PDA

View Full Version : Those Discredited Memos

BigBadBrian
09-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Those Discredited Memos
By WILLIAM SAFIRE

Published: September 13, 2004

ashington — Alert bloggers who knew the difference between the product of old typewriters and new word processors immediately suspected a hoax: the "documents" presented by CBS News suggesting preferential treatment in Lt. George W. Bush's National Guard service have all the earmarks of forgeries.

The copies of copies of copies that formed the basis for the latest charges were supposedly typed by Guard officer Jerry Killian three decades ago and placed in his "personal" file. But it is the default typeface of Microsoft Word, highly unlikely to have been used by that Texas colonel, who died in 1984. His widow says he could hardly type and his son warned CBS that the memos were not real.

Advertisement

When the mainstream press checked the sources mentioned or ignored by "60 Minutes II," the story came apart.

The Los Angeles Times checked with Killian's former commander, the retired Guard general whom a CBS executive had said would be the "trump card" in corroborating its charges. But it turns out CBS had only read Maj. Gen. Bobby Hodges the purported memos on the phone, and did not trouble to show them to him. Hodges now says he was "misled" - he thought the memos were handwritten - and believes the machine-produced "documents" to be forgeries. (CBS accuses the officer of changing his story.)

The L.A. Times also checked out a handwriting analyst, Marcel Matley (of Vincent Foster suicide-note fame), who CBS had claimed vouched for the authenticity of four memos. It turns out he vouches for only one signature, and no scribbled initials, and has no opinion about the typography of any of the supposed memos.

The Dallas Morning News looked into the charge in one of the possible forgeries dated Aug. 18, 1973, that a commander of a Texas Air Guard squadron was trying to "sugar coat" Bush's service record. It found that the commander had retired from the Guard 18 months before that.

The Associated Press focused on the suspicion first voiced by a blogger on the Web site Freerepublic.com about modern "superscripts" that include a raised th after a number. CBS, on the defense, claimed that "some models" of typewriters of the 70's could do that trick, and some Texas Air National Guard documents released by the White House included it.

"That superscript, however," countered The A.P., "is in a different typeface than the one used for the CBS memos." It consulted the document examiner Sandra Ramsey Lines of Paradise Valley, Ariz., and reported "she could testify in court that, beyond a reasonable doubt, her opinion was that the memos were written on a computer."

The Washington Post reported Dan Rather's response to questions about the documents' authenticity: "Until someone shows me definitive proof that they are not, I don't see any reason to carry on a conversation with the professional rumor mill" and questioned the critics' "motivation."

After leading with that response, Post media reporter Howard Kurtz noted that the handwriting expert Matley said that CBS had asked him not to give interviews, and that an unidentified CBS staff member who had examined the documents saw potential problems with them: "There's a lot of sentiment that we should do an internal investigation."

Newsweek (which likes the word "discredited") has apparently begun an external investigation: it names "a disgruntled former Guard officer" as a principal source for CBS, noting "he suffered two nervous breakdowns" and "unsuccessfully sued for medical expenses."

It may be that CBS is the victim of a whopping journalistic hoax, besmearing a president to bring him down. What should a responsible news organization do?

To shut up sources and impugn the motives of serious critics - from opinionated bloggers to straight journalists - demeans the Murrow tradition. Nor is any angry demand that others prove them wrong acceptable, especially when no original documents are available to prove anything.

Years ago, Kurdish friends slipped me amateur film taken of Saddam's poison-gas attack that killed thousands in Halabja. I gave it to Dan Rather, who trusted my word on sources. Despite objections from queasy colleagues, he put it on the air.

Hey, Dan: On this, recognize the preponderance of doubt. Call for a panel of old CBS hands and independent editors to re-examine sources and papers. Courage.

JCOOK
09-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Kenneth what is the frequency?
BWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA!

DLR'sCock
09-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Rather commit suicide?????

Glad to see BBB continuing to show his true colors...

hmmmm

John Ashcroft
09-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, he's already committed journalistic suicide...

wraytw
09-14-2004, 11:22 PM
What are your true colors, Cock? Pink and Purple?

tobinentinc
09-14-2004, 11:24 PM
He's compromised that tiny shred of credibility he had. He should deff resign.

ELVIS
09-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Old school Dan is living in a time when the news was on TV...

He has no idea what the internet is...

I doubt he has a concept of how widespread information is today...

He should resign...

He knew he was dealing in bullshit...

He got caught...

FORD
09-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Uh, Elvis....

What are you doing online anyway?

Aren't you about to get a hurricane right up your ass?

freak
09-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Ten or fifteen years ago, we'd be on Fidonet or RimeNet and these threads would take days. Go back a little earlier and we wouldn't be doing this at all. The only thing we'd hear of the outside world came from the newscasts.

Today? Our posts reach the other side of the world before our fingers move to the keys again.

Putting foolishness like this stuff aside, and doing real work,
one can crunch through research in a fraction of the time one used to. The wealth of the world, information-wise, is literally mouse-clicks away. You want an expert's opinion on something? Hell, most of them have blogs now and will answer questions or brainstorm with you for fun. I've shot off emails to world class experts in the computer sciences field and have more often than not had invaluable assistance from them within a few hours.

Sure, there's the old canard about 'reliable sources' and 'expert opinions'. Your Dan Rathers are playing this card for all it is worth. The truth is that bullshit gets spotted rather quickly out here amongst the great unwashed. Post photographic or scanned text evidence that isn't authentic and it will be spotted almost instantly if it is of any import because a gaggle of true experts will eventually click that link and see it for what it is (or isn't)

Big media and research groups cannot compete with this.

freak
09-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Uh, Elvis....

What are you doing online anyway?

Aren't you about to get a hurricane right up your ass?

Good Lord, that's right. It is headed right that way isn't it?

I wish you luck, for what its' worth.

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Nah...

It's headed for Mobile...

My house is boarded up...

I'm staying put...

:elvis:

FORD
09-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Nah...

It's headed for Mobile...

My house is boarded up...

I'm staying put...

:elvis:

You sure about that? Last radar photo I saw looked like it was gonna hit the Delta before it turned northeast again.http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_bix_closeradar_large_usen.jpg