PDA

View Full Version : What Democrats Still Don't Get

BigBadBrian
10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
What Democrats Still Don't Get
Laura Ingraham

October 11, 2004

Top Democrats advising the Kerry campaign are scratching their heads raw this week, trying to figure out why John Kerry--even with solid debate performances under his belt and continuing violence in Iraq--still is still having such a hard time convincing voters he would be a more effective commander-in-chief than George Bush. But the answer is actually fairly simple. Kerry--like all doves--is unpersuasive on national security issues because he doesn't realize certain basic truths that have guided American policy for decades. These are:

1. The world is a dangerous place, filled with deadly people. Not just people who are misunderstood. Not just people who are poor. Not just people who have different "values." After 3,000 of our fellow citizens were incinerated on September 11th by Islamist mass murderers, John Kerry can still tell the New York Times Magazine this week that "[w]e have to get back to the place we were, where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they're a nuisance." How amazingly irresponsible and stunningly stupid. Deadly people with the means and commitment to inflict large casualties on U.S. citizens will never just be nuisances. President Bush knows this. The American people know it. American liberals don't.

2. Most nations in the world look out for themselves. We cringe at the idea of a 'global test' because we know who's going to be grading the test. We know the anti-Americanism that exists around the world. We know the incompetence and corruption that dominates the UN. We know that leaders like Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schroeder are determined to take any opportunity to hinder the United States. We know that international media organizations, from the BBC to Al-Jazeera, are doing everything they can to whip up even more hostility toward this country. In short, we know that you would have a better chance at a fair hearing in an Olympic figure-skating competition than you would of getting a fair grade on a 'global test.'" George Bush knows this. The American people know this. American liberals don't.

3. America is not the world's problem--America is the world's solution. Tying down the United States--through international treaties like Kyoto or the International Criminal Court, or through imposing a "global test" on our ability to respond to problems-will not make the world safer. It will make the world less safe. Limiting U.S. power will not make the world better. It will lead to more pain, more death, more suffering. The United States is the only great nation in the world whose people are willing to make real sacrifices of blood and treasure for world peace. If we don't do it, no one will. President Bush knows this. The American people know it. American liberals don't.

American liberals are making the same mistake in the war on terror that they made during the Cold War.

They trust anti-American voices around the world more than they trust the American people. During the second debate, John Kerry was still touting UN sanctions as a viable way to contain Saddam, despite everything we have already learned about the oil for food pay-offs to foreign interests (in both France and Russia). Liberals believe that our responsibilities can be shoved onto the backs of other countries that have made it abundantly clear have no intention of helping us. (Although even Kerry had to admit last week that France and Germany will not send troops to Iraq even if he wins on November 2.) They believe in a moral equivalence between the United States and its adversaries. They were wrong in the 1980's, and they are wrong today. That is why Kerry cannot articulate a credible plan to win the war on terrorism. That is why Edwards looked and sounded so vague during his debate. Until American liberals overcome this fear of the American people--until they learn to trust us more than they trust their friends in Europe--they will flip, flop and flounder in their effort to take back the White House.

ELVIS
10-11-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm hearing these Kerry quotes more and more from my friends who don't really know anything about the issues...

Those who watched the second debate said they could relate to George Bush, and they couldn't understand Kerry...

George Bush clearly won the second debate, no matter what the liberal media tries to tell us...

It's over Johnny!

McCarrens
10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Only a moron would call the secon dabte in Kerry's favor.

I guess all my liberal friends are morons...

BigE
10-11-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm not real happy about the way the war in Iraq is going. I think
Bush had to tone it down to a saticfy the liberals. I wish he would
get in a level that place. On the other side Kerry would pull out and
do exactly what the U.S. has alows done. That is what people were
afraid of before we started. That is the policy that has got us in trouble
in the past. I watched all three debates and all I can say is the liberals
had there chance with the terrorist. All they got us was more attacks.
Atleast Bush takes the fight to them on there soil. Everyone bitches about his policies but we haven't had anymore attacks since 9/11. I have several limp wrist liberals in my family. All they talk about how
to appear strong militarily. Thats there whole problem they want to appear strong. Bush is strong on terrorism.
How can anyone vote for someone that tried to undermine the Untied States of America. A vote for this guy is un-american.