PDA

View Full Version : The Two Party System is a joke

JimmytheWurm
10-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Is it just me or does a two party system not make sense in a land where everyone is FREE?

The most hated proffession in the country is a toss up between politicians and lawyers and yet we are forced to put a politician in a position to make laws to govern the rest of us. Does anyone see this as a contradiction in this country?

We have two presidential candidates fighting over who is WORSE for the country. Shouldn't they elaborate more on what good they can do for us? Both of them make good points as to why the other is incompetent and yet, those are the choices for Americans living in the land of the Free?

If you are making dinner for your family and all you have is shit to work with, doesn't that mean that you will all be eating a nice fat shit sandwich?

We help pay for their campaigns too, through various mediums our money ends up in their pockets. Why can't taxes go to pay for a candidate from each state running at the very least? Maybe even someone more common who we might be able to trust in office?

ODShowtime
10-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JimmytheWurm
Is it just me or does a two party system not make sense in a land where everyone is FREE?

The most hated proffession in the country is a toss up between politicians and lawyers and yet we are forced to put a politician in a position to make laws to govern the rest of us. Does anyone see this as a contradiction in this country?

We help pay for their campaigns too, through various mediums our money ends up in their pockets. Why can't taxes go to pay for a candidate from each state running at the very least? Maybe even someone more common who we might be able to trust in office?

Because the people who could enact such changes are in charge and they are lawyer politicians.

Big Train
10-15-2004, 06:56 PM
And your doing exactly what about it?

ODShowtime
10-15-2004, 07:01 PM
right now not much.

Big Train
10-15-2004, 07:03 PM
I meant Jimmy, but you two OD.

THe VOTE is the only thing that can change it. Why people don't want to hear it, I don't know...

JimmytheWurm
10-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
I meant Jimmy, but you two OD.

THe VOTE is the only thing that can change it. Why people don't want to hear it, I don't know...

That is not true, the vote is what keeps it the same. The fact that the whole nation has given up on seeing a likable and truly honest candidate on the ballot leads people to get in line and vote to make a difference. But we aren't voting to change our system.

Because we just play follow the leader with these scumbag politicians, they think that what they are doing is ok or at least that the rest of the world is too dumb to ever stand up and say..."Give us a real choice."

Why is is that since Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson that we haven't had a president who we could look to as a father figure for our nation?

In this country, we no longer discriminate according to what a person looks like, their gender, or what they believe, it is all up to the size of the person's wallet these day.

To a lesser extent, we are like the palestinians, in a land where 5% of the people control 95% of the money.

The only thing you do by voting for one of two people you don't like in the election is give politicians comfort in knowing that the American people will continue to play their game.

If republicans and democrats opened up a restaurant, it would go something like this...

Two waiters would approach your table let's call them George and John. John would accuse George of not washing his hands when he uses the bathroom, but George would say that John is new and probably would take longer to serve you and your food would get cold.

"Well what can I get to eat from either of you?" you might ask.

John, "I serve you beef and rice."

George, "I serve beef and noodles."

You, "But I am a vegetarian."

The waiters..."Sorry sir, but it is a two-meal system and whether you like it or not, one of us is going to serve you beef. You can either have cold beef and rice from John or you can have unsanitary beef and noodles from George...what'll it be?"

Big Train
10-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Jimmy if you don't want to vote for a third party candidate because you have "given up" then don't bitch about the two party system. It is that exact apathy that keeps things the way they are.

JimmytheWurm
10-18-2004, 01:58 PM
The reason things stay the way they are is because nobody thinks that they can make a difference anymore, so nobody speaks up. All I am saying is that we need someone to stand up and deliver a new system that gives more power back to the American people and stops allowing the beaurocrats to choose the two people who we have to choose between. It makes no sense, why not just let the politicians elect whoever they want to elect? Because they give us a choice that provides the illusion of control over our government when it is really the other way around.

I am not apathetic, I beleive that this is an issue that needs to be debated and brought up for discussion rather than swept under the rug with the explanation of "that's the way it is." Anyone who is scared of change hides behind that line and it shouldn't be that way.

Someone who truly cares for this country needs to stand up and speak for the good of America, and not for political gain.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 02:10 PM

Take it from me, a journalist is pretty damned close to being one of th emost hated professions.

JimmytheWurm
10-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
Take it from me, a journalist is pretty damned close to being one of th emost hated professions.

Well you have a point there, but journalists don't have an immediate impact on how I live my life. They also aren't going to smile to my face while my taxes pay for their vacations and extravagent life style.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
True, true...I guess.

FORD
10-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Journalists used to be respected, when they did their fucking jobs. Not very common in this country anymore, unfortunately.

JimmytheWurm
10-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Journalists used to be respected, when they did their fucking jobs. Not very common in this country anymore, unfortunately.

