PDA

View Full Version : Am I the minority?

bueno bob
10-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Bush?

Kerry?

...personally, I don't like either of them.

My alternative is to vote for Nader, but I don't want to do that, for what should be obvious reasons.

What to do...

BigBadBrian
10-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Bush?

Kerry?

...personally, I don't like either of them.

My alternative is to vote for Nader, but I don't want to do that, for what should be obvious reasons.

What to do...

For for who you want to. :gulp:

ODShowtime
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
fuck it

Cathedral
10-15-2004, 08:45 AM
bueno, since the electorate basically decides the winner. do what i do and focus more on your local elections where your voice is actually heard.
Sure i'm gonna vote for a Prez, but i'm not gonna waste that vote either.
If you are going to vote Nader, then just go for Bush. If Nader isn't your first choice, and Bush doesn't rate in your mind, choose Kerry.

To me, the important thing is to get out and vote, period.
I have heard so many people say they don't vote because of the electorate, and that it is a waste of time.
But your local government is directly decided by the vote count so make sure you don't disinfranchise yourself by remaining silent.

Usually i would push people to go for the Republican party, but this year i am more concerned about voter turnout in general.

Whoever you choose, just make a choice and be a part of the process.

knuckleboner
10-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

To me, the important thing is to get out and vote, period.
I have heard so many people say they don't vote because of the electorate, and that it is a waste of time.
But your local government is directly decided by the vote count so make sure you don't disinfranchise yourself by remaining silent.

beautiful!!!

as somebody who works for local government, i truly thank you, cat!!!:D

Cathedral
10-15-2004, 12:03 PM
You are very welcome, sir.

I want all aspects of government to improve, and some very good people, millions of them, seem to never think about the importance of casting a vote.
but when policies they had a chance in choosing work against them, they complain?

I almost believe that NOT voting is Un-American and shows just how little people really care about the important things in life.

Why let people you don't agree with set the standards in your community?
That just doesn't make sense to me.

Big Train
10-15-2004, 12:21 PM
I would say vote for nader in protest.

Your vote, if there are enough like you, can help get federal matching funds for a third party (which includes access to the debates). You don't like Nader, no problem, everyone knows he can't win. However, if he gets 5% all these good things happen for the party in general. ONce a third voice gets in there, it will seriously shake things up. That vote for Nader wouldn't be wasted, it would be building for the next go round, giving you more choice.

bueno bob
10-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
I would say vote for nader in protest.

Your vote, if there are enough like you, can help get federal matching funds for a third party (which includes access to the debates). You don't like Nader, no problem, everyone knows he can't win. However, if he gets 5% all these good things happen for the party in general. ONce a third voice gets in there, it will seriously shake things up. That vote for Nader wouldn't be wasted, it would be building for the next go round, giving you more choice.

That's been my issue...I don't really have anything against Nader, I just felt like any 3rd party voting was a vote gone to waste...rest assured I will be voting, one way or another, but I think after 30 years of listening to them ramble I'm not sold on either republicans or democrats...in fact, I actually look at them as two different heads on the same dragon's body.

Politically, idealistically, I'm not really sure where I fit in to the grand scheme of things...I swing absolutely conservative on some issues and as far liberal as I can get on others, depending on the said issue, so it's like no matter what side of the fence I'm leaning on with any particular subject, I find somebody I previously agreed with staring at me from the other side...has been true with Regan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush Jr., as well as my local pundits.

I would like to see some sort of 3rd party recognition, though...I just think we need, as a country, some radical new ideas coming from different directions. I think it would be good if somebody else had a real voice to use other than the donkeys and the elephants...case in point: George W. doesn't apparently support stem cell research beyond the 22 already there - I have a problem with that...if he's waiting for God to cure cancer, I hope he isn't holding his breath...Kerry sounds good at certain times - when he actually gets to the point of what he's saying and doesn't wander off into some sort of political soundbyte that democrats want to hear...and I think my taxes are going to go up under him, from what I've seen, so...there are elements to both of them that I agree with and elements to both of them that I don't.

I registered as a republican (ONLY after changing it from independent, because the guy who stopped me to ask me if I was registered last week told me he got paid if I signed up as republican...wanted to help him out), but my voting tendencies go either way depending on the issue...republicans make a big deal out of the gay marriage initiative here on our ballots in Oregon (which is being pretty hotly contested right now)...being a Christian, I don't really support that, but being in the modern world, I'm mature enough to realize that I'm not gay and gay people getting married doesn't really affect my personal life at all, so I'm not opposed either.

Furthermore, I'm a pervert, so the whole idea of girls getting down goes a long ways :D

Ahh, the drama...

