PDA

View Full Version : Felix Trinidad about to reenter the fray for a future shot at Hopkins

POJO_Risin
10-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Tito's back...

Trinidad...after retiring over 2 years ago (with a Hopkins beating fresh in his mind)...is back...ready to roll...against a good fighter as well...that may be a stepping stone to a HUGE rematch with Hopkins...

who will again eat him alive...

We have to remember though...Trinidad WAS considered the best pound for pound until Hopkins leveled him...

Trinidad is only 31 years old...and may have a surprise left for our boy Hopkins down the road...

if he gets there...

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Trinidad in a blow out...

he's seekin' a Hopkins rematch...this is step 1...

Hopkins dodged him a bit after beating him 2 years ago...which led to Tito to puss out and "retire..."

Now we'll see...i think they'll both go after 1 more fight...to drum up interest...

then have a HUGE MONEY FIGHT...

We shall see....

monkeythe
10-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm too cheap to pay for a boxing match when there is another one on for free. On Showtime, Klitchko won by split decision after the bout was stopped after the 5th due to a headbut. He was knocked down once and didn't look too sharp.

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Who did he fight tonight?...I forgot about that fight...not that I missed anyone...

head butt?...oh...was it Golata?

redblkwht
10-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Yeah that 57.99 PPV is redicoulus..
if they want to bring boxing back they have to
cut the price, otherwise they aint going nowhere.

rucalobe
10-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Tito completely destroyed Ricardo "El Matador" (The Hitman) Mayorga throughout the fight, which ended by TKO at 2:38 of the 8th round.

Trinidad did not say who he will fight next but in all probability he will make another preparatory fight before facing Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins (the only guy that has ever defeated -by TKO on the 11th round- Trinidad).

My money is on Trinidad whenever he faces Hopkins. Bernard got lucky last time (Trinidad was facing backlash at home in Puerto Rico -he had a child out of wedlock- and he had to stay at his hotel in NYC for 3 weeks because the FAA had NYC's airspace closed after the 9-11 atttack. Bernard, on the other hand, was able to drive back to Philly and regroup mentally and physically.).

Hopkins is a great fighter but with Tito fresh, strong, and mentally-focused, he will be too much for Bernard (or so I hope!).

Here's the story according to ESPN:

Saturday, October 2, 2004
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Felix "Tito" Trinidad's return to the ring was a knockout success.

Trinidad pummeled Ricardo Mayorga in the eighth round, knocking him down three times before the fight was stopped with 21 seconds to go in the round Saturday night.

In his first fight in more than two years, Trinidad simply overwhelmed the game Mayorga with a barrage of punches, including a left hook that finished the middleweight fight in front of a raucous Madison Square Garden crowd of 17,406.

Trinidad, 42-1 with 35 knockouts, lost the middleweight championship three years ago to Bernard Hopkins. After one more fight, he retired, unable to get a rematch with Hopkins.

Instead, Trinidad spent "the good life" in Puerto Rico, he said. But at 31, he is back and he showed against Mayorga that he is in his prime.

Mayorga never had been knocked down, but he was cut under the left eye in the fifth round, and he had to stop from a low blow to the right thigh in the sixth. Referee Steve Smoger allowed him nearly two minutes to recover with 40 seconds to go in the sixth, but Mayorga never was the same the rest of the way.

Mayorga, of Nicaragua, fell to 26-5-1. He knocked down Trinidad in the third and fought particularly well in the third and fourth rounds.

"I felt good about my performance, but my eye swelled up and I couldn't see some shots," Mayorga said.

wiso327
10-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Trinidad had just crushed that mother fucker of Mayorga tonight on the 8th round by tko...
Good job!!!!

that fucking dork deserve it by a long shot!!!!!

TITO,TITO,TITO,TITO!!!!!!!!

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Trinidad is good for boxing...

and so is Hopkins...

good to see 2 good fighters...not hype...actually have a shot to put it all out there...

Tito-Hopkins 2 should be huge...

I'm hoping they both get there...and Hopkins wins again....to cement his standing...

but...Tito wins...and we get a third in the series...and you know Mosely and De La Hoya will be struggling to get into this somehow...

ALinChainz
10-03-2004, 02:39 AM
And both Mosely and Oscar best stay out of it.

Time is up on the both of them.

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 02:52 AM
But they'll still try...lmfao...

Mosely and Oscar are past their prime...but let's be honest here...they both still command cash...especially De La Floora...

ALinChainz
10-03-2004, 03:02 AM
His best bet would be to drop down at least one weight class.

He can't take it at 160.

Doubt that he will though, and I don't mind him losing.

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
De La Hoya...yeah...but he whined about his "natural" weight...went there...and got his ass kicked...

who knows what he will do now...I would have to imagine being in a "tournament" with Hopkins, Mosely and Trinidad would be something that might get him up to box again...

I think DeLaHoya is one of the most grossly overrated boxers of all time...title shots because of a name...ah well...

ALinChainz
10-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Vastly.

Would have never lived through the Sugar Ray-Tommy Hearns-Hagler era at those weights.

POJO_Risin
10-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Sugar Ray-Tommy Hearns-Marvin Haglar-Roberto Duran...

christ...4 of the greatest from the Welterweight to the Light Heavyweigt divisions...of all time...

I could see Hopkins in there...because he's very similar to Duran...a heavy punch...

Trinidad--is a comer...a mix of Haglar and Hearns...but maybe not as good as either...

hard to tell...

but De La Hoya has Hearns traits...but not the power and the put down ability...