PDA

View Full Version : "Diamond Dave" sales

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 02:36 PM
David Lee Roth "Diamond Dave" 10,470 units sold as of September 2003.

Does anybody have a more updated # of units sold?

Also, why wasn't this album released under the wawazat!! label? Or was DLR Band the only album that will ever have that name on it?

DLR Band moved about 125,000, and this album hasn't done 1/10 of that. I'm sure Dave recognizes this and will hopefully put a rocker out for his next album.

DLR7884
This Vegas rumor scares me, he's gonna become a punchline all over again!:rolleyes:

Lou
01-25-2004, 03:51 PM
http://www.metal-sludge.com/SludgeScansDecember2003.htm

As of December 1, 2003 it was up to a whopping 12,196, roughly 1,700 more sales than 2½ months prior. Now in its first month, according to this site, it sold 6,824. So it hadn't even sold as much from August-December as it did in all of July. It was not included in the most recent Sludge Scan of January 13, 2004, BTW.

Back in July 2003 I told everyone at Vaughn's site that the album would come nowhere near 50,000 copies sold within the first year of release, that it would "struggle" to get to even 25,000, and that as of July 18, 2003 (10 days after release) it likely hadn't sold 10,000 copies. Obviously I was right on all three of those, in fact it took until fucking September to finally move 10,000 copies.

If you do the math it should be obvious that the rate of sales is steadily decreasing. Essentially everyone who was gonna buy it has bought it by now. Not only will it obviously not sell 25,000 copies by July 8, 2004, but I'm pretty convinced it won't sell 25,000 copies PERIOD before it gets discontinued like ALAE and YFLM (superior albums to this joke of an album BTW).

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Lou, I completely agree with everything you just said. I'll bet you over half of the people who own that album are people who at one point or another have posted to this website in the past 4 years.

I waited until September to buy the album after I read the shitty write up it got in Entertainment Weekly.

I actually wish the album wasn't an official release, that's the type of shit Dave should release to his website, and only his website. Only his real fans would actually get, or try to get what the hell he was doing.

DLR7884
I think I'm gonna go to RIAA and pull up all of his album sales, because I think we can see a trend with his solo albums.

Lou
01-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah and the truly sad thing is if he does release a rocker who the hell will care but us? I'd love another rocker, but even if it were great I doubt it'd do much better than Diamond Dave.

And yes there is definitely a trend going on...no one really cares about DLR solo anymore. I suppose you could make the argument that Diamond Dave was thus destined to sell less copies than DLR Band, and that's probably true. But Dave, throwing together a hodgepodge of covers with no direction or identity to it, unable to secure anything but some obscure shit label, exacerbated the decline. He also waited too long with it. If that were me I would have released that fucking thing IMMEDIATELY after the Dave/Sam tour while mild interest was drummed up again in David Lee Roth. By waiting, people already forgot about him again like they did in the '90s, before and after the VH fiasco.

Bad moves Dave :( Now if you ever put out another solid rocker no one's gonna care.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Except us.

DLR7884
Honestly, Dave could tape himself farting into a mike and half the people on these boards would buy it.

flappo
01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
..so that's at least 50 sales for the next album sorted then !

Chris Lee
01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Really Dave farted in a mike? How much? Oh I get it...Damn I was kinda hoping for some new material.
When are his album sales gonna be posted, Does anyone know? Personaly, I think even Dave thought he'd be back in VH by now, and Diamond Dave on Magna Carta was just a filler or hobby in the meantime. But now it looks like he will need to pull up the socks on the next album, publicise himself big time to drum up the sales ans put out a good tour. Does anyone know how well he is received in Japan or UK? Like here he is doing Vegas clubs and bars (and thats cool with me) but it must be a downer not filling areans anymore.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Doing Vegas won't do much for DLR's image.

He will be mocked for it like he was before.

DLR7884
I hope he isn't really gonna do it again!

TMR
01-25-2004, 05:05 PM
It really doesn't matter on how many units he's selling, he's making money off the tour and having a great time.

I think this Diamond Dave record is great, of course I would like a killer rocker cd with songs like THUG POP...

Maybe the next cd will have a killer song list, when Dave made CFTH back in 1985 and I heard Coconut Grove I thought wow, he's changing his style then the next year EEAS was released!!

At least our favorite rocker is on tour!

Elitest
01-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Except us.

DLR7884
Honestly, Dave could tape himself farting into a mike and half the people on these boards would buy it.

