PDA

View Full Version : Geez, What a Suck-up

BigBadBrian
10-21-2004, 03:21 PM
BOARDMAN, Ohio (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry said he bagged a goose on his swing-state hunting trip Thursday, but his real target was the voters who may harbor doubts about him.

Kerry returned after a two-hour hunting trip wearing a camouflage jacket and carrying a 12-gauge shotgun, but someone else carried the bird he said he shot.

"I'm too lazy," Kerry joked. "I'm still giddy over the Red Sox. It was hard to focus."

The Massachusetts senator was referring to Boston's American League championship Wednesday night. He stayed up late cheering his hometown team onto victory, then got up for a 7 a.m. hunting trip at a supporter's produce farm.

Kerry adviser Mike McCurry said it's important in the final days of the campaign that voters "get a better sense of John Kerry, the guy."

That means the Democratic senator is spending some of the dwindling time before Election Day hunting, talking about his faith and watching his beloved Red Sox.

It's all part of an effort to win over swing voters who may be open to voting against President Bush but aren't sure they feel any connection with Kerry.

While the Democrat campaigns as an all-American, his political opponents are working to leave voters with a different impression. Bush tells voters that Kerry is on the "left bank" of society, opposing a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Kerry does not support gay marriage but says the matter is for states to decide, and he favors civil unions for same-sex couples.

"We stand for marriage and family, which are the foundations of our society," Bush said Wednesday in Mason City, Iowa. "We stand for the Second Amendment, which protects every individual American's right to bear arms."

The National Rifle Association said it bought a full-page ad in Thursday's Youngstown newspaper that says Kerry is posing as a sportsman while opposing gun-owners' rights. Kerry has denied NRA claims that he wants to "take away" guns, but he supported the ban on assault-type weapons and requiring background checks at gun shows

"If John Kerry thinks the Second Amendment is about photo ops, he's Daffy," says the ad the NRA said would run in The Vindicator. It features a large photo of Kerry with his finger on a shotgun trigger but looking in another direction.

Meanwhile, labor unions have been circulating fliers among workers that say Kerry won't take away guns. "He likes his own gun too much," says one of the fliers from the Building Trades Department of the AFL-CIO that features a picture of Kerry aiming a shotgun.

Kerry's aides said he spent about two hours hunting at a blind set up in a cornfield. More than two dozen journalists were invited to the farm outside of Youngstown to see Kerry emerge from the field, but none witnessed Kerry taking any shots.

Kerry was accompanied by Ohio Democratic Rep. Ted Strickland; Bob Bellino, a board member for the local Ducks Unlimited; and Neal Brady, assistant park manager of Indian Lake State Park in western Ohio. Each of his companions carried a dead goose on the way back, while Kerry walked beside them with his 12-gauge in one hand and the other free to pet a yellow Labrador named Woody.

Kerry said each of the four men shot a goose.

The last time Kerry went hunting was October 2003 in Iowa, a state where he was trailing in the Democratic primary but came from behind to win.

Hunting is of particular interest in several of the states that are still up for grabs in the presidential race. Kerry bought his hunting license last Saturday in one of the most critical - Ohio, which has 20 electoral votes.

Kerry bought the nonresident license and a special wetlands habitat stamp, which lets him hunt waterfowl.

Kerry plans to deliver a new speech on faith this weekend in Florida, McCurry said, focusing on an explanation of his values.

"The fact that Senator Kerry is a person of faith is something that might help voters who are undecided," McCurry said.

Kerry has been explaining it more in recent weeks as he campaigns in socially conservative areas like rural Ohio. At a town hall meeting Saturday in Xenia, he talked about taking his rosary into battle during the Vietnam War. "I will bring my faith with me to the White House and it will guide me," Kerry said.

The faith, the baseball, the hunting all come at the end of a long fight against Kerry's liberal elite image - an image promoted by his political enemies but perhaps aided by Kerry as well. The candidate disregarded concerns from other Democrats that he shouldn't go windsurfing or vacation at his homes on Nantucket and in Idaho's ski country.

McCurry said Kerry is simply doing the things he loves in the final days of the campaign. Asked if it will include windsurfing, McCurry smiled. "It's too cold this time of year," he said.

BigBadBrian
10-21-2004, 03:24 PM
"I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach. I track and move and decoy and play games and try to outsmart them. You know, you kind of play the wind. That's hunting,"

- John Kerry :rolleyes:

FORD
10-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Maybe the guy just wanted to take a break and do something for recreation, for fucks sake. I don't think a guy who carried an M-16 in combat needs to justify his position on guns with a photo-op.

Now on the other hand, Junior probably doesn't even know which end of the gun is up.

