PDA

View Full Version : Chirac lashes out against US cultural domination

BigBadBrian
10-08-2004, 09:21 AM
French President Jacques Chirac warned Thursday of a "catastrophe" for global diversity if the United States' cultural hegemony goes unchallenged.

Speaking at a French cultural center in Hanoi ahead of Friday's opening of a summit of European and Asian leaders, Chirac said France was right to stand up for cultural and linguistic diversity.

The outspoken French president warned that the world's different cultures could be "choked" by US values.

This, he said, would lead to a "general world sub-culture" based around the English language, which would be "a real ecological catastrophe".

Citing Hollywood's stranglehold over the film industry as an example, Chirac stressed that only with government assistance could countries maintain their cultural heritage.

Vietnam is a former French colony, but only around 375,000 of its 81 million people speak French. English is considered by most people a far more valuable and practical second language, particularly among businessmen.

Sgt Schultz
10-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Chirac is a crybaby bozo. He probably also thinks that it was a 'catastrophe' that Latin was the predominant language in the Meditteranean and southern Europe in 100 AD.

Dr. Love
10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
buhu

Figs
10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
The french are so insecure about their language. They are the only country i know of that periodically gets rid of english words that are commonly used and make up new french words. "E-mail" comes to mind as one of the more recent.

FORD
10-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Chirac is a crybaby bozo. He probably also thinks that it was a 'catastrophe' that Latin was the predominant language in the Meditteranean and southern Europe in 100 AD.

And why was that the case? Because there was an EMPIRE that had taken over the entire continent, correct?

Sgt Schultz
10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by FORD
And why was that the case? Because there was an EMPIRE that had taken over the entire continent, correct?

Well yes of course, and there are always paralells between Rome and other dominant countries and Empires through the ages. I know what you are getting at but the comparison doesn't wash. Sometimes the Latin language was forced - but eventually it just made sense to speak and trade in Latin - just like English now, except that people aren't coerced and the point of a sword to speak English.Rome conquered territory with naked aggression yet eventually people voluntarily migrated to Roman provinces because it was a better to live as a Roman.

Jano
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Watch out smart ass !The origine of the american language is a mixing between british,american native,dutch and french languages.You make me laugh,you've got not even 300 years of history and you want to give me a lesson,good try!!!!

ODShowtime
10-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jano
Watch out smart ass !The origine of the american language is a mixing between british,american native,dutch and french languages.You make me laugh,you've got not even 300 years of history and you want to give me a lesson,good try!!!!

Jano, there's quite a bit of your country's history that you should be trying to forget.

Angel
10-08-2004, 04:04 PM
One should never try to forget history, we LEARN from history!

Jano, my ancestors were from Limousin - and I am EXTREMELY proud of my french (Canadian ;)) heritage!

Salud!

Jano
10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Jano, there's quite a bit of your country's history that you should be trying to forget.
History is history bud, nothing i can do about it!And what about your history?

ODShowtime
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Angel
One should never try to forget history, we LEARN from history!

ah good point

Dr. Love
10-08-2004, 05:27 PM
History is history bud, nothing i can do about it!And what about your history?

Are you playing both sides of the argument?

Angel
10-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi honey! ;)

Dr. Love
10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Hello. :D

lucky wilbury
10-08-2004, 06:39 PM
most of the world speaks english because of the brits. remember the sun never sets on the british empire!

monkeythe
10-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Maybe if the French did something culturally good in modern times, Chirac wouldn't be complainig so much. When was the last French film that took the world by storm? Last French song?

In recent years, foreign language movies have done well here. Hero and Crouching Tiger both hit #1 for several weeks. And who could forget the Macarena.

Jano
10-09-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
Maybe if the French did something culturally good in modern times, Chirac wouldn't be complainig so much. When was the last French film that took the world by storm? Last French song?

In recent years, foreign language movies have done well here. Hero and Crouching Tiger both hit #1 for several weeks. And who could forget the Macarena.
Please,are you going to tell me that the french don't make good movies and songs now!
You should ask your american actors what they think about the french in their business?You'll be surprise that they love what we do an i can tell you that the french are doing very well everywhere in the world for their work in the movies 's business.Hollywood made a lots of american remake from French movies!
"Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain"did very good in the world.
and please don't tell me that "the macarena" was a cultural good! Now i understand why Spammy have so much succes in your country!

