PDA

View Full Version : Raiders: Rice will play one final season

ALinChainz
01-28-2004, 04:30 PM
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

News

Hall of Fame wideout Jerry Rice, the NFL's all-time leading receiver, will play the 20th season of his illustrious career and then hang them up for good officially, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "I can tell you that," Rice told the Chronicle. "That's it. This will be my last year." As for where that final season will take place, Rice remained uncertain despite the fact that initial conversations from new Oakland head coach Norv Turner indicated that he in the team's plans. "I don't know what the situation is going to hold for me right now," he said.

Views

It's certainly nice to hear that, at the very least, Rice will have a chance to leave the game on terms better than the way he and the Raiders finished up last season. His fantasy value will depend largely on where he lands and/or how they address their problems at quarterback and on offense. While we do not doubt Rice's ability to get himself ready for the upcoming season, we'll have to be very impressed with Oakland's offseason changes in order to recommend relying on Rice next season.

Troy
01-28-2004, 04:47 PM
You think he might go back to the Niners since TO is leaving?

ALinChainz
01-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Rice is a great one, the greatest in my opinion. I guess ths one would come down to money and who would have the better incentive laden contract, which is what he'll get I'm sure. Norv says he would like to keep him and include him in their plans, but it wouldn't surprise me as T.O. is sure to go now. I have never read that Rice would be interested in coaching after his playing days are over, but his love of the game would suggest it. Will be interesting to see.

DLR7884
01-28-2004, 07:36 PM
I'll bet he ends up back in San Fran.

DLR7884
That's where it should end for him.

ALinChainz
01-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Here is a wild thought that is probably more like wishful thinking on my part. Before he signed with Oakland, he was in Detroit, talking with Matt Millen about playing for then coach and former 49er offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and the Lions. Now with Mariucci at the helm and the Lions in dire need of another wideout (Schroeder and Hakim are pitiful signings, and one or both more than likely gone), he would be an excellent choice to play opposite Charles Rogers and tutor him in the West Coast offense.

Like I said, wishful thinking, but makes sense to me.

redblkwht
01-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Rice had an awesome career, its time to hang the spikes..
He didnt even make a difference last yr, i had him on
my fantasy team dumped him 2x while no one picked
him up..that tells you something. no offense, he is done.
IMO-

ALinChainz
01-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Maybe he is done, maybe not. I don't know. Maybe as a #1 option, but a solid #2 I think. The Raiders got their offense figured out by Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl and everyone followed suit. That along with the injury to Jerry Porter, their only deep threat, opposing defenses would sit back and let them catch the short stuff then hammer them. No speed whatsoever to stretch the field. Garner was injured and Wheatley inconsistent, along with the injury to Gannon, it was alot of factors that hinder the Oakland offense.

I hope he does at least play this upcoming season so fans all over the league can pay their respects.

Hecubus
01-29-2004, 01:03 AM
He should end up in San Fran, but the Bill Walsh way of thinking won't allow it to happen unless it's a 1 day contract to announce his retirement.

As a Niner fan, my view of Terell Owens is "See ya." He's a dominating receiver, and a playmaker, but his talents don't make a team. I think he may end up in Atlanta with his old receivers coach, George Stewart, who he thinks very highly of, not to mention his offensive coordinator & defensive coordinator (now his head coach).

Oh yeah, and that Mike Vick factor too...
I just see that transaction as new GM Jim McKay's first big move.

They still won't have a defense.

redblkwht
01-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Put that guy T.O. in atlanta, they wont need a D..
it will be called catch up ball, kinda like run or gun.
He would be lethat in Atl..
Rice isnt even a step slower, more like 4.
I remember him on slant routes eating every
corner up in the league..he just doesnt have it anymore.

POJO_Risin
01-29-2004, 01:56 AM
I think Rice will be fine next year...as a slot receiver...or a number two...

not in Oakland...with a new offense...and a new qb...no way Gannon is back...

San Fran isn't an option...he'll suck there...I could see Detroit...that would be really good for them...

I could see Philly...giving him a chance at the Playoffs again...and giving McNabb a good possession receiver...
we'll see...we'll see...

POJO_Risin
01-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Look...if fucking Proehl can have a decent year for the Panthers...I think Rice can probably manage...

DLR7884
01-29-2004, 01:02 PM
I agree, Rice can do it if Ricky Proehl can.

DLR7884
Jerry Rice has earned the right to play as long as he fucking wants.

BigBadBrian
01-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
Rice had an awesome career, its time to hang the spikes..

Yeah, but I guess it isn't as bad as hanging on just to go for a record like Bruce Smith did. :gulp:

Gmoney
01-30-2004, 09:10 PM
No question Rice is the best receiver of all time and it's going to be cool to have him around for another year.

Too bad today's players like that dumb fuck "Keisha" Johnson aren't more like Rice!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-31-2004, 09:56 AM
It's just about perfect timing to go for Jerry....

Maybe a year too late, but he still had a decent year last year...

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Look...who says that you have to go out on top any fucking ways?