Where is Thomas Paine when you need him?

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 02:32 PM

Now they are too busy being living, working mouthpieces for the DNC to be effective.

FORD
10-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Where is Thomas Paine when you need him?

Agreed. The media could use a little Common Sense.

And where are the successors to Edward R Murrow, or Cronkite, or even Huntley & Brinkley?

FORD
10-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Now they are too busy being living, working mouthpieces for the DNC to be effective.

That must have been a typo. You obviously meant RNC

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Do you even READ the papers anymore?

JimmytheWurm
10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Agreed. The media could use a little Common Sense.

And where are the successors to Edward R Murrow, or Cronkite, or even Huntley & Brinkley?

Writer like Hunter S. Thompson and Jack Kerouac need to start writing in the political arena. The political bottom-feeders could take a lesson from the brutal unpolished honesty and poetic visions offered by those types of journalists. But they would probably be blackballed for speaking from the heart instead of from the wallots of their supporters.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Papers are made to make money. The articles they contain are nothing but dead space between the advertisements.

That's how it is, that's always how it will be.

ODShowtime
10-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Papers are made to make money. The articles they contain are nothing but dead space between the advertisements.

That's by far the most accurate statement you're ever made here. I guess a smiley is in order :)

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
That's by far the most accurate statement you're ever made here. I guess a smiley is in order :)

Yes, my masters degree is finally paying off!

P.S. -- How do you add smilies to your posts without editing them?

Dr. Love
10-18-2004, 03:25 PM
There are a few ways... you can memorize the smiley codes, such as : ), : D or : cool : (without the spaces), or you can click the "post reply" button, instead of using the Quick Reply Box and there will be a link to show you the smilies and their codes. You can also click on the picture of a smiley in that box to automatically append it to your message.

ODShowtime
10-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Great, pretty soon McCarren's posts will have peeing monkeys and humping bananas all over the place :hagar1:

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Dr. Love.

And just for you ODShowtime...
:bananna: :monekyr: :moon: :hogan: :monkey: :cheese: :anger: :guzzle::hitch: :monekyl: :donkey: :gulp: :spank:

ODShowtime
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Awe man you got the monkey peeing on Diamond Dave? That could be grounds for a banning right there...

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Oh, my bad. I just hit a bunch of smilies. I'll try to edit it out.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 03:51 PM
That should do it.

Big Train
10-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Back to the subject at hand.

Jimmy, if you feel that strong, do what everyone else does: Vote for that candidate and spread the word.

Get people to feel the way you do. Or move to Canada, where I hear everything is perfect and nothing bad ever happens.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Canada: The New Heaven!

BigBadBrian
10-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
There are a few ways... you can memorize the smiley codes, such as : ), : D or : cool : (without the spaces), or you can click the "post reply" button, instead of using the Quick Reply Box and there will be a link to show you the smilies and their codes. You can also click on the picture of a smiley in that box to automatically append it to your message.

We still need a "puke" smiley for FORD's posts. :gulp:

FORD
10-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Canada: The New Heaven!

Does that make Kent the New Hell?

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Clark Kent is awesome!

FORD
10-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Clark Kent is awesome!

He's awesomely dead, unfortunately :(
http://www.sergioleone.net/ds-5.jpg

Thanks to Republican opposition to stem cell research......

FORD
10-18-2004, 05:18 PM
But we both know that's not what I meant.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 05:29 PM
He's awesomely dead, unfortunately :(
http://www.sergioleone.net/ds-5.jpg

Thanks to Republican opposition to stem cell research......

Just because I said Clark Kent doesn't mena you have to post a pic of Reeves. Again, a tenuous connection. That would be like saying Keaton, Ohio, and posting a picture of Batman or Mr. Mom. I was just joking around. It's nice to see you have no sense of humor.

And in regards to stem cell research, my wife, who is in medical school, told me that there is no viable link between stem cell research and regrowing damaged nerve tissue. I wish there was. I have a paralyzed right arm due to a car accident.

But as much as I wish there was a way to regrow damaged nerve tissue, I know that many liberals just see stem cell research as a way of fortifying the legality of abortion.

Anyone who doesn't believe what I just wrote is a sheep, baa-ing along with whatever the media tells you and not knowing enough to research the issue yourself.

BITEYOASS
10-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Fuck both these damn parties, I've made up my mind for November:

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Unlike most libs, I'm not going to tell you you are throwing your vote away. I will applaud you for standing up for your convictions.

BITEYOASS
10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
The only thing I tend to disagree on with the Libertarian party is in how to privatize schools and hospitals. They should be controled by non-profit entities, which means that the teachers should control the schools and the doctors in charge of the hospitals. Let the most senior doctors and teachers control the curriculum and medical policies. As for high school and college athletics, make that a seperate for-profit entity. They've been too much of a burden on schools anyway, make it a damn part time job!

