View Full Version : Terror-Fearing Sen. Shuts Office

lucky wilbury
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/12/politics/main648878.shtml

Terror-Fearing Sen. Shuts Office

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12, 2004

"I would not bring my two sons to the capitol between now and the election."
Sen. Mark Dayton

(CBS/AP) Sen. Mark Dayton said Tuesday he is closing his Washington office because of a classified intelligence report that made him fear for the safety of his staff.

Dayton, D-Minn., said the office will be closed while Congress is in recess through Election Day, with his staff working out of his Minnesota office and in Senate space off Capitol Hill.

"I take this step out of extreme, but necessary, precaution to protect the lives and safety of my Senate staff and my Minnesota constituents, who might otherwise be visiting my Senate office in the next three weeks," he said on a call with reporters.

"I feel compelled to do so because I will not be here in Washington to share what I consider to be an unacceptably greater risk to their safety," he said.

CBS News Correspondent Bob Orr reports that federal officials said they knew of no new, specific intelligence information that would have prompted Dayton to close his office.

US officials say they "know of no specific intelligence that al Qaeda is targeting Capitol Hill, Washington or any US site, reports Orr. And there is no information that any attack is imminent.

Intelligence analysts from the Terror Threat Integration Center did brief members of Congress recently. But, officials say the information shared was "very general in nature -- along the same lines of the threat reporting we've been talking about all summer," reports Orr.

Brian Roehrkasse, a Homeland Security Department spokesman, said the department had no intelligence indicating al-Qaida intends to target any specific U.S. locations.

Added Capitol police spokesman Michael Lauer: "There's been no specific threats against the Capitol complex. We continue to be on guard now, all the way up to the election and all the way through
the inauguration."

Dayton said he could not describe the contents of the top-secret intelligence report, which was presented to senators at a briefing two weeks ago.

"None of us can predict the future," he said. "I hope and pray that the precautions I've taken will prove unnecessary."

Asked what advise he would have for Minnesotans who want to travel to Washington over the next few weeks, Dayton said, "I wouldn't advise them to come to Capitol Hill. I would not bring my two sons to the capitol between now and the election."

Dayton issued a written statement that complained of inaction by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

"On three occasions, I have spoken personally with the majority leader and asked him to convene a meeting of all Senators to discuss this situation. I am dismayed, and perplexed, by his unwillingness to meet with us further about the information, which he initially brought to our attention. In the absence of that further discussion, I have made my own decision about my office, as is my responsibility," Dayton said.

Satan
10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
If there's gonna be an October Surprise, it will either happen within the next 24 hours (to get Junior out of losing three debates in a row) or they'll depend on the mediawhores to spin the debate failure, and aim for the end of the month.

JCOOK
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Cmon Lewis we all know GW is gonna show up with UBL and have "his people" suddenly lower gas prices to 25cents per gallon one week before the election.

Lqskdiver
10-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Satan
If there's gonna be an October Surprise, it will either happen within the next 24 hours (to get Junior out of losing three debates in a row) or they'll depend on the mediawhores to spin the debate failure, and aim for the end of the month.

Who are you trying to fool!

Everyone knows that you are not all knowing, least likely psychic.

Seshmeister
10-13-2004, 06:29 AM
What a spineless fucking Homo!

Another win for the terrorsists.

They really are kicking the US's ass.

Lqskdiver
10-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
What a spineless fucking Homo!

Another win for the terrorsists.

They really are kicking the US's ass.

Careful their, Braveheart! Don't label the rest of us yella cuz of some yellow bellied limp wristed lib.

This pussy shows why Democrats aren't fit to lead a country in a time of war. They prefer to run and hide rather than stand and fight in the face of diversity.

JCOOK
10-14-2004, 05:55 PM
What pussbag Ill' bet hes listening to the essintial red as we speak

ODShowtime
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
What pussbag Ill' bet hes listening to the essintial red as we speak

Come on now. There's no need to get MEAN about it!

JCOOK
10-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Sorry