PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Grim Reaper?

DeadOrAlive
09-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Anyone heard of Grim Reaper? Yes the name tells it all.:D It's a cheesy 80's metal band but they had some good songs!

Lqskdiver
09-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Weren't they those real ugly fucks? I think the lead singer looked like a hog with hair and the guitar player was no rosie either.

bueno bob
09-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Yes, I have their discography (I know, all 3 of them, lol).

Great band, I thought. Very traditional NWOBHM sound, which not only worked for them but killed them. Kind of tragic, Nick Bowcott was an outstanding guitarist. Even thought Stephen Grimmets voice tended a little towards the King Diamond "overkill" side more often then not, he still has/had a hell of a set of pipes.

Good band, overall, even if they did have some really awful moments.

FORD
09-23-2004, 04:11 PM
King Diamond? I always thought he was trying to be Rob Halford.

King Diamond's voice (and lousy Kiss ripoff look) is a joke unto itself.

BruinJer
09-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I have a friend who is the biggest King Diamond fan... it makes me sick whenever I hear that shit!! Anyway... Grim Reaper???...lol SEE YOU IN HELL MY FRIEND... I'LL SEE YOU IN HELLLLLL!!!!...lol

Hecubus
09-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Yeah...they told me to tell you...

SEE YOU IN HELL, MY FRIEND.

bueno bob
09-24-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by FORD
King Diamond? I always thought he was trying to be Rob Halford.

King Diamond's voice (and lousy Kiss ripoff look) is a joke unto itself.

Well, here's the thing of that.

King Diamond WAS trying to be Rob Halford. Likewise, Mercyful Fate was trying to be Judas Priest. Listen to "At the Sound of the Demon Bell", oh Christ, listen to anything off of "Melissa" and you'll hear it loud and clear.

Diamond's facepaint was actually a style/trend that was beginning at the time out in the Norwegian metal scene, it's commonly referred to as "corpsepaint" now...it's a VERY big part of the whole Satanic/black metal scene, as common and important to it's own click as a guitar is in a Van Halen song...not something that can be done away with easily, although some bands have ditched it and been succesful (Emperor comes to mind).

Diamond, considering he got his success and recognition as early on as he did, has been credited as one of the first few satanic metal face paint pioneers, although in all truth, it all ties itself back to Kiss...just sort of a "Glam for Satan" thing, maybe? Don't know, but after 24 years in the metal industry and one great album after another, King Diamond grew on me in a big way. Rarely do I actually go somewhere without a Mercyful Fate CD or two along for the ride.

Over the top and certainly silly, yes, I'll agree, but if you go through the Diamond/Fate catalogs, you're bound to find some really good stuff, no matter what particular brand of metal you're into...something in there for everyone, and of course, Diamond and Fate aren't the Priest cover band anymore, either, they long ago established their own entity.

eddieheck2000
10-01-2004, 08:36 AM
man i havent heard of them since 1986 or something i think i was is 6th grade see you in hell!

Panamark
10-02-2004, 05:06 AM
No

DeadOrAlive
10-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I always thought their song was Rock You to Hell... I saw this music vid on VH1 Classic. Anyone know where I could get this vid?

DeadOrAlive
10-02-2004, 10:49 PM
And yes, they are ass ugly. The singer is a fat ass and has bucked teeth. Watching their music vids is just priceless!