BITEYOASS
10-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Granted there should be salaries for the senior management, but it will be based on expierience and knowledge. Not tenure and a "Do whatever it take to fill my coffers CEO mentality".

JimmytheWurm
10-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Back to the subject at hand.

Jimmy, if you feel that strong, do what everyone else does: Vote for that candidate and spread the word.

Get people to feel the way you do. Or move to Canada, where I hear everything is perfect and nothing bad ever happens.

I do love Canada. But I would rather continue to preach for change in this country. Everyone says that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush but the fact of the matter is...a vote for Nader is a vote to abolish the two party system and get this country back on track instead of bending to the whims of the rich and powerful.

If I don't vote for Nader I will probably vote for Superman, he could fly around the world to go back in time and stop 9/11. Michael Moore wouldn't be bad either, it would be an interesting change of pace to see a guy in office who never has an answer but always has a question.

ODShowtime
10-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Superman could kick your ass jim!

JimmytheWurm
10-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Superman could kick your ass jim!

Superman is too good to want to kick my ass. He is like John (The Hulk) Kerry in that respect.

Now Spawn is a different story, he would kick my ass for a lick of candy. But first he would kick yours for shits and giggles...

DaveIsKing
12-09-2004, 10:46 PM
VOTE LIBERTARIAN.

knuckleboner
12-10-2004, 01:06 AM
why not just let the politicians elect whoever they want to elect? Because they give us a choice that provides the illusion of control over our government when it is really the other way around.

dude, you don't really get it, do you? because all you SEE (or care to see) is the national, presidential election does NOT mean that that's all there is.

you know who chooses the candidates? EVERYBODY. and everybody's apathy.

you know where a lot of congressional members start out? state and local government. they work their way up. but unfortunately, too many people ignore those elections. "oh, i have no idea who my city councilman is."

how many people don't even bother to vote in local elections.

if more people got involved in the primaries for ALL elections, you'd start seeing more varied candidates. i mean, i can tell you for certain that there are many local and state elected officials in virginia who don't tow the national party lines. they might be republicans, but if their district opposes draconian tax cuts, so do they.

hell, we just had a republican controlled legislature vote for the largest overall tax increase in the state's history. (sorry, BBB;))

some of the republicans towed the line. some didn't.

don't blame the burecratic elite for the results. blame the voters. and more importantly, blame those who don't vote. and i'm not just talking about the presidential election. if that's all that one cares about, then yes, it might be too late to really have a good choice. but then again, it's your fault for not voting earlier down the line...

JimmytheWurm
12-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah like anybody could have stopped George Jr from making it at least as far as Daddy. Don't kid yourself. Its a mockery of freedom.

knuckleboner
12-11-2004, 02:03 PM
fine, throw up your hands and quit.

Vivian Campbell
12-14-2004, 08:16 PM
YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE!

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/USPics40/perot2.jpg

JimmytheWurm
12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Shit, old Rossy had a good heart, I would have voted for him if he had run this year.

McCarrens
12-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I would like to have seen Perot and McCain ticket. that would have been hella awesome!

JimmytheWurm
12-22-2004, 12:16 PM
He was a little eccentric, but he truly cared about this country. He didn't even want to get paid for it. What a guy!

Loki
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
haw haw. let anarchy rule, fools.

McCarrens
12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Loki, thee vile promise of pain and torture!

What makes thee believe yee can spawn upon the sainted Roth Army like the million curses that they enhouse?

Begone, foul demon, or taste the might of mine Eldrich's Bain Blade!

Begone, blasphemer, begone!

Loki
12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
nay, gilded one. the prince of lies hath no intention of vacating this realm. huzzah.

social-crat and republi-nazi are but the opposite side of the same coin. rejoice.

JimmytheWurm
12-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Loki...you so craaaaazy!

McCarrens
12-22-2004, 01:11 PM
The prince of lies has no fgoothold here in the army of the righteous and strong. His only recetcle of sin is to seke out the other father of misery, the foul beast Satan, and coax him into an alliance that will surely smite the lands of Midgard.

Yay, but the bright denizons of the land of Roth willnever allow that. We are just and strong and decent and, with straight back, we will move against you to crush whatever unchivalry you have planned.

JimmytheWurm
12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
"...any yay the foul beast Loki was cast down to the dirt and dog doo where he writhed and stank and gave head to vacuum salesmen. And there was much rejoicing and playing of the air as if it were a guitar. And the people danced and kicked Loki in his doody covered shins."

Hamisms 69: 42-0

DaveIsKing
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
McCain? Perot?

Canada?

You people are so brainwashed by the NANNY STATE, it's pathetic.

Democrats & Republicans are both Nanny Staters....parental parties.

Libertarianism is the Right Way for America.