PDA

View Full Version : Israel to soothe troop trauma with marijuana

ELVIS
10-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Sunday October 3, 2004

By Corinne Heller (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041003/3/3nio6.html)

http://www.americanmarijuana.org/ISS.jpg

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli soldiers traumatised by battle with the Palestinians have a new, unconventional weapon to exorcise their nightmares -- marijuana.

Under an experimental programme, Delta-9 tetrohydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient found in the cannabis plant, will be administered to 15 soldiers over the next several months in an effort to fight post-traumatic stress disorder.

Raphael Mechoulam of Jerusalem's Hebrew University, the chief researcher behind a project he described as a world-first, said the chemical could trick the brain into suppressing unwanted memories.

For soldiers haunted by flashbacks of traumatic battle experiences, he said, the drug, administered in liquid form, could be the answer to hundreds of sleepless nights.

"It helps them sleep better, for one thing. These people often wake up from nightmares, and experience sweating or hallucinations," Mechoulam told Reuters.

The army said civilian and military committees had approved the experiment.

Millions of people, mainly war veterans, suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, a psychiatric condition that can develop after experiencing life-threatening events.

MEDICAL USES

Doctors already use so-called medical marijuana to treat nausea among cancer patients, appetite loss among AIDS sufferers and neurological disorders such as Tourette's Syndrome, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.

However, Mechoulam said this is the first time THC would be used to treat post-traumatic stress.

Some of the soldiers slated to take part in the experiment came down with the disorder after experiences confronting a Palestinian uprising which began in 2000. Others are veterans of past Israeli-Arab wars.

Symptoms can be eased by painkillers and psychological treatment but THC could speed up the process, or at least reduce the number of traumatic episodes, said Mechoulam. He was among a group of researchers that first isolated THC in 1964.

"If given two or three times a day, it lasts about six hours at a time," Mechoulam said at his office in the university's School of Pharmacy.

The effects of THC on stress were first discovered by Germany's Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in 2002. Scientists tested it on mice and found THC lessened their fear of electric shocks, because it suppressed their memory of them.

PERMITS REQUIRED

Israel's army usually frowns on cannabis and soldiers caught smoking it can expect to be stripped of their ranks or thrown into military jail. Special government authorisation was needed for the experiment.

"A medical permit is needed for what is called 'compassionate use' of marijuana, which means it's used to treat illnesses ... when nothing else seems to work," Mechoulam said.

Smoking marijuana, as an estimated eight percent of Israelis aged 18-40 do, does not act as a medicine on its own, he said.

"The drug is only approved for medical use, and its active curing ingredient, THC, must be isolated and used in medical treatment," he said.

Instead of smoking the drug, soldiers will drink THC dissolved in olive oil.

"We prefer to give it under the tongue rather than through a pill because it's more effective. I hope (the drug) will help at least part of the time, so they can sleep better more often," Mechoulam said.

If successful, the treatment could be tried elsewhere.

The U.S. National Centre for Mental Health says that 30 percent of Americans who spent time in war zones have experienced the disorder, dubbed "shell shock" by veterans of World War One.

Surveys conducted by the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Washington in 2003 found that nearly a fifth of U.S. soldiers returning from the war in Iraq may suffer from the disorder.

A million Vietnam War veterans are believed to have developed it as well.

A New York Academy of Medicine poll found that levels of post-traumatic stress disorder doubled among New York City residents a few weeks after the September 11 attacks.

:elvis:

FORD
10-04-2004, 09:53 AM
As the Jewish prophet Robert Zimmerman once said......

EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED

Mixing it with olive oil huh? I'm seeing a whole new food market here...... Garlic THC fries at Safeco Field.... after a couple servings of these you won't care whether the Mariners are winning or not :D

ODShowtime
10-04-2004, 11:33 AM
From what I've been told, many Vietnam vets figured this out themselves before they ever even left the war zone.

Mezro
10-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Pot heads with towels.

Mezro...smoke away, toke away...say bye bye to the Gaza Strip...

JCOOK
10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Where do I sign up I just converted.

FORD
10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Asslips??? You lurking today?? Come on, break out the ganja infused olive oil for us "jew haters" :D

JCOOK
10-04-2004, 05:33 PM
What kind of munchies do they have in Israel?

FORD
10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
What kind of munchies do they have in Israel? Cheeseburgers and pork rinds are definitely out :(

But other than that, probably the same kind of stuff they have here.

Nacho cheese Matzohs maybe??

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
From what I've been told, many Vietnam vets figured this out themselves before they ever even left the war zone.
LOL

Those vets are still smoking:)

=PtS=
:spank:

THE FAMOUS THAI STICKTM

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Closer

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Closer. Note the workmanship and wrapped string. Tight potent bud.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
High, very high.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Today. New Thai.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:41 PM
USA Thai stick weed.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Old McDonald

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Starts with Thai stick seeds.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
God Bless America

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Grande Thai plant.

FORD
10-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Hope that's not your personal growing operation Phil. Don't forget that the BCE watches this site :lookie:

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Stuff in your basement.

FORD
10-04-2004, 06:48 PM
I almost erased that pic before I realized those were shrooms....

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Hope that's not your personal growing operation Phil. Don't forget that the BCE watches this site :lookie:
Not mine. But I'm learning. And teaching others with my visual aids:)

=PtS=

I GOTTA SMOKE SUM SKUNK WIT HITCHY

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I almost erased that pic before I realized those were shrooms....
Did you think they were penises?

FORD
10-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Damn it Phill! No backstage photos of Van Hagar shows allowed in the Front Line!! :mad:

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh, man.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Damn it Phill! No backstage photos of Van Hagar shows allowed in the Front Line!! :mad:
LOL

I think Hagar is going t2o be looking f4or me now:)

Is he related t2o the Hee Haw Hagers?

=PtS=

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 07:17 PM
You know God can hear you right now.

FORD, ask PANAMARK if you don't know,
has VH contacted you guys about your
fan board? We treat Hagar like
a completely normal person
just like I treat Joe Rogan.

Our mistake:)

=PtS=

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
The BCE. I think Israel and wants
me after my pics. Well, well, well,
I'll probably get a visit from the
Mousaud.

=PtS=

FORD
10-04-2004, 07:25 PM
As far as I know, the Lying Dutchmen have never seen this board. And if they have, I hope they got the message. As for His Cheddarness, he'd probably feel right at home with all the Busheep.

Phil theStalker
10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, the Lying Dutchmen have never seen this board. And if they have, I hope they got the message. As for His Cheddarness, he'd probably feel right at home with all the Busheep.
..wot aboot da Hagar Brothas..

..is he reelated?

=PtS=

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Whopper heads.

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Whopper party by Whopper heads.

From the movie classic:

WHOPPER MADNESS

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:12 AM
The results of Whopper Madness.

Whopper heads will go out afterwards and have wild unprotected sex.

From the classic movie:

WHOPPER MADNESS

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:13 AM
The drug.

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Whopper head gang jackets.

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Whopper head caught on hidden camera.

Phil theStalker
10-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Closer. Note the detailed workmanship for the perfect high.

ODShowtime
10-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
The drug.

that's the money shot right there