PDA

View Full Version : New Ozzy Show

guwapo_rocker
10-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Ozzy Osbourne Gets Real with MTV Rock Band Show

Fri Oct 22, 2:20 PM ET

By Dean Goodman

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Reuters) - Ozzy Osbourne is more than just the most famous befuddled father in the world.

Before MTV turned his family into household names with the reality series "The Osbournes," he helped invent heavy metal with his band Black Sabbath almost 40 years ago and went on to enjoy a huge solo career. Now, the "Prince of Darkness" is launching a new series on the music cable channel to remind people that he is a rock star first.

"Battle for Ozzfest," premiering on Monday at 10:30 p.m. EDT, pits representatives of eight unsigned hard rock bands from across the United States against each other in a series of challenges designed to give one band the chance to grab a coveted spot on his annual Ozzfest tour next year.

In one episode, the contestants must bite the head off a bat, just as Osbourne once did.

In a recent interview at his Beverly Hills home, Osbourne, 55, said he thought the concept was "(expletive) stupid" when his 52-year-old wife and manager Sharon presented it to him, but now he's a huge fan.

"It's just to let people know that we're not 'The Osbournes' and I'm still active in my work as I have been for the last 37 years. Sharon's still very active in the managerial side. We're not just sitting in the house."

Thanks to "The Osbournes," most people probably know him as the stammering drug-addled dad who fills in coloring books as he tries to rein in his wayward children and misbehaving dogs.

NO HANGING AROUND

Yet the love has shone through, and he says the show disabuses people of the notion that he "hangs upside-down from a beam in a Bavarian castle and chews bats all day long."

Just in case people wonder whether the world really needs another reality show from the most over-exposed family in show business, the Osbournes say "the kids" are the stars of "Battle for Ozzfest." Their main job is to fire one of the contestants at the end of each episode.

"The problem with this show is that when it's time to let one go, I'm looking the other way," Ozzy says. "I'm on their side. I think anyone who's got the nerve and the desire to wanna be a rock 'n' roller, I know what that feeling is like."

Production is about three-quarters of the way through, and the winner will be announced in January. By the time Ozzfest kicks off its 10th year in June, the band will have an album in stores courtesy of Sanctuary Records, Sharon said.

The fourth and final season of "The Osbournes" is tentatively scheduled to premiere on MTV in the first quarter. In previous episodes, Ozzy and Sharon both diced with death -- a motorbike accident and colon cancer, respectively. Two of their children, Kelly and Jack, went into rehab.

One issue the parents now face is the empty-nest syndrome, with their children together venturing into the world as young adults. (Ozzy also has two children from a previous marriage.)

"We all really love each other, and we're like any other family," Ozzy says. "We have our problems, and we try with the grace of God to get through them."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041022/tv_nm/leisure_osbourne_dc

bueno bob
10-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
In a recent interview at his Beverly Hills home, Osbourne, 55, said he thought the concept was "(expletive) stupid" when his 52-year-old wife and manager Sharon presented it to him

Should have stuck with his first impression. It is a fucking stupid idea.

Panamark
10-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I admire Ozzy for his endurance. The fucker could have sat back on his ass years ago. He would be worth a fucking squillion dollars now, is obviously feeling the effects of a life of abuse, yet still gets up there and does it.

After looking at that Randy Rhoads pic thread, and knowing how long Ozzy has managed to stay vertical, really makes you realize how
much we missed out on.. I know there was rumours that Randy was
going to do his own thing after Blizzard and Diary, but I aint so sure,
they were on a songwriting roll at the time. (Not to forget Kerslake
and Daisley)

But props to Ozzy, he keeps on giving it a go, even when he clearly
doesnt have to anymore..

How about one more Sabbath album Ozzy ??????

bueno bob
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Amen to that...we need to send Sabbath out on a high note and bring it all full circle with a new studio album...

Sharon knows there's good money to be made in it, so before too long I'd imagine it'll happen...I remember an interview with Tony Iommi about, oh, 4 or 5 years back where he said that they had a new album "mostly done"...I've got a live version of one of the tracks off of it, called "Scary Dreams"....very classic Sabbath feel to it...if they could do a full album of stuff with "Scary Dreams" and "Who's Fooling Who" (the almost Sabbath song off of Iommi's solo album), it could well likely be the best Black Sabbath album since "Mob Rules" easily.