Send him hunting! ;)

Warham
10-21-2004, 03:28 PM
I figured Kerry would go wind-surfing for pleasure.

FORD
10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I figured Kerry would go wind-surfing for pleasure.

Didn't you see McCurry's quote? It's too cold for windsurfing now.

Big Train
10-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Kerry is an REI photo op waiting to happen.

It's like looking at an active menswear catalog seeing this poser "relaxing".

I love guns and hunting, and oppose assualt weapons, yet I own one....but don't doubt me, I'm sure I am for whatever you stand for, as well as against it.

Servin em hot in the flophouse...

Guitar Shark
10-21-2004, 03:55 PM
1. The election is weeks away. Of course Kerry is sucking up to voters. So is Bush. This is FAR less offensive, in my opinion, from Bush pandering to members of the military and their families, while simultaneously cutting benefits to those people and to veterans.

2. There is a big difference between using guns for legitimate recreational purposes and the NRA position. To my knowledge, Kerry has never voted to ban hunting rifles. There is no inconsistency in his position.

FORD
10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
And (apart from their prices) what the Hell is wrong with REI anyway??

Warham
10-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
1. The election is weeks away. Of course Kerry is sucking up to voters. So is Bush. This is FAR less offensive, in my opinion, from Bush pandering to members of the military and their families, while simultaneously cutting benefits to those people and to veterans.

2. There is a big difference between using guns for legitimate recreational purposes and the NRA position. To my knowledge, Kerry has never voted to ban hunting rifles. There is no inconsistency in his position.

Bush didn't cut any veterans' and current military members' benefits. In fact, he increased them.

I think you have this administration's view of the military mixed up with the previous administration, when the members (such as my best friend) loathed the then-sitting President.

BigBadBrian
10-21-2004, 04:05 PM

Disorder in the Court! Guitar Shark is once WRONG with his facts.

Funding for veterans programs has actually increased at a steeper rate under the Bush administration than under his predecessor. Granted, he isn't giving veterans groups everything they ask for. No administration can. As a veteran myself, I wished they could.

I find it interesting that military retirees actually didn't have to start paying for health care until Wild Bill Clinton was given the keys to the asylum. Gratitude for you, I guess.

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Hell, if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I thought for sure I read something about Bush cutting funding both for (1) benefits to military families; and (2) veterans benefits.

Could just be the liberal media slant, I suppose. ;)

BigBadBrian
10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Hell, if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I thought for sure I read something about Bush cutting funding both for (1) benefits to military families; and (2) veterans benefits.

Could just be the liberal media slant, I suppose. ;)

Probably.....isn't that correct, FORD? :gulp:

FORD
10-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Support for Troops Questioned
Democrats Detail Bush's Cuts in Military Family Benefits

By Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 17, 2003; Page A19

Democrats concerned about facing a popular wartime president in next year's elections think there may be an opening in the most unusual of places: President Bush's treatment of the military.

Bush is held in high esteem by the military, because of his leadership of successful military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq and his unstinting defense budgets. But Bush's opponents say he has rewarded American troops' heroism by skimping on their housing benefits, their tax cuts, their health care and education for their children.

A new report by the Democratic staff on the House Appropriations Committee this week asserts that Bush, by cutting about $200 million in the program that provides assistance to public schools serving military bases, would pare education funding disproportionately for children of soldiers who fought in Iraq. That adds to several complaints the staff has assembled: Bush's signature on the latest tax cut, which failed to extend a child tax credit to nearly 200,000 low-income military personnel; a $1.5 billion reduction in his 2004 budget, to $9.2 billion from $10.7 billion, for military housing and the like; and a cut of $14.6 billion over 10 years in benefits paid through the Veterans Administration.

"They're saying they unequivocally support the military, but then they make quite clear that the check is not in the mail," said Rep. David R. Obey (Wis.), the top Democrat on House Appropriations, referring to the administration. "They're taking actions that fly in the face of the support they profess for the military."

The White House parries the charge by pointing to pay raises for the troops of more than 15 percent under Bush, privatizing of troops' housing, and large increases in defense spending -- all resulting in record retention rates in the military. Bush aides also counter that the president proposed the largest-ever increase in discretionary spending for the Veterans Administration in his 2004 budget.

"The commander in chief has restored respect, pride, pay, training and the quality of life for our active-duty military and veterans," said Trent Duffy, spokesman for Bush's Office of Management and Budget. "His special bond with our troops only grows stronger by shallow attempts to weaken it."

But such attempts are not new. Bush himself used a similar attack against Al Gore in the 2000 campaign, complaining to a VFW meeting in August 2000 about "soldiers who are on food stamps and soldiers who are poorly housed." He vowed then: "We will give our armed forces better pay, better treatment and better training."

