PDA

View Full Version : Euroweenies Won't Help U.S. in Iraq if Kerry Wins

Sgt Schultz
09-29-2004, 02:23 PM
John Kerry says the Iraq was is the wrong war at the wrong time etc etc - so why the hell should current Euroweenies help the U.S. if Kerry is elected?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
European honeymoon won't happen for Kerry
John Vinocur IHT
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

PARIS A participant on the sidelines of talks in Berlin between Chancellor Gerhard Schröder and Richard Holbrooke, a would-be secretary of state in a John Kerry presidency, told a story about the meeting and the theme of how a Kerry-friendly Europe would leap to America's aid in bringing stability to Iraq. (Or maybe hide under the bed.)

"Schröder," the American said, "asked Holbrooke what Kerry would do if he were elected. Holbrooke replied one of the first things would be to get on the phone and invite him and President Jacques Chirac to the White House. The chancellor laughed out loud. Then he said, 'That's what I was afraid of.'"

The participant recalled the moment as very jolly. Everybody in the chancellor's office, including Holbrooke, a former ambassador to Germany, joined in the chuckles.

That was in June, when the subject was still handled elliptically. Early in September, a German official, asked privately by a visitor if Kerry's claim of good relations with Europe could get him a German military presence in Iraq, stifled a guffaw; an explicit response, but wordless, and difficult to transcribe.

But last week, just after Kerry's major speech on the war in which he insisted that the United States "must make Iraq the world's responsibility" and that others "should share the burden," Schröder's sense of courtesy collided with reality and he drove a spike into the notion. He told reporters, "We won't send any German soldiers to Iraq, and that's where it's going to remain."

Clear? A faint irony slips in at this point. For many Europeans, the problem in making sense of Kerry's speech was not Schröder's rather predictable reply, but how much delusion or candor there was in the Democrat's campaign promise to enlist countries opposed to the war to bail out the United States militarily. Add to that the candidate's linked idea of leveraging a notional European military presence into a pullout by some American troops as early as next summer. It seemed enough to make Kerry's continental friends cringe.

On one hand, Kerry pleased America's recalcitrant Allies here and in Berlin by describing the situation in Iraq as they do: one of chaos and a crisis of historic proportions. But Kerry's thinking on getting the United States free of the mess, as encapsulated by the anti-Bush Süddeutsche Zeitung, seemed chillingly like, Yanks out, Allies in, Iraq to the Iraqis.

All this was followed two days later - perhaps confusingly to Europeans looking for murmurs of unexpected American humility - by a Kerry statement in which he explained that the plans he had laid out were, in reality, "steps to win the war, not to change, not to retreat, steps to win."

It would be wrong to say that Kerry is losing his popular backing in France or Germany, but he has not done much deep convincing that his American foreign policy, Iraq included, would represent a Golden Multilateral Dawn.

In London last week, a Blair government cabinet minister said he could not see much significant difference between Kerry and Bush on Iraq, Iran or a quasi-obsessional European issue like America's refusal to accept the Kyoto environmental agreement. A French official, talking earlier in September, was not far off this line. Elsewhere, an American supporter of Kerry, who visited with Schröder, complained that, over the last month, the Germans "appear to have become resigned to a Bush victory and are rationalizing it by saying it's the same thing pretty much whoever wins."

In any case, German experts have told the chancellor to reckon with four more years of Bush. This is also the palpable although deniable premise in Paris and London.

So, suggesting that with Kerry's big Iraq statement under their belts it was now a good time for the Allies to ask themselves who would be a better American president for them, Süddeutsche pointed the question rhetorically at Gerhard Schröder, and then responded in his stead.

"The answer: Bush," the newspaper, a constant critic of the president, wrote.

As for the Democrat, Süddeutsche said Kerry "is suggesting that he can produce a little miracle and seduce America's battered friends into high-yield performances along the lines of Washington's wishes." For all of Kerry's opportunity to create a foreign policy with greater credibility and legitimacy, that was not realistic, it said. Schröder couldn't send Bundeswehr troops to Iraq, and there would be "no morning-after special gift for a President Kerry."

It's here that discomfort about what Kerry has been telling America gets a little edgy for governments he would normally count as silent European supporters. It's hard to see how Kerry might miss that, for Schröder, nothing would be more counterinstinctive in domestic political terms than ditching two years before new elections his single pledge as chancellor - staying out of Iraq - that has the support of a wide majority of German voters.

