PDA

View Full Version : Host Says Rather Criticism Got Him Fired

BigBadBrian
09-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Host Says Rather Criticism Got Him Fired

PEGGY ANDERSEN

Associated Press

SEATTLE - A radio talk-show host said Saturday he has been fired for criticizing CBS newsman Dan Rather's handling of challenges to the authenticity of memos about President Bush's National Guard service.

"On the talk show that I host, or hosted, I said I felt Rather should either retire or be forced out over this," said Brian Maloney, whose weekly "The Brian Maloney Show" aired for three years on KIRO-AM Radio, a CBS affiliate here.

Maloney says he made that statement on his Sept. 12 program. He was fired Friday, he said.

"What they have expressed is essentially that my show went in a direction they're not comfortable with," Maloney said.

KIRO Radio's general manager, Ken Berry, did not return a call seeking comment. A staff member at the station said Berry would not comment because it is a personnel matter.

Rather cited the memos, purportedly written by Bush's late squadron commander, in a Sept. 8 "60 Minutes II" segment. The memos indicated the commander was pressured to "sugar coat" Bush's performance and that Bush ignored an order to take a physical.

Several document experts have said the memos look suspiciously like they were written on a computer, not a 1970s-era typewriter. Rather said Sept. 10 that there was no definitive evidence of forgery.

On Wednesday, the network said it would work harder to address concerns about the memos.

Maloney said he had felt free to comment on the controversy and on Rather.

"I really felt he was taking the network's credibility down with him," Maloney said in a telephone interview.

"Talk-show hosts have generally had a lot of independence in these kinds of issues," he said. "Nobody's ever said, 'You can't criticize CBS News.'"

KIRO Radio is affiliated with CBS but owned by Entercom, a national radio broadcasting company based in Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Hmmm...

FORD
09-19-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm sure that KKKVI or the other hate radio station will give him a job :rolleyes:

diamondD
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Where's the outrage over the right of free speech??

But if FOX had done the same...:rolleyes:

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Hate radio ??

FORD
09-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Where's the outrage over the right of free speech??

But if FOX had done the same...:rolleyes:

How about when Fear Channel dumped Howard Stern after he criticized the BCE?

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 06:48 PM
That's not why they dumped him...

FORD
09-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's not why they dumped him...

The timing was just a coincidence then? Howard certainly doesn't think so.

Stern is hardly a liberal. Fear Channel probably picked up his show in the first place because they assumed his right leaning rants would be a natural Bush endorsement. When he made it clear that he had no use for Junior, they turned on him.

Warham
09-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Perhaps the reason they dumped Stern is more likely that he's boring.

diamondD
09-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FORD
How about when Fear Channel dumped Howard Stern after he criticized the BCE?

How about the free speech? Don't twist Howard Stern into this with an ICE THEORY.

John Ashcroft
09-19-2004, 07:41 PM
This is simply how Liberals debate.

Oh well, at least they still don't recognize the backlash shit like this is causing. Maybe when Republicans have super-majorities in both Houses it'll finally sink in.

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I doubt it...