PDA

View Full Version : Gunslingers

Vai7
10-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Who do you like the best? Eddie Van Halen or Steve vai?
Who is the best player? Why?

badhorsie
10-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I enjoy both players ALOT but how can you really compare another persons art to another?

No one is the "best" player everyone likes who they like.

David Van Via
10-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by badhorsie
I enjoy both players ALOT but how can you really compare another persons art to another?

No one is the "best" player everyone likes who they like.

How True.

Originally posted by Vai7

You also can't ask that question without extending it, if you mean who's better NOW I would say Steve Vai, sheerly for the reason Eddie has gone downhill. But if you mean in there primes I would say EVH for all that he did for guitsring as a whole.

Panamark
10-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Steve Vai is one of those guitarists that Im in awe of.
But I dont listen to him on a regular basis, like Yngwie,
he is a brilliant guitarist, but I dont really like his songs.

Ed with Dave.

But Steve over Ed with (Ga y and Spammy)

Don Corleone
10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
I've never really been a big Steve Vai fan. Technically the guy is spectacular, but for me his playing has always been lacking any emotion or feeling.

Saying that at this minute in time he would do to Ed what Al Neri did to Fredo when they went fishing.

Matt White
10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
In his prime, EVH had very few peers. Now, I'd take Rory Gallagher over EVH. And yes, Rory is dead. And he is STILL playing better than EVH at the moment.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

sambo
10-05-2004, 02:46 AM

In his day, Eddie. He had more feel and more raw agression to his playing - a young guy with something to prove and enjoy. I don't even want to comment on Eddie now.

I am a huge fan of Vai, especially his Zappa / EEAS work but I feel he is too technical to watch / listen to for any length of time. I saw him (for the second time now) in Australia w/ Sheehan recently and I had to leave every 30 mins or so as it just did my head in... so precise, hardly a bum note, but lacked a bit of feel and although a guitarist myself, it was a bit intense. But hey that's just me..different strokes...

I also have 2 G3 CDs and Satch seems to have Vai's measure on both groove and tone. Satch has a such a natural groove that Vai, IMO, seems to miss on occasions. Eric Johnson, on the first G3 DVD also just oozes class.

but Vai can just do some amazing shit on the guitar...and he does make my jaw drop... then again I've seen Satch live as well and he does the same.

My opinion, Eddie pre 1985, Satriani now.. Although I can put on any of the Big 6 and lean towards Eddie every time.

Panamark
10-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Sometimes too much is too little.

Coyote
10-05-2004, 03:38 AM

Actually, I prefer players like Brian May, Scott Gorham, Brian "Robbo" Robertson and/or Michael Schenker.

But in terms of which one shaped my playing style/started my search for the ultimate tone: Eddie. Steve's OK, but he's a bit hyper for my taste...

GAR
10-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Schenker

Hendrix

Period

monkeythe
10-08-2004, 11:30 PM
I didn't really know about the greatness of Vai until I saw DAve on the Skyscraper tour. I caught it a few weeks after I saw Ed on the Monstocity of Rock Tour and I must say that Vai performed the Roth era songs much better.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people think that Vai can only shred and play with no emotion. If anything, playing without a singer forces the guitarist to supply the emotion the singer would. In addition, the singer tells you what to feel while the guitarist must make you feel the song without this benefit.

I would recommend that anyone that feels that Vai's music havs no emotion to pick up a copy of the 7th Song album.

pete
10-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by monkeythe
I didn't really know about the greatness of Vai until I saw DAve on the Skyscraper tour. I caught it a few weeks after I saw Ed on the Monstocity of Rock Tour and I must say that Vai performed the Roth era songs much better.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people think that Vai can only shred and play with no emotion. If anything, playing without a singer forces the guitarist to supply the emotion the singer would. In addition, the singer tells you what to feel while the guitarist must make you feel the song without this benefit.

I would recommend that anyone that feels that Vai's music havs no emotion to pick up a copy of the 7th Song album.

Thanks

Vai is the best guitarist alive.

His sound pallette is so broad he can conjure up emotions people never imagined. He can make a guitar puke.

There would be no Vai without EVH. But as a guitarist, he took it much further.

badhorsie
10-09-2004, 01:42 AM
Vai fucking rules plain and simple.

What a brilliant composer .

Hecubus
10-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Not necessarily in this order....

Hecubus
10-11-2004, 11:56 PM

Hecubus
10-12-2004, 12:06 AM
and....

Hecubus
10-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Hecubus
10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
oh yeah....and this guy....

sambo
10-12-2004, 12:10 AM
and...

Hecubus
10-12-2004, 12:10 AM

sambo
10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Try again... apologies...

Hecubus
10-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Great pic of Rhoads, dude.

sambo
10-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Cheers, like to get my hands on one of those guitars too... or a white LP

Not a bad rig...

sambo
10-12-2004, 12:50 AM
One more...

LickMyCream
11-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Eddie.

Would you rather listen to 1984 or The Ultra Zone?

Nitro Express
11-05-2004, 01:07 AM
I refuse to rank guitarists. It's like asking what girl gave you the best sex. Kinda hard to rank if everyone is good. They all bring something unique and wonderful.

I like to be amazed, inspired, and taken for a ride. EVH, Hendrix, Rhoads, SRV, Jimi Page, and a long list of others wowed me.

For me music is in the moment enjoyment. Just like sex. Overanalysis ruins it.

Let the magic take you for a ride and enjoy!

GAR
11-13-2004, 08:43 PM
I was disappointed when Vai was chosen.

I was even more disappointed that he split on Dave.

At least when Dave split on Ed it was because the little fella was wasting on dope, so there's always that old AA cliche' excuse.

What's Vai's? Oh, I was a hired hand?

SO friggen what? I never like his playing nor tone, neithers.