PDA

View Full Version : Bush speaks about the documents.

freak
09-18-2004, 05:03 PM
KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) questioned the authenticity of documents aired by CBS News that said he received special treatment during his Vietnam-era service in the National Guard, according to a Bush interview published on Saturday.

"There are a lot of questions about the documents and they need to be answered," Bush told the Union Leader newspaper of Manchester, New Hampshire, after a week in which some experts questioned whether the documents had been fabricated by those seeking to damage Bush in his re-election race.

"I think what needs to happen is people need to take a look at the documents, how they were created, and let the truth come out," Bush added.

CBS' "6O Minutes II" aired a Dan Rather report this month citing four memos purported to be from Bush's former Texas Air National Guard squadron commander, the late Air National Guard Lt. Col. Jerry Killian.

The documents said Killian was under pressure to "sugar coat" Bush's service record after Bush, then a Guard pilot, was grounded for his failure to perform to standards or to take a physical.

CBS News president Andrew Heyward said the network was satisfied that the documents were accurate but said he recognized the public had doubts about them. Rather said he believed they were legitimate but echoed Hayward's pledge to answer critics.

Various news organizations have suggested Bill Burkett, a former Texas National Guard officer, might have been the source for the documents.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that Burkett unsuccessfully offered information and advice to help the campaign of Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites).

Burkett complained in an e-mail newsletter he had difficulty getting through to the people who mattered at the Kerry campaign because he had to "get through seven layers of bureaucratic kids trying to get a job after the election."

ELVIS
09-18-2004, 07:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/daily/graphics/guard_091404.gif

:elvis:

freak
09-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I wonder if the next document CBS produces will be done in crayon.

Warham
09-18-2004, 08:22 PM
The one on the right is the forgery and I didn't even look first to see if it was the CBS document. The one on the left has that old 70's typewriter look to it.

freak
09-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Warham
The one on the right is the forgery and I didn't even look first to see if it was the CBS document. The one on the left has that old 70's typewriter look to it.

Meanwhile, liberal bloggers from around the world congest the internet with frantic traffic to google.

Top search of the day?

Rare 1970s typewriter with proportional spacing and subscripts PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!!!