:bananna: :argh: :monekyr: :yankeeros

Chris Lee
01-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Yeah but you know, Dave is a hard rock n roll worker who plays just as hard and all he gets is flack from the industry that should be adoring him and setting the trend for frontmen for years to come. Id really like to see Dave play the fuck out of Vegas and set the music industry on its ass one more time. Make the VH boys look like fucking idiots for not taking him back! (again) Fairy Cherone and Spammy Fagar were mistakes as far as good rock n roll is concerned-
But it looks like its going to be the opposite. He might be the butt end of everyones jokes again when Van Hagar annouce their reunion and all Dave is doing is "Bop-Shoo-Bopping" with Celine Dion and Wayne Newton. Just a shame. I'll love ya Dave no matter what! Fuck the critics.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I doubt that Dave doing Vegas will have any impact on people's idea of him fronting Van Halen.

I don't think it will make the Van Halen's look like idiots either.

DLR7884
Here's hoping Dave avoids Vegas.

Hoongood
01-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I bought this CD the week it came out, and I tried to like it. I really tried. But no amount of love for Dave could make this album any good.
"That Beatles Tune" absolutely has to be the worst thing ever put on record by anyone associated with VH!
Hagar makes better music than this!
Ouch! That hurts!

There are a few tracks on the CD that are not bad in a YFLM sort of way, but overall, a huge disapointment.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 08:55 PM
It's a piece of shit.

DLR7884
In a VH3 sort of way.

lesfunk
01-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Hoongood

no he doesn't

rustoffa
01-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I bought this CD the week it came out, and I tried to like it. I really tried. But no amount of love for Dave could make this album any good.
"That Beatles Tune" absolutely has to be the worst thing ever put on record by anyone associated with VH!
Ouch! That hurts!

There are a few tracks on the CD that are not bad in a YFLM sort of way, but overall, a huge disapointment.
http://thispageintentionallyleftblank.net/images/misl/shut_the_fuck_up.jpg

Sarge
01-26-2004, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't say that Hagar makes bettter music than anything Dave has ever done.

It's like speedballs to milkshakes..
Like Moonshine to CHEESE!

flappo
01-26-2004, 04:17 AM
..yeah dd may have sucked rancid cheese covered donkey dicks , but cuntpared to mind numbing dross filled garbage like three lock box , voa and that utterly abysmal standing hampton it's a fakkin masterwork

Terry
01-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Diamond Dave wasn't the best stuff I've ever heard from Dave, but hard to imagine it selling so poorly.

Had asked the clerk at my local Sam Goody if they were going to sell it about a month before it was due to be released. She said yes, but that I oughta reserve a copy in advance, since they would only be stocking 4 copies.

Don't get me wrong. I dig the CD, but when I read that 12,000 + sales figure I had to laugh.

I don't think that guy's gonna ever see platinum again unless Halen releases some old live stuff on a DVD. Am beginning to doubt that even a new studio album of reunited classic Van Halen would break a million.

DLR7884
01-26-2004, 10:49 PM
A new VH album with Dave would do a million easy. Especially if it sounded like MWM and CGTSNM.

DLR7884
You bet your ass it would!

TMR
01-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Nice to see you here!
I don't think the record is that bad, i've been listening to it everyday. At least it's now When it's love or why con't this be love or I can stop loving you....etc

Ouch! That hurts!

azcrdnal
01-26-2004, 11:33 PM
It's a piece of shit.

DLR7884
In a VH3 sort of way. i agree 100% it is shit

Dave IS VH
01-27-2004, 12:56 AM
I didn't think Dave's new album wasn't all that bad. If you are expecting classic Van Halen era forget about it. It is great in a unqie way.

Dave IS VH
01-27-2004, 01:32 AM
A Van Halen reunion with Dave would be so big. A new album with Dave back in VH would do very well. The venus would sell out with in minutes of ticket onsales. The VH brothers are too fucked up to relise that.

Bob_R
01-27-2004, 09:14 AM
It's a piece of shit.

Originally posted by azcrdnal
i agree 100% it is shit

Me three

Terry
01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH
A Van Halen reunion with Dave would be so big. A new album with Dave back in VH would do very well. The venus would sell out with in minutes of ticket onsales. The VH brothers are too fucked up to relise that.

In 1996, couldn't have agreed with you more.

If they reunited now, I could see them moving concert tickets big-time, but am not so sure about a reunion album doing all that well.

Just because Van Halen's last full-length album with Roth, 1984, has sold 10 million + doesn't mean all ten million in sales were hard-core Van Halen fans. Would bet a certain percentage of those CD sales were fans upgrading their vinyl and cassettes to CDs (would be interesting to see what the breakdown is of 1984 sales in format terms). And I'm sure a lot of people bought it just because it had Jump on it.

