PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld DVD?

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Has anyone else heard about them starting to release each season of Seinfeld on DVD?

I heard that Michael Richards and Jerry will be the only ones who do any interviews or descriptions of the show on these disks.

I guess Jason Alexander is too busy filming "Dunston Checks in 2" to be a part of this.

DLR7884
Anyone....?

Flash Bastard
01-25-2004, 04:53 PM
I read somewhere the others didn't want to be involved because they wouldn't make any money off the DVD sales.

High Life Man
01-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
I read somewhere the others didn't want to be involved because they wouldn't make any money off the DVD sales.

Yep.

And I think they're doing the right thing. The supporting actors are what made that show.

That and Larry David.

Bob_R
01-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Seinfeld on DVD would be cool. :)

FORD
01-25-2004, 11:45 PM
There are much lesser shows (and more recent ones) out on DVD already, so why the Hell not Seinfeld?

I'll buy 'em. Beats watching the reruns all chopped up with extra commercials added.

And when they get around to releasing the final season - it better have the Puerto Rican Day episode on it, goddamn it . NBC only ran that episode once, and it's never been in syndication.

diamondD
01-26-2004, 12:25 AM
You can find it on Kazaa with no problem.

The first "season" wasn't very much. Just a handful. Hopefully they include the 2nd full season on the first release.

DLR7884
01-26-2004, 02:05 AM
I'm sure the supporting cast made plenty of money off of the syndication deal. So they should quit their bitching.

DLR7884
Cry me a fucking river.

High Life Man
01-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I'm sure the supporting cast made plenty of money off of the syndication deal. So they should quit their bitching.

Nope. I heard they got screwed on that end too.

Pays to have good lawyers I guess.

Flash Bastard
01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Here's an article I found on the story...

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,13170,00.html

Kramer Cracks in "Seinfeld" Feud

by Julie Keller
Dec 24, 2003, 1:40 PM PT

Kramer has crossed the Seinfeld picket line.

Michael Richards, the beloved, wacky star of the much-Emmy'd comedy series has broken ranks with costars Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus and decided to participate in an upcoming DVD release of the show.

Until now, all three stars have passed on participating in the project for financial reasons--reps for all three actors had said their clients were unhappy with their payoffs from the continually successful show and they didn't want to work for free.

But Richards finally caved to pressure after talking things over with series star Jerry Seinfeld over the weekend. Richards does maintain that he would like to receive some cash for participating, particularly since Seinfeld, co-creator Larry David and several others involved in production are still making money on the show.

"I think everyone wants to get paid," Richards told the New York Times. "Is it honorable for those on the inside to make compensation? That's an ethical question they have to deal with. But I never heard back from anybody."

It seems unlikely that Kramer will cash in for his participation, since actors don't generally get paid on residual deals like DVDs. "I innocently asked a question, 'Is there some compensation?' I don't believe there is," Richards told the Times. "There isn't anything."

Still, Richards says he is going to do his part to make the DVD a success. "I'm not boycotting," he told the Times. "I'm involved. I was never called to do an interview. I am so for the DVD coming out that I'll go on the Tonight show."

Elizabeth Clark, a rep for Seinfeld, says the actor still has hope that the erstwhile George and Elaine will come around and that he plans to get in touch with them in the New Year. "He hopes they will participate in the DVD," she said in a statement.

But whether Alexander and Louis-Dreyfus sign on or not, the DVD is likely to be a smashing success. Seinfeld was consistently a number one show and a mainstay of NBC's Must-See Thursdays throughout its run from 1990 to 1998. Even today, it still runs relentlessly in syndication and generates millions for its Seinfeld and David, who masterminded the show.

Troy
01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
I thought the last few years the three got a million per episode?

I understand why they would want more money but Seinfeld & David created the show based on their lives, so they should get all the money.

I heard it was only going to be a top episodes set. If they start releasing seasons, even better!

MAX
01-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And when they get around to releasing the final season - it better have the Puerto Rican Day episode on it, goddamn it . NBC only ran that episode once, and it's never been in syndication.

Nawwwww dude, they put that back into rotation about two years ago. :D I really didn't see what was so bad about it? What I thought was really stupid is when they pulled the one with Susan dying from licking cheap glue during the anthrax scare? That was weak. IMO.

Polk High
01-27-2004, 01:35 PM
that show was sucessful due to the 4 main charectors and good small parts played by charectors. I would think the other 3 would get their fair shares

Golden AWe
01-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Yeah, it was a show about nothing, but I love it because they were making fun of everybody and everything...especially themselves...no one was safe.

AND there were no emotional issues like the crappy "Friends" etc. have all the time...not a single show ends like "OOOH" because someone's love life was hurt...only "crocodile's tears"...

"THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SUMMER OF GEORGE!!!" :D

High Life Man
01-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Yeah, it was a show about nothing, but I love it because they were making fun of everybody and everything...especially themselves...no one was safe.

I think it started that way, but as the show matured, they became pretty complex. Sometimes 3 or 4 different storylines intertwining. Great writing, something that many people didn't even notice - probably because it was so good.

A lot of shows were based on classic improv games as well. Best example is the show in reverse. Not unlike something you'll see at a Second City, Boom! Chicago or a ComedySportz show.

Like I said, Larry David is a genius. Sometimes the best comedy comes from people who don't make it big in the stand-up biz.

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah...once they got rid of the standup...and starting messing with the storylines...it got good...

that show in reverse...lmfao...the Indian Wedding episode...classic stuff...

There are so many classic episodes of Seinfeld...it's impossible to count...most shows...even shows that are around for 10 years or so...have a handful...5 or 6 real classic episodes...

Seinfeld is 10 plus easy...and I'm sure we could list them all here...

and how about the Steinbrenner character...Soup Nazi...Mr. Pitt...that fucking episode when they are changing the name of that Poland Springs company...and he looks like Hitler...or the fucking 3D picture episode...

Newman...Puddy...

and that's just a start...

look...if you sign on for a show...these days...even in 90...and don't fucking have provisions set up for possible syndication in a new contract at some point...than you are a fucking moron...

screw them...if they didn't have the insight then...then fuck them now...;)

Golden AWe
02-02-2004, 08:18 AM
After seeing "What Women Want" on tv yesterday it reminded me of another classic episode..."The Cadillac"...Marisa Tomei, she's hot...no wonder George was obsessed with her...

"I'm kind of engaged..." LOL

Troy
02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I never realized until I started watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm" that Larry David did Steinbrenner's voice on the show.

I highly recomend "Curb.." I bought Season one and started watching it. Very funny.

Roy Munson
02-03-2004, 09:50 AM
I'd be up for this! My wife especially. She's a superfan if I ever saw one.