PDA

View Full Version : For those of you without access to the CBC television network

FORD
10-07-2004, 02:44 PM
The Unauthorized Biography of Dick Cheney

Download it here in Quicktime format (http://news.globalfreepress.com/movs/wonk/CBC/UnauthorizedCheneyBiography.mov)

Thanks to Angel for bringing this to my attention in the first place, and to "Wonk" at DU for releasing the video in cyberspace

God bless CBC for being the last honest network on the North American continent.

http://www.saskabush.com/2001/0725/images/pic_oh_canada.jpg http://www.brsk.net/nessfest/imgfiles/cbc.gif

Big Train
10-07-2004, 02:49 PM
The unauthorized and TOTALLY accurate and unbiased bio of Cheney...correct?

FORD
10-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
The unauthorized and TOTALLY accurate and unbiased bio of Cheney...correct?

I thought it was very fair and factual.

Warham
10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
You get your news from Canada, FORD?

Why not just watch some French or German television?

Big Train
10-07-2004, 03:06 PM
It's like getting news about Isreal from the Palestine authority...

Warham
10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
That'd be like having an unofficial bio of George W. Bush on dnc.org.

Jesus Christ
10-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Dad forbid that honest journalism existeth anywhere anymore.

If thy corporate media had been around 2000 years ago, they would hath had Judas Iscariot, Pontius Pilate, and the Pharisees writing the Gospels.

Warham
10-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Now, the liberal media writes the Gospel according to Bill Clinton.

ODShowtime
10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Now, the liberal media writes the Gospel according to Bill Clinton.

What's your deal with Clinton? Did he bang your girlfriend or something?:p

Big Train
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Did Bush fuck yours?

Warham
10-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
What's your deal with Clinton? Did he bang your girlfriend or something?:p

You want me to get into Bill Clinton's administration? Not to mention his personal ethics? And Hillary, least of all?

I think we should just end it right here.

FORD
10-07-2004, 07:16 PM
OK, now that we've had all the distracting bullshit....

WATCH THE GODDAMNED VIDEO!!

Sgt Schultz
10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Any "news" source that uses Joe WIlson so extensively exposes itself as hopelessly biased. Joe WIlson has been exposed as a fraud and liar. End of story. Move on people, nothing to see here...............

FORD
10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Right... anyone who disagrees with the BCE is a "fraud and a liar".

The uranium didn't exist. The WMD's didn't exist, Junior lied. And according to a law that his own father was largely responsible for, his fraudministration (i.e. Cheney & Rove specifically) committed an act of treason by "outing" a CIA agent.

Sgt Schultz
10-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Right... anyone who disagrees with the BCE is a "fraud and a liar".

The uranium didn't exist. The WMD's didn't exist, Junior lied. And according to a law that his own father was largely responsible for, his fraudministration (i.e. Cheney & Rove specifically) committed an act of treason by "outing" a CIA agent.

Our Man in Niger
Exposed and discredited, Joe Wilson might consider going back.

Joe Wilson's cover has been blown. For the past year, he has claimed to be a truth-teller, a whistleblower, the victim of a vast right-wing conspiracy — and most of the media have lapped it up and cheered him on.

After a whirl of TV and radio appearances during which he received high-fives and hearty hugs from producers and hosts (I was in some green rooms with him so this is eyewitness reporting), and a wet-kiss profile in Vanity Fair, he gave birth to a quickie book sporting his dapper self on the cover, and verbosely entitled The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies that Led to War and Betrayed My Wife's CIA Identity: A Diplomat's Memoir.

The book jacket talks of his "fearless insight" (whatever that's supposed to mean) and "disarming candor" (which does not extend to telling readers for whom he has been working since retiring early from the Foreign Service).

The biographical blurb describes him as a "political centrist" who received a prize for "Truth-Telling," though a careful reader might notice that the award came in part from a group associated with The Nation magazine — which only Michael Moore would consider a centrist publication.

But now Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV — he of the Hermes ties and Jaguar convertibles — has been thoroughly discredited. Last week's bipartisan
Senate intelligence committee report (http://intelligence.senate.gov/iraqreport2.pdf) concluded that it is he who has been telling lies.

For starters, he has insisted that his wife, CIA employee Valerie Plame, was not the one who came up with the brilliant idea that the agency send him to Niger to investigate whether Saddam Hussein had been attempting to acquire uranium. "Valerie had nothing to do with the matter," Wilson says in his book. "She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip." In fact, the Senate panel found, she was the one who got him that assignment. The panel even found a memo by her. (She should have thought to use disappearing ink.)

