PDA

View Full Version : juvenile diabetes

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Today got a call today that my nephew.(wife's sisters kid) was in the ICU. He had been sick all week with what they thought was a flu anyways this morning apparently he could not breathe so they took him to the hospital.

When he got there was got tested and his sugar was 30. Apparently it should be 6 and he was unconcious. They have gotten it down to 24 and Im sure after a few days they should get it under control (god I hope).

I didn't write this to illicit any response cause I know you all will pray or whatever you do for Evan but what I did wonder is have any of you ever experience juvenile diabetes, cause no one had any idea he even had this. I mean can't understand how he could have 30 sugar..he's not heavy and is active.

Anyways let me know and like I said...I know you all are cool and will think of him

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Both my parents have diabetes, but no one in my family has had Juvenile diabetes. Here is what I have found out for you.....

Juvenile Diabetes
Children can be affected by two types of diabetes. The most common form of diabetes that affects children is diabetes mellitus, type I. Often this is referred to as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes. The second type of diabetes is very rare in children, but common in adults. It is termed, diabetes mellitus, type II or non-insulin dependent diabetes.

Type I Diabetes Mellitus
Our body uses sugar (glucose) for energy. Glucose is found in many foods, especially sweets and high-carbohydrate foods (pasta, bread etc.) Without it, we cannot survive. When we ingest glucose, our pancreas (an organ in the abdomen) secretes a chemical, insulin. Insulin is crucial in helping the body to use glucose. In children with type I diabetes, the pancreas stops making insulin, so the body is unable to utilize glucose. As a result, the unused glucose accumulates in the blood and can cause serious complications if not treated.
Type I diabetes affects nearly 2 in every 1,000 school age children. The cause is still not completely understood, although there is some evidence of a genetic predisposition and also a link between some infections that may damage the pancreas. Early signs of the disease usually include frequent urination, excessive hunger and thirst and some weight loss within a month.

Type I diabetes can be treated effectively by taking insulin. Treatment is a balancing act between diet, exercise, blood-glucose levels, and the amount and type of insulin taken. Your doctor plays a crucial role in monitoring your child's health and determining the best treatment options. With proper treatment, most children can live very normal lives with type I diabetes.

God Speed for Evan and your family... :)

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 08:58 PM
thanks suzie...alot....it means alot and great info

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 09:01 PM
You're welcome. You sounded like you just needed a bit of reassurance that he will be ok. No matter what the illness, there is some comfort when you are not left out in the dark and have a bit of answers.

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33

When he got there was got tested and his sugar was 30. Apparently it should be 6 and he was unconcious. They have gotten it down to 24 and Im sure after a few days they should get it under control (god I hope).

Apparently you have your information wrong, or you're making this up...

Normal blood glucose is between 70 and 120...

If it was 30 they would start a dextrose IV to bring it up...

I think you're full of shit...

:elvis:

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:08 PM
man elvis I think your a complete idiot..why the fuck would I make this up...jesus man. anyways im just telling you what i was told by my sister inlaw...man you suck

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, get it right next time...

If it's true I take it back...

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 09:13 PM
man elvis I think your a complete idiot..why the fuck would I make this up...jesus man. anyways im just telling you what i was told by my sister inlaw...man you suck

It could be that his sister is hysterical, and didn't hear the Doctor right. Sometimes when your kid is in a life/death situation, it's hard to think with a clear mind.

ELVIS you would know....you're in the medical field, scorpioboy isn't and just heard this from his sister... A bit hard on this scorpioboy, no?:o

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:19 PM
sorry man this is all new to me...i would never make up shit like this jesus...after talking with my mum its a blood sugar level mmol/l whatever that means...for instance my father and father inlaw need to keep theres between 4 and 7.

after searching the net maybe its a test called a hemoglobin
A1C where the normal level is between 4 and 7....i know that with the 30 he had he could have easily went into a coma...it's down to a 24..so fingers crossed

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Either way, I answered the thread with honesty...

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:20 PM
and just for clarification it's my wifes sisters kids...

