PDA

View Full Version : Deperately seeking technical support

sambo
09-21-2004, 02:30 AM
I'm currently running the latest version of Girlfriend 5.0 and having some problems. I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 for years as my primary application, and all the Girlfriend releases have always conflicted with it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if you minimize Girlfriend with the sound off, but since I can't find the switch to turn it off, I just run them separately and it works OK.

Girlfriend also seems to have a problem coexisting with Golfware, often trying to abort my Golf program with some sort of timing incompatibility. I probably should have stayed with Girlfriend 1.0, but I thought I might see better performance with Girlfriend 2.0.

After months of conflicts, I consulted a friend who has experience with Girlfriend 2.0. He said I probably didn't have enough cache to run Girlfriend 2.0 and eventually it would require a Token Ring upgrade to run properly. He was right. As soon as I purged my cache, Girlfriend 2.0 uninstalled itself.

Shortly after that, I installed a Girlfriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus. After a hard drive clean up and thorough virus scan I very cautiously upgraded to Girlfriend 4.0. This time using a SCSI probe and virus protection. It worked OK for a while until I discovered Girlfriend 1.0 wasn't completely uninstalled!

I tried to run Girlfriend 1.0 again with Girlfriend 4.0 still installed, but Girlfriend 4.0 has an unadvertised feature that automatically senses the presence of Girlfriend 1.0 and communicates with it in some way, resulting in the immediate removal of both versions!

The version I have now works pretty well, but, like all versions, there are still some problems. The Girlfriend package is written in some obscure language that I can't understand, much less reprogram. And I've never liked how Girlfriend is totally 'object-oriented.'

A year ago, a friend upgraded his version to GirlfriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate-and-Stay resident version. He discovered GirlfriendPlus 1.0 expires within a year if you don't upgrade to Fiance9e 1.0. So he did. But soon after that, you have to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a 'huge resource hog.' It has taken up all his space, so he can't load anything else. One of the primary reasons that he upgraded to Wife is because it came bundled with FreeSex 1.0. Well, it turns out that the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes prohibits access to FreeSex (particularly the new Plug and Play items he wanted to try). On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well warmed-up system before he can do anything. And, although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw 1.0, which has an automatic popup feature he can't turn off.

I told him to install Mistress 1.0, but he said that he heard that if you try to run it without first uninstalling Wife, that Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before uninstalling itself. Then Mistress 1.0 won't install anyway, due to insufficient resources. If anybody out there is able to offer technical advice...

lms2
09-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Thats good. I like that. Advice give it up. Buddy, women are gonna get ya one way shape form or another. Just learn to smile and like it. :D

sambo
09-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Oh I already know that.... just kicking and screaming a little on my way down.... ;)

lms2
09-21-2004, 02:44 AM
fight the good fight. you will always have the memories!

sambo
09-21-2004, 02:49 AM
LOL! I'm trying... it's hard work in the trenches, I realise I'm hopelessly outnumbered..

Panamark
09-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Sambo, never give in !!

Unless its *the* one.... You should know if it is..

If not, uninstall Girlfriend Ver 5.0 and wait for the
next release. The first releases are always buggy anyways !!

:)

LoungeMachine
09-21-2004, 05:21 AM
The problem could be in your floppy

Panamark
09-21-2004, 05:39 AM
The floppy could be his last hope !! :)

ELVIS
09-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Girlfriend 1.0-5.0 require a very large hard drive...

I have had no problems with any of the versions...

:elvis:

Viking
09-21-2004, 07:07 PM
LMAO Funny...........:D

sambo
09-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Version 5.0 is now working well although a little unstable ;) will keep an eye out for bugs in the short term. As you know, with any new program if it's not going to work it normally happens in the first few weeks. LOL!

Although I am having trouble removing Version 4.0, it seems to be permanently attaching itself to my hard drive. Add/Remove Programs does not work, nor does the Delete function. I am thinking I may have to completely Uninstall / Reinstall and reformat my hard drive.

If that doesn't work then it could very well be the floppy :D

David Van Via
09-21-2004, 08:40 PM
bloody hell that is fantastic.

You should try running a virus checker on just version 4.0.

Hope that version 4.0 and 5.0 don't clash and result in removal of important files.

Try downloading WineandDinner version 3 it's meant to increase performance of Girlfriend 5.0 apparently.

ELVIS
09-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Also, I've learned that unless you keep Girlfriend 5.0 updated daily, It's easily infected with spyware causing it to latch on to any available hard drive in the community...

sambo
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Also, I've learned that unless you keep Girlfriend 5.0 updated daily, It's easily infected with spyware causing it to latch on to any available hard drive in the community...