Look at Rice...I guaranfuckingtee that there are but a handful of players that are in as good a shape as he is...why shouldn't he play?

If you say it diminishes his career...than you are a fucking moron...being that he's the best fucking receiver of all time...

and playing a couple of years...isn't going to change that...hell...noone will even remember he played for the Raidas...

Troy
01-31-2004, 04:48 PM
I think he could play for 5 more years.

ALinChainz
01-31-2004, 04:49 PM
In my opinion, the touchdown record is his most impressive. The fact that a runningback no longer holds it and a wide receiver does boggles that one brain cell I have left.

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Maybe he is done, maybe not. I don't know. Maybe as a #1 option, but a solid #2 I think. The Raiders got their offense figured out by Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl and everyone followed suit. That along with the injury to Jerry Porter, their only deep threat, opposing defenses would sit back and let them catch the short stuff then hammer them. No speed whatsoever to stretch the field. Garner was injured and Wheatley inconsistent, along with the injury to Gannon, it was alot of factors that hinder the Oakland offense.

I hope he does at least play this upcoming season so fans all over the league can pay their respects.
The O-line was decimated as well.....

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I would agree with that...but Gannon's ancient...and they really didn't have a back up worth a damn...

at least Mirer was looking his way more down the stretch....

POJO_Risin
01-31-2004, 05:20 PM
Rice...63 catches...870 yards...

yeah...I think I'd take that on my team as a number 2 receiver...

of course...I'm sure that was number 1 on the Raiders this year...

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Callahan tossed everything out...none of the quick slants,fucking moron.It's a miracle anyone had any stats....

ALinChainz
01-31-2004, 06:16 PM
The Raiders ought to be seriously considering drafting their QB of the future. Tuiasosopo (sp?) was decent in his relief role, but not the kind of player to bank the future on. There will be QBs there for them, and they should nab one.

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Tui looked pretty feeble for sure.....too long on the sidelines.He was a good running QB in college.Mirer was the perfect guy for Callahan's "fuck it,I'm gonna run the ball thing".I hope those big red fans destroy his ass.

ALinChainz
02-01-2004, 12:56 AM
No way he goes there and succeeds. Today's college athletes for the most part think they're pros already, can he earn their respect after last season in Oakland.

POJO_Risin
02-01-2004, 01:43 AM
I actually think he can succeed there...we'll just have to wait and see...the big thing will be who he has there to recruit for him...

If they can get the talent there...they will be fine...I'm curious to see what kind of offense that he goes with...

ALinChainz
02-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Hadn't really thought of that. The never used to throw the ball ever back in the day. Like Oklahoma of old to. Although they all didn't make a splash in the pros, there were some good backs at those schools.

POJO_Risin
02-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Well...you look at a back like Billy Sims...coulda been a contender if he was healthy...people forget about him because of Sanders...

Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+--------------------
| 1980 det | 16 | 313 1303 4.2 13 | 51 621 12.2 3 |
| 1981 det | 14 | 296 1437 4.9 13 | 28 451 16.1 2 |
| 1982 det | 9 | 172 639 3.7 4 | 34 342 10.1 0 |
| 1983 det | 13 | 220 1040 4.7 7 | 42 419 10.0 0 |
| 1984 det | 8 | 130 687 5.3 5 | 31 239 7.7 0 |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| TOTAL | 60 | 1131 5106 4.5 42 | 186 2072 11.1 5

pretty good stats if you ask me...would have been top ten easily...without the injuries...averaged 4.5 a carry...

Rozier from Nebraska...wins the Heisman...then goes on to great fame for the Pittsburgh Maulers in the USFL...

before signing with Houston and having some productivity...

ALinChainz
02-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Big Sims fan, college and pro. Just as pumped for him as we were Barry back then. He had 153 yards in his first game against the Rams on the road back then, and his backfield mate (when teams would play 2 halfbacks in the backfield) Dexter Bussey had 104. The kicker was a rookie Eddie Murray. Kenny King was the fullback that went on to play for the Raiders and had the 80 yard TD run and catch from Plunkett against the Eagles.

Thought Marcus Dupree was the shit there too. He played in the USFL before tearing up knee. Caught on with the Rams for a short time, never could get it back.

POJO_Risin
02-01-2004, 03:50 AM
Oh...I remember Marcus Dupree...Oklahoma freshman...had about 250 yards in a bowl game that he got hurt in right at the start of the third quarter...then actually transferred to Southern Mississippi, or ole miss...or miss st...before decided to go pro...

I can't remember the team he played for in the USFL...but I'm thinking they had a blue helmet...the Breakers perhaps?...can't remember which city they were from...but I coulda sworn that mofo had a blue helmet...with a wave or some shit on it...didn't he come out after his freshman year to the USFL?...

He played for the Rams in the late 80's or early 90's...right after they dealt Dickerson to the Rams...well...not sure about that...because I know Charles White had a great season for the Rams in 88 or 89...another retread...after the Browns nearly ruined him...