PDA

View Full Version : OZZY OSBOURNE: Upcoming Box Set To Include Brand New CD Of Covers

BARE BONE
10-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Osbourne's forthcoming box set will include a brand new CD of covers. Among the tracks set to appear on the album is Ozzy's version of THE BEATLES' "In My Life".

As previously reported, former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell is expected to make an appearance on the album, as is Chris Wyse, bassist for Cantrell's "jam" band CARDBOARD VAMPYRES. No further information is currently available.

In an interview with the Guitar Center earlier this year, Ozzy spoke about the huge influence THE BEATLES have had on his musical career.

"The biggest break in my life came when THE BEATLES hit," Ozzy explained. "They totally sucked me in and I thought, 'That's my way out, my music.' I used to fantasize, as all kids do, about Paul McCartney marrying my sister and all that crazy stuff. That set me off into music and my first gig ever, at the fire station in my hometown."

I could care less about the covers I want to hear unreleased Randy & Jake material.:rockit2:

ThrillsNSpills
10-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm with you on that last point.
Thanks for the info.

bueno bob
10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm with you...don't give a shit about covers...give me something unreleased from the highlight of his solo career any day...

Where's all the unreleased Sabbath shit 1970-1978? You know they have to be sitting on a ton of it...

Golden AWe
10-11-2004, 01:45 PM
ozzy covering "in my life"?

sounds like another "dreamer" or kelly singing "changes"...fakk

Mr Badguy
10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Is there any unreleased Randy/Jake stuff?

I know there are still a couple of B sides kicking around like "You looking at me looking at you", "You said it all" and "One up the B side" as well as a couple of live tracks that would be welcome on CD.

Without an overdubbed rhythm section would be nice also.

And what about the album he did with Steve Vai that got scrapped prior to "Ozzmosis"?

fanofdave
10-11-2004, 01:53 PM
personally, i don't see anything wrong with the
addition of some cover tunes. i believe ol' diamond
dave put out a number of cover tunes that worked
well. besides, its great to hear another artist's
interpretation of someone else's work. unless it's
sammy hagar, then its shit.

Mezro
10-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Ozzy might as well release his bowels and include that in the box set.

Mezro...the last thing I want to hear from Ozzy is a bunch of fucking covers...

bueno bob
10-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
And what about the album he did with Steve Vai that got scrapped prior to "Ozzmosis"?

If I remember correctly, I think most of it ended up on Ozzmosis, anyway...certain things were re-written so as not to have to give Vai the credit, but I think they were mostly solos...

badhorsie
10-11-2004, 03:49 PM
From what I've read Vai and Ozzy wrote only a handful of songs together. They were originally going to release it but there was a problem with Vai and Ozzy's label to allow Steve to play on it. Steve has said in interviews that he had a blast working with Ozzy and would like to have those songs see the light of day one day. Maybe we'll see them in his 'Archives" that he releases on his own record label.

"My Little Man" is the only vai/oz song thats on ozzmosis.

All i know is i dont want to fucking hear Ozzy do cover tunes. Make a fucking new record with Zakk.

bueno bob
10-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Ozzy's solo career is fucked at this point. Either Down to Earth was glued to the store shelves or nobody cared.

Best bet is for an original Sabbath goodbye album, so long as Tony and Geezer handle the majority of the writing.

BARE BONE
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
fanofdave have you heard Ozzy's version of the Bee Gees, Stayin Alive? Enough said.

bueno bob
10-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
fanofdave have you heard Ozzy's version of the Bee Gees, Stayin Alive? Enough said.

I heard it...

...if that's any indication, well...

...God help us all...

badhorsie
10-12-2004, 03:13 AM
As long as Ozzy STOPS working with outside writers and lets ZAKK write the music with him. A NEW solo album could kick ass.

Panamark
10-12-2004, 08:03 AM
I suppose the box set will have the new "doctored" versions of Blizzard and Diary..

SHARON !!!!! FUCK YOU !!!!

Mr Badguy
10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I suppose the box set will have the new "doctored" versions of Blizzard and Diary..

SHARON !!!!! FUCK YOU !!!!

Amen!

How come he hasn`t overdubbed all of the other albums that Daisley played on, which I think were all the studio albums up to and including "No more tears" with the exception of "The ultimate sin"?

badhorsie
10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Amen!

How come he hasn`t overdubbed all of the other albums that Daisley played on, which I think were all the studio albums up to and including "No more tears" with the exception of "The ultimate sin"?

Its not just a Bob Daisley thing....its Lee Kerslake and Bob Dasiley thing.

For the Blizzard and Diary albums they didnt get paid up front and they believe they are owed back monies.

I dont think Bob had any problems on the other albums though....I believe he played on Bark and No rest after that..... At least ive never heard of any other lawsuits from Bob post "blizzard/diary" era.