LMFAO! Yes there are a few updates available, I was hoping to get a few more bundled with the freeware version of Compliments v1.0 but that program appears not much value after the first week.

The list of updates grows daily:

WineandDinner v3.0 (LOL! thanks DVV!)
Movies v6.1
WeekendGetaways v2.0
MiscellanousGifts v5.0
RandomActsofKindness v3.2
Don'tLookAtMyGirlfriends v2.01
DinnerWithParents v4.0
SpendMoreTimeWithMeAndLessTimeAtThePub v7.0 (this is quite a large update and difficult to install... it's taking me a few attempts)

:D

David Van Via
09-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sambo
LMFAO! Yes there are a few updates available, I was hoping to get a few more bundled with the freeware version of Compliments v1.0 but that program appears not much value after the first week.

The list of updates grows daily:

WineandDinner v3.0 (LOL! thanks DVV!)
Movies v6.1
WeekendGetaways v2.0
MiscellanousGifts v5.0
RandomActsofKindness v3.2
Don'tLookAtMyGirlfriends v2.01
DinnerWithParents v4.0
SpendMoreTimeWithMeAndLessTimeAtThePub v7.0 (this is quite a large update and difficult to install... it's taking me a few attempts)

Your welcome sir.

Yeah those updates would go down a treat. But make sure your hardware can handle them all.

I read some user reviews for some of those programs apparantly SpendMoreTimeWithMeAndLessTimeAtThePub v7.0 is a bitch to get working to maximum efficiency, but when it does it's worth all the bother.

sambo
09-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by David Van Via
Your welcome sir.

Yeah those updates would go down a treat. But make sure your hardware can handle them all.

I agree, trying to install all these updates at the same time can slow down ones own performance considerably. Maybe better one patch at a time, or get more memory, otherwise something is bound to crash, or just freeze up! ;)

David Van Via
09-21-2004, 09:42 PM
I agree, trying to install all these updates at the same time can slow down ones performance considerably. Maybe better one patch at a time, or get more memory, otherwise somehting is bound to crash ;)

You're a very wise man sir.

Getting more memory can be costly. Plus it's better if you use each program one-at-a-time if you use them all at once you won't know what one to use first. And can risk running out of RAM.

sambo
09-21-2004, 10:40 PM
You should try running a virus checker on just version 4.0.

Hope that version 4.0 and 5.0 don't clash and result in removal of important files.

Virus Alert ! PC Scan has located the following virus

*PissedOff.exe *

This is the most DANGEROUS virus ever.

It will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any disks that are even close to your computer. It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream melts. It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, screw up the tracking on your VCR and use subspace field harmonics to render any CDs you try to play unreadable.

It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. It will mix antifreeze into your fishtank. It will drink all your beer and leave its socks out on the coffee table when there's company coming over. It will put a dead rat in the back pocket of your good suit and hide your car keys when you are late for work.

PissedOff.exe will make you fall in love with your 65 y.o next door neighbour. It will also make you allergic to beer and sport. It will give you nightmares about circus midgets. It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows. It will also date your best friend behind your back and bill the dinner and hotel room to your Visa card. It will replace your shampoo with Nair and your Nair with Rogaine. It will cause you to run with scissors and throw things in a way that is only fun until someone loses an eye

It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't find it. It will kick your dog. It will leave weird messages on your boss's voicemail in your voice! It is subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.

* Remove Pissedoff.exe? * Yes/No
* Yes *
* Remove unsuccessful *

Oh shit..... now I'm in trouble

David Van Via
09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Keep valueable files on a disk, Re-install operating system install required drivers, but saved files back in. Hope that all trace of Virus has gone. If not FUCK.

Shit where I did I leave my virus checker, Fuck I should organize my files better.

sambo
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Keep valueable files on a disk, Re-install operating system install required drivers, but saved files back in. Hope that all trace of Virus has gone. If not FUCK.

Completed full uninstall / reinstall. Now have the following error message:

lms2
09-22-2004, 02:09 AM
ROTFLMAO I really don't think a computer can do all that.

sambo
09-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Ha! It's a very dangerous virus, should have paid more attention when updating software..

Note to self: COMPLETELY remove all previous versions of Girlfriend BEFORE trying to install new version.

David Van Via
09-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Completed full uninstall / reinstall. Now have the following error message:

Shit, I'm sorry I fucked up real bad. I shouldn't have skipped so many lessons of Hardware and Software at college.

David Van Via
09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Ha! It's a very dangerous virus, should have paid more attention when updating software..

Note to self: COMPLETELY remove all previous versions of Girlfriend BEFORE trying to install new version.

Let this be a lesson to everybody for future reference. If you forget this then you end up in complete system failure.