Similar considerations also work for France. It would take exceptional sophistry for President Jacques Chirac to explain putting French lives on the line in Iraq. Besides, sidling up to any American president would not appear to have much appeal to Chirac at a time when Le Figaro says he's busy promoting himself as successor to Nehru and Nasser in leading the "nonaligned world."

But a seat at six different conferences on Iraq's future is a different matter. The French love conferences. This seems to be a Kerry project, but the trouble is the Bush administration has already camped out on that multilateral terrain, proposing over the weekend that Iraq, its neighbors, and G-8 members like France, Germany and Russia get together sometime in October at the foreign minister level to discuss where the country is going.

Uncomfortably, this has nothing really to do with the Americans' unresolved, house-to-house task of restoring security and stability to places like Falluja and Sadr City, the basis for any serious talk about eventual French or German involvement.

Asked about his view of the American presidential election, Chirac's former foreign minister, Hubert Védrine, who first described U.S. unilateralism as a central global problem during the eight "hyperpower" years of the Clinton administration, said it was a shame the rest of the planet could not vote.

It was "sad" to see, Vedrine said, how these Americans, this "nice people" ("peuple attachant" in French), were drowned in propaganda and "cut off from the rest of the world." The term is used in French travel literature, with seeming condescension, to describe interesting savages or exotic but childlike ethnic groups.

Warham
09-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Everybody thinks Kerry is God's gift to foreign policy.

The problem is not Bush, but those other terrorist-appeasing countries we have to deal with on a daily basis.

FORD
09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Warham

The problem is not Bush, but those other terrorist-appeasing countries we have to deal with on a daily basis.

Yeah, but what do Israel and Saudi Arabia have to do with this thread? :confused:

Sgt Schultz
09-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Yeah, but what do Israel and Saudi Arabia have to do with this thread? :confused:

Nothing, so why mention them?

FORD
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, those are the only "terrorist appeasing countries we deal with on a daily basis" that I can think of. I guess you can throw in Poodle and John Howard, since they appease the BCE, but I wouldn't dare assume the same of the British or Australian people.

Big Train
09-29-2004, 07:01 PM
We "Fucked them" out of their Saddam kickback oil money and cut them out of the reconstruction. There is NOBODY who could get them together period.

BigBadBrian
09-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
John Kerry says the Iraq was is the wrong war at the wrong time etc etc - so why the hell should current Euroweenies help the U.S. if Kerry is elected?

Good question......damn good question. He promises to bring in "America's Allies" to help if he's elected. What if they tell him to pack sand? What's his Plan B? Any libs want to answer this? Huh?

Warham
09-30-2004, 07:00 AM
There is no Plan B.

Switch84
09-30-2004, 07:47 AM
:mad: I believe Kerry already showed the Eurotrashies(and his fellow Americans) his true colors when he shitted on his own military with the Vietnam "war criminals" drivel.

Israel a 'terrorist appeasing' country? Come ON, Ford! The Israelis are supposed to lie back and let Hamas and Arafat's suicide bombers kill the Jewish settlers?

ELVIS
09-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Yeah, FORD claims to be a Christian but he's anti-Israel...

BigBadBrian
09-30-2004, 08:18 AM
There is no Plan B.

Exactly. Sesh? Jano? Frenchie? What is your opinion on this? Gonna send more of your people to Iraq if Kerry is President and he asks you to?

Switch84
09-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

:D ;) Hoo boy! That's like being a card-carrying zealot of PETA and wearing leather pants while grubbing on a Porterhouse steak.

Cathedral
09-30-2004, 09:30 AM
There is no Plan B.

Oh he has a plan-B, it's called "Pulling Out" and "Bringing our troops home" and single handedly "Fucking" the Iraqi's in the ass before the job is done.

The difference between Bush and Kerry is the difference between shooting a bullet, and throwing it.

I cannot wait till tonight, Kerry will lose half his support before the debate is over.

frets5150
09-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Exuse me but don't you think we have helped enough countries already.That is why we are in the situation we are in. I think it is
about time we just start minding our own buissness.

Cathedral
09-30-2004, 09:51 AM
I knd of agree, but i think that it is more time for some of those countries to re-pay the debt they owe us, instead of thumbing their noses at us because they got busted profiting from U.N./Iraq programs.

Sure a snake is a cool pet, but play with it long enough and the fucker will bite you without hesitation.

