PDA

View Full Version : Troops 'Terrified' of a Kerry Presidency

Sgt Schultz
09-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Iraq Marine: Troops 'Terrified' of a Kerry Presidency

U.S. troops on the ground in Iraq are "terrified" at the prospect that Americans back home might elect John Kerry president, a Marine and Iraq veteran who is on his way back to the front lines said Monday.

Asked how Kerry's election would affect troop morale in the combat zone, Lance Cpl. Lawrence Romack told KWEL Midland, Texas, radio host Craig Anderson, "It would destroy it."

"We're pretty terrified of a John Kerry presidency," added Romack, who served with the 1st Marine Tank Battalion in Iraq.
The Iraq war vet said he fears that most of the news coverage is being skewed to make the mission look like a failure in order to give the Kerry campaign a boost.

"What they're trying to do is get Kerry into the White House, because they know he doesn't want us to stay [in Iraq]," he told Anderson.

Asked if Americans back home were getting an accurate picture of what's happening in the war, the Marine corporal said: "No, they're not. It's not even close. All the press wants to report is casualty counts. They don't want to report the progress we're making over there."

Romack noted that in the southern part of the country, Iraqis welcomed U.S. troops when they set up an immunization programs for children, opened schools and began distributing food.

"Almost immediately people were lining up to get their kids shots," he told Anderson.

Contrary to reports that the general population was too afraid to help ferret out insurgents, Romack said, "We had Iraqis pointing out former Baath Party members for us to arrest."

When the KWEL host opened up the phone lines, a member of the 82nd Airborne who had returned from Iraq in March was first on the line.

He agreed with Cpl. Romack that media reports coming out of Iraq were often inaccurate – and sometimes even dangerous.

"The news media – sometimes I felt like I had as much to fear from them as I did the Iraqis," he complained.

Cathedral
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
This jives with my chats with a few soldiers, and i'm inclined to take the word of a soldier over a media outlet...Even Fox News.

Good News just isn't News to the media.

ODShowtime
09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I want to ask my friend in the 101st Airborne that recently returned from Iraq about his thoughts, but I don't want to upset him, you know? He worked a mounted machine gun at roadblocks. He was supposed to destory engines if necessary. I hope he never had to use the thing.

Anyway, I want to get his views on the ground, but I feel bad making him bring up memories that I assume are a little rough.

knuckleboner
09-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
This jives with my chats with a few soldiers, and i'm inclined to take the word of a soldier over a media outlet...Even Fox News.

Good News just isn't News to the media.

i don't know...ask Sarge...he might just have a different opinion...

though, i agree on the media. not just on war. negative news always "sells" better than positive.

in my arena, it means nobody trusts politicians, because all they hear about are the bad ones...

Wayne L.
09-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I think Kerry is terrified of a John Kerry presidency which is why he's going to lose the election by about 4 or 5 points against President Bush in November.

Mezro
09-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Iraq Marine: Troops 'Terrified' of a Kerry Presidency

All Humans: terrified of Teresa Heinz Kerry.

Mezro...here she comes...looking like the hairy ass of a deceased insurgent...