PDA

View Full Version : What is your greatest loss?

Northern Girl
09-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Coincidentally my two greatest losses involve Dave in an indirect way.

My first was in 1999 when I lost everything in a flood. It was a flash flood and very unexpected. It was on the 4th of July and I was out partying. Get home at 2 a.m. and my apartment is a swimming pool. Piece of advice - call your insurance company and see what coverage you have for floods, because if you don't specifically ask for it, you may not be covered. I was not covered for anything. I got $30.00 worth of cleaning supplies from Red Cross. Clean what? It was all destroyed! I had to move in with my parents for 10 months to save money to completely start over. Thank God for them. The material stuff was eventually replaced, but I lost some precious stuff that can't be replaced. I had an entire trunk full of Van Halen stuff. I've been a fan from the start, so I had every magazine article on them. And back in the day, they were in Circus and Metal Edge every month, plus frequently in Hit Parader and even the teeny bopper's 16 mag. I had three 5-inch thick bulging scrapbooks full of articles and pictures. Plus I had books, all the albums on vinyl and cassette, and on and on. And of course I have all the same from Dave's solo career also including tour books, vinyl, cassettes, etc. It's all gone. All that really survived was my gold VH necklace that I've had since about 1980.

However, none of that really compares to my greatest loss, which was my dad in 2001. My pops was the greatest. He worked so hard his whole life to give his family the best he could. And then died at 61 before he got to retire and take it easy. He died early in the year, and it looked like it was going to be the worst year of my life. Then I heard an announcement that Dave was going on tour. Dave saves the day. I saw Dave three times that summer and had the time of my life. It had been years since I'd seen Dave, and to see him three times in three months was more than I could ever hope for. I wrote a letter to Dave - which he probably never saw - because I wanted to thank him for turning around the worst year of my life and for thinking of his fans and showing us such a great time. I've always turned to Dave/VH music to cheer me up, escape from reality or satisfy whatever my need be at the time. I take it everywhere, so it's always there when I need it. It always makes me feel better. Not just because it is so good, but it brings me back to that time; and I remember how fun and exciting it was when VH were Kings of the World. So so long ago. Shit, now I'm depressed. Well, I know what I have to do. C-ya.

Susie Q
09-25-2004, 10:18 PM
My Cousin to cancer in March of this year. Tommorrow was her 39th Birthday.

David Van Via
09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
My greatest loss was my Grandad dying 3 years ago. He came up to me a week before he died and said I wouldn't see him for a long long time. Then when I had to help lower his coffin into his grave I almost couldn't do it. Knowing that would be the last time I would see him.

I still go to his grave and play Stairway to heaven on an acoustic guitar when I have a chance, it was a song he liked to hear me play.

Susie Q
09-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by David Van Via
My greatest loss was my Grandad dying 3 years ago. He came up to me a week before he died and said I wouldn't see him for a long long time. Then when I had to help lower his coffin into his grave I almost couldn't do it. Knowing that would be the last time I would see him.

I still go to his grave and play Stairway to heaven on an acoustic guitar when I have a chance, it was a song he liked to hear me play.

awwwwwww...

I am going to my cousin's tommorrow and bringing a coffee with me. Our thing was going to each others house, having coffee, and talking for hours on end.

I was in the room when she passed away. That will be etched in my mind forever. I swear.

Death is not easily over come. I have had a few people pass before her and never reacted this way. With her, I am a melting pot of goo.

David Van Via
09-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
awwwwwww...

I am going to my cousin's tommorrow and bringing a coffee with me. Our thing was going to each others house, having coffee, and talking for hours on end.

I was in the room when she passed away. That will be etched in my mind forever. I swear.

Death is not easily over come. I have had a few people pass before her and never reacted this way. With her, I am a melting pot of goo.

He's the only member of my family that's passed away in my lifetime that I remember. I wasn't in the room when my Grandad died but I did see him on the day he died I couldn't stay in the room, he was on so much medication he didn't know where he was. All I said was I'll miss you....goodbye and then left crying. Doctors said he would die later that day and he did 10 hours later.