Some deal in conspiracy, I search for facts, and that is no easy task.
I'll say this, you'll find very little fact in the liberal party, and how they keep from getting dizzy spinning everything around is beyond me.

jcook11
10-02-2004, 01:00 AM
We are the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA the BADDEST MOTHERFUCKER ON THE PLANET. do I have your vote or not?

FORD
10-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Show me the Scripture that says I have to side with a right wing extremist fascist government who brutally murders civillians in order to be a Christian.

ELVIS
10-02-2004, 01:30 AM
LMAO!

Jano
10-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Exactly. Sesh? Jano? Frenchie? What is your opinion on this? Gonna send more of your people to Iraq if Kerry is President and he asks you to?

If you think that we're so bad what do you send our plutonium to us?That's political bullshit,BUSH,CHIRAC, SHARON or whatever the names of thoses leaders are, they don't give a shit about us they just want the power and the glory that's all.That's my opinion,you like it or not a could care less, body!Who are you to give the european a lesson?Learn your history and you may be one of us!

Seshmeister
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM

I think the general opinion is that Kerry is less bad and a safer pair of hands.

Blair has taken a terrible hit from Iraq but is in more danger from his own party than the opposition who are seen as unelectable. He's likely to concentrate on domestic affairs for the next year no matter who wins in the US to consolidate before our next election.

DrMaddVibe
10-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Look we broke France. Germany, Russia and Korea's piggy bank. They profitted BILLIONS from back dealings with Saddam. His UN oil-for-food program was ripe with payola. Now we're not letting them in on the reconstruction, why should we?

They've already said they're not sending troops no matter who wins the upcoming election. They were wrong with WWI,WWII,Korean War, Vietnam, former Yugoslavia and now with Iraq. They're slow to act and allow mass genocide, severe troop casualties and don't know how to win a military conflict. France would be speaking German twice over if it wasn't for American blood. All of Korea would be a Chineese staging point, America never would've entered into Vietnam without France's pleas for assistance,Bosnia wouldn't have been "resolved" without us and now Iraq is no longer a threat to the region. Nevermind the fact that Saddam pissed on 17 UN resoloutions that stated they'd use military force, nevermind the fact that he invaded his neighbors, nevermind the fact that he launched missles into Saudi Arabia, Israel,Iran,Kuwait and Turkey.

The question we should be asking is why we think that France,Germany,Russia and Korea are our friends! In a greedy standpoint I'm willing to say, "what have you done for the USA...lately?". I'm glad that we live in the US, and that we will see this mess in Iraq through. We will be stronger for doing so, and the world in that region might get the concept of democracy.

Seshmeister
10-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by frets5150
Exuse me but don't you think we have helped enough countries already.That is why we are in the situation we are in. I think it is
about time we just start minding our own buissness.

I love your picture there.

So your definition of 'free' is being illegally invaded by the US who then install a CIA operative as your Prime Minister?

It's Central America all over again...

BigBadBrian
10-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Jano
Who are you to give the european a lesson?Learn your history and you may be one of us!

:rolleyes: Be one of you? It doesn't take much to learn how to throw down your weapons and run, does it? :gulp:

BTW - you need to learn to type better ENGLISH and make yourself better understood Froggy, I simply couldn't make beans or applesauce from your silly little post. ;)

Jano
10-05-2004, 07:51 AM
:rolleyes: Be one of you? It doesn't take much to learn how to throw down your weapons and run, does it? :gulp:

BTW - you need to learn to type better ENGLISH and make yourself better understood Froggy, I simply couldn't make beans or applesauce from your silly little post. ;)

You think that you're so much better than european,you 're so funny.What's the must for an american to own? a BMW, a Mercedes, a ferrari,the parfum(Saint Laurent,Givenchy,Chanel,Hermes.....),all the make up from France and i don't even talk about the champagne,the restaurant and the pastry!Before talking shit, learn your history and tell me who helped you at first for your freedom and independence?
You're too funny,but that's what we 're expecting from a clown?

