PDA

View Full Version : computer recording software

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Hi Yah,
Wondering if any of you guys could assist me with suggesting some software thats easy to use.
Thanks ALot,
Bill

sambo
09-29-2004, 02:40 AM
I use Pro Tools software and either a M-Box or Digi 002 I/O. Pro Tools took me a little bit to get used to, coming from an analog background, but it is very logical and well thought out recording software. If starting out, you can also get some very good books/manuals on Pro Tools to get a little deeper into some of the intricacies of the program. Pro Tools can do quite a lot...

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 02:57 AM
thanks alot :)

Panamark
09-29-2004, 04:31 AM
What about Cakewalk Sambo ??

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 05:10 AM
whats cakewalk?

Figs
09-29-2004, 10:05 AM
I got "Cool Edit" with my Echo-Gina soundcard. I think it's pretty good, although Cakewalk and ProTools are more well known. I mostly record direct using the effects from my POD, so Cool Edit works good enough for my screwing around.

sambo
09-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
What about Cakewalk Sambo ??

Never used it...any good? My previous singer/guitarist used Pro Tools so I kinda got hooked on it...and he made it look really easy. Our old bassist was a Cubase fan but never really got into that either...

BrownSound1
09-30-2004, 01:38 AM
I got Cubase....it's a'ight. Hell anything that's out these days is better than what I used to record with, i.e. a Tascam PortaOne 4 track. I remember how they used to tell you to bounce tracks and what not on the old 4-tracks, and you always lost an assload of sound quality on the bounced ones. These days it is SO simple, and no loss of quality...no fucking with cassette tapes, effects plug ins out the ass. We have recording capabilities on average computers now that would have made the big studios in the 80's jealous.

I'll tell you what I don't have a lot of, and that is good quality microphones. I've got the SM57 and 58 covered, as all guitarists should, but I'm talking about vocal mics like a Neuman U47 or a CAD or whatever. Of course I don't sing, and mainly do instrumental shit, but I'd still like to have that ability to record a great vocal.

sambo
09-30-2004, 01:43 AM
I know what you mean about the Tascam. I used to record on an old Tascam 244 - my first 4 track. Recording guitars, you needed to be an octopus to do it all yourself - I don't miss that. It did have a great EQ though, and for that reason I still have it.

I have a Porta 01 that I keep handy for ideas etc. It's just easy to plug in and record a riff whilst sitting in your loungeroom.

Panamark
09-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by sambo
Never used it...any good? My previous singer/guitarist used Pro Tools so I kinda got hooked on it...and he made it look really easy. Our old bassist was a Cubase fan but never really got into that either...

Nah ! I havent used it all, just read a lot of references to it.
I was hoping you knew about it, is Cubase a cakewalk product,
I wonder ????

sambo
09-30-2004, 02:57 AM
no mate, different software

One of my mates loves Cubase but he is more of a keyboard player as opposed to a guitar player. The following may be of interest.

Cubase
http://www.steinberg.net/ProductPage_sb.asp?Product_ID=2442&Langue_ID=7

Cakewalk
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/GuitarTracksPro/default.asp

Pro Tools
http://www.protools.com/products/le/basics/

Free version of Pro Tools to try
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

Panamark
09-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Onya Sambo !

Thats sorting the wheat from the chaff ;)

I was actually thinking of buying one of those
Zoom multitrack hard disk recorders, you think
Pro Tools is a cheaper/better option ??

pete
09-30-2004, 08:00 AM
I use Pro Tools software and either a M-Box or Digi 002 I/O. Pro Tools took me a little bit to get used to, coming from an analog background, but it is very logical and well thought out recording software. If starting out, you can also get some very good books/manuals on Pro Tools to get a little deeper into some of the intricacies of the program. Pro Tools can do quite a lot...

I use ProTools and it is the best. If you want a program that doesn't require hardware (protools does). Cool Edit Pro is good. can record up to 64 tracks. There is a program out called NUENDO. It is VERY similar to protools, has built in, real time effects and supports midi too. I hear it's good and you will get close to pro sound.

Also don't scrimp on the mic's. get good mics. spend a grand. I spent 14 grand. It's the difference between recorded sound, and thinking someone is singing or playing right next to you.

Good luck with recording.

I live for it.

pete
09-30-2004, 08:03 AM

Free version of Pro Tools to try
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

will not work on windows 2000, NT, XP

Panamark
09-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Whats your favourite mic's for guitar and vocals, Pete, Im guessing,
Shure's.. What models ?

sambo
09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Onya Sambo !

Thats sorting the wheat from the chaff ;)

I was actually thinking of buying one of those
Zoom multitrack hard disk recorders, you think
Pro Tools is a cheaper/better option ??

Yep, go Pro Tools, you can always get upgrades for your software. You know technology dates so quickly therefore a Zoom (or equivalent) will probably be superseded in a year or so...

pete
09-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Whats your favourite mic's for guitar and vocals, Pete, Im guessing,
Shure's.. What models ?

actually the sm 5x's are good for live. and the limitations of them work well when you're working in protools/digital recording. It adds warmth in the unforgiving environment digital recording is. Due to the lack of quality by today's standards.

Micing Guitars. Manley's are great. senheiser's. (manley's are cheaper). and of course pop filters. for the uninitalted, take pantyhose and wrap it around a frame. put it in front of the mic to avoid pops from singing P's.

When I record I have a guy who handles the production aspect. but I pickup what I can. really protools is the way to go. Whatever you feel about the songs I've recorded you cannot deny the quality.

For 5g's you can record in fidelity 2x cd quality. then when you're done (mixing mastering) you downsample it to cd quality it sounds awesome.

Our studio is worth alot more. we built the studio structure and the shape of the room is important. You never record in a box room. You never record in a room with square angles to avoid standing waves.

our studio is actually shaped like a cone.

Panamark
10-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Does Protools have built in Drums ??

sambo
10-07-2004, 04:03 AM
No, it has a click but you can get plug ins and use midi.

I just use an old Alesis SR-16 drum machine straight in... sounds better IMO.

Panamark
10-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Fuck Midi !! :)

Well theres an adantage that the Zoom HDD multitracks have....

Panamark
10-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Id rather buy a kit than fuck with midi drums

sambo
10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Agreed, I'm not a fan of midi drums either, to me they sound shallow and lifeless... the Alesis drum machine is great and easy to use.. you can get them from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64380&item=3751797090&rd=1

But you can't beat miking a kit..

pete
10-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Does Protools have built in Drums ??

protools doesn't have built-in anything. You have to buy the effects plug-ins. amp emulators. (you can make an acoustic sound like a marshall stack) but it get's costly.

The results are (to quote friend of mine) stellar.

sambo
10-07-2004, 08:20 PM
and the more plug ins, the more drain on your PC. I predominately use my outboard effects that I would use live and then go straight in. I only use EQ and noise gate plug ins for the most part, unless trying out some wierd sounds. I prefer this as I am comfortable and familiar with my own rig and use P/Tools as a recording and mastering tool.