GAR
10-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell is expected to make an appearance on the album, as is Chris Wyse

This is true, according to Chris - who said he couldn't say anything about it till its out but that we could expect some really cool surprise on it.. he's also in JCband.com and his http://www.owltheband.net/news.html own band Owl, gettit?

Wise?
Owl?

Bill Lumbergh
10-13-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Ozzy's solo career is fucked at this point. Either Down to Earth was glued to the store shelves or nobody cared.

Best bet is for an original Sabbath goodbye album, so long as Tony and Geezer handle the majority of the writing.

"Down To Earth" is the first Ozzy solo album I didnt play out. I listened to it for a few weeks.........I love Ozzy but a shitty song is a shitty song. On another note, most Ozzy fans seem to hate "Ozzmosis".........I fucking love it. Great, dark sounding album. Talk about underrated.

badhorsie
10-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Ozzmosis is a great fucking record.

I jammed the hell out of that cd today after reading this thread.

Down to Earth sucked SIMPLY because of the shitty writers on that album. If zakk wrote the music we'd say the cd kicked ass.

Panamark
10-13-2004, 08:07 AM
If he isnt going to let Zakk write the songs, call JAKE E LEE !!
He's still alive isnt he ? Bark at the moon kicks serious butt !

I love Zakks stuff too, No rest for the wicked is my Fave
Zakk/Ozzy... No more tears would be next..

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 03:46 AM
The following is courtesy of Dean Goodman and Reuters.com:

OZZY OSBOURNE has returned to his satanic roots by recording a version of THE ROLLING STONES' 'Sympathy For The Devil' for an upcoming covers CD.

The disc, one of four to be featured in a boxed set due next February, also includes fresh takes on THE BEATLES' 'In My Life', KING CRIMSON's '21st Century Schizoid Man' and ARTHUR BROWN's 'Fire', Osbourne told Reuters in an interview at his Beverly Hills home on Thursday.

MOTT THE HOOPLE singer Ian Hunter shares vocals with Osbourne on the glam band's signature song 'All the Young Dudes'. Leslie West reprises his guitar work on power trio MOUNTAIN's 'Mississippi Queen', and he "still absolutely kicks ass," Osbourne said.

The three other discs will include demos, rarities and outtakes from Osbourne's solo career, which began after he was kicked out of the pioneering heavy metal band BLACK SABBATH in 1978.

"I've done a lot of choruses and verses on other people's stuff, and I've actually sung with other people," Osbourne recalled. "I goofed around with Dweezil Zappa one time" on a version of the BEE GEES' 'Stayin' Alive', which has been dusted off for the boxed set.

"For die-hard fans it's a real good overview of Ozzy's career," his wife and manager Sharon said during the interview.

The Stones cover is appropriate fare for a man somewhat reluctantly linked with devil imagery in the decades since he co-founded Black Sabbath in 1968. Their 1970 song 'N.I.B.', featuring the line "My name is Lucifer, please take my hand," echoes the sentiment of 1968's 'Sympathy For The Devil' with its chorus "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."

But Osbourne's first musical love is The Beatles. Books on the Fab Four vie for shelf space with weighty tomes on World War II at the house.

His version of 'In My Life' will be released as a single in Europe in November. Sharon Osbourne said she did not know if the track would be sent to U.S. radio outlets for airplay consideration.

Fans who still have money left over also can buy the DVD of We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n' Roll, the documentary shot by Penelope Spheeris during the 1999 edition of the Osbournes' annual Ozzfest road show. It will also come out in February.

Originally intended for theatrical release, but never bought by a distributor, the film has rarely been seen in public. It features interviews and performances by such acts as Black Sabbath, ROB ZOMBIE and SLIPKNOT, scenes of religious protesters and topless female fans, and a touching backstage portrait of Osbourne and Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi warming up with an acoustic run-through of 'Paranoid'.

Well, I guess the box set might have some gems...and a high amount of jizz to go with :)

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, that Ozzy/Kelly duet was fucking TERRIBLE...not that it was all that great of a Black Sabbath song anyway...

As said before, FUCK Sharon Osbourne :) for deleting Bob Daisely and Lee Kerslake from the history...if those "demos" prior to Blizzard are before the inclusion of Daisely, I wouldn't expect anything very good at all...Daisely's said numerous times that Ozzy's initial material was fucking SHIT and the lyrics were enough to make Hagar cringe in horror before he took over re-writing things. I'm inclined heavily to believe him, since Ozzy was more or less dependent on Geezer Butler for lyrical assistance throughout his tenure with Black Sabbath.

On the note of "Ozzmosis", I'm amazed to find that other people here enjoyed the album as well! Many people I've spoken with hated the album, or professed to, but I always thought it was a great rotation and very multi-faceted...a really dark, moody and brooding atmosphere to the whole thing, even during the more lighter moments (due a LOT to Geezer's presence, I'd suspect...Geezer darkens up pretty much anything he touches...).