And I'm glad to hear that your taking coffee over, traditions are good thing.

Susie Q
09-25-2004, 10:38 PM
He's the only member of my family that's passed away in my lifetime that I remember. I wasn't in the room when my Grandad died but I did see him on the day he died I couldn't stay in the room, he was on so much medication he didn't know where he was. All I said was I'll miss you....goodbye and then left crying. Doctors said he would die later that day and he did 10 hours later.

And I'm glad to hear that your taking coffee over, traditions are good thing.

Yah they are. Do you feel your grandad around you any? I feel my cousin's presence around me sometimes. But, not all the while. I truly believe she is at peace. It was so hard for her for the last 7 years of her life. She lived such a tough life.

Your story is just as sad. It's real hard to say goodbye.

David Van Via
09-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Yah they are. Do you feel your grandad around you any? I feel my cousin's presence around me sometimes. But, not all the while. I truly believe she is at peace. It was so hard for her for the last 7 years of her life. She lived such a tough life.

Your story is just as sad. It's real hard to say goodbye.

i feel my grandad when I'm at certain places or doing certain thing like fishing.

The only thing I can take from my Grandads death was I was lucky that I had good time with him before he died. Six years before he died he had a stroke due to alchohol and tabaco.

How long did your cousin have cancer before she passed away.

Susie Q
09-25-2004, 10:55 PM
i feel my grandad when I'm at certain places or doing certain thing like fishing.

The only thing I can take from my Grandads death was I was lucky that I had good time with him before he died. Six years before he died he had a stroke due to alchohol and tabaco.

How long did your cousin have cancer before she passed away.

She suffered 7 years, had it for 8. The only thing I knew for the first few years of her having the cancer was her having the real bad headaches. Other than that she seemed "fine". She had to heal when they opened up her skull and took out most of the tumors, so she had some hair missing for a while. Then she looked fine again, but real tired looking with bags under her eyes. She stood up with me when I got married in December this past year.

Last September I threw her a birthday party, in October I took her to Matchbox 20, and in December she stood up for me. By the end of February she was all but a shell of herself again. March 5th is when she died. God I miss her. :(

Hummarstra
09-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Those are sad stories, guys. I wish you two all the best in dealing with your losses.

DeadOrAlive
09-26-2004, 11:47 AM
When I got circumcised...

Full Bug
09-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Both my parents to Cancer about 8 years ago now, and not a day goes by that I dont miss them....My father was the best friend a guy could ever have....

Susie Q
09-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Both my parents to Cancer about 8 years ago now, and not a day goes by that I dont miss them....My father was the best friend a guy could ever have....

It's not easy is it bug. We have to think that they went on to another place that is much more sane and peaceful than it is here.

David Van Via
09-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
Those are sad stories, guys. I wish you two all the best in dealing with your losses.

Thank you very much, it's most appreciated!

Elitest
09-26-2004, 05:17 PM
My mother then my aunt, the first to Parkinsons the second to Cancer at Christmas

David Van Via
09-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Elitest
My mother then my aunt, the first to Parkinsons the second to Cancer at Christmas

How long ago did that happen?

Originally posted by Full Bug

I'm really sorry sir. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. But as Susie said they've most likely gone to a better place.

LadyTudor2711
09-27-2004, 12:40 AM
For me that would have to be my parents and fiance. My mother at 14 of a stroke, father, from cancer at 23, and my fiance at 31. He was a total gem, a real man. Johnathan died in a boating accident while we were on vacation in France. Too sad sometimes.

LT

lms2
09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Although deaths are hard to take, and we want to remember our loved ones forever, death is inevitable... is it a loss, or have our loved ones moved on to a better place where we will be reunited again some day?

my greatest losses... belief in myself, love for my country, trust in my fellow man, faith that mircacles really do come true, and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Shit, thats just too dismal.

Again, death is the reward of a life lived to completion.

My greatest loss involves someone who is still living. Someone I cared very much about, but was too afraid to take chances. Am I the only one here that has lost a friend or loved one because of pride or fear?

