PDA

View Full Version : Penn. State Democratic Senator calls two GOP rivals "Faggots" on Senate Floor

BigBadBrian
10-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Fumo apologizes for derogatory term
Friday, October 08, 2004
BY CHARLES THOMPSON
Of The Patriot-News
Sen. Vince Fumo issued an open apology yesterday to the gay community for his use of the word "faggot" in a name-calling tirade on the state Senate floor late Wednesday.

Fumo hurled the epithet several times at Senate President Pro Tempore Robert Jubelirer, R-Blair, and Majority Leader David "Chip" Brightbill, R-Lebanon, after the Senate Republicans moved to stifle debate on a number of Democratic amendments to their slots bill.

According to witnesses, Fumo stormed over to the GOP leaders during a break in proceedings and accused them of breaking a pledge that he and his colleagues would be permitted to present their amendments. Fumo used the term several times before the exchange ended. It was not captured on tape.

Later, the Philadelphia Democrat acknowledged to reporters that he had lost his temper and "made a mistake" in his choice of words.

Yesterday, Fumo phoned Mark Segal, the publisher of the Philadelphia Gay News. According to a press release issued by his office, he apologized for "a very unfortunate word choice. ... I am especially sorry about using the term because it is not the way I feel in my heart toward gays."

The expression of remorse was not meant for his Senate colleagues, Fumo staffers said.

"He feels that the error he made was in using a term that is regarded as derogatory toward gay people," Fumo spokesman Gary Tuma said. "He does not regret getting into an argument with Senators Jubelirer and Brightbill."

Fumo's apology was accepted by Segal and other gay rights advocates.

"Vince is the kind of guy, when he gets angry colorful things come out of his mouth," said Segal, who considers himself a friend of Fumo's. "But he is also the No. 1 supporter of gay and lesbian issues in the Pennsylvania Senate ... and deeds speak louder than words."

Others, including Jubelirer, were in a less-forgiving mood.

Jubelirer, a member of the state Senate for 30 years, said Fumo's outburst was one of the worst he'd ever seen. He said Fumo owes a direct apology to his colleagues.

Kathleen Hall Jamieson, an expert on political communication at the University of Pennsylvania, agreed.

"The people we elect are supposed to be role models, and they're supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard than everybody else," she said. "Not a lower standard."

Nor does Fumo get a pass because of his animated personality. "Name-calling like that isn't appropriate in any venue, but there have to be expectations for what is appropriate language for a deliberative body," she said.

Senate rules regarding order and decorum generally apply to floor debates, and the body was in recess when Fumo lashed out.

The chamber's Ethics Committee investigates complaints into illegal or unethical activities by members. "It is something that we may need to discuss," Jubelirer said. "This should never happen."

Fumo was angry over his being blocked from debating an amendment that would broaden a proposed ban on lawmakers having financial interests in gaming businesses. Fumo wanted the ban to prohibit all family members, including adult children, from deriving income from a gambling enterprise.

In theory, the amendment would affect Jubelirer's son, Jeff, who handles public relations work for Philadelphia businessman Manny Stamatakis. Stamatakis is interested in applying for a license to operate a freestanding slots parlor in Philadelphia.

Republicans said they curtailed debate in part because Fumo's amendment -- which included a more-expansive definition for "immediate family" than the law Fumo helped to negotiate this summer -- was "mean-spirited, and intended to embarrass people."

Fumo ended his statement yesterday by suggesting Jubelirer and Brightbill "owe an apology to the people of Pennsylvania for failing to confront the issue of legislators' relatives being able to enrich themselves through gambling."

The slots bill, passed on a 49-1 vote, moves to the House.

BigBadBrian
10-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Why hasn't Katie fuckin' Couric put this on the Today show yet?

FORD
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
He was wrong. He should have only used this term if he was referring to David Drier or Lindsey Graham.

Nah, seriously, there's no reason to call somebody a "faggot", on the Senate floor or otherwise.

But why should Katie Couric be all that concerned with the Pennsylvania State Senate? :confused:

lucky wilbury
10-08-2004, 06:44 PM
when are we going to see all the gay groups on the cnn shows on this guy to run him out off office?

ELVIS
10-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Nah, seriously, there's no reason to call somebody a "faggot", on the Senate floor or otherwise.

What's wrong with it ??

You advocate name calling...

Big Train
10-08-2004, 07:11 PM
They aren't GOP, there will NOT be an uproar just because of it. There will be some , ummm, backdoor deals, but that will be it. Everyone will bite their tongue.

FORD
10-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What's wrong with it ??

You advocate name calling...

There's just some things that are inappropriate on the Senate floor, whether it's the example above, or whether it's the "Vice" President telling a senator to "go fuck yourself" on the Senate floor in DC.

So there, faggot! :p

ELVIS
10-08-2004, 07:30 PM
LMAO!

:elvis:

Sgt Schultz
10-08-2004, 08:46 PM
THat's the way the world works folks - Dems and libs can call people faggots and ******s and wops etc etc all day long - the press isn't going to call them on it. Heck if you are a U.S. Senator you can even have a resume' that includes a KKK leadership role!

But, woe to you if you are a Republican trying to make an old codger in the Senate feel good before he dies by telling him things would have been better if he was elected President. THAT warrants censure or resignation and a solid week of non stop coverage in the press!

monkeythe
10-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Imagine if they were called girlie-men. That word must be much worse than faggot based upon the coverage this incident has received

Lqskdiver
10-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I think the term is "Gay American".

FORD
10-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Vaginally-challenged?

(wouldn't apply to lesbians, obviously)

Of course I'm "vaginally challenged" at the moment myself, and I'm straight! :(

FORD
10-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
THat's the way the world works folks - Dems and libs can call people faggots and ******s and wops etc etc all day long - the press isn't going to call them on it.

Except a true liberal wouldn't use those names. This guy was probably a DLC coward. Which means he's a Republican pretending to be a Democrat.

Not that I know this for a fact, because I'm not obsessed with the PA state senate.

Sgt Schultz
10-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Except a true liberal wouldn't use those names. This guy was probably a DLC coward. Which means he's a Republican pretending to be a Democrat.

Not that I know this for a fact, because I'm not obsessed with the PA state senate.

Yeah that's always how it works with you, he must not be a "real" liberal or Democrat. But you are right about the word "liberal" - most leftist pinkocommies of today aren't "true liberals" because they advocate and practice hat speech, discrimination and are against free speech. I'm actually a true liberal when you get down to it, although I'd never acall myself that because it doesn't fit the modern definition.

JCOOK
10-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Whats' this world coming to when you cant' call someone a faggot or.. pillow biter..rope smoker..turd burgalar..