PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best quarterback in NFL History?

Bob_R
01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Who do you guys think is the best quarterback in football history?

I think (and know) it's Joe Montana. How many comebacks? How many wins? How many Super Bowl wins? How many MVP'S?

And here is a stat most people probably don't even know. In the most pressure packed game on the planet, the Super Bowl, he threw a grand total of 0 interceptions in 4 games. :)

Lou
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Gotta be Joe Montana.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I can't argue against Montana in pretty much any aspect of his game, leadership, accuracy, etc....

But in terms of Super Bowl wins, Bradshaw was right up there next to Joe....

Little Texan
01-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Joe Montana

ALinChainz
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
If we're talking all time, Joe Montana.

Mama's Fool
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm not an old timer, but no one dominated an era like Otto Graham.
If not him, Joe would have to be it.

Troy
01-26-2004, 04:44 PM
How can you not go with Montana.

If Marino won a bowl, would he be considered the best since he holds so many records?

High Life Man
01-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Yep, Montana.

But name the top 5.

Dave's PA Rental
01-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I agree...definately Tom Bra...oh, I mean Joe Montana...

Mama's Fool
01-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Dan Marino wouldn't be there if he won one bowl. The modern measuring stick is Super Bowls, not stats. So here are the best Super Bowl era QBs.

John Elway number 2

Terry Bradshaw number 3

Troy Aikman number 4

Brett Favre number 5

Sarge
01-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Quincy Carter

:)

DLR7884
01-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Sammy Baugh.

Led the league in passing, punting and interceptions all in one season.

DLR7884
Top that Joe!! :)

redblkwht
01-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Mama's Fool
Dan Marino wouldn't be there if he won one bowl. The modern measuring stick is Super Bowls, not stats. So here are the best Super Bowl era QBs.

John Elway number 2

Terry Bradshaw number 3

Troy Aikman number 4

Brett Favre number 5
Good choice..

1 # 2 agreed.

3 Favre

4 Marino

5 Bradshaw

Im going by overall talent.
like if i had a dream team, who id pick first if avail..
I cant overlook Marino, if he only had a Rb, WOW.

VH Freak
01-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Dan Marino wouldn't be there if he won one bowl. The modern measuring stick is Super Bowls, not stats.

?? You've got to be kidding. Winning Super Bowls defines what a good QB is?? There are other players on a team and a QB doesn't win or lose a game by himself. Look at the players around the QB. If Marino was in San Fran during the Montana years do you think he would have won all those superbowls? Of course!...and he probably would have won more. I'm not knocking Montana because he was a clutch performer but look at all the players around him. He had great receivers and probably the best receiver ever. He had a great running back and a good OL. You put Montana on the Dolphins and he wouldn't have won the big one either. Marino never had the great RB to take the pressure of him.

This brings me to who I think the greatest QB of all time is...... Brett Favre. The reason is, this guy puts up unbelievable stats WITHOUT ever having a great receiver (Sterling Sharpe was his only good receiver but he lasted only a couple years), he never had a great running back until Ahman Green came a couple years ago, and his OL hasn't had a pro-bowler until last year. He makes plays that simply amaze you.

My top five would be

1. Favre
2. Marino
3. Elway
4. Montana
5. Unitas

Mama's Fool
01-30-2004, 03:00 PM
For some reason Marino is like Tarkenton, great talent but not clutch. The other things I don't think make him great is he wasn't a unifying person in the locker room. You look at Elway, Montana, and Favre the guys would go to war for their quarterback. You always heard stories about how much of an ass Dan Marino was to his players. I think he got too much too quick and treated people like shit. Oh well just my opinion.

ALinChainz
01-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Still have a hard time thinking Elway should be ahead of Montana. Their first Super Bowl title was due to Terrell Davis, Elway did squat, but he didn't have to. The 2nd was his all the way, he was MVP. He made his name in regualr season comebacks and those couple playoof games versus the Browns. Quarterback rating should come into play here too and Montana would have Elway beat.

But with different fans you will have different opinions.

Gmoney
01-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Another vote for Joe Montana, can't even think of a close second!!

BigBadBrian
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM

Hogwash! That leaves out too many greats like Tarkenton and Marino.

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Montana is the obvious choice if you say who was the greatest quarterback...

Who was the best talent?...Well...you'd have to look at Favre...Elway...

Best Passer...Marino...no doubt...quick release...strong arm...finesse...

Best passer with mobility...Tarkenton...

Did the most with little talent...Unitas...

Best situation...Bradshaw...a good player...but no way top five...you could put Aikman here as well...

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 04:36 PM
I won't bother re-hashing what's been said already...all valid candidates,But why the fuck isn't Kenny Stabler in the H.O.F.?We all know why,just a rhetorical question.
Here's to a good game tomorrow!:gulp:

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah dude...no lefties are allowed in the hall of fame that play qb...I thought everyone knew that...

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Yeah dude...no lefties are allowed in the hall of fame that play qb...I thought everyone knew that...
He's on the ballot again......hahaha:D

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 05:14 PM
He didn't make it...

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 06:10 PM
yep.