PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness: new album/new US tour?

Marlowe01
10-24-2004, 10:08 PM
just wondering if anyone has information on either one.

singerman
10-24-2004, 10:20 PM
ive heard theve finished the new album.....but thats all i know

bueno bob
10-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Al Bundy has the answer!

bueno bob
10-24-2004, 10:57 PM
The Darkness are such fucking tools. I've heard better garage bands that have been together for a week. If the lead singer had ANY human decency at all, he'd be sending royalty checks to Diamond Dave and Tiny Tim every week.

Thank God their five minutes are just about up...

EmpyreLounge44
10-25-2004, 10:54 AM
recorded/recording new disc with mutt lange...at least im pretty sure about that. check out their official site for news/updates

Marlowe01
10-25-2004, 07:16 PM
bueno bob---they are not tools. You're just afraid to admit that a band up our alley is selling extremely well. People get turned off by Linkin Park just be they sell well...even though I don't listen to them. The point is: you're afraid to think that the Darkness will start to sound too poppy, which they never will. Many people don't listen to Roth anymore just because he's not popular anymore...that's BULLSHIT. Roth can still put on a show worth $100+. His voice may be not in the best shape but in terms of music and showmanship, he's still got it.

Seshmeister
10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
I saw posters up for a tribute band here last week called the Darkest.

They're touring the UK.

Tribute band of a tribute band, the irony...

Vivian Campbell
10-26-2004, 07:49 AM
The Darkness is great. Finally some damn music with decent guitar solos and funny lyrics. Any band that is influenced by the likes of David Lee Roth has to great. I hope they gain enough influence to rid us of the Hate Breeds, Linkin Park's and every other Nirvana knock off. Whiner-Bitch music must die and the Darkness shall be its executioners!

"Get Your hands off of my Woman" is an anthem for a generation.

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Marlowe01
bueno bob---they are not tools. You're just afraid to admit that a band up our alley is selling extremely well. People get turned off by Linkin Park just be they sell well...even though I don't listen to them. The point is: you're afraid to think that the Darkness will start to sound too poppy, which they never will.

No.

I've heard their shit, and I think of it as exactly that - SHIT. I think they're a bunch of talentless fools goofing on something that was once exceptionally cool (and still is). There are at least 24 other bands out there I can think of doing the same thing, only BETTER, and taking themselves seriously in the process.

I think The Darkness are the worst thing that could have happened to good old fashioned rock and roll at this point in time. When I first saw the video on MTV, I was pissed at the channel for making fun of what put it on the map in the first place. Then I discovered that it was an actual video by an actual band. Saw it the second time and tried to discover whether they were trying to be serious or whether they were just a big joke...I still can't say for certain, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

My personal opinion, but I think The Darkness are just a slap in the face to the previous bands that paved the way for them (Van Halen, Motley Crue, etc) because they're so over the top ridiculous with what they're doing it's not flattery, it's insulting. They take what was once very important and belittle it. In that sense, musically, I look at them in about the same way I do "Wierd" Al Yankovic.

I'm still convinced that they're just goofing on 80s rock/metal and will probably move on to something else as soon as this plays itself out.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I agree with Bueno here, they're shit!! But thats just me...

JacktheRipper
10-26-2004, 11:47 AM
well, i think you guys are missing the bigger picture...okay there probably isn't one, but this band a great fucking band. Permission to Land was probably the best album i've heard from any new artist. personally i think these guys are a breathe of fresh air. they got there own opionions on what music is now and they want to change. They wanted to be able to use the word love without being made fun of. and yes there over the top, but wasn't Van halen over the top as well. I dont see why you guys hate this band. there not trying to make fun of anyone, there just having fun with there videos. Much like someone else i know.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 11:55 AM
I didn't say I hated them, I just dont like the music. They do nothing for me...

hard rock
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM
i like the music but cant stand the falsetto vocals. they compare this guy to robert plant oh please. plant uses falsetto vocals sparingly not all the time. this guy sounds like someone cut off his nutsack. there are way better bands that are new out there but just dont get much attention. being from canada i like nickleback they rock, velvet revolver is great as well. im looking forward to a new audioslave album as well. jet has a great album as well. the odd linkin park tune is ok.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Nickleback is F'n great!! Probably my favorite of the bands that have come out in recent years.

