PDA

View Full Version : Ever go to a concert not knowing about a major band member change?

monkeythe
09-25-2004, 03:00 AM
A few years ago, a friend of mine saw Styx and came back pissed off that Dennis DeYoung wasn't the singer. I laughed at him, not only because he saw Styx, but how could 1 go to a concert not knowing about a major lineup change.

Last year the joke was on me, as I saw Queensrche thinking that Chris DeGarmo was in the band. They promoted the album as though he was back in the band and none of the advertising for the tour mentioned he wasn't in the band. When the show started everyone in my section was pissed off when DeGarmo wasn't there and several people left. I would have left too, but Dream Theater was going on next and I really wanted to see them. However, I didn't enjoy the concert as much as I should have because I was still pissed about the DeGarmo bait and switch.

I was wondering if anyone else has either experienced something like this themselves or had it happen to any of their friends.

bueno bob
09-25-2004, 03:48 AM
Dokken on the Shadow Life tour. Got there expecting to see George Lynch, but was actually pleasantly surprised to find John Norum handling guitar...the audience was visibly (and verbally) pissed about the whole thing, but I was into it. Always loved Norum and George had been playing older Dokken material piss poorly...recordings from the Dysfunctional tour made me wonder if he hadn't been playing any of his old material for a few years or something because he sounded like shit and was missing half of his own notes...Norum smoked it up, so when he joined the band full time for Long Way Home, I was actually excited to hear it....then I heard the album and barfed when I realized that Don took over the whole damn thing and let that shit-for-brains Kelly Keeling write half of the lyrics...John may as well have not even played on it...

Anyway, moving right along... :)

Seshmeister
09-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
A few years ago, a friend of mine saw Styx and came back pissed off that Dennis DeYoung wasn't the singer. I laughed at him, not only because he saw Styx, but how could 1 go to a concert not knowing about a major lineup change.

Last year the joke was on me, as I saw Queensrche thinking that Chris DeGarmo was in the band. They promoted the album as though he was back in the band and none of the advertising for the tour mentioned he wasn't in the band. When the show started everyone in my section was pissed off when DeGarmo wasn't there and several people left. I would have left too, but Dream Theater was going on next and I really wanted to see them. However, I didn't enjoy the concert as much as I should have because I was still pissed about the DeGarmo bait and switch.

I was wondering if anyone else has either experienced something like this themselves or had it happen to any of their friends.

Last time I saw Queensryche for the first 5 minutes I thought the WHOLE lineup had changed.

Those guys haven't aged too well...:)

LoungeMachine
09-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Last time I saw Queensryche for the first 5 minutes I thought the WHOLE lineup had changed.

Those guys haven't aged too well...:)

Hoo boy.

I'll be sure to tell eddie your thoughts

too funny

LoungeMachine
09-25-2004, 11:26 AM
This isnt exactly a "lineup change" per se, but I was surprised to find out once, when a band I was in opened for Cheap Trick, that during the soundcheck Bun E. Carlos wasn't on the drums, his son was.

Reminded me of the John/Jason Bonham stories.

FORD
09-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
This isnt exactly a "lineup change" per se, but I was surprised to find out once, when a band I was in opened for Cheap Trick, that during the soundcheck Bun E. Carlos wasn't on the drums, his son was.

Reminded me of the John/Jason Bonham stories.

Used to have an MP3 of Zeppelin playing "Trampled Underfoot" at a soundcheck with Jason on the drums. I think he was 12 or so at the time. Hadn't yet picked up his dad's power or style yet, but it was still impressive drumming for a 12 year old, from what I remember.

Mr Badguy
09-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Would it be silly to mention Kiss in this thread?

Mr Badguy
09-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Or Black Sabbath?

LoungeMachine
09-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Would it be silly to mention Kiss in this thread?

silly?, no.

redundant?, yes.

Seshmeister
09-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Hoo boy.

I'll be sure to tell eddie your thoughts

too funny

I was half joking.

I hadn't checked the internet and didn't know that Geoff T was shaven headed these days.

Scott Rockenfield looked pretty old though.

I bet you still have some fun with Eddie about the pics on the back of Rage for Order...:)

Cheers!

:gulp: