PDA

View Full Version : Sept. 11: Why Was US Attacked?

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Amir Taheri (http://www.arabnews.com/9-11/?article=34&part=2)

http://www.arabnews.com/9-11/images/New_York_%206.jpg

“I shall never forget as long as I live! “ This was the phrase that I heard most often when I visited New York shortly after the Sept. 11 2001 attacks that brought down the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

It came from old ladies who could hardly contain their tears as they looked upon the still fuming debris of Ground Zero. And it came from young joggers who said they stopped every day to offer a prayer for the dead. Mayor Rudi Guiliani asserted it, as did hotel receptionists, taxi drivers, and the editors of the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and New York Post.

How could anyone forget such an event? There are moments in history that, no matter how deeply buried under the avalanche of years, retain a place in common memory.

But memory is a trickster. The issue is not that we remember an event. Our memories are reshaped by narratives through which they are expressed. What matters is how an event is remembered.

Initially, the Sept. 11 attack provoked disbelief among Americans. This had been a bolt, or rather two bolts, out of the blue. Like other events that we cannot easily gauge and store-up in our mental archives, this had no ready explanation. To ask why it had happened was almost as irrelevant as to ask why there are earthquakes, plagues, hurricanes and, indeed, death itself.

A few days later, by the time President George W. Bush came to visit Ground Zero, disbelief had given birth to anger. This was raw, sizzling anger of the kind that, had the United States not been a mature democracy, would have translated into lynch mobs and indiscriminate attacks on nations and groups blamed for the tragedy.

Because there is always something good even in the worst of events, the Sept. 11 attacks gave the Americans a sense of national unity that they had not experienced for generations. For decades the Americans had felt that their nation was strong and rich enough not to need the drumbeat of unity to face adversity.

Three years later, almost all Americans would still insist that they remember Sept. 11. But the question is: What is it that they remember?

Broadly speaking, three versions of Sept. 11 have entered the American psyche.

The first and the most common version is that of an unprovoked attack by a group of fanatics who just hate the America for what it is.

The second version is that of an attack carried out by individuals expressing grievances that, at some point and in some form, need to be addressed. In this version the US was attacked not for what it is but for what it does.

The third version, based on conspiracy theories and peddled by charlatans like Michael Moore, would not have merited mention had it not been for the disturbing fact that so many Americans seem to believe it. Nevertheless, let us ignore this version because it could only lead us into a maze of lies and affabulations.

So, what about the first and second versions?

Is America attacked for what it is or for what it does?

President Bush, and most other Republicans, favor the first version. In his speech in New York last week, accepting the presidential nomination, George W. Bush described the United States as “the hope of the oppressed, the greatest force for good on earth”, and implied that those who attacked it represented universal evil.

Those who favor this version point to the freedom the Americans enjoy, the openness of their society, the tolerance that the US has for all beliefs and life styles, and, of course, American wealth and scientific progress that is supposed to arouse the jealousy of “the forces of evil”.

Others, like Ms. Nancy Pelosi, the Democrat Party’s leader in the House of Representatives, and others of her camp, uphold the second version: The US is attacked for what it does. At one point Ms. Pelosi even compared Osama Bin Laden, the leader of the Al-Qaeda terrorist group, to the American “Founding Fathers” who had, according to her, also been “religious zealots.”

Those who favor this version come up with their list of real or imagined “wrongs” that the US has done: Supporting Israel against the Arabs, refusing to join the Kyoto environmental accords, backing dictators of the right, such as Anastasio Somosa while knocking dictators of the left such as Fidel Castro, and, digging deep into history, the mass murder of native Americans and the oppression of black slaves and their descendants.

The final report of the Congressional committee set up by Bush to examine the causes of the Sept. 11tragedy, tries to reflect both versions. As a result, the report is based on faulty analysis and offers a defensive strategy that, if implemented, could make the US more vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

But what if the two versions are really one? Is it not possible to say that the United States does what it does because it is what it is?

Over 2000 years ago Aristotle taught that character is action. In other words: You are what you do, and do not.

So, what is the United States?

The simplest answer is this: It is the only global power in the sense that what it does or does not has a direct major effect on most aspects of international life. The US is the world’s biggest market. A small recession in the US economy could wipe out millions of jobs in more than 100 countries. At the same time the US is the only country with the military and political clout to tip the balance in most issues. It is thus no surprise that the US is involved in all the 66 active or semi-active crises in the world, often as guarantor of fragile peace deals.