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:22 PM
whatever man Elvis.. i really don't give a shit about proving anything or getting sympathy..just trying to get information from people who know so I can understand it better and help my wife figure it out...there is a ton of info out there and trying to narrow it down

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:24 PM
k i just got a pm from a nice person thanks this is what they said

but what it sounds like they're talking about his A1c test, and yeah, it should be 6, that's normal,meaning between 70-120 mg/dl so it sounds like his blood sugar was more like 800.mg/dl

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:24 PM
..and I told you correct glucose values...

You're welcome...

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Either way, I answered the thread with honesty...

Is that called 'tough love'? ;)

Yah you would know more than any of us that has posted on this. I think he is talking about the HGBA1C test. What that is, is it measures the blood sugar level over a period of time. Just glad that they took him to the hospital when they did.

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
k i just got a pm from a nice person thanks this is what they said

but what it sounds like they're talking about his A1c test, and yeah, it should be 6, that's normal,meaning between 70-120 mg/dl so it sounds like his blood sugar was more like 800.mg/dl

That's more like it...

Thank god he didn't go into a coma...

Or is it a she ??

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
..and I told you correct glucose values...

You're welcome...

My mothers went down to like 50 the other day. She didn't think she was going to make it in the house! (She was outside in her garden).

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:28 PM
it's a he...and I think now that his sugar is down to 24 (hopefully lower) he is out of the danger zone...he is still in the ICU . Im just so sad that now he prob. will have a huge life change. thanks for the info folks...im gonna keep reading up on it...

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I wonder does type one become type two later in life...do they share the same problems....

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:29 PM
and sorry bout your mom susie

ELVIS
09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Type one is insulin dependant...

Type two is non-insulin dependant...

Juvenile diabetes is the worst and is type one...

Go here (http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes.jsp) for info...

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks alot Elvis...that should keep me busy reading......thanks for the info to suzie....elvis your a mod so if you wanna get rid of this thread thats cool...i should have enough info on that page to start

lms2
09-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Elvis is the one to go to for the medical information. Type 2 runs in my family, but a close friend and coworker had juvenile diabetes. How old is your nephew? did I miss that part? Major life changes, yes. I am sure with a great supportive family like you and yours, he will do fine, but with my friend, she was diagnosed when she was still really young, but as she got more into her teenage years, suffered terribly from depression, did the suicide attempt thing.

The blood suger itself can be controlled with insulin, and that will mean educating yourselves and your nephew. The health issues that accompany diabetes, and the prospective outcome can take another toll.

And you are right, we will keep you and Evan in our prayers. Its a lot to deal with, but God gives strength when and where it is needed.

:D

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
evan is 9 and thanks alot for your good thoughts

lms2
09-12-2004, 09:55 PM
always. :D

Susie Q
09-12-2004, 10:07 PM
and sorry bout your mom susie

Thats ok scorpioboy. My mom has been dealing with this for a few years now. I just have to watch her like a hawk. Make sure she does what she is supposed to do. Same thing for my Dad. He is not supposed to have certain things, yet he still has them. I live upstairs from them and before I came up here they had a apple donut and cider. FULL of sugar. Then they go take their shot. Like that is gonna help....:rolleyes:

scorpioboy33
09-12-2004, 10:33 PM
that kinda sounds my logic haha

scorpioboy33
09-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Just called the Hospital...it's 4:45 am here anyways...Evan is down from the 30 to a 10...which is where they wanted him to be :)...so fantastic............makes me so happy...thanks for all the help guys

Panamark
09-13-2004, 07:58 AM
scorpioboy, yes its a big life change, but rest assured its manageable.
They got some really cool blood/sugar meters now, they keep track of your previous readings etc. Theres no reason the young fella cant live
a normal life... (Apart from the obvious monitoring and management of the condition) You would be surprised to know that some olympic athletes have diabetes ! Its not a death sentence by any means. Just needs careful monitoring and management.. It can cause problems in
later life, but he is young, and I believe there is much reserach being
done in this field. In another 30 years, theres every chance of
permanent solutions.