PDA

View Full Version : Moore In Class?

Big Train
10-10-2004, 04:31 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2839280

Ford, given your vehement replies to the other thread about elementary students seeing their current president in class, I'm curious how you feel about this....

Beaumont students watch 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in class

Associated Press

BEAUMONT -- A Southeast Texas businessman is upset that his son's English class watched Michael Moore's scathing documentary on President Bush and his handling of events after the terrorist attacks.

Michael Kurth, a veteran, said he was opposed to the film "Fahrenheit 9/11" based on its R rating and political partisanship. His son Matthew, 17, said that he put his head on his desk and tried to sleep through it.

"It bothered me," he said.

Moore's condemnation of Bush's actions regarding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon became the first documentary to top the $100 million mark domestically. In the film, Moore examines the Bush administration's alleged financial ties to Saudi Arabia and the bin Laden family.

"It is spun to a very liberal viewpoint," the businessman said. "It is absolutely wrong for teachers to take a political position with some of these kids at legal voting age."

Michael Ryals, principal of Pathways Learning Center, said that he previewed part of the film before he allowed the teacher to show it in class Friday.

"I didn't hear anything that was offensive to me," he told the Beaumont Enterprise in today's editions, adding that he did not know of the R rating.

Ryals said one student told him of another movie that takes an opposing view and he urged the student to bring it Monday for review to see if it could be shown.

Pathways is an alternative school for students moved from their home campuses for disciplinary reasons. Kurth said his son is at the school for 40 days after having too many tardies.

Beaumont Independent School District spokeswoman Jolene Ortego said she spoke to Kurth and assured him the matter would be addressed by Monday morning.

School board trustee John Williams said R-rated films should not be shown without parental consent.

Kurth, 39, said he watched it to see all sides and decided he did not want his family to see it, then was "livid" to hear that his son's class was viewing it weeks before the general election.

Earlier this summer, thousands of people watched the documentary in Crawford, Bush's adopted hometown, where Moore's staff had made arrangements to send a copy after learning that no theaters in the Waco area had been showing the film. A Waco theater subsequently agreed to screen the film.

McCarrens
10-11-2004, 12:32 PM
See my post about the teacher who was suspended fro putitng up a picture of Bush, combine it with this one, and you'll truly see how the education community is totally biased against the right.

No wonder there are more and more liberal bitches everyday. The educational system in this country brainwahses them into believeing that communism works and that capitalism is bad.

scorpioboy33
10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
liberal bitches....Uh Uh....Im a liberal bastard....what do republicans get called???

ELVIS
10-11-2004, 01:51 PM
RIGHT!

:elvis:

conmee
10-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah, this is absolutely unacceptable... if it were a regular public school... however, I COULD see how Fahrenheit 911 could be considered discipline/punishment for the students... lmao

:monkey:

Anyhow, there's no reason whatsoever to have an in-class showing of this documentary or any other admittedly biased political documentary without a discussion of the bias and a showing of the opposing view documentary. Particularly in an English class. But this would be perfect for a political science class, and discussion on political bias, propaganda, etc. And how both parties use 'facts' and 'figures' to their own benefit.

:monkey:

Icon.

McCarrens
10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Republicans get called rational, clear headed patriots. I have several other htings I call the libs, but I don't want to post such filth on such a great website.

Angel
10-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
liberal bitches....Uh Uh....Im a liberal bastard....what do republicans get called???

You're not a liberal bastard hon! There's a very special term for folks like you!

CANUCK!!!! ;) :D

ODShowtime
10-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2839280Kurth, 39, said he watched it to see all sides and decided he did not want his family to see it, then was "livid" to hear that his son's class was viewing it weeks before the general election.

I am absolutely fed up with parents that say they are "livid" about what happens in the classroom. We see some parents are upset because of a picture of the current president. There are a million other things parents bitch about. I have a message for them:

"Why don't you shut the fuck up and teach your kid yourself if you don't like it?":D

Some moron in this thread was flapping his jaws about "liberal bitches." I say this country is overflowing with put-upon, mouth-breathing, ankle-biter-worshipping bitches of every political leaning and it has to stop!!

Yes, children are important, they are our future, blah fuckin' blah. People think they are entitled to bitch about EVERYTHING in their child's lives and it is just getting to the point of absurdity.

BigBadBrian
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I have a message for them:

"Why don't you shut the fuck up and teach your kid yourself if you don't like it?":D

My wife and I are doing just that. :gulp:

Angel
10-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Angel - tempting as it is, don't say it. ;)

ODShowtime
10-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Physics Professor Goes on Rage in Class

Wed Oct 13,11:12 PM ET Strange News - AP

LAFAYETTE, La. - A University of Louisiana at Lafayette physics professor was banned from the campus Wednesday and taken to the coroner's office for evaluation after threatening his class, university officials said.

Student Kacie Spears said professor Louis Houston lost control right after class began Wednesday morning and was yelling obscenities.

"Then he told us if we got out of our seats he's gonna kill us. He went on the black board and wrote "911 now", so we were really in fear for our lives," Spears told KATC-TV.

Spears said Houston slapped a student and then told his class he was God.

After class ended, students left the room in Broussard Hall and someone called campus security.

Houston was taken to campus police to answer questions. Officials then evacuated Broussard Hall and canceled all classes there while police searched the building. University police contacted the FBI (news - web sites), State Police, and the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Department Intelligence Unit for assistance.

A bomb dog was also brought in to check for explosives, but nothing was found.

Spears said it wasn't the first time Houston had an outburst in class.

"He's always acted a little strange, he's yelled and cursed before, and this time we waited for it to stop, but it never did," Spears says.

Law enforcement officers transported Houston to the Lafayette Parish Coroner's Office to be evaluated for possible involuntary commitment to a mental health facility. In the meantime, Houston has been banned from the university's campus and his faculty duties have been suspended.

University officials said in a statement they would make a final decision about Houston's employment once a full investigation into the incident is complete.

Now that's something parents should get pissed off over!