Honeyhunter
10-05-2004, 09:41 AM
So I had a buddy in prison up in NC…Bladen if I remember right…any way he calls me the other day. After I crawled out from under my hog of an ole lady…he says hey…you ever heard that Edwards talk. I was like sure…he said listen to him he has that pecker paralysis lip lisp thing going on…after I laughed for a second he swore up and down that he remembers a dude coming to Bladen to service some of the hard core’s….Edwards in nothing more than a truck stop/rest area ho hound…with a behind hole the size of a moon crater…

ODShowtime
10-05-2004, 09:59 AM
You think that you're so much better than european,you 're so funny.What's the must for an american to own? a BMW, a Mercedes, a ferrari,the parfum(Saint Laurent,Givenchy,Chanel,Hermes.....),all the make up from France and i don't even talk about the champagne,the restaurant and the pastry!Before talking shit, learn your history and tell me who helped you at first for your freedom and independence?
You're too funny,but that's what we 're expecting from a clown?

Oh god, where would we be without French perfume and make-up? Spammy would have to tune down his style a bit.

That's too easy bustin' on the French and Spam at the same time :)

Honeyhunter
10-05-2004, 10:47 AM
The French are nothing more than canine anal raping phonies….in fact if you ain’t from the British Isles phuck off…the Russians the Moore’s and oh yes….us hot dog eating pot bellied rascals have kicked Europe’s ass for ever…but then again you powdered wig wearing non hind end wiping freaks would like that…

Jano
10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Oh god, where would we be without French perfume and make-up? Spammy would have to tune down his style a bit.

That's too easy bustin' on the French and Spam at the same time :)

You'll be an ugly,stinky egomaniac!
By the way Spammy is an american,great!lollllll!!

Jano
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Honeyhunter
The French are nothing more than canine anal raping phonies….in fact if you ain’t from the British Isles phuck off…the Russians the Moore’s and oh yes….us hot dog eating pot bellied rascals have kicked Europe’s ass for ever…but then again you powdered wig wearing non hind end wiping freaks would like that…
Honeyhunter is just another shithead!

ODShowtime
10-05-2004, 01:01 PM
You'll be an ugly,stinky egomaniac!
By the way Spammy is an american,great!lollllll!!

Jano, jano, jano... stink is in the nose of the beholder. I'd rather smell like cheeseburgers than reek of flowers and oils like some kansas city faggot!

ahem, you are correct about spam's origin, although he seems quite happy down in Mexico.

Jano
10-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Jano, jano, jano... stink is in the nose of the beholder. I'd rather smell like cheeseburgers than reek of flowers and oils like some kansas city faggot!

ahem, you are correct about spam's origin, although he seems quite happy down in Mexico.

Don't worry my friend,i'm just having fun.I'm not an ennemy, but do you really smell like a cheeseburger? lolllll!
Keep in peace bro!

ODShowtime
10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Don't worry my friend,i'm just having fun.I'm not an ennemy, but do you really smell like a cheeseburger? lolllll!
Keep in peace bro!

Just fuckin' around too, jano. do you ever smell like french perfume?

BigBadBrian
10-06-2004, 07:25 PM

No, he probably smells like unwashed hairy beast...much like your girlfriend. :D

Jano
10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
No, he probably smells like unwashed hairy beast...much like your girlfriend. :D
You don't belong here,a real DAVE's fan can't be that stupid and racist !

Jano
10-07-2004, 07:32 AM

Not,my two favorite parfum are Hugo(boss) and eternity(klein)!

ODShowtime
10-07-2004, 09:20 AM

whew! a two-fer! That would sting if I had a gf!:rolleyes:

Sgt Schultz
10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Kerry says Franco-German troops unlikely

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry conceded yesterday that he probably will not be able to convince France and Germany to contribute troops to Iraq if he is elected president.

The Massachusetts senator has made broadening the coalition trying to stabilize Iraq a centerpiece of his campaign, but at a town hall meeting yesterday, he said he knows other countries won't trade their soldiers' lives for those of U.S. troops.

"Does that mean allies are going to trade their young for our young in body bags? I know they are not. I know that," he said.

Asked about that statement later, Mr. Kerry said, "When I was referring to that, I was really talking about Germany and France and some of the countries that had been most restrained."

"Other countries are obviously more willing to accept responsibilities," he added, as he took questions from reporters in a school yard in Tipton, Iowa.

Even before Mr. Kerry made his admission, France and Germany had made it clear that their absolute opposition to sending troops to Iraq was not a political calculation involving the U.S. election.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has categorically ruled out sending any soldiers, even to protect U.N. officials overseeing new elections, adding that "that's where it's going to remain." French Foreign Minister Michel Barnier said his government will not send troops "either now or later."

Warham
10-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Like all of Kerry's proposals, this one won't work.