PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Exit Strategy

Mezro
09-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Quick exit from Iraq likely

September 20, 2004

BY ROBERT NOVAK SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Whether Bush or Kerry is elected, the president or president-elect will have to sit down immediately with the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The military will tell the election winner there are insufficient U.S. forces in Iraq to wage effective war. That leaves three realistic options: Increase overall U.S. military strength to reinforce Iraq, stay with the present strength to continue the war, or get out.

Well-placed sources in the administration are confident Bush's decision will be to get out. They believe that is the recommendation of his national security team and would be the recommendation of second-term officials. An informed guess might have Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state, Paul Wolfowitz as defense secretary and Stephen Hadley as national security adviser. According to my sources, all would opt for a withdrawal.

Getting out now would not end expensive U.S. reconstruction of Iraq, and certainly would not stop the fighting. Without U.S. troops, the civil war cited as the worst-case outcome by the recently leaked National Intelligence Estimate would be a reality. It would then take a resolute president to stand aside while Iraqis battle it out.

OK...if the strategy is to just leave and let Iraq plunge into civil war then why did we even stay in the first place? We could have cut our losses and left after capturing Saddam.

Mezro...150 Billion is a lot of money to spend for chaos...

conmee
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
I doubt we're going to leave the oil fields and pipelines unprotected.... hell, we better NOT leave them unprotected.... I'm on the verge of buying a V-8 powered vehicle, and I need gas prices to steady or decline in the coming months, not rise!!!! lmao

Sieg Oil!!!!

Icon.

:monkey:

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
What about me ??

:D

Mezro
09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by conmee
I doubt we're going to leave the oil fields and pipelines unprotected....

Halliburton and Trojan could work together on that project:)

Mezro...I'm winning the war against forehead oil...

ELVIS
09-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Tis sucks, my 's and 's stopped workin...

:elvis:

Mezro
09-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Tis sucks, my 's and 's stopped workin...
:elvis:

I actually get you to participate in one of my threads and your keys crap out?

Mezro...must be a conspiracy... :D