PDA

View Full Version : Did our troops finally wake up

frets5150
09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Updated: 01:04 PM EDT
Former Soldiers Slow to Report
500 Ready Reservists Seek Exemptions From Reactivation, Risk AWOL Status

By Tom Squitieri, USA TODAY
Sept. 28) - Fewer than two-thirds of the former soldiers being reactivated for duty in Iraq and elsewhere have reported on time, prompting the Army to threaten some with punishment for desertion.The former soldiers, part of what is known as the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), are being recalled to fill shortages in skills needed for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan
Of the 1,662 ready reservists ordered to report to Fort Jackson, S.C., by Sept. 22, only 1,038 had done so, the Army said Monday. About 500 of those who failed to report have requested exemptions on health or personal grounds.

"The numbers did not look good," said Lt. Col. Burton Masters, a spokesman for the Army's Human Resources Command. "We are tightening the system, reaching the people and bringing them in."

Masters said most of the requests for exemptions are likely to be denied: "To get an exemption, it has to be a very compelling case, such as a severe medical condition."

The figures are the first on the IRR call-up. They reflect the challenges the Pentagon faces in trying to find enough troops for ongoing operations and show resistance among some servicemembers who returned to civilian life.

The ready reserve is an infrequently used pool of former soldiers who can be called to duty in a national emergency or war. On June 29, the Army announced it would call 5,674 members of its IRR back to active duty this year and next.

Several of those who received recall notices have already been declared AWOL (absent without official leave) and technically are considered deserters. "We are not in a rush to put someone in the AWOL category," Masters said. "We contact them and convince them it is in their best interests to show up. If you are a deserter, it can affect you the rest of your life."

Fourteen people were listed as AWOL last week; six subsequently told the Army they would report. Punishment for being AWOL is up to the unit commander and can include prison time and dishonorable discharge, said Col. Joseph Curtin, an Army spokesman

With a force that generals say is stretched thin, the Army is considering $1,000-a-month bonuses to ex-soldiers who volunteer to return for overseas duty.

Ready reservists are soldiers who were honorably discharged after finishing their active-duty tours, usually four to six years, but remain part of the IRR for the rest of their original eight-year commitment. The IRR call-up is the first major one in 13 years, since 20,277 troops were ordered back for the Persian Gulf War.

ELVIS
09-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Nice title...:rolleyes:

FORD
09-28-2004, 01:35 PM
".....If you are a deserter, it can affect you the rest of your life...."

Unless your last name is Bush.

lms2
09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
"We contact them and convince them it is in their best interests to show up. If you are a deserter, it can affect you the rest of your life."

With a force that generals say is stretched thin, the Army is considering $1,000-a-month bonuses to ex-soldiers who volunteer to return for overseas duty.

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
What the article fails to mention is that once seperated from the military, soldiers return to the workforce...return to school...return to Life.

They don't shirk their responsibilities like the article is trying to point out. When I raised my hand and swore to defend the Constitution I did so seriously without reservation. I knew there was a possiblilty that I could get called into combat. Then again...there might not be any military action. It was a risk that I took to defend this great nation against enemies foreign and domestic. An oath that shouldn't be taken lightly.

FORD
09-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Congratulations on your first worthwhile post.

frets5150
09-28-2004, 01:53 PM
“ "We contact them and convince them it is in their best interests to show up. If you are a deserter, it can affect you the rest of your life." ”

Umm That sounds familiar the M A F I A maybe...

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
No...it sounds like the obligation that they signed up for!

If you don't like it...don't sign up for it.

FORD
09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

From my reading of the article... and other recent articles I have read, it would appear that the obligation they had signed up for had been fulfilled. Now the BCE is asking them to extend that duty and making it sound like AWOL or desertion if they do not comply.

If this is the case, then it's a DRAFT, as voluntary service no longer applies.

ELVIS
09-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Spin it FORD...

frets5150
09-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

True very true but once your in your in.

FORD
09-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Spin it FORD...

How is this a spin......
Fewer than two-thirds of the former soldiers being reactivated for duty

"Former" means they used to be. "Reactivated" means not active. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that these soldiers have done the duty they signed up for and that any choice to sign up again should be voluntary, as should the choice to decline. They are not AWOL nor are they deserters if the duty that they signed on for is completed.

