PDA

View Full Version : guitar playing

zink007
09-12-2004, 03:59 PM
just wondering if a guitar pick is necessary and if it is why?

turboblues
09-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by zink007
just wondering if a guitar pick is necessary and if it is why? Depends on which style you want to play : some classical, flamenco, blues style, country, Dire Straits, you can do without one but if you want to shred or do some pinch harmonics, make sure you have some with you. Plus, it is cool to throw them at your fans (if you have any).

jacksmar
09-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Learn both and develop from there.
Don’t let anyone tell you you’re doing it wrong; if it fits you and it works, you’re doing it right.

Jake E. Lee didn’t use the bar but it sounded like it; he bent the neck and used his strings above the nut.

Lindsay Buckingham uses his fingers mostly, if not entirely, but I’ve seen him use a pick.

Ted Nugent gets his speed from a chicken pickin technique used in country music; same with Vai, Wylde, and even Vinnie Vincent.

Use your ears and practice daily. You’ll end up telling us what works and we’ll be envious.

sambo
09-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Learn both, then decide what you like to use and where...

Panamark
09-14-2004, 08:21 AM
For me, I dont use a pick on clean string picking, I tuck it under my ring finger, (and use every finger on my right hand to pick, except the third finger) then when Im Rocking, I can easily move the pick from my third finger back to my thumb and first.. Good way to combine both.. I do it now without thinking and dont miss a beat inbetween.
Good for songs where you have both elements...

GAR
09-22-2004, 08:08 PM
When I started, the only picks I had were the ones I begged off of local bands who played at our school, or at backyards. I didn't have shit.

Learning to play initially without a pick will develop an enhanced sensitivity of your finger TIPS for the string and how to really dig in and get a good sound. For example, Jeff Beck to this day doesn't use a pick.

Jimi Hendricks learned without a pick. Picks aint really necessary for learning at all: Ask anyone who plays a classical guitar.

Hecubus
09-22-2004, 10:00 PM
When I want to play quietly I fingerpick, when I don't care who hears, it's always with the pick. It's good to do both, so you're versatile.