Wilson spent a total of eight days in Niger "drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people," as he put it. On the basis of this "investigation" he confidently concluded that there was no way Saddam sought uranium from Africa. Oddly, Wilson didn't bother to write a report saying this. Instead he gave an oral briefing to a CIA official.

Oddly, too, as an investigator on assignment for the CIA he was not required to keep his mission and its conclusions confidential. And for the New York Times, he was happy to put pen to paper, to write an op-ed charging the Bush administration with "twisting," "manipulating" and "exaggerating" intelligence about Saddam Hussein's weapons programs "to justify an invasion."

In particular he said that President Bush was lying when, in his 2003 State of the Union address, he pronounced these words: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

We now know for certain that Wilson was wrong and that Bush's statement was entirely accurate.

The British have consistently stood by that conclusion. In September 2003, an independent British parliamentary committee looked into the matter and determined that the claim made by British intelligence was "reasonable" (the media forgot to cover that one too). Indeed, Britain's spies stand by their claim to this day. Interestingly, French intelligence also reported an Iraqi attempt to procure uranium from Niger.

Yes, there were fake documents relating to Niger-Iraq sales. But no, those forgeries were not the evidence that convinced British intelligence that Saddam may have been shopping for "yellowcake" uranium. On the contrary, according to some intelligence sources, the forgery was planted in order to be discovered — as a ruse to discredit the story of a Niger-Iraq link, to persuade people there were no grounds for the charge. If that was the plan, it worked like a charm.

But that's not all. The Butler report, yet another British government inquiry, also is expected to conclude this week that British intelligence was correct to say that Saddam sought uranium from Niger.

And in recent days, the Financial Times has reported that illicit sales of uranium from Niger were indeed being negotiated with Iraq, as well as with four other states.

According to the FT: "European intelligence officers have now revealed that three years before the fake documents became public, human and electronic intelligence sources from a number of countries picked up repeated discussion of an illicit trade in uranium from Niger. One of the customers discussed by the traders was Iraq."

There's still more: As Susan Schmidt reported — back on page A9 of Saturday's Washington Post: "Contrary to Wilson's assertions and even the government's previous statements, the CIA did not tell the White House it had qualms about the reliability of the Africa intelligence."

The Senate report says fairly bluntly that Wilson lied to the media. Schmidt notes that the panel found that, "Wilson provided misleading information to the Washington Post last June. He said then that he concluded the Niger intelligence was based on a document that had clearly been forged because 'the dates were wrong and the names were wrong.'"

The problem is Wilson "had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports," the Senate panel discovered. Schmidt notes: "The documents — purported sales agreements between Niger and Iraq — were not in U.S. hands until eight months after Wilson made his trip to Niger."

Ironically, Senate investigators found that at least some of what Wilson told his CIA briefer not only failed to persuade the agency that there was nothing to reports of Niger-Iraq link — his information actually created additional suspicion.

A former prime minister of Niger, Ibrahim Assane Mayaki, told Wilson that in June 1999, a businessman approached him, insisting that he meet with an Iraqi delegation to discuss "expanding commercial relations." Mayaki, knowing how few commodities for export are produced by impoverished Niger, interpreted that to mean that Saddam was seeking uranium.

Another former government official told Wilson that Iran had tried to buy 400 tons of uranium in 1998. That's the same year that Saddam forced the weapons inspectors to leave Iraq. Could the former official have meant Iraq rather than Iran? If someone were to try to connect those dots, what picture might emerge?

Schmidt adds that the Senate panel was alarmed to find that the CIA never "fully investigated possible efforts by Iraq to buy uranium from Niger destined for Iraq and stored in a warehouse in Benin."

As I suggested in another NRO piece (Spy Games), if that is the case — if she was not working undercover and if the CIA was not taking measures to protect her cover — no law was broken by columnist Bob Novak in naming her, or by whoever told Novak that she worked for the CIA.

It is against the law to knowingly name an undercover agent. It is not against the law to name a CIA employee who is not an undercover agent. For example, I know the identity of "Anonymous," the CIA employee who has now written a book trashing the Bush administration for its policies. But since he is not — to the best of my knowledge — a covert operative, I would be committing no crime were I to name him in this piece. Nor, I should add, did he attempt to hide his employment when we sat across a dinner table some months ago.

I don't think Joe Wilson is an evil man. I do think he is an angry partisan and an opportunist. According to my sources, during most of his diplomatic career he specialized in general services and administration, which means he was not the political or economic adviser to the ambassador, rather he was the guy who makes sure the embassy plumbing is working and that the commissary is stocked with Oreos and other products the ambassador prefers.