This time around, Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), a presidential candidate and Vietnam veteran, said he feels "very strongly" that the issue, particularly veterans' benefits, is a vulnerability for Bush. "The real test of patriotism is how you treat veterans and keep promises to people who wore the uniform," he said.

The maneuvering has already begun. Last week, Democrats tried to add $947 million for military housing to a 2004 spending bill, losing on a party-line vote in a subcommittee. They also charge that Bush would cut off about 173,000 veterans from health care under his 2004 budget request to "refocus the VA health care system" while requiring enrollment fees and higher out-of-pocket costs.

On the subject of funds paid to schools that serve children of military personnel, Bush's 2004 budget recommends cuts of $172 million, or 14 percent, in payments called "impact aid" that make up for lost local tax revenues from tax-exempt property. The analysis by Obey's staff calculates that the military portion of the program is set to fall by more than 30 percent, to $435 million from $635 million -- much of that affecting children of troops that have served in Iraq.

For example, uniformed personnel at Fort Hood, home to the 1st Cavalry and 4th Infantry, send almost 17,000 students to Killeen and Copperas Cove public schools. The analysis found that Bush's proposed cuts in impact aid would reduce Killeen's school budget by $22 million, or 13 percent, while Copperas Cove would lose $9.6 million, or 22 percent. The report found a similar effect for the 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Ga., the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, Ky.

The White House, while not disputing that it is cutting the impact aid, said both Republican and Democratic administrations have for years sought to cut the aid to reflect the number of military employees who live off base and pay local property taxes. Over eight years, OMB's Duffy said, the Clinton administration proposed cutting a total of $100 million in such funds.

Democrats are hoping such explanations won't be convincing when military families' children begin to feel the squeeze on their schools. Already, Obey's staff reports, Defense Department schools overseas had to end the school year a week early because of a lack of money.

Sgt Schultz
10-21-2004, 04:24 PM

I'm no gun nut but the Constitution doesn't say "hunting arms" - "arms" in the Constitution actually means arms to kill people, not animals. Outlawing the hunting of animals would not be unconstitutional.

ODShowtime
10-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Kerry is an REI photo op waiting to happen.

It's like looking at an active menswear catalog seeing this poser "relaxing".

Your man flew a jet onto an air craft carrier and with a sign reading "Mission Accomplished." You really shouldn't chastise Kerry for some photo ops. :rolleyes:

And everyone here should be able to understand the difference between:

1. hunting weapons
2. assault weapons
3. war trophies

Guitar Shark
10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
I'm no gun nut but the Constitution doesn't say "hunting arms" - "arms" in the Constitution actually means arms to kill people, not animals. Outlawing the hunting of animals would not be unconstitutional.

Yes, and the Constitution was written over 200 years ago, well before things like automatic assault rifles were even contemplated. And well before the creation of the modern military and police force. People back then didn't have these safety nets, and needed the right to bear arms just to ensure a measure of protection for their new freedom. Pretty different situation from what we have today.

I don't want to get into a debate over the Second Amendment. Suffice to say that the NRA's interpretation of it flies in the face of the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

Sgt Schultz
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes, and the Constitution was written over 200 years ago, well before things like automatic assault rifles were even contemplated. And well before the creation of the modern military and police force. People back then didn't have these safety nets, and needed the right to bear arms just to ensure a measure of protection for their new freedom. Pretty different situation from what we have today.

I don't want to get into a debate over the Second Amendment. Suffice to say that the NRA's interpretation of it flies in the face of the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

You said "using guns for legitimate recreational purposes" meaning "hunting rifles.". I'm merely pointing out that bearing arms had nothing to do with shooting game, it had and has to do soley with shooting people. No one, to my knowledge, is advocating the legalization of "automatic assault rifles" and they are illegal now.

BigBadBrian
10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Support for Troops Questioned
Democrats Detail Bush's Cuts in Military Family Benefits

These are not actual cuts to the servicemembers or their families. These are PROPOSED legislation packages awaiting debate in the House and Senate. They don't tell you that, do they?

Fuckin' whitewash. :gulp:

Guitar Shark
10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Oh OK, then it looks like we agree Schultz.

ODShowtime
10-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Cheney Calls Kerry's Hunt a Cover-Up

By JOHN SEEWER, Associated Press Writer

SYLVANIA, Ohio - Vice President Dick Cheney poked fun at Sen. John Kerry's goose hunting Thursday, arguing that the image of the gun-toting, camouflaged Democrat was an "October disguise" that masked his voting record against gun rights.

Just hours after Kerry shot a goose during an early-morning hunt in Boardman, Ohio, near Youngstown, the vice president told supporters in another part of the state that the outing was nothing more than a photo opportunity to hide the four-term Massachusetts senator's record.