Needless to say everyone would like to deploy American power in his own favor. Some see the US as an 800-pound gorilla that is useful for heavy lifting but becomes suspect if it manifests a judgment of its own.

Some Arabs are sore because the US would not let them march in and wipe Israel off the map. Some Israelis are sore because the US is not prepared to back the mass expulsion of Palestinians from the West Bank.

The Indians resent that the US would not allow them to teach Pakistan a lesson. The Pakistanis are sore because the does not sell them the weapons that could tip the military balance against India.

The mullas of Tehran hate the US because it would not let them create a Khomeinist mini-empire in the region.

Nostalgics of the Shah hate the US because it refuses to march on Tehran to topple the mullas. Slobodan Milosevic and other Serbian mass murders now in jail or in hiding know that without US intervention no one could have stopped the genocides that they had organized.

In Afghanistan, the Taleban, and the drug barons and fanatical mullas who prospered under them, know that had it not been for US intervention they would still be in power in Kabul. The Baathist know that had the US not marched on Baghdad, Saddam Hussein would still be ruling from one of his palaces rather than doing the crosswords in his jail cell.

The logical conclusion of the theory that America is attacked because of what it does is to hand over American policy to its enemies and critics.

And, if Sept. 11 teaches the Americans one lesson it must be precisely not to allow that to happen.

Arab News

:elvis:

John Ashcroft
09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Fuckin' A!

Not to mention, most scientific and medical advances eminate from the good old U.S. of fucking A! Not to mention charity. Before the "non-U.S. citizen" chimes in, simply ask yourself "how much does my country give?" I promise you it ain't as much as the U.S.

Not even near.

FORD
09-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Of course it should be mentioned that the "Arab News" is a propaganda rag of the Saudi government's public relations division and that they have a vested interest in perpetuating the BCE "official story" in hopes of keeping suspicion off themselves.

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Yeah right...:rolleyes:

John Ashcroft
09-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Good news for America = Bad News for Liberals.

Ford's response illustrates this precisely.

FORD
09-19-2004, 10:35 PM
http://www.arab.net/sprc/sprc_pix/sprc_logo.gif
Here's their publisher's logo.

Saudi Public Relations Comapny.

What else do you suppose that could mean other than "guys who try to make the Saudi Royal Family look good"

freak
09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Of course it should be mentioned that the "Arab News" is a propaganda rag of the Saudi government's public relations division and that they have a vested interest in perpetuating the BCE "official story" in hopes of keeping suspicion off themselves.

You need new material Ford.
You're far too predictable.

In fact, I think I may simply write a PERL script and replace you.

It'd save on oxygen and could be SIGTERM'd when it got too annoying.

FORD
09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Fine, you guys want to believe the fucking propaganda from the Saudi murderers, knock yourselves out.

DrMaddVibe
09-20-2004, 08:52 AM
No, it's just that we can't believe what YOU (FORD) say about ANYTHING!

FORD
09-20-2004, 09:21 AM
At least I don't change my name every time my agenda is exposed.

Sgt Schultz
09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Fine, you guys want to believe the fucking propaganda from the Saudi murderers, knock yourselves out.

So all the Iraqi bloggers who support the U.S. liberation are probably paid CIA agents too?

Iraq the Model (http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/)

ODShowtime
09-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Here's another opinion piece from the same website:

http://www.arabview.com/articles.asp?article=456

Danger of Israeli Presence in Iraq

Hassan Tahsin
Guest Contributor

"In the 1940s, the British forces in Palestine made it easy for Zionist gangs to occupy Palestine. This resulted in the establishment of the racist Israeli state which evicted thousands of Palestinians from their land and turned them into refugees.

History, we must fear, is repeating itself. Iraq is in danger of the same thing happening there.

What we wonder is whether the coalition forces which invaded Iraq for no reason have opened the door to Jewish immigration into Iraq. Are they attempting to create a Jewish state in northern Iraq which is an area rich in natural resources? Is this the fulfillment of the Zionist dream to create a Jewish state from the Nile to the Euphrates? This all comes on the heels of the Israeli decision to force the remaining Palestinians off their land so as never to establish a Palestinian state and to defy all peace initiatives.

Those follow what is happening in Iraq will see that Israel has a hand in the country. Mossad, its secret service, has many operation centers both in Baghdad and in other major cities in Iraq; their job is to organize terrorist activities to guarantee that Iraq remains unstable. Mossad officials also supervise the torture of Iraqi prisoners since they gained so much experience torturing their Palestinian prisoners.