Just prior to the Gulf War, he did serve in Iraq, a hot spot to be sure, but that was under Ambassador April Glaspie, who failed to make it clear to Saddam that invading Kuwait would elicit a robust response from Washington. I doubt that Wilson advised her to do otherwise. I rather doubt she asked. As he says in his book, she was giving him an "on-the-spot education in Middle Eastern diplomacy. It was a part of the world in which I had no experience."

In 1991, Wilson's book jacket boasts, President George H.W. Bush praised Wilson as "a true American hero," and he was made an ambassador. But for some reason, he was assigned not to Cairo, Paris, or Moscow, places where you put the best and the brightest, nor was he sent to Bermuda or Luxembourg, places you send people you want to reward. Instead, he was sent to Gabon, a diplomatic backwater of the first rank.

After that, he says in his memoir, "I had risen about as high as I could in the Foreign Service and decided it was time to retire." Well, that's not exactly accurate either. He could have been given a more important posting, such as Kenya or South Africa, or he could have been promoted higher in the senior Foreign Service (he made only the first of four grades). Instead, he was evidently (according to my sources) forced into involuntary retirement at 48. (The minimum age for voluntary retirement in the Foreign Service is 50.) After that, he seems to have made quite a bit of money — doing what for whom is unclear and I wish the Senate committee had attempted to find out.

But based on one op-ed declaring 16 words spoken by the president a lie, he transformed himself into an instant celebrity and, for a while, it seemed, a contender for power within the chien-mange-le-chien world of foreign policy. That dream has now probably evaporated. It is hard to see how a President John Kerry would now want Wilson in his inner circle. But if he desired to return to Gabon or Niger I, for one, would not be among those opposing him.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Spy Games
Was it really a secret that Joe Wilson's wife worked for the CIA?

It's the top story in the Washington Post this morning as well as in many other media outlets. Who leaked the fact that the wife of Joseph C. Wilson IV worked for the CIA?

What also might be worth asking: "Who didn't know?"

I believe I was the first to publicly question the credibility of Mr. Wilson, a retired diplomat sent to Niger to look into reports that Saddam Hussein had attempted to purchase yellowcake uranium for his nuclear-weapons program.

On July 6, Mr. Wilson wrote an op-ed for the New York Times in which he said: "I have little choice but to conclude that some of the intelligence related to Iraq's nuclear weapons program was twisted to exaggerate the Iraqi threat."

On July 11, I wrote a piece for NRO arguing that Mr. Wilson had no basis for that conclusion — and that his political leanings and associations (not disclosed by the Times and others journalists interviewing him) cast serious doubt on his objectivity.

On July 14, Robert Novak wrote a column in the Post and other newspapers naming Mr. Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, as a CIA operative.

That wasn't news to me. I had been told that — but not by anyone working in the White House. Rather, I learned it from someone who formerly worked in the government and he mentioned it in an offhand manner, leading me to infer it was something that insiders were well aware of.

I chose not to include it (I wrote a second NRO piece on this issue on July 18) because it didn't seem particularly relevant to the question of whether or not Mr. Wilson should be regarded as a disinterested professional who had done a thorough investigation into Saddam's alleged attempts to purchase uranium in Africa.

What did appear relevant could easily be found in what the CIA would call "open sources." For example, Mr. Wilson had long been a bitter critic of the current administration, writing in such left-wing publications as The Nation that under President Bush, "America has entered one of it periods of historical madness" and had "imperial ambitions."

What's more, he was affiliated with the pro-Saudi Middle East Institute and he had recently been the keynote speaker for the Education for Peace in Iraq Center, a far-Left group that opposed not only the U.S. military intervention in Iraq but also the sanctions and the no-fly zones that protected Iraqi Kurds and Shias from being slaughtered by Saddam.

Mr. Wilson is now saying (on C-SPAN this morning, for example) that he opposed military action in Iraq because he didn't believe Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and he foresaw the possibility of a difficult occupation. In fact, prior to the U.S. invasion, Mr. Wilson told ABC's Dave Marash that if American troops were sent into Iraq, Saddam might "use a biological weapon in a battle that we might have. For example, if we're taking Baghdad or we're trying to take, in ground-to-ground, hand-to-hand combat."

Equally, important and also overlooked: Mr. Wilson had no apparent background or skill as an investigator. As Mr. Wilson himself acknowledged, his so-called investigation was nothing more than "eight days drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people" at the U.S. embassy in Niger. Based on those conversations, he concluded that "it was highly doubtful that any [sale of uranium from Niger to Iraq] had ever taken place."