hard rock
10-26-2004, 12:12 PM
nickleback in some cases sounds more like metallica than metallica sounds these days. these guys are talented and they rock. they put on a free concert a year ago when they released the long road downtown toronto. i was there and so was 50 thousand others. they closed the street. later that night i met chad kilger at the hard rock cafe on yonge street just up from where they played. the guy has no ego or chip on his shoulder. great band overall.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by hard rock
nickleback in some cases sounds more like metallica than metallica sounds these days. these guys are talented and they rock. they put on a free concert a year ago when they released the long road downtown toronto. i was there and so was 50 thousand others. they closed the street. later that night i met chad kilger at the hard rock cafe on yonge street just up from where they played. the guy has no ego or chip on his shoulder. great band overall.

Metallica is trying to regain their edge! I am in the minority, but I like St. Anger. It is way better than Load or Re-Load. The only thing I dont care for is Lars snare sound...it sounds like a F'n steel drum and ruins the overall sound.

hard rock
10-26-2004, 12:26 PM
i like the edgier tunes but st anger i dont know its like they are trying to appeal to the kiddie skate boarders you know. i like tunes like for whom the bells toll and seek and deystroy tunes that are heavy but have a good hook and melody. i dont mind some tunes from load and reload.

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Metallica is trying to regain their edge! I am in the minority, but I like St. Anger. It is way better than Load or Re-Load. The only thing I dont care for is Lars snare sound...it sounds like a F'n steel drum and ruins the overall sound.

I'm with you, Carmine. I liked St. Anger as well due to the fact that they were playing fast again...the drums sounded like shit, true, but even that grew on me after a bit, really. St. Anger was heads and tails above anything since the black album, and it certainly replays a lot better than Load or Reload did.

Van Halen was over the top with their shit, true, but at least they were serious about being over the top...The Darkness strikes me as being over the top for sole joking purposes. It just looks silly and makes people laugh, which is not really what I'd like to see happening for the rock/metal scene in general; it makes us look like a bunch of outdated dinosaurs that everybody can sit around and laugh at, when deep down the music really should be taken seriously.

I don't like them now, and unless they act a little more seriously, I doubt I ever will.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 01:17 PM
St. Anger sounds alot better on the DVD jam sessions that were included, there is no "tinggy" drum sound.

hard rock
10-26-2004, 01:27 PM
yeah that tingin noise drives me nuts. it sounds like lars was in the kitchen hitting some pots and pans. i also agree with bobble head bob that the darkness look like and act like a spoof band. kinda like a spinal tap band you know a bunch of kidders. the general public will be like what the fuck is wrong with metal heads. oh by the way boblehead im just hazing you( he he all in good fun dude)

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 02:49 PM
yeah that tingin noise drives me nuts. it sounds like lars was in the kitchen hitting some pots and pans. i also agree with bobble head bob that the darkness look like and act like a spoof band. kinda like a spinal tap band you know a bunch of kidders. the general public will be like what the fuck is wrong with metal heads. oh by the way boblehead im just hazing you( he he all in good fun dude)

Hazing I can dig. Just be careful - you don't want the Sith Shepherd coming down on your ass in the pen! :D Trust me, my list of victims is growing by the day...I can think of two or three right now that are about to join the list, and that's BAAAAAD company to be in... :)

Peace.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
LOL! The Sith Sheperd...

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Don't worry, my friend...I've a LOT of coolness yet to attain before I'm even able to stand in the same room with the Big Ragoo...lol

:)

Golden AWe
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Justin Hawkins - like his vocals or not, he's cool enough with the fact that when I saw them live, everytime he asked if we were having a good time, he told us to reply "yes, you fucking cunt!"

That's more humor and irony than 95% of todays bands have all together...