FORD
10-15-2004, 12:39 PM
I can appreciate not caring for either of the major candidates. I'm a lifelong Democrat, but Kerry was not the first, second, or even third on my list of preferred nominees this year.

But the issue of the Supreme Court trumps my personal disgust at the so called Democratic "leadership" and their manipulation of the primary season.

This may very well be my last vote for the Democratic party if they do not change their ways and move in the direction of Howard Dean and Dennis Kucinich. But I will not allow the neocons to steal all three branches of the federal government.

Unless you want Pat Robertson and the Likud party of Israel controlling the judicial system in this country, I'd reccomend you take that under consideration.

Above all, vote your conscience.

Big Train
10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
There is no such thing as a wasted vote, I have always failed to understand that. A vote is a personal thing, but people treat it like you have to get on a winning team. The people of the US are asking you how you personally feel about it. Who gives a fuck what the next guy thinks.

It is exactly because of this retarded thinking that nothing ever changes. It is the one time you actually have true choice, but they have convinced the people that it isn't so. It is.

If you changed your opinion about it and 5% of the US went with you, there you go, new ballgame.

I think if there was a third party, a lot of what we gripe about within our own parties would change. As there is somewhere else for my voting dollar to go, a lot of the bullshit wouldn't fly.

FORD
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Bottom line is that we need REAL campaign finance reform in this country in order for other parties to ever be heard, or even for non-corporatist candidates to succeed in the two majors.

Where I'm at currently, is the fact that we are dangerously close to becoming a ONE party dictatorship that it is not worth the risk to throw out a protest vote in THIS election.

If even the two party system ceases to exist, there's no way that the Libertarians, Greens, or whomever will ever rise up to take their place.

Ally_Kat
10-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
My alternative is to vote for Nader

there are other third party canidates. Pink Spider knows them.

ELVIS
10-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Her and about ten others...:D

ELVIS
10-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Where I'm at currently, is the fact that we are dangerously close to becoming a ONE party dictatorship that it is not worth the risk to throw out a protest vote in THIS election.

The Democratic party is in danger of becomming extinct, thanks to left wing wackos like you...

The moderate democrats need to dump the conspiracy crowd to the curb, and maybe then It will regain some legitimacy...

FORD
10-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
The Democratic party is in danger of becomming extinct, thanks to left wing wackos like you...

The moderate democrats need to dump the conspiracy crowd to the curb, and maybe then It will regain some legitimacy...

My preferred candidate in this race WAS a moderate Democrat, Howard Dean. I'm not nearly as left wing wacko as you think I am. It's just that the republicans have gone so far to the extreme right that they have left the road entirely and the DLC types are dragging the Democratic party into the same ditch.

ELVIS
10-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'm not nearly as left wing wacko as you think I am.

In the past, I didn't think so, but you have come up with some of the most exterme liberal wacko bullshit I have ever seen...

I'm sure you have converted a few democrats over to the right with your rediculous rhetoric...:)

FORD
10-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
In the past, I didn't think so, but you have come up with some of the most exterme liberal wacko bullshit I have ever seen...

I'm sure you have converted a few democrats over to the right with your rediculous rhetoric...:)

So you have to be a "left wing wacko" to see the BCE for what they are?

I think Bob Barr, Pat Buchanan, Alex Jones, and your buddies at the Sierra Times (among others) would disagree with that.

ODShowtime
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Ford, you are making ALOT of sense in this thread.

ELVIS
10-15-2004, 02:08 PM
:rolleyes:

:D

Big Train
10-15-2004, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FORD
[B]

See how they get you? In EVERY election, it's just too important to "throw away your vote". Not this time...next time when things are better.

Fuck that man, do it now.

ELVIS
10-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Ford, you are making ALOT of sense in this thread.

There's a first time for everything...

bueno bob
10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Well, I got my little Voters Pamphlet in the mail today giving a list of everybody running for what offices, the measures I can vote on and the people running for local gvt positions, etc...

Here's my listing for who's running for President of the good ole USA:

Michael Badnarik (Libertarian - doesn't apparently have a running mate for VP);
George W. Bush (Incumbant - We're all aware of that...no mention of Dick Cheney as his running mate);
David Cobb & Patricia LaMarche (Pacific Green...seem to have very Democratic outlines of their goals and agenda);
John F. Kerry & John Edwards (We all know about them, too);
Michael Anthony Peroutka (Constitution Party...their agenda, from what they have listed here, is pretty wacky to me...I'm for seperation of church and state, and that just for starters...).

That's it.

Notice anyone MISSING?

Now if this is the free public info I get about who's running for office, I wonder how many other candidates are out there (some of whom I might actually find common ground with) that I DON'T know about...

I think I'm voting third party, just to try and help get the message out that, hell, at least I'M tired of a two party tyranny in office...