That's hardly the same as disproving what British intelligence believed — and continues to believe: that Saddam Hussein was actively attempting to purchase uranium from somewhere in Africa. (Whether Saddam succeeded or not isn't the point; were Saddam attempting to make such purchases it would suggest that his nuclear-weapons-development program was active and ongoing.)

For some reason, this background and these questions have been consistently omitted in the Establishment media's reporting on Mr. Wilson and his charges.

There also remains this intriguing question: Was it primarily due to the fact that Mr. Wilson's wife worked for the CIA that he received the Niger assignment?

Mr. Wilson has said that his mission came about following a request from Vice President Cheney. But it appears that if Mr. Cheney made the request at all, he made it of the CIA and did not know Mr. Wilson and certainly did not specify that he wanted Mr. Wilson put on the case.

It has to be seen as puzzling that the agency would deal with an inquiry from the White House on a sensitive national-security matter by sending a retired, Bush-bashing diplomat with no investigative experience. Or didn't the CIA bother to look into Mr. Wilson's background?

If that's what passes for tradecraft in Langley, we're in more trouble than any of us have realized.

Big Train
10-08-2004, 01:50 PM
That news hasn't reached the holy land of journalism yet, Canada..

Angel
10-08-2004, 02:02 PM
We receive our news long before your govt okays it to be aired in the States. You want the truth? YOU GUYS CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

ELVIS
10-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Canada has news ??

What news ??

Let's hear a Canadian headline...:rolleyes:

Jerry Falwell
10-08-2004, 02:18 PM
I can't watch anything that streams at work... will someone summarize the video for me.
I'm not sure if this video is where a friend of mine got some information from, but he says that Cheney voted against Martin Luther King Day and something about him being agains Nelson Mandela?
He swears that this info is accurate. I have doubt there is any validity here, but would like to know where this info comes from.

Angel
10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
I can't watch anything that streams at work... will someone summarize the video for me.
I'm not sure if this video is where a friend of mine got some information from, but he says that Cheney voted against Martin Luther King Day and something about him being agains Nelson Mandela?
He swears that this info is accurate. I have doubt there is any validity here, but would like to know where this info comes from.

Here's the link to the web-site:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/

Angel
10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Canada has news ??

What news ??

Let's hear a Canadian headline...:rolleyes:

You ARE stupid, aren't you? Our headlines are the same as most, US occupies Iraq, Israelis kill Palestinian children, etc.

Our own news headlines? Minority Govt, Stupid cheap military shit that the fucking govt buys from brits kills more soldiers, typical shit...

Big Train
10-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Why do you even bother having a military? It isn't like you use or need it or anything.

We can handle the truth, you guys just don't get any on your rabbitt ears..

Jerry Falwell
10-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks Angel!

Angel
10-08-2004, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Train
Why do you even bother having a military? It isn't like you use or need it or anything.

We can handle the truth, you guys just don't get any on your rabbitt ears.. [/QUOTE

Actually, we are in Afghanistan, the Baltics, Haiti, etc. What we WERE best at was peace-keeping. Our liberal government has almost destroyed what was once one of the worlds best! We are still in demand for peacekeeping in "hotbed" areas, and we have also recently had to station troops in the Arctic, so as to stop other nations from attempting to make any claims on any of our land up there. So, actually, we do use it and need it, we just need the govt to spend the $$ to bring it back to what it once was.

But you're right, we only have rabbit ears up here, we also travel by horse and buggy, and when travelling anywhere, we corrall them beside the Canada/US border, and walk into the US so that we can be somewhere where they have planes, trains and automobiles.

:rolleyes:

Big Train
10-08-2004, 03:14 PM
You said it better than I could sister.

Your "Best" at peacekeeping, never any actual fighting.

I'm not the one saying the US is better, you guys are the ones with the moral superiority trip. Your allowed this privileged position due to your geographic location.

ELVIS
10-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Angel
You ARE stupid, aren't you? Our headlines are the same as most, US occupies Iraq, Israelis kill Palestinian children, etc.

Our own news headlines? Minority Govt, Stupid cheap military shit that the fucking govt buys from brits kills more soldiers, typical shit...

Thank you, hippie...

Angel
10-08-2004, 03:17 PM
You said it better than I could sister.

Your "Best" at peacekeeping, never any actual fighting.

And the problem with being peacekeepers as oppossed to warmongers?

Big Train
10-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Ummm, let's see...Never having to fight an actual war. You NEVER will, due to your proximity to the US. Which is probably why your government doesn't spend any money on equipment you don't need, as you really don't use it, even in "peacekeeping" situations.

