PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Eddie's guitars?

kcmusician
10-01-2004, 01:33 AM
First he's with Kramer, then Peavey, now Charvel.... Why can't he make a guitar that a poor man like myself can afford? I mean fuck, I've bought all the albums he's made.... Cut me a little slack or some shit! Damn you Eddie!

Shaun

DLRdelight!
10-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Because good guitars arnt cheap my friend. But then again he just wants money

Panamark
10-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Well how do you explain Ed's first guitars that he recorded
the masterpieces on ?? The frankenstrats, he used to boast
abut putting then together for less than $200 dollars..

ELVIS
10-01-2004, 08:24 AM
$200 was a bit of a stretch even in 1976 dollars...

He did use brand name parts on his first Frankenstrat, not sears crap....

BlimpyCHIMP™
10-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I USE MY PARTS ALL THE TIME AND THEY FUNCTION VERY WELL SO IM TOLD

HAHAHHAAA

Vai7
10-03-2004, 12:00 PM
He DID only use 200 $ on it. both neck and body were made of some great wood but because it was made by some small companys it wasn`t very expensive and you have to remember that the pickup was taken from his es335 so the pickup doesn`t count plus most of his sound actually came form his amp.

BrownSound1
10-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Dude, I do not agree about the tone thing at all. Sure having a great amp helps, but you can't take a fucking Harmony guitar, plug into a Plexi, and have a killer tone. You've got to have good sounding stuff from top to bottom, because they are all pieces to the puzzle.

Brett
10-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Ed's original Frank was hardly shit. It had good fucking parts on it, starting with that old PAF.

Boogie Bodies who later sold their stuff to Charvel, sold Ed the neck and body, and they were both choice. They just happened to be a no name back then, we'd all kill for that vintage shit now at a reasonable price.

I agree with BS1. Shit guitars sound like shit, I don't care what kind of amp setup you have. Plug one of those plywood Rogue guitars into an old Marshall amp, and then plug an EBMM or a Wolfie into one and see the difference.

Matt White
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Plug 'er in!!!!

GAR
10-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Boogie Bodies who later sold their stuff to Charvel, sold Ed the neck and body, and they were both choice. They just happened to be a no name back then, we'd all kill for that vintage shit now at a reasonable price.

Don't believe that shit you read on the Wayne Charvel website, Dave Law sold Ed parts, strings and albums before Doctor Music, when they were Much Music in Sierra Madre in back of the old theater.

If you want to verify that, you can call Dave at Crossroads Music in Monrovia, CA. he's known Ed now for a long long time.

Brett
10-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Didn't read it on his site, probably just shit I've heard over the years.

I used to go to Dr. Music all the time, Much Music must have been before my time.

Whatever the truth may be, point is the parts weren't shit by any stretch.

diamond den™
10-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kcmusician
First he's with Kramer, then Peavey, now Charvel.... Why can't he make a guitar that a poor man like myself can afford? I mean fuck, I've bought all the albums he's made.... Cut me a little slack or some shit! Damn you Eddie!

Shaun

Valerie wants more Alimony and Child Support that's why Eddie is Whoring his Legacy and Name to just about everything possible.

:(

manwiththedogs
10-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by diamond den™
Valerie wants more Alimony and Child Support that's why Eddie is Whoring his Legacy and Name to just about everything possible.

:(

That`s probably also the best explanation for this past summers little joke as well.

GAR
10-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Didn't read it on his site, probably just shit I've heard over the years.

I used to go to Dr. Music all the time, Much Music must have been before my time.

Ed used to say in fact, that he would stop by Dr Music to check for guitar parts.

Grover Jackson told me that when he first started, there were alot of mistake-bodies and mistake-necks (imperfect seconds) laying around the shop after he bought out Wayne.

He would go by the music stores with the regular deliveries and drop off boxfulls of "seconds", so whoever took 'em, that's where you got 'em.

Even working for Charvel in the early 80's the fuckers wouldn't let me BUY shit.. for cheap even! You would have to dumpster-dive for a second body or neck, and even then you would have a major rework piece on your hands. So this "seconds" bodies and necks thing was a real-deal, but of limited range of time which I'm thinking 1976-77.

Ed had a Les Paul, and an Ibanez Destroyer before THAT "$200 guitar" was even on the horizon in the form of parts, and both those guitars cost much more than that at the time you know..

Brett
10-20-2004, 01:11 AM
Pretty interesting info.

guwapo_rocker
10-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Plug 'er in!!!!

HA! Carry on carry on!!!!:D

Rikk
10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
HA! Carry on carry on!!!!:D

Smooch, smooch. Asskisser. Matt's a Pen administrator now. Don't talk to him.:)

darkknight
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Actually, Boogie Bodies became Warmoth, if I'm not mistaken.

jhale667
10-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Dude, I do not agree about the tone thing at all. Sure having a great amp helps, but you can't take a fucking Harmony guitar, plug into a Plexi, and have a killer tone. You've got to have good sounding stuff from top to bottom, because they are all pieces to the puzzle.

A great amp and guitar helps, but 80% of your tone is in your fingers. You could have a Recto and a Charvel and still sound like ass.

jhale667
10-27-2004, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brett
Ed's original Frank was hardly shit. It had good fucking parts on it, starting with that old PAF.

Boogie Bodies DID become Warmoth; and actually you're mistaken, Brett...Ed's parts were factory SECONDS. Seconds are fully functional but hardly 'choice'---it's what he DID with them that made it rule. Hell, I have a strat made out of Warmoth seconds, I'd dare anyone to pick it out of my line-up....:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
10-30-2004, 11:45 PM
It's all about wood, fit, and setup. My daughter plays a cheap Squire Afinity Strat made in China. The body is a solid piece of wood, not the plywood crap and the neck is suprisingly nice. The bridge was set up hard down EVH style from the factory. The saddles are plated steel.

The original pickups were shit but I put in some real Fender 68 reissue pickups and the thing sounds fuckin great and even stays in tune fairly well. Play Little Wing and it just sings. This is a $90 guitar. I find myself playing it quite a bit and I play Gibsons most the time.

LickMyCream
11-04-2004, 01:52 AM
www.meanstreetguitars.com :D

jackassrock
11-13-2004, 01:14 PM
I can build a guitar for under $400 today that will put most new Fenders, Washburns, Charvels or what ever else to shame. You just gotta know what sound you're going for and get it. Seriously, The pickups they are using these days are shit.

GAR
11-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by jackassrock
Seriously, The pickups they are using these days are shit.

But what about the newer "SCN-S1" pickups Bill Lawrence designed for the 50th Anniversary Stratocaster?

Not bad, I'd say. Fit and finish on that one are fair for the price.

jackassrock
11-16-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm just saying generally they're crappy. Like the standard series pickups.

Anniversary issues and artist signature series usually have an upgrade from the blah sound of the standard pups.