PDA

View Full Version : can the US afford another war?

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Not being an American I simply don't know...but seriously...is the US going to over extend itself?

FORD
09-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Already has... that's why the BCE has got to go.

Big Train
09-20-2004, 12:31 AM
I think it is unlikely we will get involved in another military conflict anytime soon. We have a lot of unfinished business on our plates already. Covert action, possibly, but all out war unlikely.

When is Canada gonna extend itself? Being American I don't know....sorry, just busting your balls..

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Bullshit quote
Already has... that's why the BCE has got to go.

But you said Kerry was also BCE...

lms2
09-20-2004, 12:33 AM
America does not get into the wars it can afford, it gets into the wars it cannot afford to stay out of.

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 12:35 AM
There you go...;)

lms2
09-20-2004, 12:37 AM
;)

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
ewww lms...we disagree completely....cool :)

as far Canada not extending it self...we got some guys in Afganistan (yah I know I can't spell big deal)

anyways we don't have alot of a military but we were there for the big ones...we just tend to keep our nose out

lms2
09-20-2004, 12:44 AM
I was looking for an argument...

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 12:49 AM
there are alot of people way to informed for me to argue with here..I kinda like posing questions more than making statements that way I can learn....my opinions are always subject to change based on information....Elvis and you had a couple good points the other night Im still thinking about

lms2
09-20-2004, 12:51 AM
We like to keep you thinking. :D

lms2
09-20-2004, 12:54 AM
War sucks. But it is like this board... always an argument going on somewhere. You can walk away from many of them, but after awhile, it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth and you need to put your two cents in. In it for a dime, in it for a dollar.

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 12:56 AM
why do these things always have to be about arguing as opposed to learning from each other...?

Big Train
09-20-2004, 12:57 AM
I thank you for considering them.

Canada is in an enviable (Sp?, it's late) position in that you do have the option more so to pick and choose your conflicts. As the US, militarily speaking has North America covered, Canada and Mexico's armies don't need to be armed to the teeth and ready to go. So you have a passive army that gets involved more on a peacekeeping/ back end of things usually.

My guess is Canada will get much more involved with the war as time passes. The train bombings in Spain are probably a similar treatment you guys can expect. Eventually they will be attacking across the board. They will find another reason for Spain to be in "violation" of something and need to be made an example of. As they rolled over before, I'm sure they will be at the top of the list for a target to "make a statement" down the road. Let's hope you guys go the Russian route...

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
I thank you for considering them.

Canada is in an enviable (Sp?, it's late) position in that you do have the option more so to pick and choose your conflicts. As the US, militarily speaking has North America covered, Canada and Mexico's armies don't need to be armed to the teeth and ready to go. So you have a passive army that gets involved more on a peacekeeping/ back end of things usually.

My guess is Canada will get much more involved with the war as time passes. The train bombings in Spain are probably a similar treatment you guys can expect. Eventually they will be attacking across the board. They will find another reason for Spain to be in "violation" of something and need to be made an example of. As they rolled over before, I'm sure they will be at the top of the list for a target to "make a statement" down the road. Let's hope you guys go the Russian route...

Yike I hope your right...and I do agree that we are lucky to have the States beside us.....just don't think the war was needed...anyways...cool response

Big Train
09-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Your welcome anytime.

The war was needed. I can understand why you don't think so..you weren't attacked. If 3,000 people in Montreal or Toronto died in one day, you might think different. But again, you have the option of sitting back and watching, which like I said, is enviable.

lms2
09-20-2004, 01:14 AM
because for every child that is happy to sit in their own yard, and play with their own toys, there are two children who want to come into that yard, and take that toy away.

FORD
09-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Your welcome anytime.

The war was needed. I can understand why you don't think so..you weren't attacked. If 3,000 people in Montreal or Toronto died in one day, you might think different. But again, you have the option of sitting back and watching, which like I said, is enviable.

Hopefully the Canadians would use their brains and only retaliate against those responsible for the attacks.

Big Train
09-20-2004, 01:20 AM
If you were leading the way, they would be tearing up hobby shops looking for remote controls, looking for missle pods in the debris and having random nutcases writing essays dictating national policy...

But they would get "the right people".

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 01:28 AM
what about the millions that die in other coutries that aren't at the table of the wealthy west...like in Rohanda...etc.....they loose so many...are their lives less than others?

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 01:37 AM
anyways sorry got away from the original question...IF the war did need to fight Iran....could it afford the war?

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 01:51 AM
If you were leading the way, they would be tearing up hobby shops looking for remote controls, looking for missle pods in the debris and having random nutcases writing essays dictating national policy...

But they would get "the right people".

Haha!

:D

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
anyways sorry got away from the original question...IF the war did need to fight Iran....could it afford the war?

Absolutely!

Big Train
09-20-2004, 04:11 AM
Posted by Scorpio:

what about the millions that die in other coutries that aren't at the table of the wealthy west...like in Rohanda...etc.....they loose so many...are their lives less than others?

You should ask your own isolationist government and see what they say.

It is an interesting question you pose. On the ethical side, you ask whether or not wars SHOULD be fought for all oppressed people. On the operational side, your saying it is unnecessary for us to do so, as in the case of Iraq. Which way do you want us to cut the pie?

scorpioboy33
09-20-2004, 04:56 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pie

Pink Spider
09-20-2004, 08:06 AM
The US government doesn't care about expenses. They're not paying for the war, we are. Can we afford another war? I don't think so. But, they will steal from us to steal from other countries until there's nothing left of either. The elite can afford it to be sure because they won't be paying for it.

Wars for freedom are a thing of the past. It doesn't matter if a war today is fought under the banner of the UN or the US. It's all for expansion of control to fight for multinational corporations or corrupt governments. Whichever yields better results in controlling countries and their people.

knuckleboner
09-20-2004, 11:04 AM

The war was needed. I can understand why you don't think so..you weren't attacked. If 3,000 people in Montreal or Toronto died in one day, you might think different.

the afghanistan war was needed. the iraqi war is much more debatable. and in my opinion, much less justifiable.

ODShowtime
09-20-2004, 11:39 AM
One thing about the war on terror is that we haven't had to sacrifice much so far. Yeah, we have a ridiculous bill that we'll all be paying in the future in PR, blood, and money.

But if we needed to... if our backs were against the wall and everyone threw in and gave up something, we could put a big hurting on most of the world. We could easily conqeur Syria and Iran and have reserves left to fuck up Pakistan afterwards. Whether we could keep them is an entirely different question.

But that would entail all of our stupid assess being on the front line and rationing of everything useful over here.