"Down to Earth", while a lot heavier, just plain sucked. I got the album for about $7 at a Mom & Pop record store, thinking I got a hell of a deal, but, sheer heaviness alone does not a good album make. After one or two listens, I was pretty much done with it. I've turned it on on occasion thereafter to see if I missed something, but over and over I found I haven't (I'll probably try it one more time after I post this, but I'm not expecting any miraculous revelations)...

I think Ozzy ought to just get back to doing what works for him, which is putting together a solid outfit (Zakk or no), letting them handle the music, rather than outside writers, get away from the pop-friendly radio crap of "Dreamer" or "Mama I'm Coming Home" and get back to the "No Rest for the Wicked" era (which, probably not coincidentally, is my all time favorite solo Ozzy album and, IMO, the pinnacle of his solo career).

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 06:45 PM
But not before a new Sabbath album!!

:D

WACF
10-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I think Ozzy and Zakk doing the writing for a whole album would be very good.

A lot of BLS just cries out for Ozzy on vocals...

singerman
10-17-2004, 02:34 PM
i met don airey (the keyboard player on blizzard of ozz)....i asked him if they recorded any more songs that wernt released.....he told me "yeah about four from the blizzard sessions"..those were his actual words....my jaw hit the floor!....where the hell are they then!!!!....he had no idea.we had quite a long chat about randy...he did confirm that he was as nice as everyone makes out "but he was no angel" he said.....god knows what that meant...hopefully its women related!!.he also told me he recorded loads of live stuff on the diary tour for his own collection,just on a tape recorder on the floor next to him....with a bit of experimenting after a while his recordings got really good..alas we shall never here them!....oh and he also co-wrote a song with randy while they were on the road.....it appeared on one of don's solo albums,randy doesnt play on it and don wasnt allowed to credit the song with randys name by the rhoads estate...dont know why...maybe it was a great song,who knows!......i asked him about anything he remembers from playing with randy,he laughed and told me about when they played one of the last few shows before he died,it was like a scene out of spinal tap....they played at a venue with more than one concert hall....everyone was on stage apart from randy....apparently he was running a little late....he could hear all the crowd noise and the opening music to the show...and started to panic.....he bust through the stage door only to find he was in one the other concert halls...which was empty!!....eventually he made on stage with seconds to spare!....don said randy spent the first few songs laughing like a kid....thats the moment he remembers most about his time with randy....blazing away on stage laughing his heart out

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Interesting stories...ahh, the life of a rock star, lol....

Bill Lumbergh
10-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Daisley has also stated that Kerslake came up with most of the melodies on "Diary".

Bill Lumbergh
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by singerman
i met don airey (the keyboard player on blizzard of ozz)....i asked him if they recorded any more songs that wernt released.....he told me "yeah about four from the blizzard sessions"..those were his actual words....my jaw hit the floor!....where the hell are they then!!!!....he had no idea.we had quite a long chat about randy...he did confirm that he was as nice as everyone makes out "but he was no angel" he said.....god knows what that meant...hopefully its women related!!.he also told me he recorded loads of live stuff on the diary tour for his own collection,just on a tape recorder on the floor next to him....with a bit of experimenting after a while his recordings got really good..alas we shall never here them!....oh and he also co-wrote a song with randy while they were on the road.....it appeared on one of don's solo albums,randy doesnt play on it and don wasnt allowed to credit the song with randys name by the rhoads estate...dont know why...maybe it was a great song,who knows!......i asked him about anything he remembers from playing with randy,he laughed and told me about when they played one of the last few shows before he died,it was like a scene out of spinal tap....they played at a venue with more than one concert hall....everyone was on stage apart from randy....apparently he was running a little late....he could hear all the crowd noise and the opening music to the show...and started to panic.....he bust through the stage door only to find he was in one the other concert halls...which was empty!!....eventually he made on stage with seconds to spare!....don said randy spent the first few songs laughing like a kid....thats the moment he remembers most about his time with randy....blazing away on stage laughing his heart out

Cool stuff man!

BARE BONE
11-14-2004, 09:20 PM
http://www.ozzy.com/index.php?mode=full&news_id=123&PHPSESSID=8a62d1a5e7a6c7bb01b2687224b397e8

full details. I'm disappointed.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm going off Ozzy more and more. He's not doing his job properly. I think when he's finished the album he's currently making-his wife should tell him that he needs to quit. Because unless she does it he won't. I agree with Dave-Sharon should get the star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. The Osbournes may have seemed like a good idea from a financial viewpoint-but it really wasn't for his reputation.

WACF
11-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Not as good as I was hoping.

Still...you never now...I may part with the cash.

The thing is the redone versions without Daisley and Kerslake.
I just don't think I could buy anything with the bullshit that went on.

DaveIsKing
11-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Ozzy needs to go back end his career with Black Sabbath.

Dave needs to kick Ed & Al back into the studio and record a VH CD.

Roger Waters & Floyd need to quit fucking each other and at least due a "farewell tour".

All this harboring shit is crazy. Just goddamn do it, fuckers. Then, go home and retire on all that goddamn money.