and then aging a portion of it in Stranahan’s Colorado whiskey barrels. These regional partners provided quality artisan ingredients that give this commemorative beer a truly handcrafted complexity.

Released as Black Butte XX in 2008 to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

Releases:
June 2008
June 2009

Alc. by Vol.
11%
IBUs

If you are a fan of regular Black Butte Porter, this is a whole different animal entirely. I actually prefer Deschutes' Obsidian Stout to the regular Black Butte, but this shit is just something else entirely. It's like porter, stout, coffee, and chocolate all in one bottle. And at 11% alcohol, one bottle (22 oz) delivers a decent buzz. If this came in a six pack, it would be more than enough to put you away for the night.

Tragic that a beer this good isn't available all the time, but it is winter beer season, so it's not like there aren't many other great options out there.

FORD's rating: :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/reserve-series/black-butte-xx/default.aspx

FORD
11-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Just a side note.... Trader Joe's holiday ale is available now (had some at the FORD family Thanksgiving festivities) and it's just as good as it was last year, so grab some of that too. It will probably be easier to find than the Black Butte XI (assuming there's a Trader Joes within reasonable driving distance)

FORD
12-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Our Christmas 2010 selection comes from the frozen Arctic tundra of the Alaskan Brewing Company..........

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/images/stories/bw_bottle_pint_stacked.jpg

Originating in England in the 19th century, barley wine is a style of strong ale so named because many versions have a high alcohol content comparable to wines of the same era. American barley wines feature big malt character and high residual sweetness, counterbalanced by the generous addition of hops.

Alaskan Barley Wine is a full bodied ale, deep mahogany in color and brewed with an array of complementing malts to achieve its high original gravity. Multiple hop additions in the boil and dry hopping during fermentation provide contrast to the big malt character resulting in the smooth balance that distinguishes this specialty brew. Like many fine wines, Alaskan Barley Wine may be aged in the bottle and gains deeper malt complexity and smoothness over time.

Alaskan Barley Wine has been produced in limited edition vintages each year since its introduction in 2003. A big beer for big winters, this brew has garnered a steady following in Alaska. Bottled for the first time in 2007, the balanced flavor collaboration between hops, malt and high alcohol showcases the barley wine style, winning first place at the 2007 Toronado Barley Wine Festival and bronze at the 2008 World Beer Cup.

Alaskan Barley Wine Ale is made from glacier-fed water, a generous blend of the finest Pacific Northwest hop varieties and premium two-row and specialty malts. Our water originates in the 1,500 square-mile Juneau Ice Field and from more than 90 inches of rainfall each year.

Alaskan Barley Wine is best if served at warmer temperatures, approximately 45 to 50 degrees. While impressive on its own, the richly complex flavor is enhanced when paired with desserts, strong cheeses and hearty, flavorful stews.

From the Alaska Natives who first trained dog teams for winter transportation to the Russian and American settlers of the 19th century to today's Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race®, the history of Alaska is tethered alongside the history of dog mushing. Dog teams were the primary source of winter transportation in Alaska before the advent of the airplane and are widely used even today for sport racing as well as travel in remote areas of the state.

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/images/wbadvert/11.jpg?r=c4fa4f0e7452c415b8302549f6c0077d

Leave a pint of this out for Santa, instead of the milk with the cookies. He'll appreciate it.

Merry Beermas to all, and to all a good pint. (or several, actually)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
ooooh, i'm happy

leinie's northwoods is comin' back as a "limited" beer.