lucky wilbury
10-20-2004, 04:10 PM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41012

Kerry: U.S. deaths justified if on U.N. mission
In 1994, senator said troops die in vain if it's part of unilateral effort

Posted: October 20, 2004
3:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Ten years ago, Sen. John Kerry said the deaths of U.S. military personnel are justified if they are engaged in a United Nations effort, but not if they die while fighting in a unilateral operation.

The comment was made while discussing the possibility of U.S. troops being killed in Bosnia, the Washington Post reported:

"If you mean dying in the course of the United Nations effort, yes, it is worth that. If you mean dying American troops unilaterally going in with some false presumption that we can affect the outcome, the answer is unequivocally no."

Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee, has been critical of President Bush invading Iraq without the assistance and buy-in of certain European countries, even though the U.S.-led coalition includes over 30 nations.

Bush has criticized his opponent for his insistence that any U.S. military operation pass a "global test" before being conducted.

Kerry detractors have criticized what they characterize as his need to get U.N. permission to use military force.

"What it means, practically, is that you always go to the lowest common denominator," Tom Donnelly, a defense expert at the American Enterprise Institute, told the Post. "So whatever the least willing member of the coalition is willing to do, that defines the policy."

ODShowtime
10-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41012

The comment was made while discussing the possibility of U.S. troops being killed in Bosnia, the Washington Post reported:

"If you mean dying in the course of the United Nations effort, yes, it is worth that. If you mean dying American troops unilaterally going in with some false presumption that we can affect the outcome , the answer is unequivocally no."

Warham
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
To Kerry, every presumption is false. There are no good presumptions.

ODShowtime
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Warham, it disappoints me that you don't have anything better to say about this.

Cathedral
10-20-2004, 05:29 PM
First of all, No death of any soldier be them American, Russian, French, German, Iraqi, etc. etc. etc. Is justified in my opinion.

War is and has been a necessasry evil througout history, dating back to the day mankind realized it wasn't alone on this globe, and had the first difference of opinion.

War is just an exercise in the strong beating the weak, most of the time the strengths aren't seen until battle has ensued making the battle bloody and costly on both sides.

It is human nature, justification never comes into play in my mind.

Warham
10-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Warham, it disappoints me that you don't have anything better to say about this.

Kerry's stance on believing that the U.N. would help out more in Iraq disappoints me. It makes me believe he has the blinders on.

I don't have anything better to say on it because I believe Kerry says it all for himself.

knuckleboner
10-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
First of all, No death of any soldier be them American, Russian, French, German, Iraqi, etc. etc. etc. Is justified in my opinion.

War is and has been a necessasry evil througout history, dating back to the day mankind realized it wasn't alone on this globe, and had the first difference of opinion.

War is just an exercise in the strong beating the weak, most of the time the strengths aren't seen until battle has ensued making the battle bloody and costly on both sides.

It is human nature, justification never comes into play in my mind.

well put, cat. well put.

there are sometimes moral reasons to fight wars.

but it's might, not morality that wins the war. the hope is that the mighty are also moral. but it's not a prerequisite.

Cathedral
10-20-2004, 05:51 PM
I can't imagine what life was like for people under Saddam, but if i have to use the word "justification", i would say that his removal was justified for humanitarian reasons.

Lets all remember that the reason most muslims that hate us, hate us, is because of the deals Ford speaks of from 20+ years ago.
We made deals that made the dictators richer and ignored the suffering of the people.
That comes from the mouths of a majority of muslims interviewed in Independant media reports prior to the Iraq war.

But even with that animosity, they still had a life dream to be educated here.

That is one huge underlying reason i support Bush's decision to go to war to remove Saddam.

WMD was political posturing, though it was based on faulty intel, it was not Bush that decieved us, he was decieved himself, and has said so himself, It was wrong, he wasn't.

diamond den™
10-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Sammy Hagar gives me wood.