Lou
10-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Boy did this band fade fast. They had their five minutes over the summer and then poof! That singer is such an annoying fuckin' faggot too. I mean it's one thing to be a good singer like David Bowie or Freddie Mercury and just be gay, but it's another to be an all-out talentless fag like that guy.

singerman
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
For fucks sake!.....the darkness are a great band...they maybe not too original....but they are just having a bit of fun with the style of music they grew up listening to...it may not be to everyones taste...but what the hell.....i admire the fact they are having a blast and not being told what to play by some record company....as for 'Knickersback' or whatever they are called.....i find them much funnier to watch than The Darkness ;-)

Vivian Campbell
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm glad The Darkness isn’t afraid to make people laugh a little while enjoying kick ass music - it’s the Classic VH principle.

The minute a band or a singer starts taking themselves too seriously they become major league pricks singing pretentious music with some kind of deep "meaning." If you want a great example check out Bruce Shitstein. The last thing we need are more geeks like the Beastie Boys attempting to turn their garbage music into a forum to effect social change.

Golden AWe
10-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Boy did this band fade fast. They had their five minutes over the summer and then poof! That singer is such an annoying fuckin' faggot too. I mean it's one thing to be a good singer like David Bowie or Freddie Mercury and just be gay, but it's another to be an all-out talentless fag like that guy.

fade? you mean you don't see them on your mtv anymore? bwahahahaha...

hard rock
10-27-2004, 11:45 AM
i agree with carmine that nickeback simply Rawks!!!! as for comparing them to creed what da f@$k get your ears checked out man. nickleback will put circles around creed. Creed only wishes they had the balls to rawk like that. as for the darkness i dig the music but the vocals tax my nerves you know and the overall look just looks like an over glorified version of spinal tap. almost like spinal tap gone mad just to much of a cheese factor to take them seriously

rustoffa
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Get your minds outta the gutter, muthafuckhahhhhhs!
:lol:

Carmine
10-27-2004, 12:42 PM
i agree with carmine that nickeback simply Rawks!!!! as for comparing them to creed what da f@$k get your ears checked out man. nickleback will put circles around creed. Creed only wishes they had the balls to rawk like that. as for the darkness i dig the music but the vocals tax my nerves you know and the overall look just looks like an over glorified version of spinal tap. almost like spinal tap gone mad just to much of a cheese factor to take them seriously

Creed puts on a good live show though! (July 2002, Darien Lake- Buffalo)

(with a 5 star for you hard rock!:D )

hard rock
10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
theres nothing wrong with creed they do have some really good tunes but there not nickleback.

Carmine
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
theres nothing wrong with creed they do have some really good tunes but there not nickleback.

agreed. I have yet to see Nickleback live...

JacktheRipper
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
the darkness took and old approach to new music, and devloped a unique sound, and whether you agree with me are not, this band is about one thing, fun. not i'm so sad shit don't go my way im just gonna sing about. and have people mashpitting instead of listening and enjoying the music. i can't stand that shit, plus the bastards dont know how to play there instruments, the music itself just sounds drownd out, theres no seperation between the instruments and on a hole it just sounds bad. Darkness have raised the bar to new music. Before than the only other band i heard of having fun was Andrew W.K.

bueno bob
10-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Given the choice between The Darkness and Andrew WK, I'll take Andrew any day of the week. I think he's got a lot more going on musically than The Darkness do, more to pay attention to...the fact that I'm a pianist and that I dig what he's doing helps too, I suppose.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-29-2004, 05:20 PM
NickelBack suck. If any of you guys have bought their albums-then you do actually need some nickels back

Marlowe01
10-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Never liked Creed all that much...their music has bad aftertastes for me, but they're alright. Nickelback sucks, though. I also like the new Metallica CD---it's better than Load or Re-load for the most part.

Golden AWe
10-30-2004, 04:37 PM
yeah, nickelback rocks

VHII
11-01-2004, 09:31 PM
id say the darkness are good, and i look forward for their new album, and as of now theyre on a UK tour

JacktheRipper
11-02-2004, 12:56 PM
but nickelback SUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. the big one to.

VHII
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
the darkness is the closest thing to rock n roll that youre getting today, might as well enjoy it