Look at what Van Halen 3 sold. Look at what Diamond Dave sold. Unless Dave lit a fire under Ed and Al's asses to come up with music suitable for something other than an elevator ride, a reunited classic Halen album would only have so many blind sales (people getting it without hearing it first). And unless the music was shit hot, the casual fan wouldn't shell out the money for it.

Look at the Page and Plant 1994 album - not Led Zep, but almost as close as you were gonna get considering Jones and Jason Bonham weren't there, and that album sold like shit but the concerts were standing room only.

flappo
01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
..standing by the exit

roger2004
01-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Dave should stick to writing books!!

More Crap albums like this are hard to take for fans give us a new book at least he's good at that!

Roger

Cathedral
01-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Dave is Dave, I won't buy his latest release because the reviews are terrible and i am no sheep that i follow anything or anyone blindly.

Dave, if you want my cash you need to put out something that really cooks...

Oh, and Fuck Van Halen......Dave is to good to reunite with those brain fucked asswipes.......

vamp1227
01-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Except us.

DLR7884

I would...LOL

Except us.

DLR7884

knuckleboner
01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
diamond dave is only bad if you're expecting hard rock.

it's much more "just a gigalo" than it's "yankee rose."

yeah, van halen with dave is my favorite band, and i love that kind of music. but i've got other musical tastes as well. i don't like them quite as much. but a little variety now and then is a good thing.

Lou
01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I guess. I know this is cynical, but I really believe "Diamond Dave" was the result of not having any new material to put out. I think DLR felt he had to get out something, and with no new material, had to resort to a cover album. I can't imagine why, if he had new material, not one new song would appear on the album. No "Thug Pop" does not count as it is a DLR Band left over, 5 years old, and NOT EVEN RECORDED WITH THE CURRENT BAND. Nor do "Medicine Man" and "Act One" count as legit songs.

knuckleboner
01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
yeah, i kinda agree there, lou.

i don't mind dave covering tunes he likes, just because he usually puts such a good take on them.

but i would've rather they be spread out with a few more originals.

though, most of dave's none-hard-rock tunes have been covers.

who knows. but i'm looking forward to a DLRBand style disc next time...

ALinChainz
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
It always comes back to, "Well, it is Dave, so I'll take it."

As long as I like it, the rest means nothing. Maybe it will serve as a buffer until Dave gets some new original material together. But I agree with knuckleboner, Dave usually covers a song in a way that we can like.

Figs
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
You know, that is one of the best posts I have ever read!

Roth on brother!!

who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
You know, that is one of the best posts I have ever read!

Roth on brother!!

who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?
who is sammy hagar?

David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million

Bill Lumbergh
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I guess. I know this is cynical, but I really believe "Diamond Dave" was the result of not having any new material to put out. I think DLR felt he had to get out something, and with no new material, had to resort to a cover album. I can't imagine why, if he had new material, not one new song would appear on the album. No "Thug Pop" does not count as it is a DLR Band left over, 5 years old, and NOT EVEN RECORDED WITH THE CURRENT BAND. Nor do "Medicine Man" and "Act One" count as legit songs.

I know I'm a year and a half late, but............CUNT!

katie
07-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I would really love to see Dave back with VH.
Say they got their shit together and put out a new album,
For it to sell 1 million units it would have to be on a major label and it would have to have the right distribution and Radio pluggers on board.

It is rumored that VH have lost their record deal with Spam and i belive no majors will touch them unless it is the CVH line up.

I reckon it would be a sure fire winner.
Judas Priest have shown other bands the way.
You can with a major get a hit album again.

VH members are now the other side of 50 years in age...
The death clock is ticking..........

Get the reunion going NOW!

azcrdnal
07-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TMR
It really doesn't matter on how many units he's selling, he's making money off the tour and having a great time.

I think this Diamond Dave record is great, of course I would like a killer rocker cd with songs like THUG POP...

Maybe the next cd will have a killer song list, when Dave made CFTH back in 1985 and I heard Coconut Grove I thought wow, he's changing his style then the next year EEAS was released!!

At least our favorite rocker is on tour! tmr shit where have you been?

Polk High
07-14-2005, 07:12 AM
so what are the sales of this album now?

DavidLeeNatra
07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Polk High
so what are the sales of this album now?

who cares...you could increase it by buying one...

Polk High
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I already got one, thats probably 3% of the sales

VonHalen
07-14-2005, 04:09 PM
its a shame, all these other artists are putting out cover tunes and they are selling, Mcdonald, Stewart etc, Now i hear Def Leppard is putting out one, This must be "The Cover Tune Decade"

VonHalen
07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Ozzy has one too, also one coming out sepeartely in the fall