This information comes not from Arab sources but from American ones backed up by documents. An Israeli presence in Iraq is unjustified. Israel worked hard to escalate problems between Iraq and America. The main target was not to get rid of Saddam. The coalition forces could have finished Saddam off if they had wanted to after the war to liberate Kuwait. They did not, however, choosing to keep Saddam in power and use him as an excuse to stay in the region. The principal reason for the latest invasion of Iraq was to destroy the army and divide the country into a number of small states. This tragic situation is a veritable invitation to Israel to come in and use it to achieve their own dreams.

Because invading Iraq was primarily beneficial to Israel, the Jewish state played an important role by maintaining a presence in the decision-making institutions of the West, particularly the United States, until the invasion. Seymour Hersh in an article in The New York Times on 21 June wrote: There is a heavy Israeli presence in Kurdistan which aims to build a strong regional Kurdish military able to balance the growing Iranian influence in Iraq and also to balance the Sunni Baath militia in the country. The Kurds will also be used to carry out operations in Syria and Iran in order to destabilize the situation further. This is all part of preparations to establish an independent Kurdish state including all the Kurds in Iraq, Iran, Syria and Turkey.

Once this has happened, the way for Israeli control of Iraq will be clear; the Israelis will be ready to make war and call it the “Second Liberation War” — with the first being the war they waged as they took over Palestinian land. Israeli penetration in Iraq should raise a warning of the tragedy of Palestine being repeated; this would be unacceptable for all. It is a threat to international peace and raises the level of danger considerably. Israel itself is the real threat to international peace."

This same publication lets wackos like this spout about Israel gearing up for the next big Iraqi invasion! Definitely a balanced, reliable news outlet.

Big Train
09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Posted by Ford:

Naw, Ford/Satan/Jesus....NEVER!!!!

DrMaddVibe
09-21-2004, 09:04 AM

What are you implying?

Do you have proof?

If so, please share with everyone the source and the aliases that I'm supposedly using.

If not...STFU with the paranoia. I don't need other aliases to do my "talking". My one voice is loud enough for me. If others agree or disagree then that is the price I pay for speaking my unadulterated mind.

It seems that every thread is laced with the paranoia of multiple aliases. Is this something you personally are active in and believe others participate in as well?

ELVIS
09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
It seems that every thread is laced with the paranoia of multiple aliases. Is this something you personally are active in and believe others participate in as well?

You have just pegged FORD!

FORD
09-21-2004, 11:08 PM
IP addy's don't lie. But Florida Republicans..... well we all remember that story.

freak
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
IP addy's don't lie. But Florida Republicans..... well we all remember that story.

Oh, you mean the one where trial lawyers tried to elect Al Gore?

I love that story!

Please tell us that one, Uncle Ford!

DrMaddVibe
09-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Are you going to answer the question or keep tapdancing?

DrMaddVibe
09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Is today a good day to answer the fucking questions FORD?

FORD
09-24-2004, 09:52 AM
GO BACK TO RIM JOB'S VIRTUAL TRAILER PARK AND SUCK BUSH'S DICK OVER THERE YOU FUCKING COWARD.

ELVIS
09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Now now FORD...

That hardly sounds like you're living by the teachings of Jesus...

DrMaddVibe
09-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Coward?

C'mon even YOU can do better than that!

Don't know 'bout the other things, but if you show me how it's done I might be able to do it better than you. I doubt that anyone could though.

So does that mean you won't be answering the questions today too?

DrMaddVibe
09-27-2004, 05:10 PM
So...how's today looking FORD?

How's bout those questions?

You can answer them...can't you?

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2004, 10:42 AM
So it's safe to say you were talking out of your ass when you made assumptions of me having multiple id and all that other shit and that you really don't have a clue as to what you say, you just blurt out whatever and expect people to swallow them as fact...just like your "politics"...they're shit and unbelievable!

FORD...you're a fraud, a sham, a liar and a charlatan.

If you can't back up anything with substantial fact then don't open your fucking piehole or type it!

FOAD!

FORD
09-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Fuck off, you Bush blowing pussy. I hope the next hurricane blows right up your ass and sends you straight home to Hell where all of your fascist kind belong.

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2004, 10:55 AM
C'mon tough puss! Answer the questions then you big dumbass!