Now on the other hand, Junior himself never completed his 6 year obligation to the Texas ANG. This means that he *is* subject to reactivation, and I recommend his ass be placed on the front line in Fallujah.

ELVIS
09-28-2004, 02:28 PM
I thought you could read ?!?

Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)

Did you read that part ??

Take off the liberal blinders for a second, my friend...

FORD
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I thought you could read ?!?

Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)

Did you read that part ??

Take off the liberal blinders for a second, my friend...

How about your blinders?

If they have to dig this deep just to put bodies on the ground in Iraq (to avoid a draft before the election) then why isn't the question being asked....

Who the FUCK is defending the USA??

If the regular military, the Reserves, the National Guard, and the IRR, which would be the backup of the backup's backup are out of the country, then who the Hell is HERE?

So we have "experts" telling us that an Al Qaeda attack is a "high probablity" before the election (5 weeks away) and there's nobody to secure America because Dipshit and his cabal of treasonous Likud shitheads made a mess that they can't clean up, in a country that NEVER WAS A FUCKING THREAT TO THE UNITED STATES???

And you think people will vote for that stupid assed son of a bitch again??

ELVIS
09-28-2004, 02:45 PM
No matter what, President Bush will be fairly re-elected...

Seriously dude, you should cut down on the curse words...

Cursing is not helping your cause, it's hurting it...

frets5150
09-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
How about your blinders?

If they have to dig this deep just to put bodies on the ground in Iraq (to avoid a draft before the election) then why isn't the question being asked....

Who the FUCK is defending the USA??

If the regular military, the Reserves, the National Guard, and the IRR, which would be the backup of the backup's backup are out of the country, then who the Hell is HERE?

So we have "experts" telling us that an Al Qaeda attack is a "high probablity" before the election (5 weeks away) and there's nobody to secure America because Dipshit and his cabal of treasonous Likud shitheads made a mess that they can't clean up, in a country that NEVER WAS A FUCKING THREAT TO THE UNITED STATES???

And you think people will vote for that stupid assed son of a bitch again??

Bravo Fucking Bravo

Dr. Love
09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Man, I hope this drives my gas price down.

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by FORD
From my reading of the article... and other recent articles I have read, it would appear that the obligation they had signed up for had been fulfilled. Now the BCE is asking them to extend that duty and making it sound like AWOL or desertion if they do not comply.

If this is the case, then it's a DRAFT, as voluntary service no longer applies.

Then you might want to talk to an armed services recruiter and be sure to ask about the IRR. When you sign up it's for an 8 year hitch. If you're active duty for 4 years and get out fine, but you still have 4 more years where you can serve in the reserves on the weekends and 2 weeks a year or go inactive and they can call you up for the remaining 4 year balance.

They're not calling people up that have served out their commitment.

lms2
09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Does anyone even understand the word commitment anymore? I hate getting in on this argument because it is disrepectful to the many men and women who serve with our country with pride, honor and dignity...

This issue is no different than the reservists who cried like babies when they were called out for desert storm. Too many people want to dance, but no one wants to pay the band.

Warham
09-28-2004, 03:50 PM
There are probably specific numbers of troops they have to keep stateside, as well as in other parts of the globe, like Europe, etc. They aren't pulling already active troops from their spots. They are activating Guardsmen and IRR.

lms2
09-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Baghdad, Iraq, (AP)

Two U.S. Soldiers have been charged with murder in the death of an Iraqi civilian, the 1st Calvary Division announced Monday.

A military statement identified the soldiers as Staff Sgt. Johnny Horne, Jr. and Staff Sgt. Cardenas Alban, both from Company C, 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment from Fort Riley, Kansas.

The military declined to provide details about the case, saying an investigation is ongoing.

Ft. Riley spokeswoman Sam Robinson said Horne, 30, of Winston-Salem, N.C. and ALban, 29, of Carson, Calif., were both on their second tour of duty in Iraq with the unit.

The statement from the 1st Calvary Division said the alleged indicents are not related to murder charges filed against Sgt. Michael Williams and Spc. Brent May from the same unit. They were charged in the deaths of three Iraqis, the military announced last week. Williams was also charged with obstruction of justice and making a false official statement, the military said.

DrMaddVibe
09-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Maybe they wanted 3 Purple Hearts and a Silver Star medal like Lurch!