Full Bug
09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by LadyTudor2711
and my fiance at 31. He was a total gem, a real man.
Damm, that must have been rough, I cant even think about what I would do if my fiance died tomorrow....

guwapo_rocker
09-27-2004, 03:41 PM
My Mom in April......shit.

Carmine
09-27-2004, 03:51 PM
my grandma, last tuesday

guwapo_rocker
09-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
my grandma, last tuesday

Sorry to hear that bro....

frenchie
09-27-2004, 04:13 PM
my bicycle, one week ago.someone stole it.
BASTARD, if i find you, you're dead!!!!!!

LadyTudor2711
09-29-2004, 12:58 AM
May God Bless Us All....

My heart is breaking with every post.

Know that we are all loved and that life has great value..

LT

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 01:23 AM

man Im so sorry :(

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rockers
My Mom in April......shit.

sorry for your loss guwapo...i can't imagine

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 01:29 AM
wierd how people you meet on a message board can affect you

ZahZoo
09-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I've lost some good friends and musician buddies to death which have been difficult to varying degrees plus a few elder family members.

I guess my worst loss was my best friend of almost 20 years due to having an affair with my ex-wife. Not only a loss of two significant people in my life but also a part of me died with it. It's been over 13 years since and I've remarried and have built a wonder life, but there are aspects of myself that will never be the same again.

Carmine
09-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Sorry to hear that bro....

Thank you, G.R.

Susie Q
09-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
I've lost some good friends and musician buddies to death which have been difficult to varying degrees plus a few elder family members.

I guess my worst loss was my best friend of almost 20 years due to having an affair with my ex-wife. Not only a loss of two significant people in my life but also a part of me died with it. It's been over 13 years since and I've remarried and have built a wonder life, but there are aspects of myself that will never be the same again.

You know what ZahZoo...I hear ya on this one. My ex-husband had the affair with my niece and it ripped an entire family apart. I since remarried as well...

There is trauma in everyones lives, to the point you feel like you cannot get any lower or take too much more. Then you realize that after you over come that, there is nothing else that seems to be any more challenging. I recently went through some real heavy duty shit, and am real glad I am in the position that I am right now.

I fight for what I believe in, and if it takes EVERY blood, sweat, and tear I have, I will fight to the finish. I am glad I got back what I have been missing for too damn long. :) *sigh* :)

Susie Q
09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
By the way, I am very sorry for all your losses. It's not easy to cope, believe me I know. I still can't. There are times I go into these bouts of crying like a baby for no reason....there are times I just smile and think of the crazy shit my cousin and I used to do. Then I think of the last lucid moments her and I shared....I'll never have those moments back. Her death has taught me so much. How I need to cherish the love of those around me. Those that are important to me.

Switch84
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM
:smoke: Aside from the dead relatives/friends and financial ruin episodes, I'd pick trust in people and my patience for them.

ZahZoo
10-01-2004, 12:41 PM
You know what ZahZoo...I hear ya on this one. My ex-husband had the affair with my niece and it ripped an entire family apart. I since remarried as well...

There is trauma in everyones lives, to the point you feel like you cannot get any lower or take too much more. Then you realize that after you over come that, there is nothing else that seems to be any more challenging. I recently went through some real heavy duty shit, and am real glad I am in the position that I am right now.

I fight for what I believe in, and if it takes EVERY blood, sweat, and tear I have, I will fight to the finish. I am glad I got back what I have been missing for too damn long. :) *sigh* :)

That's a really good point Suzie!! The strength gained from having difficult times can definately get you through whatever life throws at you down the road. Once been down and come back... it's much easier to find that motivation to fight back and stay on top!!! You already know the road...

JenniferM
04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
My Step-Dad in 2001. Such a great man........way more of a father to me than my natural father. I still have difficulty going to the cemetary. He taught me to always work for what you have...never expect a handout. Never depend on a man for anything (financially)....learn how to take care of yourself. Always contribute my share to my marriage in every aspect. One of his biggest beliefs was that "Your word is your bond". And my favorite.....if you're going to work for someone, do your best. Always work your hardest. If the pay sucks, too bad. You signed on the dotted line to accept that job so you better do your best.