Warmongers. Exactly my point. Your in a priveleged position to make judgements and never have to get your hands dirty. You don't want to know how we killed the cow, but you damn sure will contiune to eat the steaks.

Angel
10-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Um, you'd better study your history there, bud. Specifically WWI and WWII.

Big Train
10-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I would have to as current events don't favor your argument. At least the last fifty years...

Angel
10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
We were in Korea alongside you. We're lovers, not fighters, and EXTREMELY PROUD OF THAT FACT!

Big Train
10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Exactly...50 years ago....

Angel
10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I still haven't figured out what your point is, if you have one at all...

Warham
10-08-2004, 04:49 PM
His point is, Canada is just a speck on the map in terms of importance.

Is there anything else up there besides Hockey?

Angel
10-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Nope, not a thing, and we're not an OPEC nation either, nothing for you here. :rolleyes:

Angel
10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Exactly...50 years ago....

We're in Afghanistan... That's 50 years ago now? Holy shit, I'm supposed to be retired!

Warham
10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Do you guys still worship the Queen of England over there?

Angel
10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Ummmm...Anglo-Canadians, not much... Quebecers, big time!

Big Train
10-08-2004, 05:38 PM
You in Afghanistan, doing "peacekeeping". The point is, when shit goes down, your nowhere to be found. It's after all the heavy lifting is done, you show up to be a glorified Red Cross.

You'll never have to fight a real war, cause you have us. That's my point. Cause you were involved, doesn't mean you did anything.

The point is you make moral judgements on us all the time, yet never lead EVER for anything. Doubly so militarily.

Angel
10-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Um no, not peacekeeping. We're keeping your boys fucking safe over there with our reconnaissance missions!

We LEAD a lot, on environmental issues, medical issues, etc. We are a peaceful nation, why does that bother you so much? As for this bullshit about never having a real war because we have you, stupid ass, we have almost the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD!

Now, go play with your penis or something, you're getting quite boring!

Warham
10-08-2004, 05:53 PM
I thought the medical situation in Canada sucked.

How can you guys lead, if you don't even have a good system up there?

scorpioboy33
10-08-2004, 06:00 PM
!
at least we work as a world partner...whereas you guys are fuckin cowboys....29k gun deaths ...water gate...puppet governments....hoover????haha better us than the US!

scorpioboy33
10-08-2004, 06:05 PM
shit I forgot slavery....segregation.....wow...real world leaders!

fanofdave
10-08-2004, 06:09 PM
That unauthorized bio of dick cheney didn't have
even one reference to David Lee Roth in it. What's up
with that?

remember folks, personal political views are like assholes:

1. We all have one

2. They usually stink like shit

3. Most people don't want to see it
or hear it

The best way to to express your political opinion is to vote.

We now resume our Roth Army Forums Broadcast......

Warham
10-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
!
at least we work as a world partner...whereas you guys are fuckin cowboys....29k gun deaths ...water gate...puppet governments....hoover????haha better us than the US!

So you guys are involved in the Food For Oil scandal too, as you are a world partner?

Puppet governments? Isn't your government just a puppet for England?

Angel
10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Our medical system does need some work, but it is not as bad as many think... I know, as I work for a regulatory body for physicians and surgeons... plus I have a pacemaker and my husband has Parkinson's Disease, so we have to utilize our system quite a bit.

We still make great strides in the medical research areas, specifically cardiac and pediatric care. We need more money infused into the medical system, too many hospital beds have been closed because of budget cuts. Improvement is happening however.

No, we are NOT involved in the food for oil scandal to my knowledge.

NO, our government is NOT a puppet for England. They have NO SAY on our government or laws... we have our own constitution. If we were still ruled by England, don't you think they would have forced us to send our troops to Iraq? We are no longer the Royal Canadian Armed Forces, we are the Canadian Armed Forces.

Cheers! :D

Big Train
10-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Angel,

I'll end this right, as you bore me with your brainwashed liberalism and canadien superiority...

I am speaking purely militarily, we can get into health care and all that fun stuff later.

Do you think that the US would allow canada to be attacked? Do you think canada's first call would be to anyone other than the US?

Lqskdiver
10-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The Unauthorized Biography of Dick Cheney

Download it here in Quicktime format (http://news.globalfreepress.com/movs/wonk/CBC/UnauthorizedCheneyBiography.mov)

Thanks to Angel for bringing this to my attention in the first place, and to "Wonk" at DU for releasing the video in cyberspace

God bless CBC for being the last honest network on the North American continent.

http://www.saskabush.com/2001/0725/images/pic_oh_canada.jpg http://www.brsk.net/nessfest/imgfiles/cbc.gif

:vomit: