PDA

View Full Version : Gay Rights

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Being that in Canada gay marriage is pretty much legal Im curious as to how my neighbouring American friends view it. Also generally whats your feeling regarding Gay rights in general.

ELVIS
10-09-2004, 04:41 PM
What do you mean by "in Canada gay marriage is pretty much married" ??

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Well in Ontario it is legal I can't say for the other provinces.

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:46 PM
I guess what Im curious about is are Gay people considered as equals in the US complete with equal rights

lms2
10-09-2004, 04:49 PM
We let 'em vote! :D

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:50 PM
your to funny...seriously...there is alot of bridges to be built in understanding our difference in our Countries. I think Canada can learn from the US and visa versa.

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
I guess what Im curious about is are Gay people considered as equals in the US complete with equal rights

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :)

lms2
10-09-2004, 04:52 PM
What exactly do you mean by equal rights then?

ELVIS
10-09-2004, 04:55 PM
All americans are equal under the law...

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:57 PM
well here for instance if a couple (homo or hetro) live together they are entitled to work place benefits

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

i figured that...I think Canadians and Americans are more the same than different

Big Train
10-09-2004, 04:58 PM
I get the feeling you ask these questions in an attempt to "Score points" on us. All of these threads turn into US bashing threads.

Are they treated as equals. in everyway, but personally. Outside of marriage, they are equal. Americans generally feel like it's ok if it's out of sight, out of mind. But if you want to do things like raise kids, parade, anything visible, America still has issues with it. It's a generational thing. Like racism, it will take a few generations to completely remove the attitude from the masses, if ever.

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
I get the feeling you ask these questions in an attempt to "Score points" on us. All of these threads turn into US bashing threads.

Are they treated as equals. in everyway, but personally. Outside of marriage, they are equal. Americans generally feel like it's ok if it's out of sight, out of mind. But if you want to do things like raise kids, parade, anything visible, America still has issues with it. It's a generational thing. Like racism, it will take a few generations to completely remove the attitude from the masses, if ever.

Everybody is a BIGGOT and slightly Racist........anybody who says they aren't is a liar, IMO.

:(

lms2
10-09-2004, 05:00 PM
When I worked in a law firm here in Kansas... I know of two gay couples that adopted kids. Thats just what the firm I worked for handled-so I can only imagine that it is not that uncommon.

As for "spousal benefits"... I don't think thats equal and will not be until gay marriage is legal.

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:01 PM

ahhhhh NO and you call FORD paranoid

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:02 PM
ahhhhh NO and you call FORD paranoid

FORD is paranoid :)

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:02 PM
im definitely rothist!

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
im definitely rothist!

THAT is a GOOD thing.

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by diamond den™
THAT is a GOOD thing.

I'd like to think so...anyways I can how would perceive it that way B.T. but honestly I like to learn about Americans we kinda do that as a country learn about other countries.

Big Train
10-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Everyone is hung up on the word "Marriage". It is one of those areas our forefathers warned us about, keeping church and state seperate. The word marriage has a religious connotation, so if you believe homosexuality is an abomination before god, I can see your issue with it.

However, being that the term is also governmentlly understood to mean an union between two people, I can see why gay people feel shorted.

The obvious solution is to make marriage and civil unions the same in term of tax benefits etc...but that still won't do it, as gays want what straights have...the word marriage.

It's a thorny situation, but one the forefathers never saw coming. Who woulda thunk?

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Everyone is hung up on the word "Marriage". It is one of those areas our forefathers warned us about, keeping church and state seperate. The word marriage has a religious connotation, so if you believe homosexuality is an abomination before god, I can see your issue with it.

However, being that the term is also governmentlly understood to mean an union between two people, I can see why gay people feel shorted.

The obvious solution is to make marriage and civil unions the same in term of tax benefits etc...but that still won't do it, as gays want what straights have...the word marriage.

It's a thorny situation, but one the forefathers never saw coming. Who woulda thunk?

It is not so much a Legal Issue more of an Ethical Issue, IMO.

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:08 PM
What I mean is.........Should Gays or Lesbians be allowed to adopt Children etc??????

Hetrosexual couples are.....

lms2
10-09-2004, 05:11 PM
I think its more of a legal issue. There are so many ethical issues in a country that is so unethical, its pathetic.

I'd like to think so...anyways I can how would perceive it that way B.T. but honestly I like to learn about Americans we kinda do that as a country learn about other countries.

Is that because you have so much to learn? LOL. Scorpio, you know I am kidding.

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:11 PM
A lady I work with and her partner (is it me or when anyone talks about their partner I figure they're gay *shrugs) anyways they had a baby via insemination and they are great parents...they may adopt. Rosie adopted right...Im sure it's legal in the US.

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by lms2
I think its more of a legal issue. There are so many ethical issues in a country that is so unethical, its pathetic.

Is that because you have so much to learn? LOL. Scorpio, you know I am kidding.

your right we do! so do americans I think....your leader is george bush.....ours is...now don't look it up....

lms2
10-09-2004, 05:13 PM
see my post above. If it were not a violation of confidentiality, I would tell you of two seperate gay couples that adopted kids... that I know about.

It may be a little more difficult for gays to adopt a "conventional" baby... but there are lots of needy children available to be adopted.

FORD
10-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

If only that were actually true. In Massachussettes it is. In Vermont it almost is. in 48 other states it absolutely is not, and if Junior and the religious reich get their way, it never will be.

FORD
10-09-2004, 05:16 PM
your right we do! so do americans I think....your leader is george bush.....ours is...now don't look it up....

George Bush Jr couldn't "lead" a turd out of an asshole.

scorpioboy33
Originally posted by lms2

lms baby you have a way of phrasing words........right on and write on!

ELVIS

Translation:

I'd like to think so, anyway. I can see how you would perceive it that way, B.T., but honestly, I like to learn about Americans.

We kinda do that as a country, learn about other countries, that is.

;)

diamond den™
10-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by FORD
If only that were actually true. In Massachussettes it is. In Vermont it almost is. in 48 other states it absolutely is not, and if Junior and the religious reich get their way, it never will be.

Notable mention you forgot about......Pat Robertson :(

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:17 PM
thank you elvis..i dunt speak so gut as use

Big Train
10-09-2004, 05:22 PM

Than do me a favor and don't turn it into that. With the gun issue, towards the end you were like "yea you are all a bunch of cowboys" etc...it's turns into your moral talking points. Avoid that and I can respect it. We will see...

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:23 PM
i hear yah b.t., Im just trying to learn and be open minded :)

Big Train
10-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Than don't make close minded statements like that and we can all "learn' together...yay...

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:27 PM
DEAL!

lms2
10-09-2004, 05:32 PM
So what other gay rights are you interested in?

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:36 PM
It was more I suppose a general sense regarding them in society. Like I said i sounds not a hell of alot different than in Canada with of course the exception of Legal Marriage.

OK I got a question people talk about the south being this Red Neck place but Im sure it's just stereo typing.

Would you say that their rights are about the same across the nation or is the East more liberal minded?

lms2
10-09-2004, 05:39 PM
or does it matter if they live in a big city or a small one?

Really, I think you have to look at individual gay people, and not gay people as a group. In the US, people are often treated as individuals based upon how they conduct themselves and treat others...

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:40 PM
btw lms......
your icon girl reminds me of Run Lola Run a great german film..and Im in love with the girl from there...

scorpioboy33
10-09-2004, 05:41 PM
OK cool...well Im happy I learned stuff today thanks guys....mods feel free to delete this if you like :)

Lqskdiver
10-10-2004, 12:20 PM
We keep telling FORD to leave the country. My guess is he really wants to move to Massachussets and leave the closets of Washington. :D