DrMaddVibe
09-29-2004, 07:09 AM
So...what about today?

FORD, for having a big mouth and a desire to be heard you sure are quiet on this one!

C'mon and make up some more cuss words or names to disguise the fact that you can't answer the claims you put on me.

An honest person would.

Angel
09-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Fuckin' A!

Not to mention, most scientific and medical advances eminate from the good old U.S. of fucking A! Not to mention charity. Before the "non-U.S. citizen" chimes in, simply ask yourself "how much does my country give?" I promise you it ain't as much as the U.S.

Not even near.

Of course not, we take care of our own first, and our population is a 10th of yours...

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
!

DrMaddVibe
09-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey look!^^^It's the flag of the 52nd state of the Union!

DrMaddVibe
09-30-2004, 12:24 PM
So...FORD cocknozzle...how's today looking on answering the claims?

Angel
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Hey look!^^^It's the flag of the 52nd state of the Union!

Nice try! Just remember, we're bigger - and we're on top...

If we were in prison, you'd be our BITCH! ;)

BigBadBrian
09-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Angel

If we were in prison, you'd be our BITCH! ;)

That may be, but we're not in prison, so ANGEL can be the bitch for all of us. Bend over, baby. :D

Angel
09-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
That may be, but we're not in prison, so ANGEL can be the bitch for all of us. Bend over, baby. :D

Keep on dreamin', sweetheart! ;) :D

John Ashcroft
09-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Of course not, we take care of our own first, and our population is a 10th of yours...

Are you implying that your charity is at least 1/10th of ours?

DrMaddVibe
10-01-2004, 07:34 AM
So...how's bout today LIAR! Ford is a LIAR for implying things about me and when confronted...refuses to fess up.

C'mon LIAR! Answer the questions!

ODShowtime
10-01-2004, 10:01 AM
So...how's bout today LIAR! Ford is a LIAR for implying things about me and when confronted...refuses to fess up.

C'mon LIAR! Answer the questions!

I'm totally putting that in my sig...

FORD
10-01-2004, 10:19 AM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=233469
Does this mean Junior himself is voting for Kerry?

YEAHIMROTH!
10-01-2004, 10:36 AM
george bush is shite period. " shite " somes him up perfectly. 9/11 happend because he is shite. and if he gets into office again , there will be another war to counteract his terrible policies at home , simple as that he is a president that relies on fear to keep him in power " if u vote for kerry there will be another attack" is what he is saying so does that mean bush will be in charge of america for ever? the only sheep are the fuckin republicans who r so blind by there own stupidity for not seeing right through him

FORD
10-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by YEAHIMROTH!
george bush is shite period. the only sheep are the fuckin republicans who r so blind by there own stupidity for not seeing right through him

Well, they aren't the only sheep. But they definitely ARE sheep.

YEAHIMROTH!
10-01-2004, 10:48 AM
honestly want to give them a shake and say " NO." they need a reality check.

FORD
10-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Hopefully they'll read Schultz's post and seriously think about what he says. Coming from us, it's all "anti American terra enabling partisan liberal bullshit" :rolleyes:

Coming from one of their own, they might take it seriously.

YEAHIMROTH!
10-01-2004, 10:56 AM
drmadvibe will be polishing his gun atm

FORD
10-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by YEAHIMROTH!
drmadvibe will be polishing his gun atm

I have a feeling he "polishes his gun" a little too often when he's thinking about Bush Jr. ;)

ELVIS
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Hopefully they'll read Schultz's post and seriously think about what he says. Coming from us, it's all "anti American terra enabling partisan liberal bullshit" :rolleyes:

Coming from one of their own, they might take it seriously.

You have such a knack for understimating people...

DrMaddVibe
10-01-2004, 01:37 PM
So answer the questions foLIARrd

DrMaddVibe
10-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I know foLIARrd's game. Make up baseless accusations,claims and innuendos and wait for the parties that were smeared to show up. GW and his type won't be signing in to the DLR board, but I am.

A mod here at this site felt I have multiple id's and post away, I ask to have that challenge answered and foLIARrd runs like a scalded dog into his corner because he CAN'T! He knows he's wrong and if he admits he's wrong on this, everyone here will know he's wrong about a lot of his political crap too. That's why he won't attempt to answer the claims he threw at me.

So...foLIARrd...have you grown a set of balls today? Ready to answer yet? LIAR!