Kerry supports the right to bear arms but has backed the assault-weapons ban and background checks at gun shows. He denies the Republicans' contention that he wants to take away guns from owners.

Cheney said Kerry's camouflage jacket was "an October disguise — an effort he's making to hide the fact that he votes against gun owner rights at every turn."

"My fellow sportsmen, this cover-up isn't going to work," Cheney said, speaking to supporters in an upscale Toledo suburb that borders the Ohio-Michigan state line. "The Second Amendment is more than just a photo opportunity."

The National Rifle Association has endorsed the Bush-Cheney ticket.

Kerry has a camouflage jacket but bought a new one for the outing because he was on the campaign trail. Cheney seized on the fact that the jacket was new.

"Which did make me wonder how regularly he does go goose hunting," the vice president said.

Kerry adviser Mike McCurry said it's important in the final days of the campaign that voters "get a better sense of John Kerry, the guy." That means the Democratic senator is spending some of the dwindling time before Election Day hunting, talking about his faith and watching his beloved Boston Red Sox.

That comment prompted Cheney to poke fun at a few of Kerry's sports gaffes, including his comments about Ohio State football in Michigan. "Of course, he does need a little image repair along those lines."

Dick-head had to throw his two cents in.

FORD
10-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Hunting is one thing Uncle Dick definitely has no room to talk about. I'm sure everybody remembers his last hunting trip......

http://www.kirktoons.com/february_2004/images/2_1_04_Duck_Hunting.jpg

DLR'sCock
10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
LOL!!!!!! The GOP's weak attempts at character assasination have been appalling to laughable, and this again is laughable...

Of course this is all they can do though, being that Bush's record for the last 4 years has tanked....

ODShowtime
10-21-2004, 06:38 PM
I don't know how you could sit through one of his speeches and be lied to like that.

So old gw was in town today... at Hershey Stadium. Seen VH there twice. My friend's rich dad actually went in a winnebago with some friends, tailgated, and had VIP seats to the lie fest. The irony.

So he's been to my old high school and my old employer this year. The fucker is following me around...

JCOOK
10-21-2004, 11:18 PM
I am fucking outraged Ikill only what I eat.Where the fuck is P.E.T.A. And JFK what did you do with the goose?

Lqskdiver
10-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Careful, OD, you're becoming just as paranoid as FORD. Maybe he's got an extra tin foil hat.

As for Judas IsKerryiot (thanks, FORD), he ain't fooling no one. Hunters know his record, how he wanted to tax ammunition, hunting rifles, and licenses. He stands against every 2nd amendement and is for gun control.

Besides, I don't think he bagged a goose anyway. This was too well thought and planned. The likelihood that they all bagged a goose in two hours is uncommon. If you ever been duck hunting you know what I'm talking about.

JCOOK
10-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Where is the GODAMNED GOOSE I WANT TO KNOW

Big Train
10-22-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I don't know how you could sit through one of his speeches and be lied to like that.

So old gw was in town today... at Hershey Stadium. Seen VH there twice. My friend's rich dad actually went in a winnebago with some friends, tailgated, and had VIP seats to the lie fest. The irony.

So he's been to my old high school and my old employer this year. The fucker is following me around...

So what your saying is being rich is "bad". Being a complete fuck up in life, loving dems and being poor is "good". Dems=truth, Republicans=lies, correct?

How you can invest so much in Kerry and know so little about him is what amazes me. You have no idea how extensively you are being lied to. To each his own, whether it be in a winnebago or the bus downtown to the rally..

Kristy
10-22-2004, 03:34 AM
http://www.johnkerry.com/images/banner2/sportsmen.jpg
"watch me bag a brain-dead Texan next!"

JCOOK
10-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Kristy
http://www.johnkerry.com/images/banner2/sportsmen.jpg
"watch me bag a brain-dead Texan next!"

I HATE KECTHUP YOU FUCCING WHORE:D

ODShowtime
10-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
So what your saying is being rich is "bad". Being a complete fuck up in life, loving dems and being poor is "good". Dems=truth, Republicans=lies, correct?

False.

Dude, you read so much into what I write. I care so much more for truth then any stupid party.

FORD
10-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JCOOK
I HATE KECTHUP YOU FUCCING WHORE:D

So put salsa on your fucking goose then.

HELLVIS
10-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I eat my duck/goose with rasberry jam and a little WILD TURKEY.

HELLVIS
10-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Yum!

HELLVIS
10-23-2004, 03:02 PM
All this bird talk has me thinking of thawing that wild turkey ( speaking of WILD TURKEY ) in my freezer and having the wife cook it up.