BigBadBrian
10-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Please,are you going to tell me that the french don't make good movies and songs now!

That is exactly what we are saying. :gulp:

FORD
10-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
And who could forget the Macarena.

Uh, if you're trying to win a cultural argument, the Macarena probably isn't the best example.....

Dr. Love
10-09-2004, 09:25 AM

The only French song I've ever heard is "Frere Jacques".

Sgt Schultz
10-09-2004, 09:38 AM
France was once the center of culture and art. THe only art medium they were not the masters of was music although their contributions were of course considerable. However, after WWII the United States were the the innovators in art and music (and no, I'm not talking 'pop' culture) and this is something that the French have never been able to accept. Personally I belive great new art and music spring from conflict and suffering and a desire to shake up the status quo. None of this is currently present in France - or Europe in general.

FORD
10-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
The only French song I've ever heard is "Frere Jacques".

But it was a monster hit, wasn't it? ;)

Hey what about "My Way" which was a monster hit for Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley AND.......
http://www.recordland.ch/Punk_Schallpla/IMAG0012.JPG Sid Vicious

That was written by some French dudes.

John Ashcroft
10-09-2004, 07:15 PM
You make me laugh,you've got not even 300 years of history and you want to give me a lesson,good try!!!!

So why is your President worried?

Cool that in only a few hundred years, our culture has dominated the globe, huh? ;)

FORD
10-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
So why is your President worried?

Cool that in only a few hundred years, our culture has dominated the globe, huh? ;)

"Our" military and corporations may dominate the globe but "our" culture does not.

And the reason for that is simple - There is no objective definition of American culture. Most countries it's simple enough... it's what the natives have been doing for centuries - or longer. But native cultures of THIS country certainly aren't the ones in practice.

In fact, given the "melting pot" theory of America, it's more of a true statement to say the globe has dominated our culture

Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. As long as you keep the good things in the mix. And unfortunately, that seems to be the main problem in recent years :(

John Ashcroft
10-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Uh... Then why is France even worried about American influence???

And to top it off, why are you ashamed?

Do you see what we've built as a good thing or bad thing? I think it's quite clear what your answer is. And that's too bad. I'd hate to see you waste your life thinking there's something better while you're living in an oasis... Really.

FORD
10-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Uh... Then why is France even worried about American influence???

And to top it off, why are you ashamed?

Do you see what we've built as a good thing or bad thing? I think it's quite clear what your answer is. And that's too bad. I'd hate to see you waste your life thinking there's something better while you're living in an oasis... Really.

What we've built was good, with some obvious glaring exceptions over the years (slavery, Native American genocide, internment of Japanese Americans, etc) but the overall good outweighed the bad.

But as of December 12, 2000 the building stopped and the tearing down of America began. And that's what I cannot and will not endorse or even pretend to tolerate.

John Ashcroft
10-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Dude, you should really consider a "walk-about". Seriously. You seem to be consumed with a bitterness that needs correction. You ever consider touring Europe? It's fucking awesome! Seriously! Build memories while you still can. If you can afford it, I highly recommend doing it. I'm not being political here in the least bit. Submerging yourself into another culture if fucking cool as hell. The memories are amazing. I truly believe that there are wonderful aspects of the culture in every place on the planet. You just need to discover them.

With me, it left me with an appreciation I couldn't imagine. Memories that I hope I'll never lose. But you must understand, it also leaves you with a yearning to come home. A significant part of that aquired appreciation was that of our country. The flag is a wonderful sight after submerging yourself into another culture.

Don't get me wrong, again, I'm not being political here. I will absolutely cherish those experiences for ever. There are certainly aspects of Europe I wish the U.S. had more of. But over all, I learned alot about our home while I was away. I learned not to consider the grass as greener on the other side.

Anyway, you should go for it if you can. I've got two friends that actually decided to take up residence overseas. They loved it that much. You may or may not decide to stay after touring, but at least you'll have a new perspective on what's out there. I promise.

Dr. Love
10-10-2004, 12:02 AM
I'd call American culture less a melting pot and more a salad bowl.