PDA

View Full Version : Should the USA pull out of Iraq?

manwiththedogs
09-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I really dont see it happening, but would like to hear what everyone else here thinks.

SweetSecrets
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Should the US have pulled out of Japan after only a year followoing WW2???
I am sure they would say "FUCK NO"!!

Helping a country rebuild itself, takes a minute.

SweetSecrets
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
following (sorry..careless spelling)

Mezro
09-14-2004, 05:39 PM
We never should have been in Iraq in the first place.

Mezro...that being said we now must stay until the job is done/mess is mopped up...and let's not forget that our troops need every ounce of support they can get including the best possible body armor available...

manwiththedogs
09-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Mind you, I`m not taking a side here...just looking for opinions.

FORD
09-14-2004, 05:54 PM
send this thread over to the Front Line. I could use a REAL topic over there today.

frenchie
09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
one more attentat today in irak, it's showtime!!!!

manwiththedogs
09-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by FORD
send this thread over to the Front Line. I could use a REAL topic over there today.

I just thought ppl might like a break from talking `bout Fab and Katydid...lol

Dr. Love
09-15-2004, 12:38 AM
After a long time to think about it, I think invading Iraq was a good idea. We've got bases and troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. Iran must be pretty nervous, sitting between that.

Plus, it'll be much easier to control/intimidate the other Arab countries if we have an Army sitting right in the middle of all of them. Great location.

ELVIS
09-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I agree!

Big Train
09-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Which is more or less the real reasons we are there. Fight a war in their house, not ours.

Pulling out of Iraq makes no sense in the immediate future. In a couple of years, once they have regained their bearings, I can see.

Me personally, I feel we should handle terrorists with roving CIA death squads. No talk, all action, no political mess. Find them, kill them. Takes away all the joy of martyism, being buried in a ditch with nobody knowing what you were doing it for. This is the only way for our generation, as it takes at least a generation to get a majority of a populations opinion to change.

Mr Grimsdale
09-15-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
After a long time to think about it, I think invading Iraq was a good idea. We've got bases and troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. Iran must be pretty nervous, sitting between that.

Plus, it'll be much easier to control/intimidate the other Arab countries if we have an Army sitting right in the middle of all of them. Great location.

I agree with the logic and can understand the sentiment, however when is the US going to admit it IS an imperial power and has imperial ambitions?

manwiththedogs
09-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Mark my words, The minute we pull out, Iraq will be taken over by the next crazed dictatior.
The same thing would happen to the Saudi`s without our protection.
Pulling out now would only be seen as another victory for Osama and others like him.

John Ashcroft
09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
I agree with the logic and can understand the sentiment, however when is the US going to admit it IS an imperial power and has imperial ambitions?

If the U.S. had imperial ambitions, you'd be living in a colony. ;)

As far as pulling out of Iraq, crazy. You don't even have to go far back in history to realize that you can't simply pull out of a country you've defeated in a post-haste fashion. Most agree that WW2 could've been prevented had the U.S. and Europe rebuilt Germany on the first go around.

And look at the overwhelming majority of past European colonies. All most all of them have had ruthless civil wars following Europe's withdrawal.

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2004, 08:44 AM
We'll pull out when we're done.

Even Lurch has admitted that he'll be keeping troops in there...for his...OMG this is so funny...first term!....LOL....like THAT's ever going to happen!

Hillary won't allow it!

Mr Grimsdale
09-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
If the U.S. had imperial ambitions, you'd be living in a colony. ;)

We're not far off it with Blair in charge! :)

As far as pulling out of Iraq, crazy. You don't even have to go far back in history to realize that you can't simply pull out of a country you've defeated in a post-haste fashion. Most agree that WW2 could've been prevented had the U.S. and Europe rebuilt Germany on the first go around.

Oh I agree, once you're in there you've got to stay for a significant period.

As for Germany, it didn't need rebuilding the first time around. Germany was OK after WW I, a little bruised but hardly on its knees. The problem was the treaty of Versaille deprived the Germans of any sense of nation state so the likes of you know who could take power. Add that to the fact that many leaders around the world in the 20's and 30's were gutless fops and you have the recipe for WW II.

And look at the overwhelming majority of past European colonies. All most all of them have had ruthless civil wars following Europe's withdrawal.

Exactly. So, what does that suggest about Iraq and Afghanistan in a few years/decades time? The fact is these countries are fundamentally different, culturally and politically, from anything in the West therefore to try and apply Western values is never going to work. They've had hundreds if not thousands of years of doing things their way and they don't take kindly to new 'foreign' ideas being introduced.

What the US is doing is effectively empire building, spreading its influence to control regions that it deems dangerous or, contentious point, economically important. Nothing wrong with that, it's what any country in the US's position has done in the past, it's just amusing that the US is desperately portraying itself as non-imperial.

John Ashcroft
09-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I was really talking about the reparations levied on Germany post WW1, but you get the point.

Anyway, there is a marked difference between how the U.S. follows up and how Europe does. Most people thought the same exact way about Japan after WW2. "They're different over there", and "They have a whole different value structure, they'll never become democratic"

All proven wrong by time and U.S. commitment. And I hardly think Japan consideres itself U.S. territory...

Now European colonies? Sorry, but you all simply "up and leave" when you're done playing Emperor. And that leads to civil war pretty much in every case. And again, if the U.S. were an imperial power, the world would be a much different place. It's our freedom that's unique in the world, and we spread it. It's entirely different than conquering the world.

Mr Grimsdale
09-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Anyway, there is a marked difference between how the U.S. follows up and how Europe does. Most people thought the same exact way about Japan after WW2. "They're different over there", and "They have a whole different value structure, they'll never become democratic"

The difference being that Japan was well and truly beaten, it's major cities were flattened. Iraq on the other hand is pretty much unscathed so it's population don't exactly feel the need to accept someone elses hand of friendship.

All proven wrong by time and U.S. commitment. And I hardly think Japan consideres itself U.S. territory...

As with most things that depends on which Japanese people you talk to.

Now European colonies? Sorry, but you all simply "up and leave" when you're done playing Emperor. And that leads to civil war pretty much in every case. And again, if the U.S. were an imperial power, the world would be a much different place. It's our freedom that's unique in the world, and we spread it. It's entirely different than conquering the world.

We upped and left because after 2 World Wars there wasn't any cash left to maintain empires and our arms were being twisted by the new kid on the block (any ideas who?) to give up the territories because they deserved their 'freedom'. So as a result Britain, France etc bail out of most of Africa and Asia and the whole place goes to pot. The only saving grace was the Soviet Union which at least kept a lid on the problems thanks to the Cold War.

Anyway how is 'your freedom' any different to someone in the UK, Japan or god forbid France? At the end of the day we all get up in the morning, have breakfast, go to work, have lunch, go home, have a meal, go to bed and vote every few years for a load of politicians that usually screw up after a honeymoon period. Doesn't seem there's anything unique in that.

Mr Grimsdale
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Another thing about the Japanese example is that they were pretty westernised before WW II, at least in the case of the day to day lives of ordinary Japanese. I'm not sure of the history of Japanese government so if you can tell me how Tojo got to power that would be helpful. Who came before him?

John Ashcroft
09-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
Anyway how is 'your freedom' any different to someone in the UK, Japan or god forbid France? At the end of the day we all get up in the morning, have breakfast, go to work, have lunch, go home, have a meal, go to bed and vote every few years for a load of politicians that usually screw up after a honeymoon period. Doesn't seem there's anything unique in that. [/B]

What's your income tax rate? How's about VAT? How's about sales tax?

This is a large part of the "freedom" I'm referring to... Freedom from government intervention and taxation without representation (although unfortunately these freedoms are being erroded year after year here too).

Mr Grimsdale
09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
What's your income tax rate? How's about VAT? How's about sales tax?

This is a large part of the "freedom" I'm referring to... Freedom from government intervention and taxation without representation (although unfortunately these freedoms are being erroded year after year here too).

Fair enough point. Fuel prices in particular spring to mind.

Well if those freedoms are being eroded I reckon you'll have about another 200 years and then you'll be as messed up as us!

Look at it this way, at least you won't be around to see it. ;)

John Ashcroft
09-16-2004, 04:06 PM
You never know... After all, I'm John Ashcroft, the great Satan himself! :D

Mr Grimsdale
09-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Nah, you can't be that bad. As soon as I see Oklahoma I can't help but think of Howard Keel.