PDA

View Full Version : Who still downloads mp3's?

Dave's PA Rental
01-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Did anyone find my tutorial on .SHN's and bit torrents helpful?

Noodles
01-28-2004, 05:26 PM
guess not. >: P

sheeesh, not even one reply. like you, Dave's PA, i dig BT; great program (but folks gotta USE it). of course, i dig ANYTHING that allows me to hear/see cool stuff like the things being shared around here.

thanks again, my man, for trying to help everyone here get with it and move ahead, technologywise.

come on, folks ...

ELVIS
01-31-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm interested!

Lou
01-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah mp3's were great 5 years ago but now that they've been exposed for lack of quality, it's time to bite the bullet and go lossless.

NE169
02-15-2004, 08:11 PM
I just D/Led a couple Zep shows from Presence's SHN Server (flac format), and used WinAmp to burn them --I'll give a listen to it in the next few days.

I gotta get up to speed some more on the BT stuff...

Lou
02-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Wow, 5 out of 8 people are still alright with mp3. With that attitude, forget building up your collection gang. Because NO ONE will trade you for those shitty mp3's. If you don't have anything, time to go to www.sharingthegroove.org and start. Take advantage of this opportunity that wasn't there not 5 years ago!

Cato
02-16-2004, 06:43 AM
this is a sarcastic thread to me.

Cato
02-16-2004, 06:46 AM
I don't trade my boots for mp3s or SHNs.

Lou
02-18-2004, 05:22 PM
You understand that .flac and .shn are lossless compression right? When you convert them back to .wav, you can do a spectral view using Exact Audio Copy and see for yourself that nothing has been lost.

Cato
02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
how did you compare compare tehm?

Cato
02-18-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm not posting the show for traders. just only wanna let everybody hear.
don't grumble about this problem.

Lou
02-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Cato
how did you compare compare tehm?

Basically what you do is a rip a .wav off an original silver and leave as is, and then take the same .wav, convert to .shn and .flac, and convert back to .wav. They should match. I have the silver of The Police "Born In The '50s" 4/7/79 and they matched. They should match every time. When you see a black region in the spectral analysis and a drop off in the frequency analysis around 16 Khz, that's how you know mp3 sourcing was involved. Exact Audio Copy makes this very easy to do with their spectral and frequency analyses.

I have never yet heard anyone say that .shn or .flac has removed frequencies from their .wav. You should definitely check it out, because you can pick up a lot of bootlegs on sharingthegroove.org for free.

BTW I'm not grumbling against you at all. I know you're anti-mp3 as 99.9% of all traders are. I'm just trying to alert people that other than for convenience purposes such as these, mp3 sucks and should not be traded.